Gran Turismo World Series Exhibition Seasons Return, Beginning February 28

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 9,500 comments
should be the same conditions as free practice
Yes which are? ;) All i know from free practice is that it looks like sunrise or sunset with a few clouds. Will have to try out all the options in the weather and time settings until it looks about right.

Last edited:
Is there any way of finding out what the time of day/weather is on these races? I want to set up a custom race for Manufacturers matching the same weather/time etc of Saturdays race.
Try GT Engine, it has all of the info, time of day, time multiplier, weather, everything needed to replicate the race conditions.

Last edited:
Try GT Engine, it has all of the info, time of day, time multiplier, weather, everything needed to replicate the race conditions.
Brilliant, thanks!!

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 17.13.49.png

I know, I know.
Related, the quali time for round 3 at Fuji is 10 mins which “should” be further confirmation of a wet race.
Well at least someone read the article.

Anyone else think the qualifying before these races needs revamped? Currently, everyone goes out at the same time. This causes a lot of traffic. There is a benefit to going out asap as you could potentially get an extra lap in before the time expires. There is also tire wear involved. I would agree this is quite realistic, but it's not ideal.

I had an instance at the Gr1 at Daytona where, despite me leaving as much of a gap as I could before starting the hot lap (as there is a line of cars behind me that I am not trying to mess up either), I caught up to him on the oval. He killed my lap as basically I ended up bump drafting him. Really frustrated me but the flip side is he's also trying to put in his fast lap so why should he yield? He shouldn't; he has the same right to the track that I do in this case.

So with the - typically - five minute quali session, you have an out lap that doesn't count (it'd be insane slow anyway), then you get maybe one or two laps of full pace in for your session. Issue is, everyone is trying to do the same thing so people can get bunched up. Plus there's tire wear to boot. So if you get held up on lap two, but get free for lap three, lap three is already compromised because your tires are more worn at this point.

IMO, everyone who's out for quali either needs to be ghosted or we all get our own track for 5 mins (similar to pre-race Daily race quali), that way we're not in each other's way during the quali laps. These Nations/Manu races are a time investment and it sucks when your race is severely compromised before it even starts. PD has already eliminated the slip and dirty air effects during quali, why not ghost?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Anyone else think the qualifying before these races needs revamped? Currently, everyone goes out at the same time. This causes a lot of traffic. There is a benefit to going out asap as you could potentially get an extra lap in before the time expires. There is also tire wear involved. I would agree this is quite realistic, but it's not ideal.

I had an instance at the Gr1 at Daytona where, despite me leaving as much of a gap as I could before starting the hot lap (as there is a line of cars behind me that I am not trying to mess up either), I caught up to him on the oval. He killed my lap as basically I ended up bump drafting him. Really frustrated me but the flip side is he's also trying to put in his fast lap so why should he yield? He shouldn't; he has the same right to the track that I do in this case.

So with the - typically - five minute quali session, you have an out lap that doesn't count (it'd be insane slow anyway), then you get maybe one or two laps of full pace in for your session. Issue is, everyone is trying to do the same thing so people can get bunched up. Plus there's tire wear to boot. So if you get held up on lap two, but get free for lap three, lap three is already compromised because your tires are more worn at this point.

IMO, everyone who's out for quali either needs to be ghosted or we all get our own track for 5 mins (similar to pre-race Daily race quali), that way we're not in each other's way during the quali laps. These Nations/Manu races are a time investment and it sucks when your race is severely compromised before it even starts. PD has already eliminated the slip and dirty air effects during quali, why not ghost?

Thoughts?
Yeah I'd rather it worked like iRacing where everyone qualifies at the same time on their own empty track. Much less hassle, dealing with other players is a right pain when the qualifying is really only a few laps. Get unlucky and you're done for. With there being no slipstream etc. in qualifying it's literally only a detriment to have other players around.

That said, I don't even know if their engine supports people running an empty track at the same time - so ghosting would still be preferred if it's not possible.

Yeah I'd rather it worked like iRacing where everyone qualifies at the same time on their own empty track. Much less hassle, dealing with other players is a right pain when the qualifying is really only a few laps. Get unlucky and you're done for. With there being no slipstream etc. in qualifying it's literally only a detriment to have other players around.

