Grandea Reviews Games

United States
Fort Worth
That_sneaky_azN
GRG.png

Hello, and welcome to my review thread, where I check out a game and place my verdict for you all to see.

Now keep in mind, reviews are in the most part, subjective, which means that I may like the game, but others do not.

So let's have a little Q&A first, shall we?
Q: Do you have a schedule for reviewing games?
A: Not really, but I will most likely be active on this thread on Thursday, or on the weekends, since my last day of classes for the week is Thursday.

Q: Are requests allowed?
A: Yes, I can take requests. But don't flood this thread with them. Instead, shoot a PM to me. That would make things much cleaner.

Q: What consoles do you have?
A: Big list, actually. There will be a spoiler on the bottom of this post that will show you the list of consoles that I have.
Q: Will you do reviews as videos, or just as posts?
A: Videos? Maybe. But for the most part, I will be doing these reviews as general posts.

Q: Will it just be you reviewing the games?
A: Most likely, unless someone like @Kamata GTR wants to chime in or something.

• ASUS PC (Windows 8.1, Intel CORE i5)
  • MSX
  • MS DOS
  • Amiga (Doesn't work right now)
  • NES
  • Sharp Twin Famicom (plays both FDS and FC)
  • SNES
  • Super Famicom
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega CD
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Turbografx 16
  • PC Engine
  • Nintendo 64
  • Game Boy Color
  • Virtual Boy (NEW!)
  • Gamecube
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • PS1
  • PS2
  • PS3
  • PS4
  • PSP (NEW!)
  • XBOX 360

Last edited:
Game Queue
  • Super Fire ProWrestling X Premium (SFC, 1996)
  • Battle Grand Prix (SNES, 1992)
  • Virtua Tennis 3 (PSP, 2006)
  • Zero4 Champ (PCE, 1991) - Reviewed by @Kamata GTR
  • Thunder Force IV (MD, 1992)
  • Shenmue (DC, 2000)
  • Ridge Racer Unbounded (XB360, 2012) - Reviewed by @Kamata GTR
  • Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (XB360, 2008)
  • Wangan Midnight Portable (PSP, 2007)
  • Street Rod 2 (DOS, 1991)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 JPN (FC, 1986)
  • R: Racing Evolution (GC, 2003) - Suggested by @FilipinoGTUser1
  • Ryu ga Gotoku 0 (PS4, 2015)

Last edited:
Score Archives
  1. Initial D: Extreme Stage (PS3) - 80/100 B
  2. Batman: The Video Game (GB) - 75/100 C
  3. Policenauts (PSX) - 95/100 A
  4. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX) - 87.5/100 B
  5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PSX) - 90/100 A
  6. R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 (PSX) - 95/100 A
  7. Super Street: The Game (PS4) - 30/100 F

Last edited:
Well, here goes the first review of this thread!

Initial D: Extreme Stage
SEGA

Initial_D_Extreme_Stage_Cover.jpg

Released in 2008 for Asian markets only

Rating: CERO A (Equivalent to ESRB E and PEGI... 3???)
Genre: Arcade, Racing

Initial D Extreme Stage was released around mid-2008 in Japan and was a revised console port of Arcade Stage 4, both of which were based on the Initial D Manga series written by Shuichi Shigeno.

So what is Initial D?

initial-d-331786.jpg

Initial D is a sports (car racing is a sport, you know) manga created in 1995 that takes place mostly in mountain passes all throughout Japan. The manga stars a young man named Takumi Fujiwara, who takes on various opponents in togue (JP for pass) races with the iconic Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex, the AE86.

To put in simpler terms, it's about Japanese illegal street racing in mountain passes.

There are a total of 81 volumes of the Manga that have been released. 48 of these being the official Japanese release, and the remaining 33 being releases from Tokyopop.

As Shigeno wrote the series, Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya helped out with editorial supervision.

Now, with the backstory of the game done with, let's get on with the game.

