Gran Turismo Sport Reaches 9.5 Million Players

I wonder how long it would take me to create 500.000 PSN accounts and launch the game once with each of them so that Kaz can say GT Sport has reached 10 million players :dopey:

Jokes aside I think the game will reach that milestone before GT7 hits store shelves. For where I live a quick google search yielded the cheapest copy at less than 15 € including shipping, and that's talking new. Considering all the content that has been added to GT Sport since launch I think that's a good deal. Also from my personal observation the FIA championship coverages on youtube attract a lot of people on a regular basis who are not familiar with the game at all. Couple to that the yet unannounced release date for GT7 (and its obligatory postponement, duh) and GT Sport will probably reach 10 million players, perhaps even not just on paper. I'm saying this however without having seen any data on the growth rate of the playerbase thus far.

Same here. I bought it March '18. I think there was an update that month. So, another bonus for waiting.

Question: If Sony/PD have these total user numbers and numbers for those that participate in Sport Mode, will PD compress Sport Mode into a smaller field.

During FIA, it looks like many people play, but in Daily Races, not so much.

Nothing new, GT sport was released in 2017 and during these years has been sold a lot. I still play multyplayer mode and after 4 years servers are full of players anytyime. If you read the history of Gran Turismo saga you will see that it is one of the best selling games in the world. They created GT Tv channel and every year they organize the GT world championship, the most followed and loved event in the videogames world.

They created GT Tv channel and every year they organize the GT world championship, the most followed and loved event in the videogames world.
but is it ? I watched fia finals live and around 4k people were watching it, many streamers would make much better results playing random game

Last edited:
There has been a surprising surge in new accounts , like a Christmas echo, since the beginning of this year. Maybe an other lockdown effect in Europe, like in last March?
Since it takes 8 hours to build this global statistics, i only refresh them once a month now, and last refresh was yesterday.

As of now there are exactly 13.412.701 GT Sport accounts, so they aren't just counting accounts.
And they would have to remove ~330,000 demo only accounts from the count.

The article
GT Sport hinged more on online esports, and how that seemed to initially put some fans off. “As a result, we got 9.5 million users, but it didn’t sell explosively from the beginning, and it seemed that the understanding gradually progressed and the support increased over the three years”.

For some people and me bought the game after the inclusion of the Offline mode and some updates.

Yup.

They took out a load of content. Fewer people bought it. They then put back in some of the missing stuff. And then more people bought it. Not exactly a surprise.

It's not that people are 'put off' by esports per se, more that they didn't see the value in investing in a game that omitted most of the parts they enjoy about GT. Not just the lack of an offline game, but also the lack of ordinary relatable roadgoing cars.

The other relevant factor may be the fact that over the past year, many governments have made almost all pastimes other than videogames illegal, which has probably encouraged more people to come to GT Sport later in its life.

Anyway, the updates have been appreciated and I'm glad we have GT to play, including online gaming, during the current lockdown here in the UK. I'm also very much looking forward to GT7 bringing back a full GT experience, whenever it arrives.

I wonder if PD realizes that the main reason they are seeing new accounts still is because the penalty system is so bad that nearly every player has at least one Alt account now? :lol:

As of now there are exactly 13.412.701 GT Sport accounts, so they aren't just counting accounts.

I’d rather know how many PS4’s have loaded up the game, my PS4 alone has 5 accounts on it, as do many others. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that there was only 5/6 million PS4’s running those 9.5 million accounts.

Last edited:
I wonder if PD realizes that the main reason they are seeing new accounts still is because the penalty system is so bad that nearly every player has at least one Alt account now? :lol:
Likely, but it was also just Christmas. They probably sold a record numbers of GTS, PS4, and PS+ this year. Back in June 2019 they announced 8 million copies sold. Pre-Covid.

Also reading the article I get the sense that PD see participation as more than racing online. Sharing scapes, liveries, etc... can also be considered online engagement.

I wonder if PD realizes that [...] nearly every player has at least one Alt account now?

I think it's safe to say that PD is perfectly aware of the number of alt accounts - GTS, like virtually every modern piece of software, sends usage telemetry (including hardware info, like the serial number of your console/cpu) back to their game analytics server. Also, I think only the most "hard core" players (people like us) actually have more than one account.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that there was only 5/6 million PS4’s running those 9.5 million accounts

9.5 million users, not accounts - which was the point of my post above; there are over 13 million accounts according to PD's own server - if they wanted to inflate the numbers artificially they could have reported the number of accounts.

IMO, the number of active players is more important (and impressive) than total players. According to kudos GTS is still pulling in around 100k players every week, the same as 25 weeks post release. I don't know any other racing game that has that kind of longevity and number (apart from GTA probably, but that isn't racing in the traditional sense).

They must be close to 10 million. Which makes the bottom of this list.

There's a few other driving games on there. Like Forza 3 at 10 million. And 2 MarioKart like clones. GKart by TenCent Games in China with 700 million players, making it 4th overall. And Crazyracing Kartrider by Nexon of Korea with 380 million players, 11th overall, just ahead of Fortnite.

List of most-played video games by player count - Wikipedia

Back