Gran Turismo Sport Selected for First Ever Olympic Virtual Series

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 218 comments
Why is the Philippines not included?
Ask someone familiar with the Philippines. Not going to get much info from someone in Europe.

Most likely reason is Philippine Laws. Seems to be the reason for other areas. For context, there are about 200 countries, about 60 are included.

If PD really wanted more people participating they shouldn't have made it a time trial format that the vast majority of players know that they have zero chance of qualifying for, then on top of that put it on a tight track that has walls right up against the tarmac and making each wall scrape invalidate the lap time.

PD, if this Olympic thing involved even one single actual race that the normal everyday player could participate in, I guarantee you the participation would have skyrocketed. But most people playing GTS don't like Time Trials all that much, let alone one that involves putting in a decent amount of time to put in a lap that doesn't involve breathing to hard on a wall as you go past it.

No player that's been playing this game longer than a few months is going to care about 400k in-game credits.
Well 400k could get players the GR86 and potentially:

A Gr.4 car is worth 350k. ;):sly:

I wish I was faster but that was a fun time trial. Final time 1:58.089. Rank 4241 (with 10 minutes left).

Had about a second gap with my optimal so a bit disappointed I couldn't put that together. But had fun trying.

Final results should be very exciting. EMEA region down to the wire.

So, according to the final ranking the competitors for each region should be these, right?

EMEA (7):
  1. Williams_BRacer (Italy)
  2. R8G_TSUTSU (France)
  3. PR1_JOSETE (Spain)
  4. Williams_Gio (Italy)
  5. TRL_LIGHTNING (Germany)
  6. coqueIopez14 (Spain)
  7. Fuvaros8 (Hungary)
Asia (4)
  1. Kerokkuma_ej20 (Japan)
  2. OA4life_ (Japan)
  3. Akagi_1942mi (Japan)
  4. ox14445 (Japan)
North America (2):
  1. PX7-Deafsun (Canada)
  2. PX7-Lamb (United States)
Central & South America (2):
  1. YASHEAT_Loyrot (Chile)
  2. IOF_RACING17 (Brazil)
Oceania (1):
  1. Adam_2167 (Australia)

So, according to the final ranking the competitors for each region should be these, right?

EMEA (7):
  1. Williams_BRacer (Italy)
  2. R8G_TSUTSU (France)
  3. PR1_JOSETE (Spain)
  4. Williams_Gio (Italy)
  5. TRL_LIGHTNING (Germany)
  6. coqueIopez14 (Spain)
  7. Fuvaros8 (Hungary)
Asia (4)
  1. Kerokkuma_ej20 (Japan)
  2. OA4life_ (Japan)
  3. Akagi_1942mi (Japan)
  4. ox14445 (Japan)
North America (2):
  1. PX7-Deafsun (Canada)
  2. PX7-Lamb (United States)
Central & South America (2):
  1. YASHEAT_Loyrot (Chile)
  2. IOF_RACING17 (Brazil)
Oceania (1):
  1. Adam_2167 (Australia)
No - there's a maximum of one per nation.

That means only Valerio Gallo from Italy, only Jose Serrano from Spain, and only Takuma Miyazono from Japan.

You've missed out Nikita Moysov from Czech Republic, who qualified ahead of Blazsan. The other qualified players are Kostas Konstantinou (Greece), Stanford Chau (HK), Nathiyas Sirigiya (Thailand), Taj Aiman (Malaysia).

Edit: I was looking at an old list. Wong hasn't qualified, as he's behind B0SSSSCHAU.

Last edited:
That may be the first time I've seen a Malaysian making it to the Finals of a GT Championship, let alone the Virtual Olympics!

I knew with the one per nation rule that the Asia region was going to produce some interesting results.

Last edited:
Pretty happy with my 897th position. It looks so easy when watching those lap guide videos from Fraga or Hizal. But after all, 1:56.755 was all I managed to do.

Been practicing for The Olympics all week-end.
2014-10-03-Whackamole-365x314.jpg

Does anyone know how many people participated in this Time Trial?

Edit: It's in the text, almost 40,000

Bye the way, congrats Gallo for the record, and the other pilots who managed to qualify for these Virtual Olympics! :cheers:

Last edited:
Congrats all qualifiers!

Did not take part in the time trial myself as too many other gaming 'events' going on, I shall watcht he final's though as am on holiday that weekend for my birthday so that will be a nice treat to watch.

Most certainly COVID helped bring it out to the barn to get shot. E-sports took off, Twitch exploded, seeing guys like nico rosberg and Lando Norris having sim channels and guys like demsy proton racing are investing in sim competitions.

no way we will get the 80-90s competition Olympics again
You're probably right, though it's been a while now the Olympics have been going down hill.

Yeah.
On one hand it’s great to have more exposure for sim racing in any way possible, but these games are not worthy of the Olympics.
Everything’s in the Olympics now.
I could see virtual hot dog eating getting a gold medal.
Maybe basketweaving too and Tetris. It’s just too much.
They are not sports.
The Olympics are now completely meaningless.
It all started with synchronized swimming, and YES, they had INDIVIDUAL synchronized swimming.
Smh
facepalm
I eagerly await its return lol
They should have the Olympics video game in the Olympics lol. The Olympics are becoming too expensive too host for most countries now.

