Gran Turismo Sport to Stage Online FIA Championship Finals for 2020

I wonder if this'll be the final of finals for GTS or if there will be a 2021 season too.

I wonder if this'll be the final of finals for GTS or if there will be a 2021 season too.

Sport Mode/e sports will surely continue in following iterations, perhaps under a different name (probably just dropping the “sport” from the name to be transferrable and understandable, I.e. Gran Turismo FIA World Championship). E sports is too much of a growing business and social attraction to have it go away. It’s just a matter of when the platform transitions to 7 IMO.

Last edited:
Sport Mode/e sports will surely continue in following iterations, perhaps under a different name (probably just dropping the “sport” from the name to be transferrable and understandable, I.e. Gran Turismo FIA World Championship). E sports is too much of a growing business and social attraction to have it go away. It’s just a matter of when the platform transitions to 7 IMO.
Well yes, I know that. I was saying that I wonder if this will be the final on held using GTS, not the final one altogether. 👍

I race with guys from all over the world every Friday night, we rarely have lag issues. 👍
As much as I have friends and great fellow racers from all over the place I definitely feel that currently Australia is posing the worst lag issues. Dont know what is going on with the NBN or if it is the half completed nature of the network but I see horrific lag a lot from Aussie drivers. Even had it with Holland the other night when he dropped into a race A. When he was past me he had 1 bar and was jumping back and forth a bit.

I see. Guess it depends on each country's Net infrastructure, then.

Welp, good luck to everyone in the World Finals, then. I pray that it goes smoothly for ya'll. That, and getting reveals on GT7 from PD as well. lol

I race with guys from all over the world every Friday night, we rarely have lag issues. 👍
Lobbies use Peer-to-peer, while FIA races are in fixed servers. There are some people in this region who occasionally lag pretty badly in FIA races making close racing impossible, just because of their internet quality.

How it is going to work with people from CSA, NA, EMEA, Asia and OCE dialled into the same fixed server I have no idea. I not sure it will look very good on the broadcast.

Also I'm not really a fan of the goalposts being moved after the season is finished, but that's what PD has always seemed to do.

I'm guessing they will set up a special lobby just for those who qualified, so it can use the P2P system instead of the fixed servers system in the normal FIA races. But yeah, even with that I don't see how this will be anything but smooth running.

Also why have a TT to get extra players instead of just getting more players from each region based on the season rankings? :odd: Just PD things I guess.

At least for Manu, we'll finally have a chance to see Lambo and Mazda participate in a "live" event for the first time.

I'm guessing they will set up a special lobby just for those who qualified, so it can use the P2P system instead of the fixed servers system in the normal FIA races. But yeah, even with that I don't see how this will be anything but smooth running.
I don't know PD would be able to control and adjudicate on issues if they used P2P instead of a fixed server, but will see what they come up with.
I think the iRacing or rFactor Le Mans 24h races had some high profile disconnects so I fully expect some will happen for this event too, just part of the beast unfortunately.

Also why have a TT to get extra players instead of just getting more players from each region based on the season rankings? :odd: Just PD things I guess.

I wonder how many people will qualify via the Extra Stage time trial, having not entered the actual season. It seems pretty silly to me.

But I'll try and get that 1 TT spot available for Oceania anyway.

I wonder how many people will qualify via the Extra Stage time trial, having not entered the actual season. It seems pretty silly to me.

But I'll try and get that 1 TT spot available for Oceania anyway.

Yeah it is a bit silly. Looking at the official season rankings, if they pulled one more player it would be MINT_Matt. Whereas I think I already know who will win this TT from our region, and while he's fast, he's certainly not a better racer than Matt. I want to see the best complete racers in the FIA series, not just the fastest hotlappers.

Good luck to you anyway mate, if you do manage to get in it will be a nice consolation for all the crappy connection issues you've had to deal with this year.

Last edited:
At least for Manu, we'll finally have a chance to see Lambo and Mazda participate in a "live" event for the first time.
When I first read the news, I thought, *trumpets sound* "This just in... Gran Turismo welcomes Mazda Hyundai as an Official Partner of the FIA (Fédération internationale de l'automobile) Certified Gran Turismo Championships. Accordingly, Mazda Hyundai is now confirmed as a selected manufacturer for all 'World Tour 2020' live events, including the World Finals where the Series championship title is decided.Mar 18,2020

I'm looking forward to watching this and seeing some of the familiar faces. Been a long time coming.
I'm wondering if Igor Fraga and Mikail Hizal will be participating. Would be great to see them.

Is it just me, or the X2019 a real handful around Suzuka on RH tyres? Coming off the Super Formula TT, the X2019 just feels so floaty. There's no sense of connection to the road. In the high speed corners (e.g. Dunlop) the rears are breaking loose. In slow speed corners I can understand, but in high speed at least the downforce should be working.

