Gran Turismo World Series "Bonus Campaign" Gives In-Game Credits for Esports Predictions

• Thread starter Famine
  • 79 comments
The online events are never live broadcast. The live events are though.
I figured the pick em challenge inferred they had made a change to that, for the obvious reasons we already see here - or at least I expected them to have the event run closer to the closing date.

Last edited:
My pick is Fraga and Toyota in the Manufacturer series and even though he has had a rough year, I would like to see Brooks take home the gold from the world series.

Yeah... no. Key difference: no ante.

It's just fantasy football. Pick your team - one Nations, one Manufacturer - and if your team is the best you get prizes.
Just like chocolate cigarettes were perfectly fine to give to children. No harm in it at all.

It's a slippery slope GT is already too far down on imo.

Yeah I think any gambling comparisons etc. are a bit misplaced here. It's almost certainly just a way for them to increase viewership and get people interested in the sports scene. Anything deeper than that is looking too much into it imo.

I don't get this comparison. There isn't really much or anything to be added given what's already been explained. With nothing spent it's impossible to lose. As such, it's not betting.
Yes and feeding kids candy cigarettes doesn't give them ideas about smoking later. If it's totally harmless, why were they banned?
It's betting, you can still lose... You just didn't wager anything apart from your time.
Lootboxes are not gambling either yet are getting banned in more and more countries.

It's just not a good look imo.

And McDonald's milkshakes are a gateway to tequila.
Yes and feeding kids candy cigarettes doesn't give them ideas about smoking later. If it's totally harmless, why were they banned?
Oddly you live in one country where they aren't - they can only not be sold in packs resembling real cigarette brands (and vice versa).

It's also a super-weird analogy, given that candy cigarettes get kids used to buying sticks of stuff in a cigarette box, putting the sticks in their mouth, and mimicking the actions of their parents and older siblings. The whole thing was smoking but without tobacco, for kids.

Aside from the concept of picking a winner, there's no relation between the actions of gambling and this. Remind me, what are the odds on Volkswagen winning? If you wager 50,000cr on it how much will you get back?

Lootboxes are not gambling either yet are getting banned in more and more countries.
Yes they are, which is why they're getting banned. There's a stake you put up for a game of chance - and the stake of in-game money can commonly also be purchased for real money (but it's still gambling whether you can or not).
It's betting, you can still lose... You just didn't wager anything apart from your time.
There's no stake, so you cannot lose. You can either win or not win.
It's just not a good look imo.
It's fantasy football. You wager nothing.

It's all about engagement. The first fantasy football game increased the sales of the newspaper in which it was published by 15% (although you didn't need to buy the paper). Sony is doubtless hoping that people will become more engaged with the live streams - which fell away a bit in viewer count last year - if there's some kind of in-game reward for it.

In fact there has always been an in-game reward, but you had no choice in it; if your manufacturer or someone from your region won, you got credits. Now you can select a manufacturer or player rather than just hoping Andrew Brooks finally gets some luck.

And McDonald's milkshakes are a gateway to tequila.

Oddly you live in one country where they aren't - they can only not be sold in packs resembling real cigarette brands (and vice versa).

It's also a super-weird analogy, given that candy cigarettes get kids used to buying sticks of stuff in a cigarette box, putting the sticks in their mouth, and mimicking the actions of their parents and older siblings. The whole thing was smoking but without tobacco, for kids.

Aside from the concept of picking a winner, there's no relation between the actions of gambling and this. Remind me, what are the odds on Volkswagen winning? If you wager 50,000cr on it how much will you get back?

Yes they are, which is why they're getting banned. There's a stake you put up for a game of chance - and the stake of in-game money can commonly also be purchased for real money (but it's still gambling whether you can or not).

There's no stake, so you cannot lose. You can either win or not win.

It's fantasy football. You wager nothing.

It's all about engagement. The first fantasy football game increased the sales of the newspaper in which it was published by 15% (although you didn't need to buy the paper). Sony is doubtless hoping that people will become more engaged with the live streams - which fell away a bit in viewer count last year - if there's some kind of in-game reward for it.

In fact there has always been an in-game reward, but you had no choice in it; if your manufacturer or someone from your region won, you got credits. Now you can select a manufacturer or player rather than just hoping Andrew Brooks finally gets some luck.
You're just making it worse in my eyes lol. Fantasy football, always avoided it, same as the harmless poker games kids were playing. Rewards for watching streams is another thing I'm against.

I guess my perspective is tainted by losing a friend to gambling addiction :/ It started so harmless, through video games, to slot machines while waiting at the snackbar, to deep ****. Seeing 'betting' show up in a game brings up all those memories. And yes, the vast majority won't follow that path, but there's the format: Pick a winner, get it right, dopamine rush, repeat. Same as the annoying roulette wheel, but at least PD made it so it always seems you lose, good deterrent actually :lol:

You cannot lose, you either win or not win. I got to remember that one, gold!

You cannot lose, you either win or not win. I got to remember that one, gold!
If you don't gamble anything, you can't lose anything. The problem with gambling addiction is that you do gamble things and you do lose them. And you keep on gambling things and losing them. And you fall into the trap of thinking you just need one good win... and the win makes you happy so you gamble it to get the happy feeling again... and lose it.

If you don't guess which driver wins the Nations Cup in World Series 1, what do you lose? If you do, can you wager your winnings to get the happy fix again in World Series Showdown?

Gambling is pretty much evil. Pretending things that aren't gambling are gambling (while also suggesting loot boxes, which literally are gambling, are not) cheapens just how evil it is.

Last edited:
Let's tell it like it is: handing out in-game credits for these "predictions" is simply PD desperately attempting to generate some interest in their eSports events from their REAL playerbase.

Thoughts on this being also possibly exploited for race fixing?
I don't think the prize is worth the trouble, even if that were a concern. Couple million credits is ultimately nothing, and it's nothing that can be transferred into a real currency anyway so you'd have to be a fool to put it all on the line for that.

Thoughts on this being also possibly exploited for race fixing?
Can you explain how this would work, and what the benefit would be to those fixing the race?

A correct prediction is worth 500k credits, which is really very little.

Keep in mind these races already happened a couple of weeks ago.

Is Miyazono greyed out for anyone else in Nations cup prediction? Same with Brooks but he has withdrawn from the event so it makes sense. AFAIK Miyazono is still in it and probably the top pick for a lot of people.

Miyazono isn't participating due to the same reason Kaz isn't present.

I hope everyone who has picked him is allowed to either change it or receives like 500k or so :scared:

I hope everyone who has picked him is allowed to either change it or receives like 500k or so :scared:
Yeah I’ve just heard the same, who will be driving instead of him for Subaru in Manu I wonder? I am still able to vote for subaru for the moment

He got Covid too? Get well soon for him.

Also, goddammit I picked him!

Ah that's a shame, I went all in on Miyazono - tremendous driver, I hope he gets well soon.

Still fully confident in the other drivers for Subaru though, especially with the beast of a car they have.

Too bad - also went for Miyazono, he drove really well last week and I was looking forward to his performance.
TBH I don't mind that much missing on the potential reward, but it is sad 2 great drivers are not going to be able to defend their chance 😔
Hope everyone recover fine.

Damn, had also went with Miyazono and Subaru. Though I did hesitate between Subaru and Nissan and yesterday, I wish I had chosen Nissan, don't know why, just a hunch.

This is why I never gamble. It's OK, you can laugh. :(

bad luck.jpg

Back