Gran Turismo World Series Exhibition Seasons Return, Beginning February 28

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 9,502 comments
Every car that's not AWD feels "weedy,"
Not in my experience, though admittedly it is only a feeling and not backed up by any testing times or facts.
The Supra, SLS, Cayman, 458, Scirocco all seem faster on the straights and out of the bends.

Not very good practice session...

Went for a test run of Manu, and crashed in the CoD 6 times out of 14 laps.
I was lifting a lot at the end, but still - I am now stressing out just getting close to it... Will have to take it easy.
Also, with the GT-R, only got 10 laps before having to pit for fuel (short shifting). Meaning I had to use the hard tires for 4 laps.
Wondering if some cars will be able to do a competitive no refuel / 13M + 1H.

After that I jumped on the Suzuka TT, and couldn't get a lap finished with the GT-R GT500. The Supra is a bit tamer, so will have to go with it.

KCR

I was lifting a lot at the end, but still - I am now stressing out just getting close to it... Will have to take it easy.
Also, with the GT-R, only got 10 laps before having to pit for fuel (short shifting). Meaning I had to use the hard tires for 4 laps.

After that I jumped on the Suzuka TT, and couldn't get a lap finished with the GT-R GT500. The Supra is a bit tamer, so will have to go with it.
Nothing is going to go more than 10 laps in Manufacturer's, or if they do they'll be going so slow fuel saving that it won't be worth it.
Now i wish we had that old NSX GT500 , thus we could have a legit oldschool GT500 race , even without it will be interesting and maybe raining?
It's probably not going to rain. In most of the previous rain races, it also rained in FP (Nurb 24 being the exception - and even then in most races it didn't rain hard enough to take the slicks off), so since it's not raining in FP it probably won't in the race. IIRC Suzuka is often extremely cloudy in game without it ever raining.

Last edited:
Having driven the GTR GR4 at DTS plenty of times, I came back after a few day's break from GT to find the rear end thinks it's the space shuttle going over the bumps, now the whole track is as bad as the death chicane! I thought I wouldn't need to practice much but now it turns out I do!

Suzuka is more about learning the track, I've used the GTR gt500 for a couple of GTWS races now to good effect. I just need to match up what I can do in the car to the track which I've not race outside of single player on.

Then again it's only the first day of practice, I have limit time in general to do so after work tomorrow and might be lucky to get one practice race in for Friday.

How's everyone else getting on?

Why have PD put on a GTWS race where you don’t actually have the option to buy the car?
Nations - when I saw last week that it was either the Supra or the GTR I was going to use the GTR, until I found I dont own the car nor can I buy it. I’m now stuck with doing practice runs in TT with unreal fuel/tyre wear or I practice in the Supra.

update: Just done 3 laps in both cars and I find the Supra easier to drive, but maybe the GTR is quicker?
Not great laps but Supra 2.02.6 and GTR 2.02.8

Last edited:
Why have PD put on a GTWS race where you don’t actually have the option to buy the car?
Nations - when I saw last week that it was either the Supra or the GTR I was going to use the GTR, until I found I dont own the car nor can I buy it. I’m now stuck with doing practice runs in TT with unreal fuel/tyre wear or I practice in the Supra.

update: Just done 3 laps in both cars and I find the Supra easier to drive, but maybe the GTR is quicker?
Not great laps but Supra 2.02.6 and GTR 2.02.8
The Supra has a more balanced handling, but those who know the strengths of the GTR can end up being faster.

The best advice is to go for the car you feel comfortable with, as this will play more into the race aspect of being able to be more consistent overall. It is possible to do the whole race on mediums without stopping. Sucks that you can't practice in a custom race so I hope this helps and you still get a good result!

KCR

The Vantage is the same on fuel BUT, it is quicker to just go flat out and do a 9m5h than baby it to 10 laps.

The Slophy will almost certainly get to 12/2 I would think, but it won’t be able to match lap times with the AWDs.

I expect I will end up running a first stint of 5h and hope to undercut/overcut the 10/4 4/10 brigade.

The Vantage is the same on fuel BUT, it is quicker to just go flat out and do a 9m5h than baby it to 10 laps.

The Slophy will almost certainly get to 12/2 I would think, but it won’t be able to match lap times with the AWDs.

