Gran Turismo "stream" into E-sports

Greece
Athens
PROKROYSTHS
Hello to everyone,

I watch these last couple of years the huge and continuous growth of e-sports,which include many types
of videogames.
I learned recently that twitch.tv is the 4th most popular social network.
I see around all kind of tournaments, all kind of teams (pro and amateur), all kind of streamers and behind or next to all that all kind of sponsors.
I couldn't help but wonder "where the hell is virtual racing in all that?" Virtual racing in general but GT6 specifically.

I really dont get it... There is a big and live community in GT6, i see it in here.
There are great drivers in every aspect, circuit,dirt,drag,drift i see them in the lobbies and in the videos that they upload here.Some of them even become real racing drivers ex.through GT academy.
There are great teams very organized with standards and they try,they train,they host tournaments and events.
There is great depth and variety in GT6 and virtual racing in general. These are the materials that,in my opinion,are essential to create a very exciting and interesting e-sports genre with millions of fans.

But ,in my opinion again, all this stays between us. It feels like the whole community is agoraphobic or self-centered.
I cannot even begin to understand why so many no-name or no-skill players of tens of other games Stream Live!!! They ,without knowing it, promote in the best possible way the game it self, game companies should drink in their no-names! And they dont even play it well...
Lets not talk about the pro-players or the really skilled ones which have become known worldwide and they even "make" from small money to a great career.

I believe that its time for GT6 to open up! I believe that its time to Stream into e-sports and i mean stream literally. Youtube videos are something but they are like dead evidence of the game's existence. Livestream is on a whole other level of connection between viewer and player, its "Live", it breaths, its interesting, its unexpected. It makes the viewer eager to join it in any way, watch it ,talk about it, learn about it, play it! And as more people play and watch and follow, then more sponsors support then even better the game becomes.

I wrote all that in hope that every virtual driver in this forum and especially every team-leader thinks about it. I know that there might be issues regarding streams,technical or economical or any kind, that prevent people from livestreaming, but for a team Livestreaming should be their first priority!
Stream everything from fun rounds of a single player to a whole tournament.

Thanks for reading.Please lets share our thoughts about that.

@Ameer67 @trobes29 @ProjectWHaT @zer05ive @ERAUfan97 @Luv2Coach @ynot @Charlie A @CTR Driver @Ph1sher @Blurr905 @watermelonpunch @GTP_ADE @CodDemon101 @merlinrichards @ITCC_Andrew @memto89
[URL='https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/members/luv2coach.221814/'][URL='https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/members/blurr905.177479/'][URL='https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/members/merlinrichards.213481/']
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Last edited:
I think there are several reasons as to why there are few (if any) live streams of racing games. For one, to record from the PS3 requires capture equipment which is not cheap unless you get your money's worth out of it by using it a lot.

Secondly streaming, particularly in HD, requires an upload speed higher than what a large number of people's internet connections are capable of. Thirdly and most influentially, racing games and definitely GT6 are considered a niche market, the number of people playing is significantly below that of other games and genres, meaning not many people outside of our community have an interest in watching them either.

We'll probably see more live streams of Driveclub and GT7 as the PS4 can automatically stream it's content to the internet without third party capture equipment, but I still don't think the number of streamers will be very high for the reason that I stated above.

When GT5 and GT6 were still new, I thought about live streaming as I have the equipment available, but didn't go ahead with it as I doubt anyone would actually watch.

The FIA GT thingy is expected to be an E-Championship/tournament, there definitely should be some way to live stream it.

A racing game played with a wheel will never be popular in e-sports or in streams. There's dozens of reasons for that.

However, if you (or PD) want to give it a shot what you should do is contacting an already famous streamer and just make him play the game, not competitively in leagues nor grinding one track all day for GT Academy.

Sim Racing in general unfortunately suffers the exact same problem that Motorsports itself suffers: Its a niche genre and it just doesn't have the mass appeal of the other genres. I would say to a degree, you have to be a car person to even be aware of motorsports and unfortunately, most people are not into cars. Likewise, I think to some degree you have to be into motorsports to even be into Sim Racing.

Infact, I think I wouldn't be that far off in saying a lot of us got into sim racing because of something car or motorsports related.

In short answer, GT6 isn't big on live streams or any e-sports events simply because the crowd only cares about fps and moba.
Racing games aren't really a popular thing, we can bomb stream as much as we want but we can't change one interests in things.