In the "Beat the Pros" TT I'm ~2 seconds off the top times, but here I'm 3+ seconds off. Mad respect to the aliens as always. This isn't easy at all 👍

One of the people who has now qualified hasn't even done a single race on GT Sport in 2.5 years :lol:

I don't begrudge them for qualifying (I was too slow)... but it's a bit silly that 30 championship rounds over several don't count for anything for these extra spots... but it is what it is.

Also using the handbrake in the X2019 was worth a few tenths per lap, this really needs to be fixed by PD.

Last edited:
One of the people who has now qualified hasn't even done a single race on GT Sport in 2.5 years :lol:

I don't begrudge them for qualifying (I was too slow)... but it's a bit silly that 30 championship rounds over several don't count for anything for these extra spots... but it is what it is.

Also using the handbrake in the X2019 was worth a few tenths per lap, this really needs to be fixed by PD.

It's not someone from our region is it? All of the AU/NZ names ahead of you are all pretty frequent players.

DOJO_Racing didn't use handbrake and he's 11th. So it's possible to still be up there without it. But if you do nail it it's a few tenths easy coming out of the hairpin. It's just so silly. The Real Driving Simulator indeed :rolleyes:

Tidgney did a pretty interesting analysis on a few of the top laps (from 3 hours 26 mins mark).

It just amazes me how you aliens can pick up such subtle differences in lines and 0.1-0.2 tenths differences per corner. I look at all of these and go "yup, that's 🤬 fast" :lol:

Last edited:
It's not someone from our region is it? All of the AU/NZ names ahead of you are all pretty frequent players.

DOJO_Racing didn't use handbrake and he's 11th. So it's possible to still be up there without it. But if you do nail it it's a few tenths easy coming out of the hairpin. It's just so silly. The Real Driving Simulator indeed :rolleyes:

The first Asian qualifier in the time trial (L-Shooter) hasn't raced since 2018, but for whatever reason isn't going to be entering the Regional Final anyway.

Some of the other qualifiers from the TT (across all regions) did hardly any Nations races in 2020 (including Igor Fraga), but are now qualified.

Everyone who qualified deserves to be there, as they are clearly quick enough to make inroads in live events, and most have been there before anyway. But yeah, I just think qualifying via a single time trial, where lucking into a good handbrake response is needed, is a bit daft when there was an entire season of races that also counted... but it is what it is

Tidgney did a pretty interesting analysis on a few of the top laps (from 3 hours 26 mins mark).

It just amazes me how you aliens can pick up such subtle differences in lines and 0.1-0.2 tenths differences per corner. I look at all of these and go "yup, that's 🤬 fast" :lol:

I'm not an alien (not even close)... but in my experience it just comes down to a lot of hotlapping experience at a high-ish level, and always comparing your times against someone who is able to go quicker in a certain combination. After a while you can realise how and where you lose time. Being able to then go and set a lap yourself is a different story!

Tidgney will be able to give you a better answer. :cheers:

DOJO_RACING_SHUN and DW-YUHKI02 from Japan, JINKYOSUKE from Hong Kong, and DYLANLINDGREN from Australia are qualifiers from Asia-Oceania region.

I'm not an alien (not even close)... but in my experience it just comes down to a lot of hotlapping experience at a high-ish level, and always comparing your times against someone who is able to go quicker in a certain combination. After a while you can realise how and where you lose time. Being able to then go and set a lap yourself is a different story!

Tidgney will be able to give you a better answer. :cheers:

Oh you're too humble. Anyone who can get in top 100 in a high stakes WW time trial like this is an alien in my book :)

I've been trying to chase top times for many years now. Improvements are getting harder and harder to come by. Just as you said "knowing" what to do is one thing, but actually getting your eye-hand-feet coordination to do it is another. I don't want to sound defeatist, but I'm probably close to my internal accuracy limit now. I seem to lose about 0.2-0.3 seconds per corner, and this holds true for any car/track combo. If I compare the replays it doesn't seem like there are major differences in lines/technique, but when you get to this level it's all in the microsecond/millimeter details. It's a serious grind to get those last few tenths, and one that I don't find exciting personally.

I remember in the first GT Academy in 2010, I was 3.5 seconds off the top time (370Z @ Indy Road Course). I kept chipping away and at the last worldwide GTA in 2015 (GT-R GT3 @ Spa) I was 2.1 seconds off. I was tryharding so much for that one, doing at least 30 mins a day and poring over the telemetry (which was a feature in GT6 I sorely miss). Last night in Nations Cup, my quali time was 1.8 second off pole in top split. So it took 5 years to gain around 1.5 seconds, and another 5 to gain 2-3 tenths, and I'm not getting any younger. Anyway, I'm at peace with my speed. You can still have a lot of fun racing against people of similar skill level (occasionally beating faster people with racecraft/strategy), rather than constantly stressing out trying to be the next Hizal :P

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back