I expect I will end up running a first stint of 5h and hope to undercut/overcut the 10/4 4/10 brigade.
The WRX is about the same. In terms of fastest laps in a lobby, the hards weren't that bad - I was about a second a lap down when running fuel map 1.
If I get time tomorrow, I might run 3-5 laps on each fuel map setting, and compare fastest laps and the amount of fuel left....to see if I can figure out an optimal combo.....

....of course it won't mean much in the end, when I struggle to make it through COD 14 times without binning it....

I like the idea of starting on hards....might try that in a lobby and see how it goes

Yeah I agree - I need to do a touch of saving to get the wrx to lap 9. I did a good lobby this morning, and managed to get the COD clean for all 14 laps, which was a first....
I feel I have pretty reasonable speed - my fastest race lap was a 1.45.9, and I managed a 1.46.9 on hards. I just need to tidy up my qualifying laps a bit to get into the 44s, which should be good for a reasonable starting position I think. I dare say I think I found the solution to getting through COD....for me, turning in harder and later (just after the marshall on the right) is safer - too much understeer and I can just lift or brake a bit.... rather than trying to go all out each lap and only making it half the time....

Did 2 practice races of Nations. Both GTR and Supra feel alright. GTR just requires a bit of gentle throttle input when exiting some slow corners.

The problem however is that I’m not able to do 14 laps in mediums with a pad no matter what. Tyres are dead after lap 12. Pitting around lap 10-11 rather than after lap 7 seems the best strategy to avoid possible traffic and to give a bigger advantage against non stoppers if I end up in a situation to fight any of them.

But as many are able to finish the race comfortably with no stop strategy it seems like a good idea to skip the race altogether if you need to stop. Any ideas?

Did 2 practice races of Nations. Both GTR and Supra feel alright. GTR just requires a bit of gentle throttle input when exiting some slow corners.

The problem however is that I’m not able to do 14 laps in mediums with a pad no matter what. Tyres are dead after lap 12. Pitting around lap 10-11 rather than after lap 7 seems the best strategy to avoid possible traffic and to give a bigger advantage against non stoppers if I end up in a situation to fight any of them.

But as many are able to finish the race comfortably with no stop strategy it seems like a good idea to skip the race altogether if you need to stop. Any ideas?
I'm going to 1-stop and really push the tyres. I can do the 14 laps with the pad, but it's not very fun and there's little margin for error. Only used the Supra in practice, no intention of racing with the GTR so haven't bothered testing it.

For the manufacturers tonight I'm likely starting near the back in the Vantage so doing the 5 hards first, then try and make up some ground on the mediums as the fuel burns off. Still using AT for online so can't shortshift and stretch out the longer stint to 10 laps.

Last edited:
Manufacturers GT2 Asia-Oceania slot 1
Nissan GT-R Gr.4

I started the race still not sure how to take the CoD, so decided to just be careful and see if others crashes.

Qualified Q8 (low 1:47) and went for 5H/9H to avoid the fuel save.
I lapped around 1:49 on hard then 1:48 on medium, taking the chicane almost in slow motion. It turned out a lot people were doing the same, so I wasn't massively out of pace.
The undercut actually moved me to P6 somehow, and could have been P2 if not for a totally unnecessary trip to the gravels in the esses (curb there can be a bit violent).
Eventually finished P5 - altogether a fairly eventless race, not too interesting but happy to have avoided the walls.

Ran first slot of Manufacturers in Asia. Lobby was full of WRXs and GTRs. One other Vantage, a Ferrari, an Atenza, a Jag and a 650s were the non-metas

Wrang the neck of the Aston in qualifying, didn’t leave an ounce of time on the track and it was good enough for Q11 :rolleyes:

Started on hards, made up a place with a stonking overtake at turn 5 on lap 2. Got another one when the pole sitter died at the CoD. Pitted from p9 on lap 5 and rejoined in p14.

Ran good solid laps for another 4 laps. The rest of the field pitted between laps 9 and 11. When everyone had been in I was p10 with the other Aston 1.5s ahead on hards.

Caught him at the snorkel on lap 12 and p9 was mine. I then set about catching the Atenza and at the final turn on lap 13 I made the most of the tyre advantage and got by. By this time the Jag had closed to 3 tenths. Cue a stressful final lap of trying to hold off the big cat. Thankfully he got the esses a bit wrong and I entered the snorkel 6 tenths up. Just needs to survive the CoD one more time. As I came through the first right/left the yellow flags came out. The McLaren had died at n the last lap! I survived, held off the Jag and brought it home for p7.