Just like others says, GT or Racing games in general isn't popular as others especially Simulator Racing game (GT6 isn't fully sim) . They just love games like FPS types games (ex-Cod, where its just the same features with every call of duty except new guns and maps and yet they still love it like its their living). I just wish those game designers building explode for ruining the gaming industry.

Not a lot of gamers are interested in Cars or Vehicles. They're more about things like guns in fps which is sad thing since i'm seems like i'm the only one (even if not) who loves other things than FPS (i'm not hating every single fps game since there're some few good games).

VBR
@Prokroysths - What, you mean like this!

:P

As a competitor and team manager for this race I actually believe that the live stream was quite successful for what we had. Although we did lose commentary through the process along with other smaller issues I think we had over a total of 1000 people that tuned in at one point or another though not watching entirely through. There are still things to work out with live streaming and connection issues that need to be addressed, but that will play out in time.

We have another event coming up that @AJ is putting together, I am unsure whether or not it will be streamed but I am hoping that it will be.

header-template-75pc-png.191487

2014 GTP London 12 Hours

There are many things that need to be worked out in order to get on the "E Sport Streaming" train along with many logistics to make it successful. I honestly do not know where technology is going to take us from now to when we have GT7 on the PS4. Anything can happen and hopefully we can make an impact. It is all we can do from this point forward.

I know in order to put together successful events to stream online for what AJ is doing, GT6 does not have the proper features that we need in order to make a smooth free flowing Race/Stream with proper race positions being shown online. If PD can get their act together on where they are going with GT6 we might have the features necessary to do these events with network trade offs. I do not believe it is a high priority for PD, because they have many other shoes that need filling before they can even venture into supplying/dedicating resources for the soul purpose of streaming races. The only thing that will give us pull in order to develop the gaming experience we need to make this a popular and fruitful will be to show our support of each other doing it. That means getting the viewers that will watch or as in the Television world will say, we need high ratings.

Just like others says, GT or Racing games in general isn't popular as others especially Simulator Racing game (GT6 isn't fully sim) . They just love games like FPS types games (ex-Cod, where its just the same features with every call of duty except new guns and maps and yet they still love it like its their living). I just wish those game designers building explode for ruining the gaming industry.

Not a lot of gamers are interested in Cars or Vehicles. They're more about things like guns in fps which is sad thing since i'm seems like i'm the only one (even if not) who loves other things than FPS (i'm not hating every single fps game since there're some few good games).

Although very true about the FPS games, there are many more playing those games then racing games. You can get into the market with more of a "cult" following way. There are enough people watching all the motorsports of the world, if somehow we can get across to them that you do not need to wait long periods in order to see good racing and you can have live action at any given time, we may get an influx of viewers, but like I previously commented, we are light years away from being able to provide it.

Sim Racing in general unfortunately suffers the exact same problem that Motorsports itself suffers: Its a niche genre and it just doesn't have the mass appeal of the other genres. I would say to a degree, you have to be a car person to even be aware of motorsports and unfortunately, most people are not into cars. Likewise, I think to some degree you have to be into motorsports to even be into Sim Racing.

Infact, I think I wouldn't be that far off in saying a lot of us got into sim racing because of something car or motorsports related.

Unless you make it a spectator sport. i.e drifting.

Limiter Bashing, fire spitting, tyre smoking action. The door to door driving also makes it tense and prepares anticipation for wrecks. It's like watching a James Bond Movie without the violence!

So from the most of the posts so far we have the full lineup of problems and "hold backs".

I see that the general opinion is that "motorsports are unpopular and simracers are unpopular" and that is fact!
But that is a comparison with something else like the "popular" football, and sometimes it has no objective effect in the sport itself.

I 'll explain with an example.Lets take Formula 1, or WRC or MotoGP. Millions of million of money run through these motorsports for driver contracts, development, tracks, technologies etc. Where do they come from? Sponsors?
No! Sponsors do not pay because of their kind hearts and their love for the sport!
They pay because of the audience,the fans! A sponsor doesnt care how fast can Vettel, in RedBull F1, do a lap,they care how many people watch him do it.
Fans bring the money aka Sponsors, tv rights, product sales etc!