Initial D1.jpg

Now unfortunately, I won't be able to upload any screenshots of how my game looks, because I don't have a capture card at the moment, and pictures would end up looking like potatoes.

When you start off the game and create a new file, you are prompted to create your own character. If you're aiming to create a character that looks like you, You'll be in for a tough time. You start off with very few options for things such as hair, clothing, and accessories, but as you progress through the game, you'll get more neat stuff.

- M E N U S -

There's Japanese everywhere, but you don't really need to understand them to get the gist of what each function does in the various menus.

wpid-2014-10-24-11-16-14-jpg.jpeg

- F E A T U R E S -

One character (save file) can have up to 3 cars in their garage. Cars in this game are absolutely free, but you can only have three of them, so choose wisely.

In my save file, I have an S15 Silvia, an S13 Silvia, and a BNR32 GT-R.

Each car in the game have their own choice of bodykits, exhausts, and wheels.

While the cars are for free, the parts for them aren't. And the economics in this game can get a bit crazy for some. Chances are, most people who play this game will more than likely spend their points on performance points instead of visuals (The most expensive part, a turbocharger (?) costs 50,000 points. The least expensive parts, which are stage 1 parts, typically range within 1,000 to 2,000 points. On the side of visuals, a front bumper will cost you 30,000 points, while an entire bodykit set costs 150,000!).

On top of that, visual parts do absolutely NOTHING with aiding handling or aerodynamics in the game, compared to the performance parts.

initial_d_extreme_stage_PS3.jpg

- G A M E P L A Y -

Players of Initial D Arcade Stage 4 can get familiar with the controls easy with a wheel. A player with a DS3 can play the game fine, but I do have a minor gripe with this: You can't use the D-Pad to turn the car, only the analog stick.

In the most part, the cars drive like they are on ice. The slightest tug on the wheel or tilt of the stick can send you sideways. If you aren't careful enough.

If you're a person who prefers AT in racing games, well, you are in a way SOL. The car won't shift at the right points, and while you can manually downshift the car, it will not help at all, because the AT will think it's in the wrong gear for being in a lower RPM, and will downshift AGAIN for you. For a racing game like this, MT is the way to go. It doesn't help that as you drift, the AT downshifts to a lower gear, which will cause you to plummet into a wall.

The gearing in most of the cars are decent, but almost all of them have long-ass top gears. This can lead to a tremendous drop in speed, and will make the opponent gain a serious advantage over you sometimes.

Despite having a fully modded car, don't expect your car to go faster than 200 km/h (124 mph) in most parts of the game, this isn't Wangan Midnight.

When you collide into your opponent, it doesn't really do much, unless you're blocking them from the behind. When your opponent collides with you however, you may end up surviving, or you may end up getting screwed over. It's pretty clear that the AI in this game follows a specific driving line, as they will mindlessly plow through you EVERYWHERE.

On the topic of collisions, they can get a tad bit wonky. There are chances that the AI will just phase through you, and this mostly happens around a corner. I would be right alongside someone like Kyosuke and as I go around a corner, I would take up majority of the road (I am going sideways in a drift) and he will just fwoop into existence right past me. It can sometimes get confusing and frustrating.

Rubberbanding is present in this game through two ways:​
  • The opponent is far behind and will stay a certain distance at maximum (for example, when racing Itsuki, and you are curb-stomping him, he can only go as far as 191m behind you).
  • The opponent unexpectedly gets extremely fast as you progress through the course and within seconds, is already by your tail. This is highly notable upon entry or exiting a corner.
Remember how I said that you would be able to understand what does what in the menus in this game? As you race, the characters will talk every few seconds, and while some people may be able to explicate what they may be saying, it can get a tad bit annoying when you don't understand what they are saying for the most part.

- D I F F I C U L T Y -

ME0000966075_2.jpg

Oh boy, can this game get difficult. Even on easy.

Granted, it is a modified port of an arcade game, so what can you expect?