212 points. Not a huge points haul, but one of the most satisfying races I’ve ever had. I honestly don’t think I could have done any better.

Good luck to everyone. Stay off the walls.

Tonight was practically a dream run. Had provisional pole for the longest time in qualy, but ultimately got beat by 0.08 secs in the closing laps.

Come the race, I managed to keep pace while saving fuel. Ended up doing 10 laps on the mediums.

In hindsight I could have played it a bit less safe than I did, and easily had the pace to put up a bit more of a fight, but my focus was 100% on not dying to some curb glitch or the CoD. The simple fact that I didn't, on a night that I was entirely expecting to die a horrible death, is good enough for me!

1836a49bebc65-screenshotUrl.png
1836a49df0b42-screenshotUrl.png
20969887347267674 (1).jpg
20970154015310982.jpg

Going to miss the Manu tonight due to going to see a gig in Cardiff. A shame but at least I should be able to do the nations race tomorrow. If only the days were still Weds/ Saturday. I hate the Friday slot. People do stuff that day.

Where in Cardiff? That’s practically my neck of the woods

First time slot - failed to get a single lap in qualifying, repeatedly crashed, total fail, actually was my least bad finish in the end
Second time slot - Qualify 7th, punted on lap 1, engine damage, was angry and not driving well after that, finish last (well, like 12th or so due to people ragequitting)
Third time slot - lobby crashes before qualifying with the standard error message
Last time slot - countdown for matchmaking ends (while doing practice), hangs at '--:--' for about 30 seconds then just disappears, no race joined.

lol. I'm on gigabit fiber internet with ps5 wired via ethernet, I doubt it's any issue on my end

I'm just playing for fun (and am a pleb) so not a big deal to me, but what if this happens to people trying to qualify for world series? This kind of nonsense can't happen if they want the game to be taken somewhat seriously for esports competition

Last edited:

I'm going to 1-stop and really push the tyres. I can do the 14 laps with the pad, but it's not very fun and there's little margin for error. Only used the Supra in practice, no intention of racing with the GTR so haven't bothered testing it.

For the manufacturers tonight I'm likely starting near the back in the Vantage so doing the 5 hards first, then try and make up some ground on the mediums as the fuel burns off. Still using AT for online so can't shortshift and stretch out the longer stint to 10 laps.
Nations a no stop is possible in the Supra but I was using a wheel doing an average lap off about 2.03.
I found this race is all about qualifying high and been steady and consistent in the race. So I found its virtually impossible to overtake. If your behind someone who is doing similar pace with the dirty air you can’t get close to the car in fromt and when you get close you get so much understeer. I ended up under steering twice just after the S’s due to the dirty air causing the understeer. Keep it out the gravel and avoid crashes you should get a a decent result (in the lower lobbies).

KCR
Manufacturers GT2 Asia-Oceania slot 1
Nissan GT-R Gr.4

I started the race still not sure how to take the CoD, so decided to just be careful and see if others crashes.

Qualified Q8 (low 1:47) and went for 5H/9H to avoid the fuel save.
I lapped around 1:49 on hard then 1:48 on medium, taking the chicane almost in slow motion. It turned out a lot people were doing the same, so I wasn't massively out of pace.
The undercut actually moved me to P6 somehow, and could have been P2 if not for a totally unnecessary trip to the gravels in the esses (curb there can be a bit violent).
Eventually finished P5 - altogether a fairly eventless race, not too interesting but happy to have avoided the walls.
Ran first slot of Manufacturers in Asia. Lobby was full of WRXs and GTRs. One other Vantage, a Ferrari, an Atenza, a Jag and a 650s were the non-metas

Wrang the neck of the Aston in qualifying, didn’t leave an ounce of time on the track and it was good enough for Q11 :rolleyes:

Started on hards, made up a place with a stonking overtake at turn 5 on lap 2. Got another one when the pole sitter died at the CoD. Pitted from p9 on lap 5 and rejoined in p14.

Ran good solid laps for another 4 laps. The rest of the field pitted between laps 9 and 11. When everyone had been in I was p10 with the other Aston 1.5s ahead on hards.

