Grand Theft Auto 3D Trilogy Remaster Officially Revealed, Coming This Year

I mean they've kinda been spending their time on RDR2 during all of this. There's a reason it's taken so long.
RDR is R* San Diego, GTA is R* North. Different dev studios.

It's most likely a combination of milking easy money from GTAV and the company issues with Benzies and Dan Houser leaving and all the legal fighting relating to it.

I mean they've kinda been spending their time on RDR2 during all of this. There's a reason it's taken so long.
I don't doubt that but its no secret the online portion of both GTA5 and RDR2 have resulted in the delay for GTA6.

But as I have no interest on the online parts for those games and much prefer the single player experience its frustrating for me personally.

Gameplay leaks are happening right now, and it seems like these remasters are based on the (horrible) PS3/Xbox360 versions of these games (which were in turn based on the mobile versions). These are known as being (by far) the worst versions of these games, and are full of bugs, some of which are game breaking.

An overview of the issues these versions had:

The reason that people are figuring out it's based on that version, is that many of the issues from those versions have already been witnessed in the leaks. It is also being done by the same developers that made those versions (although they have changed their name from Wardrum to Grove Street Games)

So, be careful what you buy.

Last edited:
Full list of songs released. Some classics missing (I'm bummed about no She Sells Sanctuary in VC, no Running Down a Dream in SA, and no Ozzy in both).

511q1ilp5sy71.jpg

lol Vice City and 3 look atrocious. The weather effects are awful, the lighting engine makes everything look like you hacked a car in GT3 to have a dirtiness value of FFFFFFFF, and there are a bunch of glitches with the car models (which themselves aren't using the improved models from the Xbox version as a base, so you get a super high resolution... flat image for the engine bays and wheels). Almost certainly the censored version (even beyond the playlists being gutted) of Vice City, too; so "definitive version" my ass. Rockstar yanked the "definitive" versions of those two off Steam to get people to buy this one.

3 is so cartoony and bright that it looks like a completely different game. They practically reshaded it so it looks like the beta images of the game that floated around magazines in early 2001.

San Andreas looks fine in comparison, even if it still suffers from Nintendo, Hire This Man itself with the way the assets are spread around.

None of the shooting looks like it was improved at all in Vice City or 3; just an interface overhaul.

All told they took a bunch of dated games that nonetheless had defined art styles and turned them into cheap knockoffs of The Sims 4 but with guns that Rockstar clearly didn't spend much money on. Hopefully modders will be able to do something to save them on PC, if they are really (San Andreas in particular) based on the awful mobile ports.

Last edited:
^That pretty much echoes exactly how I feel when I see it. I think SA is coming to Game Pass, so at least the best game of the 3 (remastered or not, imo) should be available to play for "free".

3 is so cartoony and bright that it looks like a completely different game. They practically reshaded it so it looks like the beta images of the game that floated around magazines in early 2001.
tbh that would've been cool had it been an intentional stylistic choice and not a half-assed attempt at trying to make the game look better

I've watched the stream from GTA Series Videos, where they've played each game for an hour. My expectations were low, but oh boy...

Shortly: This is low-effort, low-budget, questionable hot garbage.

Rockstar is a big company which makes a ton of money, re-releasing GTA5 for 8 years and making tons of cash with GTA Online.

I see NO EXCUSE for them to sell this game as a "Defenetive edition" and charge full price.
I see no excuse for them to outsource this job to a side studio and not do it themselves. Nothing makes sense, only the fact that they wanted to roll out something for the anniversary and make some extra cash. Most casual players seem to like it, but I feel terrible about theese games.

The only reason I see for them to switch for a new engine is to make some mechanics like camera and werpons work in a new way. Just because re-coding everything on an old clunky engine would be hard. And making everything more stable in terms of graphics. (although, Burnout Paradice feels great on the old renderware engine). Many of the new visual effects like reflections or weather look better in original or modded original games.

Most of the game's aspects are left ontouched, but in places where something was touched...oh boy...
Clay,fat, sims-looking protagonists...GTA 3 doesn't even use vehicle models from Mobile version, which have detailed engine bays.
Vice city is full of Off-road going sport cars, like that Corvette with lifted suspension. Glitched sounds, glitched cutscenes, bugs in map.

I don't feel like the games are using the potential of PS4/PS5. For example, there was a moment on stream, when CJ was flying in the jet around the whole map of San Andreas. It felt dead and empty, with cars almost never spawning and no pedestrians. You know, something like a Unity project that's been put together over a couple of nights.

Almost no blood effects, Caensorship above already censored versions of the games (remember Haitian-friendly vice city? With cut dialoges and everything?)

Cut music, cut features, and overall lack of attention to detail. Even menu sounds in all 3 games are of San Andreas.

You can defend Rockstar all you want, but this is insane. A company with a best selling game in the world won't spend some money to Remake their best selling games, or at least properly remaster them? This is shame. The atmosphere of the Smoggy, dark and dirty GTA 3 is lost. Neon vibes of Vice city - lost, it's toxic now, unlike PS2 version with Trials effect on. Having no fog effect at any given time or weather ruins everything too, you can see infinite sea line and the whole map, as if you were to open it in a map editor.

It feels wrong to call it Defenetive edition.

Mafia team barely had the resources that Rockstar has, yet they Remade the game from Ground Up and did a great job. It feels, plays and looks like a miracle and a dream come true. Could you imagine something like this happening to the trilogy?

All 3 GTA games are small, clunky and repetative by todays standarts and deserve a proper remake, not a remaster. Now, thanks to Rockstar, we won't see this happening for another 10-15 years.