That said, I don't even know if their engine supports people running an empty track at the same time - so ghosting would still be preferred if it's not possible.
but the hassle is also part of the fun, finding the space, avoiding incidents et cetera?
Using an empty track seems a bit clinical to me....

but the hassle is also part of the fun, finding the space, avoiding incidents et cetera?
Yeah I'd agree if they hadn't got rid of dirty air and slipstream. They defeated half the point of having other cars on tracks, so now there's just half an implementation where nobody else matters except to hinder you.

I'd argue eliminating slipstream, which is really one of the biggest factors of real life qualifying, is just as clinical.

It would be if there was more time. For some tracks if you get out soon enough you might be lucky enough to get an extra qualifying lap... which everyone is trying to do. So, the field gets bunched up and there in lies the problem.

If there was more time to do the quali, then people wouldn't feel so pressured to go out asap (aka, the exact same time) and it would be a little more forgiving. This is all assuming the people around you respect your push laps, which we know how some people in the game act. In F1 you get in someone's way during a hot lap, you get a grid penalty. But, in fairness, I don't know how PD would possibly implement this into their quali sessions.

Anyway, maybe instead of 10 mins of practice and five mins of quali, they flip the times and allow more time to quali. I am still fine with the tire wear as well. I do like how all the cars can be out there at the same time and the times are displayed live. That is definitely cool.

Last edited:
There were 10 min sessions last proper season and people were still immediately piling out of the pits, racing on outlaps, getting in each others way, no awareness of space.

I just used to wait in the pits for everyone to get half a lap ahead, set a time and head back in.

Yeah I'd agree if they hadn't got rid of dirty air and slipstream. They defeated half the point of having other cars on tracks, so now there's just half an implementation where nobody else matters except to hinder you.

I'd argue eliminating slipstream, which is really one of the biggest factors of real life qualifying, is just as clinical.
I actually was so happy they eliminated the slipstream. at my level it only caused mayhem and in that period i usually waited till the field was well on their way before i started my attempt all by my lonesome. The few tenths i missed by not using slipstream were usually compensated by avoiding getting in the middle of the pack. But I think at your level the drivers are actually capable of using the slipstream without crashing into each other....
It would be if there was more time. For some tracks if you get out soon enough you might be lucky enough to get an extra qualifying lap... which everyone is trying to do. So, the field gets bunched up and there in lies the problem.

If there was more time to do the quali, then people wouldn't feel so pressured to go out asap (aka, the exact same time) and it would be a little more forgiving. This is all assuming the people around you respect your push laps, which we know how some people in the game act. In F1 you get in someone's way during a hot lap, you get a grid penalty. But, in fairness, I don't know how PD would possibly implement this into their quali sessions.

Anyway, maybe instead of 10 mins of practice and five mins of quali, they flip the times and allow more time to quali. I am still fine with the tire wear as well. I do like how all the cars can be out there at the same time and the times are displayed live. That is definitely cool.

Agree with you there, really not liked that the qualifying time was deducted to five minutes.

Thinking about it i can see the points you both made and I wonder now if having an empty track could actually improve the experience. I think if you could constantly see the other drivers sector and lap times that it would maybe be just as tense as having the competition really on track. If only we could test that.....

Wouldn't it be nice of PD would experiment with this and let the players vote which format they prefer and let the majority decide?

So who's ready for a cluster of a Nations race tomorrow? Did some more practice and got my time to 1:40.198. Was 191 on the leader boards as of an hour ago.

Still not so sure about this 917 LL car on warn mediums.

So who's ready for a cluster of a Nations race tomorrow? Did some more practice and got my time to 1:40.198. Was 191 on the leader boards as of an hour ago.

Still not so sure about this 917 LL car on warn mediums.
I'm super excited to see how many people take off in turn 1/2 and fly away into a wall. It happened to me a.. fair amount in practice.

Current best time is a 1:39.577 but I'll do some more tomorrow and try to knock it down for the races later in the day.

So jump into to the 4pm Oceana slot and for god knows what reason the slots open at 1 at this massively overpopulated part of the world.

Long story short 6 players in, last place offering 212 points which is basically my level. Not much reason to do anything other that cruise and one and done.

Are they still doing like 10 different time slots for each FIA race? If so, how is it affecting the player turnout and competition in each lobby?