Caught him at the snorkel on lap 12 and p9 was mine. I then set about catching the Atenza and at the final turn on lap 13 I made the most of the tyre advantage and got by. By this time the Jag had closed to 3 tenths. Cue a stressful final lap of trying to hold off the big cat. Thankfully he got the esses a bit wrong and I entered the snorkel 6 tenths up. Just needs to survive the CoD one more time. As I came through the first right/left the yellow flags came out. The McLaren had died at n the last lap! I survived, held off the Jag and brought it home for p7.

212 points. Not a huge points haul, but one of the most satisfying races I’ve ever had. I honestly don’t think I could have done any better.

Good luck to everyone. Stay off the walls.
In my practice lobbies I’ve been doing the hard/medium as I found this the better strat to run in the clean air and not have other cars in around fighting. You lose so much time stuck behind others and if anyone crashes at the COD you can guarantee the ghosting doesn’t work properly and your race could be destroyed due to it.
Seeing that both of you got decent results from this strat I’ll be doing this strat. I just hope I can survive the first two laps without been punted off or making a mistake into the COD.

I was expecting a dumpster fire and kinda got it xD
Qualified 13th with 1.48.686 with my Audi TT wth mediums , yeah slow but okay for me with dualsense
Start of the race went kinda well , many crashing going on , which pushed me up to the 7th place but one guy with genesis ahead of me crashed at the death chicane and by my sweet luck i bounce of him and slam into the left wall .... thus dropping almost to the last place but thankfully i didnt crash after that but others did , pitted at end of 9 lap and race ended in 11th place ehhh fine , if i wanted i could have done waaaay better but no time for that :D

hopefully others had better luck than me

Last edited:
Euro slot 1 in GT2

As ever I am way off the pace at DTS. One clean lap in qualification, 13th place, about as fast as I managed in practice. Stuck on the hards and stayed out of trouble for the 5 lap stint, whilst others ahead spun and crashed. Came out of the pits dead last and settled down for a steady run to the end, not expecting to make much progress.

53EB0A0E-EE1B-4E28-BF40-7A456B2DB712.jpeg

Will take that any day of the week, especially the clean race. Slow and steady, the tortoise beat some of the hares today! I may have had some better results and faster pace, but that was the best race I’ve driven in GT7.

Thank you baby Aston, I may have said some bad things about you but you were a good noble steed, the problem was invariably my skill behind the wheel. A nice final Gr.4 outing before I move to Citroen.

Last edited:
I've watched a few streams and the start gaps are laughable. You could fit a football field between each car at the start!

Who says GT doesn't have enough rallying? With gaps this large at the start, they might as well release the cars at proper rally intervals and have us race against the clock...

I've watched a few streams and the start gaps are laughable. You could fit a football field between each car at the start!

Who says GT doesn't have enough rallying? With gaps this large at the start, they might as well release the cars at proper rally intervals and have us race against the clock...
I have to agree with you there, these gaps were just that little bit too big?
At the same time I was happy that the guy behind didn't undo my hard work in qualifying just because of slip stream before the first corner!

I'll be doing my usual report either later tonight or tomorrow.

The chicane of death isn't going to need feeding for a while after the massive buffet it just enjoyed in my race. 😅

I started P7 after setting a 1:46.062 and started on the Hards to go 5H/9M. Like @GTWolverine said, the start gaps today were a bit... weird. It was surprising crossing the start line and being greeted by this when the deltas first popped up:

1663962651528.png

Lap 1 was smoother than I had expected starting on Hards with that gap to the car behind at the start, although a bit tense halfway through. It caught me going down to the seafront hairpin but then acted really, really weird. Rather than just going for the move (as it was on Mediums), it just kind of hung around my rear right and could have very easily taken me out when braking. We then ended up side-by-side heading into the chicane of death until I backed out. The chicane then claimed its first victim shortly afterwards, mangling the engine of the Ford that started in P3.

Lap 2 saw a Toyota kill itself at the sector 2 S-bends so I gained a free position, but then gave it up to a different Toyota after having a sloppy chicane and picking up some bodywork damage, and a Subaru then got me down the main straight.

I had another very sloppy chicane on lap 3, but not as sloppy as the Toyota that had passed me previously. It offered itself as the chicane's second victim (that I saw at least). Currently running in P7 again. On lap 4... the Subaru became the chicane's third offering. :P

I emerged into a nice gap after my pit stop so I just got my head down. At the start of lap 7 I caught up with the Subaru who had started P6 after he/she made their pit stop to go onto Mediums. The good news for me is that he/she was carrying a 3s penalty from crossing the line on the way in. Nice free pass so back up to P8 with the Medium starters still to pit - I was definitely pleased with how things were going.