Overall, the game starts out nice and smooth for most of the first half of story mode, but once you face Takumi in Akina, the game starts to go crazy hard on you.

There are very few moments where the difficulty spikes up tremendously, but your first surprise experience will be at Akina towards the end. Sure, you may just ditch Takumi in the beginning stretch, but once you reach the first major hairpin, he will pass you, and he will lose you.

While the game can get extremely difficult, it is somewhat justified, as the AI does tactics like the characters would do in the manga (Takumi and the rain gutters in Akina, Kai and his jump overtakes on Irohazaka, etc.).

If you can't handle the pressure of the harder opponents, the best thing you can do is just practice and find the right driving line.
Either that, or rage quit.

- G R A P H I C S & Q U A L I T Y -

489359-initiald7.jpg

The graphics of Extreme Stage are pretty good and makes it seem like you're watching a 3D version of the manga/anime. All the characters accurately look like how they are depicted in the manga version as well.

inid03.jpg

The game runs completely smooth in game, although some frame hiccups may happen in menus and some cutscenes.

- C O N C L U S I O N -

gfs_100184_2_8.jpg

Fans of the Arcade Stage series, mainly 4, would be able to get a kick out of this game, namely due to how similar it is in terms of driving and physics. For other people, while it may seem complex at first, the game is actually fairly simple to begin with, and over time, you may discover new tactics to use when going against your future opponents.

Honestly, the only IDAS game I have played was Stage 3, which was the only one I could find here in Texas. Upon approaching this game, I found the game to be very approachable, and while you may not understand what the characters or the menus are saying, players can still get the basics down easily without having to read online as to what to do once they get a hold of the controller.

It's a game you can play over and over, and yet still get a kick out of it.

Final Verdict
80/100
B
The Ups:
Story Immersion
Smooth Gameplay
Many Customization Options
Fast-Paced Action
Simple Game Pickup
The Downs:
Japanese Only
Collision Physics can get out of whack
Limited controller configuration for DS3
Game can become a grindfest just to get parts

Last edited:
Heh, I have this game. Haven't really played it though... just happened to pick it up alongside an Evangelion slot machine game for PS3, which I've also hardly played. :lol:

Heh, I have this game. Haven't really played it though... just happened to pick it up alongside an Evangelion slot machine game for PS3, which I've also hardly played. :lol:
There are slot machine games for the PS3?

Pretty good review. Will you be focusing on any particular types of games and will it be mainly new or older games?

Hmm... the first review was definitely a great start; very informative, but also with a good personal insight so that it doesn't feel like you're just spitting out game trivia. That Initial D gets a 👍 from me, without a doubt.

And if you're taking suggestions, may I send you one?

Batman: The Video Game (Game Boy Version)
SunSoft

1768_front.jpg

Released in 1990 worldwide

Rating: All Ages

The Game Boy version of Batman: The Video Game was a platformer game that was completely different from the NES and Genesis version. All three versions were loosely based on the 1989 film directed by Tim Burton.

NANANANANANANANA BATMANNNNNNNNN

For those who don't know, Batman is a comic book character that has been thriving about for the past 76 years now (the first Batman issue was released as Detective Comics #27, which was released in 1939).

latest

Batman (secret identity Bruce Wayne) is a superhero who swore revenge against criminals after witnessing the murder of his own parents, making use of his intellect, strength, wealth, and will to take down crime (Batman doesn't have any superhuman powers).

Over the course of Gotham history (?) it was clear to most readers that Batman does NOT condone the use of guns when he's around.

Batman.jpeg

However, Batman in some issues did bend that rule around a bit.

batman-2.jpg

So let's get on with the game.

B1.jpg

So you guys may wonder why I brought up the "no guns rule" earlier when I talked about Batman.

Well, the reason why is...

B4.jpg

Batman has a gun in this game!