They might be 1% of the fans that "popular" football has, but they are enough to support the most glamourous and expensive motorsport in the world. Because it isnt a matter of comparison in popularity, everything in this world has its audience from football to golf or even curling ffs!!!
Of course the better the spectacle the more the fans, because they do care about Vettel's lap times :)

Keep also in mind that any person can be interested in more than one things and watch them too. I play Gt6 and SC2 but many times i ve watched COD in a tour and even figure skating on ice.
I believe its needless to say that none,of those F1 fans, drives an F1 car and only some might even race a car at all, so lets not bother how hard is to play gran turismo with a wheel or ds3 or even buy it because actually it doesnt matter that much.

And i return to my initial statement in the OP, that GT6 community,and Virtual racing in general, is "agoraphobic and selfcentered". Because they care to much of why "it cannot be done"! Of course there are those that try the opposite like we seen @miata13B , @VBR and many others.
Its a matter of attitude to find a solution,a way to overcome the real and well stated problems. Like our friend @JDM SRE70 does, by just saying what he would like to see!
We need this attitude to open up and find our audience, our fans, to move our "game" to the next level!

GT6 has the raw materials to create something good,it has both a solid game and skillfull drivers and a lot of room for improvement on both.(note that improvement comes faster when things go wide)
So since we have these what we need is to get on stage and that stage is Internet in all its glory and all its recourses, accessible to everyone, twitch,youtube,facebook and whatever new we can think of.

What do you say fellow virtual racers? Can each of us think or do something small? Can each team think or do something
bigger? Please share your thoughts and your ideas and maybe we make them happen.

@DriftRyuji @Streeto @xlDevontelx @MLR_DAnGeR_KiiD @DrifTa-AJV @JR86 @ghostthief980 @Eric1512 @SPANK @monsterGAUZ @sparkozz @Sai @D-Max @DGambino1 @CJDA9 @TH137Z @Duman079 @CheladaJr @AAO_Turbo_Pro @GTGranpa

Last edited:
I feel so sad we don't have any e-sport competition for GT6. Just watched a bit of the GT Academy finals on twitch nicely commentated, I wish it could be more popular so that I could watch pro competition of GT6!

Well, in the choice between watching a real race and watching a simulation I think most people would go for the real race because it will always be better than the simulation.

But I think GT Academy is on the right path, because there's a big prize involved in the competition and that makes it a better drama to watch.

E-sports is definitely a major thing. It's becoming a very serious thing in certain parts of the world. However, streaming live virtual races is very difficult. Firstly, I'm not the type of person who would want to watch just one onboard with no commentary of anything like that, and switching between cars randomly looks somewhat tacky and it becomes very easy to miss drama. However, GTPlanet already does a very good job by hosting livestreams for some of the racing which goes on at this very site.

You will also find on the internet that other series do similar.

You might even find that some series record races after they have been completed and do commentary and graphics over the top.

Virtual racing is certainly becoming more and more serious, and it would be cool to see something come out such that it becomes easy to broadcast actual online races with relative ease, be it delayed or live.

I feel so sad we don't have any e-sport competition for GT6. Just watched a bit of the GT Academy finals on twitch nicely commentated, I wish it could be more popular so that I could watch pro competition of GT6!
Given that FIA Online Championship should come soon, don't think it gets much bigger than competition where winner is celebrated at FIA Prize Giving ceremony. May not happen in time for GT6 if it is just pre-season though but for GT7 it will likely be massive.

Really nice to see some of that stuff with good commentary 👍

The issue for me I am having is the LAG and the hopping arround of the cars. It ruins a bit the excitement. If online quality is improved and they can get rid of the lag for 98% it would be really entertaining.

It takes time to organise and build a good series with a steady group of drivers and great commentators. I am sure here at GTP one can find all the talents that are needed.

Our Car of the Week group does races every Tuesday, and I'm considering broadcasting them on Twitch/YouTube. Everyone says it's a niche market, but I think it's just one that hasn't yet been tapped. We'll see, especially when the typical racing season is over.

Last edited:
Our Car of the Week group does races every Tuesday, and I'm considering broadcasting them on Twitch/YouTube. Everyone says it's a niche market, but I think it's just one that hasn't yet been tapped. We'll see, especially when the typical racing season is over.

I think that during the off-season is very much a good opportunity to strike. With the exception of Formula E (which is still finding its feet) and testing (people actually watch that?) there's very little on except for probably rallying.

Back