There's so many things that are wrong with this game that SHOULD have been noticed by TESTERS. Yet, here's the final product.

And I personally think that this is the reason they haven't showed us actual gameplay, just one short trailer. Because even the trailer and a few screenshots already raised an eyebrow and were very questionable. And this is the reason it's sold in a Bundle. Cause why buy all 3 games for 60$ if you could buy one and see that it's a boring mess of low-effort, not loved garbage.

This is no respect. I'll stick to playing uncensored originals on my PS2 and having fun.

Last edited:
So I never really kept any great track of these games, would the actual definitive edition, in terms of the vanilla game and not any heavily modded version, be the original PS2 discs and the original Steam versions? Thankfully I still have both, but haven't fired either up in years.

Last edited:
For San Andreas it is probably the PS2 version. PC and Xbox versions (in particular the former) of that are kinda sloppy in spots, with some broken graphical effects, missing graphical features and odd bugs even though it is enhanced a fair bit elsewhere; almost as if they built the ports off of an earlier version of the PS2 version; but it really could arguably go either way between PS2 and Xbox (which is why people were so mad when it was added to backwards compatibility on Xbone by replacing it with the awful mobile port).

Vice City is definitely the PC version, since it had most of the improvements of the later Xbox version plus a couple of bug fixes; but also remained the uncensored and full soundtrack experience all the way up to when the game was yanked off Steam a few weeks ago. You can also run it with that reverse engineered source port and get a better camera and the full map loaded into memory at startup, like San Andreas; and it also controls better on PC.

3 is arguably the Xbox version, since it had a bunch of graphical enhancements on top of the ones that that the PC version got (the cars in particular) and 3 never went under the knife like Vice City did; but the PC version with the decompilation would be just as good since 3 also controls better on PC and has the same enhancements as the Vice City reverse engineered port.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks. I'll have to dig around and see what tweaks and enhancements are available for the PC/steam versions, I was never interested in the heavy modding but I'm sure there are some tweaks to fix the worst issues. I don't think I've touched them since I first bought them years ago.

Just looked at my Steam history actually, I bought a then complete GTA pack, I to IV, for £4.99, in 2011. Quite the bargain.

What a shame they won't be available to anyone new these days, the youth of today will forever remember these games looking like this

mfsj5w0swty71.jpg

For anyone of age though, they're basically just inviting them to pirate the old versions so as not to suffer the above if they don't already have a good copy.

Some more particularly suspect screenshots from the definitive edition here

I'm starting to think the character models are the work of some sort of procedural algorithm. Would an actual human artist make Old Reece look like he's 35? And why is the roller skate bikini woman's head 40% smaller than it's supposed to be? Would a living and breathing human, make another human that looks like THIS?

And why, oh why, did they eliminate the distance-obscuring fog? That totally wrecks the sense of scale that was so carefully crafted in the original PS2 releases. Sure, eliminate it if you actually make the map bigger, but it's beyond dumb to do it when your entire map - intended to depict 3 very large urban areas - is less than half the size of just Hollywood.

Last edited:
Sad part is it will probably still sell well because GTA, Grove Street Games will think they've done a good job and R* will hand them their next remaster project on the cheap to mess up another one.

Get ready for GTA IV Definitive Edition looking like a circus completely killing the tone of the original game.

Last edited:
And why, oh why, did they eliminate the distance-obscuring fog? That totally wrecks the sense of scale that was so carefully crafted in the original PS2 releases. Sure, eliminate it if you actually make the map bigger, but it's beyond dumb to do it when your entire map - intended to depict 3 very large urban areas - is less than half the size of just Hollywood.
This is another thing I saw that looked really off. The environment changes look nice from the ground. Once you get in the air, though, the color palette in the games ends up looking really off. San Andreas may benefit better from the size & the variety of locations, but GTA III & VC age poorly when seen from above.

Last edited:
I should have bought 3 and VC's PS2 ports on PS4 when they were still available... Oh well, at least I have them on PS2...

This is another thing I saw that looked really off. The environment changes look nice from the ground. Once you get in the air, though, the color palette in the games ends up looking really off. San Andreas may benefit better from the size & the variety of locations, but GTA III & VC age poorly when seen from above.
It looks like a Lego or Simpsons game from the sky, especially Vice City.

lol the north hills of Liberty City are awful! They shoulhd have just added some trees and objects and make it walkable and thats it. Those houses are so lazily put together just for a nice scenery from afar

Well to be honest, I tried to play vice city and san andreas last year on ps4. Couldn’t get into it.

Bought this remaster and am totally hooked. It is just so great to play these games without feeling like you’re playing something that hasn’t aged very well.

Yes it’s different, yes some things might be a tas corny, glitchy or not so impressive as yesteryear, but man is it nice to able to play these games again and get totally immersed.

It seems like this whole project was rushed to be released in time for the 20th anniversary. From what I've seen, I'm probably not going to get it. Maybe in another 6 months they'll have updated it enough for me to bother.

Still down here as well, temporarily unavailable in this region it says, I was planning on checking this out this weekend.

Rockstar can't be happy with their prized IP becoming memes. Make no mistake, this is a disaster.
It's their own fault, they knew exactly what they would get giving them to the same studio that botched the mobile versions, and not letting them access to the original engine forcing them to port it to another one.

They also surely knew they weren't up to scratch when the final versions were submitted to them, given that they released next to no footage and had a review embargo seemingly beyond the release date. But still put it out.

Shame.

Latest Posts

Back