That's right. This one asset (aside from a couple of other things) makes the Game Boy version different from the home console versions. Aside from that, all three versions still follow the same suit as to what they are classified as: platformers.

- G A M E P L A Y -

B5.jpg

Batman is a simple run (well not really run) and gun platformer sort of game, somewhat akin to that of Megaman.

From this screenshot you can see the most common elements to this game: blocks you can shoot, and an enemy you should shoot if you want to score big or stay safe.

The darker blocks carry powerups and whatnot, such as life and shot upgrades.

B7.jpg

Sometimes, you may get confused with the layout of a particular part of a level, and for some players (including me), those descending platforms and that steel beam make it look like the game wants you to go down.

So what happens if you follow your instincts and go down?

B8.jpg

You die.

B9.jpg

This can be the case for some GB games, but it doesn't really help that there are some parts of the background that look impassable to the average player.

Overall, the gameplay is very simple and the controls are responsive, and plays rather solid.

- M U S I C -

The music, while it isn't Batman-esque in some ways, is still pretty good. The title theme however does somewhat sound like the 1989 movie theme. Somewhat.

Sounds like Journey to Silius!

- S T O R Y -

Being loosely based on the 1989 film, the game does follow the film a bit, as the opening cutscene mentions Jack Napier (who becomes the Joker shortly after) sneaking into the Axis Chemicals plant.

The cutscenes are nicely detailed, as well.

B2.jpg
B3.jpg

B11.0.jpg

Though, I don't think Batman was a dwarf.

- D I F F I C U L T Y -

The game has a fair difficulty curve, getting more and more difficult as you progress. You can get hit and die a lot.

Eventually, as you progress farther into the game, the amount of enemies in each stage increase or get stronger.

B10.jpg

Another thing to note is that this game puts heavy emphasis on platforming. There are bottomless pits almost everywhere in the game, along with tiny platforms and moving ones.

It's easy to get careless and fall to your death in this game, especially if you're in need for some health and it's over a pit.

Also, this game lacks checkpoints. So if you die, you restart back to where you first started the level. This can be justified for some, as I find the levels in this game to be rather short.

Bosses, however, are a completely different story. For example, the very first boss in the game, Jack, can get ridiculous for some players. you have to aim for his tiny head, or else your shots won't do jack squat on the guy.

- C O N C L U S I O N -

The game isn't really groundbreaking to a set degree, but it can get engaging and fun, but frustrating as well. Solid gameplay, solid immersion, and competent music, this game is decent overall, with some rough edges and some smooth ones at that.

Final Verdict
75/100

C

The Ups:
Simple pick up and play controls
Solid music
Fair difficulty
Well-detailed cutscenes
The Downs:
Character size discrepancies
No save or password feature
Confusing layout in some levels

Attachments

• B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Did you really need to introduce who Batman is? I mean, shouldn't that considered common knowledge these days, it's not like people don't know about Spiderman if you know what I mean... :lol:

But other than that, nifty game. The fact that Batman uses a firearm is without a doubt one grave continuity mistake, but most GBC superhero games tend to do that often. Of course, Titus Games's Superman is a clear example of that, haha.

I do need to point this out, however; I get that the screen capturing software dwarfs the pictures' size, but isn't there a way to post-edit them into larger sizes? Nothing over-the-top, just something around the 600x500 pixels or similar. It does tend to be a bit of an issue having to squint your eyes to see the picture clearly, that's all.

I do need to point this out, however; I get that the screen capturing software dwarfs the pictures' size, but isn't there a way to post-edit them into larger sizes? Nothing over-the-top, just something around the 600x500 pixels or similar. It does tend to be a bit of an issue having to squint your eyes to see the picture clearly, that's all.
I'm actually in the process of resizing the images right now :lol:

Images are larger now, @Niku Driver HC

Although they may be a bit too big.

Last edited:
What is a spiderman? A guy who dresses up as a spider? Why would you want to do that? I mean a bat is really cool and all, but spiders are just lame. Besides how are you going to show 8 legs?

