• 22 comments

Spirit

IndyCar Engineer
Premium
United States
Indiana
CWM_Spirit
Greetings,

Over the past year, I have been developing a device to make formulating a pit strategy for online racing series and leagues a quick and easy process. This is primarily a result of my own laziness of not wanting to calculate everything manually, but I feel that many members of this community will find it useful as well. I have taken great care to ensure everything is parameterized correctly and difficult to break, so I am excited to share it with you all.

FOLLOW THIS THREAD IF YOU WISH TO BE NOTIFIED OF UPDATES

There is a user guide included in the download file, but for convenience, I have added it as a Google Doc below for easy access. Please take the time to read through this as there is some really important information that may impact your experience as a user. Included in the download is an Excel (.xlsm) file containing the calculator, and the aforementioned user guide in .pdf format.

I hope you all find this to be useful in your racing endeavors. I can attest that it has made my life easier when planning for online events.

Happy racing!
- Spirit

Last edited:
The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.11! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
  • Automatic calculations enabled
  • Added a macro to create an image that users can copy and share
  • Various other improvements and fixes

Greetings,

Over the past year, I have been developing a device to make formulating a pit strategy for online racing series and leagues a quick and easy process. This is primarily a result of my own laziness of not wanting to calculate everything manually, but I feel that many members of this community will find it useful as well. I have taken great care to ensure everything is parameterized correctly and difficult to break, so I am excited to share it with you all.

There is a user guide included in the download file, but for convenience, I have added it as a Google Doc below for easy access. Please take the time to read through this as there is some really important information that may impact your experience as a user. Included in the download is an Excel (.xlsm) file containing the calculator, and the aforementioned user guide in .pdf format.

I hope you all find this to be useful in your racing endeavors. I can attest that it has made my life easier when planning for online events.

Happy racing!
-Whitetail (GTP_Bambi)

Now the secrets out !!!!!

great job! Obviously i've dived straight in to have a play without reading the user guide first.. i know :crazy:
c1704613d86bb0329727f0f54b9a449e--overly-manly-man-man-stuff.jpg

The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.12! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
  • Maximum number of laps for an event can now exceed 200
  • Updated visuals to provide a fresh user experience

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

A fundamental error has been identified and I am currently developing a fix to be implemented with the next update. In the meantime, the widget will not accurately calculate fuel numbers for races that begin with less than 100% of fuel in the fuel cell. If your event starts with 100% fuel, the spreadsheet will still work as intended.

A new update will hopefully be made available before tomorrow night's online events. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Last edited:
The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.13! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
  • Fixed an issue wherein fuel calculations for races that start with less than 100% of fuel would not be accurate
  • Fixed an issue where pit time calculations would not show when fuel was not a factor
This update includes some important fixes with the program so I highly recommend that everyone updates their calculator and re-familiarizes themselves with the user guide. As always, please feel free to message me if there are any questions about the calculator's functionality.

Greetings,

Happy racing!
-Whitetail (GTP_Bambi)

I downloaded your Pit Strategy Calculator (V1.13) and find it useful. Thank you.

The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.14! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
This update to kick off the new year is primarily just a small clean-up of the program and re-verification that everything is working. As it stands right now everything should be functional, and I can begin considering expanding the workbook's functionality for the future. I do plan on carrying this over to Gran Turismo 7 when that game launches so be sure to offer your feedback and suggestions so that I may consider them for future implementation.

Hello everyone,

Recently I had an individual reach out to me via. Discord with a very good question. How do we handle calculating laps for timed events? There is no way for the calculator to do this currently, so laps for a timed race need to be calculated manually before utilizing this tool effectively. Below I will walk through how to calculate this through means of an example for those who aren't sure.

For the purposes of demonstrating how this is done, we will assume that an upcoming event has a scheduled duration of 1 hour and 30 minutes, and the average race pace laptime is approximately 1'43.500.

To estimate how many laps will be completed in the event, you want to divide the total race time (in seconds), by the average race pace laptime (also in seconds). 1 hour is equal to 3600 seconds, and 1 minute is equal to 60 seconds.

Total race duration: 1h 30m, or 5400s
Average laptime: 1'43.500, or 103.5s

5400/103.3=52.174 laps

NOTE: You ALWAYS round up, and maybe add an extra lap or two depending on your confidence in the estimated lap time. I would personally add one extra. In this example, rounding up yields 53 laps, adding one for 54. This is the number to input for laps within the workbook.

I hope this helps. Means to calculate this automatically may come sometime in the future.

Best regards,
Spirit

Last edited:
The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.15! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
  • Added “Laps Supplement” worksheet to aid in calculating laps for races featuring timed-duration and multiclass formats
  • Added descriptions for user inputs in data validation
This update adds an additional worksheet that serves to aid users in determining the number of laps in races featuring timed-duration and multiclass formats. This worksheet does feature buttons that will copy the desired calculated values to the primary module, as well as its own bespoke reset button.

Last edited:
The calculator and user guide have been updated to v1.15! The links in the first post have been updated to reflect the latest version.

Notable changes:
  • Added “Laps Supplement” worksheet to aid in calculating laps for races featuring timed-duration and multiclass formats
  • Added descriptions for user inputs in data validation
This update adds an additional worksheet that serves to aid users in determining the number of laps in races featuring timed-duration and multiclass formats. This worksheet does feature buttons that will copy the desired calculated values to the primary module, as well as its own bespoke reset button.
Thank you for all the work Bambi

All,

With the launch of Gran Turismo 7 not too far away, I would like to ask you all for recommendations on how to make the spreadsheet better than ever. I do plan on making this compatible with Gran Turismo 7 and more user-friendly with regards to ease-of-access and available features. I will likely be rebuilding from the ground up to implement everything that I want so that means any highly requested & practical features will likely be implemented.

Please take some time to let me know what you like about the spreadsheet in its current state, what you believe can be improved, and any additional features that you would like to see. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Best regards,
Spirit

Last edited:
Hello,

Obviously you have done a great job on your GT Sport calculator. Do you have a calculator for GT7 now?
Hello.

There is currently not a bespoke calculator for GT7. However, since fueling and changing of tires works fundamentally the same between the GT7 and GT Sport, the GT Sport calculator should still work.

I'm super busy with IndyCar but maybe (just maybe) this winter I will have time for making a new and improved version for GT7.

What about different tyre compounds used on stints? Shouldn't you do a longer stint on harder tires? Or is this just basically making sure you keep your weight as low possible each stint, regardless of tire compound?

What about different tyre compounds used on stints? Shouldn't you do a longer stint on harder tires? Or is this just basically making sure you keep your weight as low possible each stint, regardless of tire compound?
The way this is programmed is to have an equal number of laps between pit stops. When you are only using a single compound, this is a solid strategy as you don't run unnecessarily long on old tires leading to loss of lap time. Fuel is calculated to take you to the end of those evenly divided segments.

If you are using different compounds, then it may make more sense for you to extend on one set of tires & shorten the stint on another based on overall pace & tire falloff. None of that logic is integrated in this tool due to the effort it would take for the user to accurately test and provide all of the input parameters for their specific race.

Just make sure that if you plan to run a little longer on a stint that you add the fuel necessary on top of what the workbook calculates.

Last edited:
Is this calculator outdated?
It may have limited functionality but as far as I am aware it should still work for Gran Turismo 7. I'm still under the assumption that pit stops fundamentally work the same way between the two games. I've been extremely preoccupied with my day job, so I've unfortunately not played in quite a while.

Back