It was possible to compete in the Olympics on your TV in the 80s. Both rowing and cycling was included.

Also in the 90s and 00s. Konami's Track and Field. These really are some of the best games out there. Me and my mates have been longing for a new one for years, we want our blisters back.

There is a Tokyo Olympics on the Japanese store but it misses the mark, mostly team sports and non track and field.
GT Sport provides the best spectator experience in sim racing, by far.

That combined with it being the official racing game of the FIA makes it a natural pick.

Well done to them, I’m sure they’ll put on a good show :)
They most likely chose it because it's a Japanese developer/ publisher first and foremost.
Take a look at some of the other games. It may change some
Konami Powerful Pro Baseball (teamed with The World Baseball Softball Confederation.). Looks cute but has cult status in Japan.

]
_118169132_d87a36c9-13d3-4267-bb07-9c226f0afc94.jpg

Zwift (teamed with Union Cycliste Internationale)

OIP.L7vDA99vmZz8q4wprbEp8wHaEK

Virtual Regatta (teamed with World Sailing)

R513fbe710d101e3b957cdd84f79741e4

Rowing game TBD by World Rowing. What past competition looked like.

2021-World-Rowing-Indoor-Championships-goes-virtual-1-Featured.jpg

Super mega baseball is a great franchise, sits in between these 2 games ( mlb) I wonder if they secretly make Japan have super stats on all these Japanese games being used.
I worked at Konami Europe for a few years. This game was seen by us as "that Japan-only title which is crazy successful".

Don't remember any numbers but I think it was outperforming Pro Evolution Soccer's worldwide stats, the thing's a juggernaut over there. They love their baseball.
If you're still un contact with Konami please tell, yes tell not ask, to please make a new Track and field, old school mechanics, no fancy stuff.

It doesn't work that way. "Hey you, make game" isn't a sound business plan :D
Haha of course but how do you know if you dont try? There hasn't been a track and field or Olympics game since 2012 iirc. I wonder if lack of sales had anything to do with it due to being online when you need to play in the same room as your mates so you can punch them in the arm when you catch them sneakily using a lighter or pen?

Haha of course but how do you know if you dont try? There hasn't been a track and field or Olympics game since 2012 iirc. I wonder if lack of sales had anything to do with it due to being online when you need to play in the same room as your mates so you can punch them in the arm when you catch them sneakily using a lighter or pen?
There was an official Olympics game (by Sega) released in Japan a year before the original planned Olympics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020_-_The_Official_Video_Game

Ended between 5800-5900th. Only did a couple laps
I did enough laps to set a time. Getting my lap DQd for breathing on the barrier was getting tiresome. Though for the sake of competition fairness and integrity at the top, I understand and support it.

I’d rather KDE remake Pro Evolution Soccer 6 :D

I am thoroughly disappointed by the inability to participate as a Croat.

Who am I even supposed to ask about the reason?...
so i don't burn ps4 anymore
pity consuming electricity-max level-max money-there are no new trails-no new cars-there is no purchase of ps5 either-nor is it in the store-nor is there a gt7

Olympics only for privileged

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the kudos page of the 3 non-Japanese Asian drivers, as I've never seen their names before, and their SR fluctuates quite a bit (with dips into the 50s once or twice). That's the problem with using a TT as a qualifier I guess. Let's hope the penalty system holds up in Tokyo :lol:

There was an official Olympics game (by Sega) released in Japan a year before the original planned Olympics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020_-_The_Official_Video_Game
I have the demo, I did mention that game but it's just not a good attempt.
I’d rather KDE remake Pro Evolution Soccer 6 :D
Funny you say that because I was also going to say "tell them to bring brack real defending in PES or just put a new skin on PES6".

PES 5/6 were the best football games ever. Pes 5 had perfect free kicks but crap refs ( also you could score from kick offs as the opposing keeper would sprint forward ). Pes 6 had good refs but bitched freekicks, and they fixed the mick off issue. I miss goat pes so much.

Who cares? I didn't qualify for top 16 so why would I care who did?

The games hierarchy system is absolute ******** and it's just the same sad bastards who probably sit at their PlayStation 23 hours a day winning every comp

Definitely an unfair system and it's a shame cos the game itself is fantastic!

Fun fact: The laptime at the bottom of the leaderboard is just over 40 hours.

E2YgDRDXwAA4f_c

As for me, I gave up pretty quickly when I realized just how big the frustration potential is with those unforgiving contact rules. Not that I was gonna get even remotely close to the top anyway.

Last edited:

The games hierarchy system is absolute ******** and it's just the same sad bastards who probably sit at their PlayStation 23 hours a day winning every comp

How is it unfair? In every Olympic sport, only the best very few have a realistic chance of making it and it is no different with GT Sport.

The people who put the most in get the most out is unfair?

Back