Policenauts
Konami

psx-291-21312224004.jpg

Playstation version released in 1996, all versions released only in Japan

Rating: CERO C (Equivalent to ESRB T and PEGI 16)
Genre: Interactive Drama

Policenauts is a visual novel released initially in 1994 for the NEC-PC9821, and was ported to the 3DO in 1995, followed by the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation in 1996. Hideo Kojima directed the game, and made a cameo in-game as a VA for one of the characters.

MY BACKSTORY

Policenauts has caught my attention for years on end ever since I heard of it in a gaming magazine article. However, at that time I didn't know jack squat about any sort of Japanese (I do now, but not enough to hold a conversation), so I had to wait for some sort of English port to happen.
Last year, I learned that a fan translation was released in 2009 at Kojima's birthday, and I, despite being very late to the party, was extremely delighted at the news.

And here I am, about to tell you guys my thought on it.

The game before Metal Gear Solid

Okay, so this really wasn't the game before MGS (there was a Tokimeki Memorial game in 1997), but let's just roll with it.

I mean....
54-pn229.png

latest

... Right?

So What is Policenauts?

PoliceheaderImg.jpg

Policenauts is a futuristic sci-fi.... err.... cop action (?) visual novel that is the spiritual successor to the cyberpunk interactive drama, Snatcher.

giphy.gif

The game mainly stars a young man by the name of Jonathan Ingram, and his buddy cop, Ed Brown, who together along with the help of a handful of friends and allies, solve the mystery behind the murder of Ingram's ex-wife and her missing husband.

tumblr_n1irnrt3rs1tseeqxo1_540.jpg

Who both just happen to look like Riggs and Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon.

riggs2.jpg

That's all I'm going to say about the game, I won't be spoiling key points.

So with that said, let's get on with the game.

52438-policenauts-playstation-screenshot-title-screen.gif

When you first encounter the title screen, you'll come across a variant of this tune.

Sounds familiar, eh?

It's the Konami theme from Metal Gear Solid!

- G A M E P L A Y -

Being originally a point-and-click game (most PC-98 games were), it follows the rules pretty straightforward: move the cursor over something that looks interesting and select a type of interaction.

49-pn054.png

15-pn079.png

There really isn't much to say about the gameplay in visual novels like this one, but there is one thing that I will somewhat gripe about.

6-pn103.png

The combat in this game is a tad bit clunky, since the PSX version uses a controller. Chances are, you don't have a PSX Mouse either, like I did.

In this game, as you hold the directional buttons to move the cursor, the cursor progressively gets faster until you let go. In times of combat, this can be a hindrance at times, causing you to miss your target by a centimeter or so.

Then again, there is a lock-on button present by tapping on the shoulder button.

- G R A P H I C S & V I S U A L S -

61-pn065.png

The graphics are amazing and well-animated. The level of detail in many areas and cutscenes are rather impressive as well.

Allow the pictures to do the talking.

32-pn131.png

39-pn138.png

22-pn172.png

4-pn183.png

9-pn185.png

I will say, between this and the PC-98 version, in terms on non-animated scenes, the PC-98 does it better, as there is one part where Jonathan has a little monologue and it showcases him in Beyond Coast (the main setting of Policenauts).

tumblr_n1kltkack41tseeqxo1_540.jpg

In the PSX version, however, it only showcases the station, in Jonathan's POV (which is the scene you see afterwards in the original)

4-pn183.png

- M U S I C & A U D I O -

Like the graphics, the music is well done, and in my opinion, very immersive to the game's background and nature.

Have a sampler:

Here's a link to the full OST if you want to listen to more!

The voice acting is executed nicely overall, as well.

26-pn203.png

- D I F F I C U L T Y -

Like some visual novels (and most notably Snatcher), chances are, you'll get yourself lost or going around in circles.

