Gran Turismo Sport Spec II Arrives October 4

Everybody is playing Spec II. There are no differences. Spec II is just the game updated to 1.39, and everyone has to update beyond that to the latest patch just to allow online play.

AND SO, EVERYBODY IS PLAYING SPEC II. đź‘Ť
Ok thanks for clearing this up, but i find it odd that they're asking ~10$ more, for updates that are already downloadable for free.

Ok thanks for clearing this up, but i find it odd that they're asking ~10$ more, for updates that are already downloadable for free.
I guess it's to save time and put the game under a new light. I would gladly wait through 50 updates but a lot of people have a worse connection than mine.

I guess it's to save time and put the game under a new light. I would gladly wait through 50 updates but a lot of people have a worse connection than mine.
I could be wrong, but i just checked that both downloadable versions share the exact file size of ~43gb...
As far as i know, every digital copies should include all patches aswell.

Last edited:
The downloads will be identical for both versions.
The higher price for spec II is essentially just paying for...

"Included are the top 10 performing cars from the 2018 FIA-certified GT championships and 2.5 million in-game credits."

...which are added to your garage/profile as soon as the game is installed so that you have cars and credits to get you up and racing straight away.

EDIT: The extra cost for the 2x bluray disc version is of course to cover the costs of producing that second disc.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but i just checked that both downloadable versions share the exact file size of ~43gb...
As far as i know, every digital copies should include all patches aswell.
That's... huge. :dunce:

Yes, once you've downloaded it all.

"Spec II" literally means "All the updates up to v1.39 on a disc". The difference is a Spec II buyer will only need to download four months of updates, but an original GT Sport buyer has two years of updates to wait through.
Well it's not really a Spec II then is it...

What would be neat is if, when the servers will eventually be switched off, they released a "Final Edition" that contained all the updates, and also contained all the campaign leaderboards, so someone could install the final edition any time from then on and have the leaderboard times available for comparison, including performances of people on their friends list.

I don't know, is it? What would "really a Spec II" be?
What we got in GT5. That had an extensive Spec II update which added a host of new content to the game. This so-called Spec II isn't adding anything new, it's just a timesaver pack so people don't have to go through as many updates.

What we got in GT5. That had an extensive Spec II update which added a host of new content to the game. This so-called Spec II isn't adding anything new, it's just a timesaver pack so people don't have to go through as many updates.
GT5's was called "Spec 2.0" and brought game version 2.0. That's all it brought, and that was the game's 13th update. And, crucially, "GT5 Spec 2.0" was only available in Japan.

As for the "host of new content", GT5's game version v2.00 actually brought:
A new opening movie
11 NASCAR stock cars
Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11
Mid-race saves
Simplified cockpits
Daily login bonus

It also enabled DLC compatibility, and the first of those - Kart Space, Spa ($5 course pack), the Touring Car pack ($8), paint pack ($2) and racing gear pack ($3) - arrived a week later and was not included in the GT5 Spec 2.0 box. Primarily what buying "Spec 2.0" did was save you having to download 13 updates, and added 12 cars, compared to the base game. And a new opening movie.

The US market "Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition" arrived almost three months later, and included vouchers for that DLC - and I think also for the later hot hatch car pack.

Last was the European (and Australian) equivalent. GT5 Academy Edition didn't arrive until nearly a year later, in September 2012, but included all the DLC up to the Speed Test pack, but not the Twin Ring Motegi pack which is odd as that came out in June 2012. I think that this is what you're thinking of when you say GT5's Spec II was "really a Spec II", but this wasn't GT5's Spec II. "Spec 2.0" was.

Meanwhile GT Sport Spec II saves you having to download 37 updates, and adds 125 cars and 36 tracks, compared to the base game. And a new opening movie.

Our only other "Spec II" was GT5 Prologue. That expanded the game from 37 to 71 cars, and added one track (High Speed Ring, forward and reverse). That came on a new disc in Japan, but it was also the first version of the game outside Japan. There was also a "Spec III" with all the updates released in Japan on a new disc.