So jump into to the 4pm Oceana slot and for god knows what reason the slots open at 1 at this massively overpopulated part of the world.

Long story short 6 players in, last place offering 212 points which is basically my level. Not much reason to do anything other that cruise and one and done.
Got sight of 1 split that was 4 cars. A+/S to B/B rated. Will let you know how my slot goes. I was in the same situation as you last week. It takes pressure off but makes it hard to push for a race if you fall back or make a mistake. Nice points though.

Something is horribly broken. I just ran the 6pm slot. Top split with Andy Lee in the lobby and 16 starters. 1st was only worth 222 points.

Something is horribly broken. I just ran the 6pm slot. Top split with Andy Lee in the lobby and 16 starters. 1st was only worth 222 points.

I'm pretty sure the race points are based on the Driver Rating average of all of the drivers who entered the room - this applies regardless of whether it's a full grid of 16, or only a handful of drivers.

So, if there is 1 driver at maximum Driver Rating (100000) and most of the other 15 drivers are at DR A (between 30000 and 50000), then the points will not be great. I did the 7pm race with only 9 (mostly DR A+) drivers and that was worth 339 points.

I checked this against a few different races and it seems to hold:

Average Driver Rating for drivers in race = (Points awarded for 1st place) * 206

Last edited:
ran 2 slots. Just because I'm a bit sick in the head and like this combo.
9pm NZ time slot. In with @Raptor013 and start qualifying right in front of him. Immediately make a hash of sector 1 and let him through. Then re-setting myself for lap 2 I screw up the timing and end up right on his bumper, leading me to gamble and decide to pass in the final chicane. With only 8 cars it was probably a stupid move. I end up Q6 anyway.

Screw up and drop to p8 at the start. Then start climbing a little when 2 wreck. End up all over Raptor's bumper for a few laps before he messes up and I get past. Then gain on the next guy. Find out they're all on softs and I'm on Mediums. I put end of lap 9 for softs and find I'm right on the back of p3. I get the move made, but have a fast closing driver on mediums behind. He does make the move stick, but I'm hanging close as we're catching p2. Then I screw up and get a double banger through the mini esses after the big straight. 3 seconds and dropped 1 spot. But close up to them. Also find out p3 had a wall penalty last lap too. End was p5, only 2.3 behind p3 and 159 points that don't count. Polesitter checked out lap 1 and no one saw him again.

Second race had 10 drivers. Q6, and immediately into p5 on the start. Then I get a late dive into the sketchy 90 degree right and I'm back where I started. But gaining. More people get penalties or crash, and I get a solid pass in. I'm p3 by the pits. P2 was on softs, now I am.

After cycling through I come out in p2, but immediately in front of full speed P3 and 4 and so play it safe and stay left while they blast past around turn 1. I pass the guy now in p3 and they get a wall penalty trying to fight back. Now it's hassling p2 with my softs while they are on mediums. They're faster in most of the good passing areas while I'm faster in the technical bits. Finally the pressure pays off and they go massively deep onto the back straight and I'm clear past easily. Drove away for p2, but our battle had the leader way gone. CRB for 191 points and a fun battle.

I'm pretty sure the race points are based on the Driver Rating average of all of the drivers who entered the room - this applies regardless of whether it's a full grid of 16, or only a handful of drivers.

So, if there is 1 driver at maximum Driver Rating (100000) and most of the other 15 drivers are at DR A (between 30000 and 50000), then the points will not be great. I did the 7pm race with only 9 (mostly DR A+) drivers and that was worth 339 points.

I checked this against a few different races and it seems to hold:

Average Driver Rating for drivers in race = (Points awarded for 1st place) * 206
Yeah, this makes sense. BUT it highlights the problem with running 10 slots in Oceania where many (almost all) have less than a full grid. It shouldn’t be possible to get fewer points for finishing third in a full top split than for finishing last by a full minute in a 7 car top split.

PD have to go back to fewer slots in Oceania and cut the ones in work/school hours of a weekday.

I've been so happy that there are slots available for people like me who are working nights and weekends. I used to rely on my days off falling on race day (in the case of Saturdays, that's never), now I can take part in every race of the season if I so choose.

Interesting combos, better payouts, more competitive racing and stricter regulations!

Gonna smash a couple of goes around Trial Mountain in this madness car...

Back