15-pn193.png

Aside from the rather clunky combat system, the difficulty isn't too bad if you have good reflexes. But don't take my word for it. You can still screw up a whole bunch in this game by either saying the wrong thing, or getting gunned down by the enemy (or enemies).

You can save almost anywhere in this game, use that to your advantage (italicized for emphasis).

- C O N C L U S I O N -

Just like most games made by Kojima (Snatcher, Z.O.E., and MGS), Policenauts is what I can consider a masterpiece for how it is, how the game presents itself to the player, the immersion present in various aspects of the story, and the audio works, altogether make up for a pretty big and engaging experience.

The game has been available in English for a while now (I love you, PTP), so I recommend giving this game a try.

Final Verdict
95/100
A
The Ups:
Engaging Storyline
Impressive voice work
Fitting music
Great visuals and detail

The Downs:
Clunky combat system controls with a controller

Damm son, Policenauts getting the sort of praise only a Kojima game can get. I can understand why, however; apart from the clunky combat mechanics, this is a graphical adventure game that hits all the right marks. Crisp, well-done animation, music that never fails to match the mood (whatever that mood may be, from sadness to joy), and of course proper Japanese voice acting that was not thrashed for the sake of introducting a poor English adaptation of it. I like to think that Policenauts is a bit of a modernized Snatcher, bar the lack of android references compared to that game. They look similar, they play similar (from what I've seen of both), and they even sound similar.

Also, speaking of looking similar, I never thought about that "Lethal Weapon" thing regarding the main characters, now I'll never be able to unsee it. Thanks a lot, haha. :lol:

Hi.

Welcome to my review guys. LOL

Anyway, time to get started. This is my first review, and it's also a game that's pretty popular. So don't, err.... Expect much.

KAMATA GTR REVIEWS
METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE
FOR MSX2

3-ysA6u.gif

So Metal Gear 2 was released in July 1990, a year after METAL GEAR?!?!?

*ahem

Anyway, compared to the 1st game, the sequel was vastly superior in terms of graphics (because it was the MSX2, so yeah), and was larger. The game still in a way played the same as the first one though.

MG2 takes place 4 years after MG1. Mel Gibson Solid Snake is assigned to make his way to Zanzibar Land and rescue Albert Einstein Kio Marv, a scientist.

GAMEPLAY

Metal_Gear_2-Solid_Snake_PS2_34_MSX.png

Well, like I said before, MG2 plays a lot like MG1, sneaking about, reaching new areas, and defeating the big bad. However, there are some added mechanics to the game, like the addition of a radar, and crouching and crawling about.

metal-gear-2-solid-snake-msx.gif

This added mechanic allows Mel Gibson Snake to crawl under desks to hide from the enemy, or to crawl into air vents to reach new areas.

No seriously it's Mel Gibson. Again. In a Konami game. Yup yup.
1712027-solid_snake_msx2.jpg

If you just got MG2 and came from a game from the Solid series, you'll be in a whole different world with this one, with limited 4-Direction movement and overall slower gameplay.

MUSIC

As expected from a company like Konami, the music is nice, and fits well with the game.

Listen to the full OST here!

DIFFICULTY

So how hard is the game?

MSX2--Metal%20Gear%202%20%20Solid%20Snake_Jun28%2015_59_22.png

You might be seeing this a lot. Really.

As long as you don't get caught in game, everything should be fine. Should.

Now if you get caught, well, you're practically SOL. Unlike MGS and the later games, in MG2, if you get caught and hide under something, they still know you're there, no matter what.

The game isn't that brutal though, as you keep on playing, because eventually, you'll catch on to enemy movements and patterns, as well as tips and tricks to keep yourself alive.

@Grandea GTR Big Bossed this game, I don't know how the hell he even did it

FINAL THOUGHTS

It's Metal Gear and it's breddy gud. Those two always mix well, right?

Metal_Gear_Acid_Coverart.png

Well, almost.