GT5's was called "Spec 2.0" and brought game version 2.0. That's all it brought, and that was the game's 13th update. And, crucially, "GT5 Spec 2.0" was only available in Japan.

A new opening movie
11 NASCAR stock cars
Mid-race saves
Simplified cockpits
Daily login bonus

It also enabled DLC compatibility, and the first of those - Kart Space, Spa ($5 course pack), the Touring Car pack ($8), paint pack ($2) and racing gear pack ($3) - arrived a week later and was not included in the GT5 Spec 2.0 box. Primarily what buying "Spec 2.0" did was save you having to download 13 updates, and added 12 cars, compared to the base game. And a new opening movie.

The US market "Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition" arrived almost three months later, and included vouchers for that DLC - and I think also for the later hot hatch car pack.

Last was the European (and Australian) equivalent. GT5 Academy Edition didn't arrive until nearly a year later, in September 2012, but included all the DLC up to the Speed Test pack, but not the Twin Ring Motegi pack which is odd as that came out in June 2012. I think that this is what you're thinking of when you say GT5's Spec II was "really a Spec II", but this wasn't GT5's Spec II. "Spec 2.0" was.

Meanwhile GT Sport Spec II saves you having to download 37 updates, and adds 125 cars and 36 tracks, compared to the base game. And a new opening movie.

Our only other "Spec II" was GT5 Prologue. That expanded the game from 37 to 71 cars, and added one track (High Speed Ring, forward and reverse). That came on a new disc in Japan, but it was also the first version of the game outside Japan. There was also a "Spec III" with all the updates released in Japan on a new disc.
I thought that Spec 2.0 included all the touring cars. Obviously not.

A new opening movie
11 NASCAR stock cars
Mid-race saves
Simplified cockpits
Daily login bonus

Interesting. My GT5 copy was already a Spec 2.0 when I got the 2013 Edition way back 6 years ago.

Interesting. My GT5 copy was already a Spec 2.0 when I got the 2013 Edition way back 6 years ago.
Yes, all of the post v2.00 releases had v2.00 on the disc. The 2013 Edition was the Academy Edition, with Twin Ring Motegi DLC included in the price, but for Asia.

Hi All,

Has anyone bought GT Sport Spec 2 in the UK from a major retailer?

I cant see it on any list for UK retailers, only place i have seen this listed on is on ebay. Also im not interested in downloading a100gb game from the PS store.

Thanks

Hi All,

I cant see it on any list for UK retailers, only place i have seen this listed on is on ebay. Also im not interested in downloading a100gb game from the PS store.

Thanks
I haven't even found a country where you can buy a physical copy of Spec II, though the official site suggests it is available depending on country...

I've already asked someone who might be able to assist. I'll answer when I can, but it seems unlikely that it'll be available in the UK as literally nowhere you'd expect to buy it stocks it.

I haven't even found a country where you can buy a physical copy of Spec II, though the official site suggests it is available depending on country...

I've already asked someone who might be able to assist. I'll answer when I can, but it seems unlikely that it'll be available in the UK as literally nowhere you'd expect to buy it stocks it.

Thanks. I have finally bought a PS4 pro and getting GT Sport is a no brainer but dont want to spend a week downloading updates or buy a digital copy.

Hi All,

Thanks
For what it's worth, it's not in the US either. Just the "greatest hits" version seems to be available. From what I was told, physical copies might be a JP only release.

For what it's worth, it's not in the US either. Just the "greatest hits" version seems to be available. From what I was told, physical copies might be a JP only release.
You can definitely get it in the Netherlands, but I can't imagine that's the only place in Europe...

Funny this thread pops up. Last week, I watched the past Spec II videos and noticed the Red Bull cars take Center stage. Same with this recent Spec II.

Back