The Subaru that had the penalty was slowly reeling me back in, but ended up quitting on lap 9 due to becoming yet another victim of the chicane. :P

On lap 10, another Subaru (so many damn Subaru!) dropped it in the sector 2 S-bends and then got the hairpin wrong just to make it even worse. I snuck past going into the chicane of death to claim P5. I then took P4 when (yet) another Subaru made it's pit stop, and stayed there until the end.

That was worth 227 points so a very strong result for me and my second best for the season. :cool: One and done! I'm not going to be doing Interlagos next week, so my end score will be 897. Now just need to wait and see what that means for rankings! :)

Last edited:
Dragon Trail Seaside in a gr4 GT-R, definitely a very good matchup of car and track this one, even better than I expected. Slot 1, could not get the game to load me into the lobby. Slot 2 then I managed to get myself into the race lobby.

Took pole position with a lap of 1.45.68, around 3 tenths quicker than my best lap in practice. And that was also the gap between me and a British GT-R driver starting P2, a pole by almost 3 tenths is quite massive. Certainly a rare occurence for me.

Race then and I of course started on the mediums, kept the other GT-R driver in check just about and had a 1,5 sec gap start of lap 5 I think it was. But that lap proved to be 'fatal' for the GT-R driver behind me, who made a big mistake at the death chicane. A French driver took P2 instead, almost 5 sec behind me. I managed to build the gap to around 5,5 secs before we both pit at the end of lap 9.

Down to P3 with a pair of drivers yet to pit ahead of me. But at the start of lap 13 I took the lead back after both drivers ahead had pit. Drove nice and solid the last 3 laps - fairly fast and without mistakes just like the whole race before that, for my first GTWS victory. 🥳🏆

Dominant 6 sec victory and 203 pts for a first time in GT7 (did score twice over 200 in GTS and had like 3-4 FIA race wins in total). It couldn't have gone any better tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_224403807.jpg
    IMG_20220923_224403807.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220923_224459491.jpg
    IMG_20220923_224459491.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 8
Chicane of Death = nearly completed it!

Slot 2 again in GT2 class.
Warm up didn’t really go to well. Car felt so unstable so my aim for this round was too 10.

Quali I put in a 1.47.135 which was good enough for P4. Was expecting to be a bit lower with all the 4wd qualifying above me. Had an issue on the outlap with a car deciding to divebomb and take the gap I built up. As a result I started my lap on the bumper of the car ahead. Out of pettiness from me I didn’t back out of the lap and ran on the bumper of the car in front to which the ended up losing it on the T3 exit. My 3rd flying lap was my fastes.

Race I was so unsure on my tyre choice. My plan was to go hard-medium but I could see most cars around me were on the mediums in the pit lane. In the end I decided to go with my original strat and start on the hards and just hope for the best.
Opening lap the car behind had a bad start so this allowed me to take the first few corners steady. Lap 2 P1 had a visit to the COD barrier so into P3. Was staying close to the 2 cars in front but just not enough pace on the hards. P4 pushing hard behind but just had enough to cover them off and then a limping P1 took P4 out at the hairpin (not sure how that happened?). This gave me some breathing space for the next 3 laps as the new P4 wasnt catching me and was 2.5 seconds behind. Pitted end of L5. Mediums now so I had a clean track ahead so I could just do consistent laps. Then a few errors crept in at the COD! L7 I had a wobble and managed to keep it off the walls but L9 not so lucky. Another wobble but this time my rear left hit the exit the barrier. Luckily it was only wheel and bumper damaged but this cost me a potential P2. End of L9, P2 then pitted and exited the pit lane about 5 seconds ahead which was the time I lost in the damage. From then on in I found a routine and pace, so was closing in on P2 who was on hards this stint. Just didn’t have enough pace towards the last two laps to really close in on them. Started the final lap about 1.5 seconds behind but by the time I got the COD I back out as I didn’t want to destroy a P3 finish.
Hard/medium strat is good as long as you can keep it off the barriers and not lose too many positions.

1 race completed, COD 95% completed, Podium finish and 94 points for the championship.

Back