Anywho, MG2 is a really good early entry in the series, and makes for a smooth sequel transition from MG1 to MG2.

I would recommend it.

FINAL SCORE

8.75 / 10

+ Nice graphics for the time
+ Great immersion overall

- Slightly tough learning curve
- Much slower to play if you're a person coming from MGS and later

As requested by @DurWinning
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Neversoft

TonyHawksProSkaterPlayStation1.jpg

Released in 1999 for the PSX and 2000 for the N64

Rating: T

Genre: Sports, Extreme Sports?

The 1st Pro Skater game, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was the one game that launched the series into a successful franchise.

So who is Tony Hawk?

For those who don't know who he is, Tony Hawk was a pro skater who was mostly known for pulling off a 900 in the 1999 X-Games.

Hawk was considered one of the most influential skateboarders of all time, and like many pro skateboarders, pulled off some crazy tricks and stunts, including a downward spiral.

Now that you (kinda) know who he is, if you didn't know, let's get on with the game!

172857-tony-hawk-s-pro-skater-playstation-screenshot-european-title.jpg

I don't have my capture card with me (stuff is back at home, in my dorm at the moment of typing this), so I have no choice but to roll with screenshots. Sorry guys.

- G A M E P L A Y -

So what do you do in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater?

You pick a skater, pick a board, pick a place, and...

upload_2016-3-9_21-6-18.png

... SHRED!!!

That's pretty much the premise of this game, get crazy with a skateboard. Do tricks and pull off some insane stunts...

upload_2016-3-9_21-7-2.png

... All without wiping yourself out, of course.

The game is pretty simple: rock the park, pull some sweet moves, score some big points, dude.

The controls are pretty much pick up and play level. It doesn't really take that long to learn the basics in the game, with extreme flexibility on what you can do with the buttons.

The gameplay is what makes Tony Hawk's Pro Skater go for gold. It's so fun, I see large replay values in this game.

- G R A P H I C S -

upload_2016-3-9_21-9-8.png

The game isn't really that heavy with graphics, but this game isn't made to be played for the graphics, it's for the gameplay. Aside from that, I'd say the visuals are fine, given the environment you are in.

upload_2016-3-9_21-11-41.png

upload_2016-3-9_21-12-20.png

- M U S I C -

The soundtrack is very fitting for this game, with songs ranging from carefree, laid back tunes to just plain out hardcore punk music.

This game was also where I discovered "Superman" by Goldfinger.

Playlist is integrated in this, so feel free to check it out!

- C O N C L U S I O N -

It feels pretty nice playing this game once again.

If you aren't familiar with the series, I suggest giving this game a go, it's impressive on the technical side, and holds massive amounts of fun. I'd recommend it.

Final Verdict
90/100
A

The Ups:

FUN
Simple Gameplay
Replay Value
Pick up and play controls

The Downs:

Graphics aren't the best

I suppose age hasn't weighed down the old Hawk all that much... which is fortunate, because the newer Hawks should've already been retired a long time ago.

To be fair, I have never played the first THPS, only its sequel's demo on the PS1. Of course, that one is even more polished and better-looking that the OG THPS, which is no mean feat... Much like me when I managed to pull off a Christ Air in the demo, before wiping out with great force on the concrete in my custom skate park. :ouch: :lol:

I suppose age hasn't weighed down the old Hawk all that much... which is fortunate, because the newer Hawks should've already been retired a long time ago.

To be fair, I have never played the first THPS, only its sequel's demo on the PS1. Of course, that one is even more polished and better-looking that the OG THPS, which is no mean feat... Much like me when I managed to pull off a Christ Air in the demo, before wiping out with great force on the concrete in my custom skate park. :ouch: :lol:
Ugh, 5.

I forgot about RIDE. It was so bad that I completely forgot that it existed. :lol:

Yes, apologies for having to remind you about that tragedy. 5 was bad, granted (it was f-ing atrocious in fact), but at least it wasn't bad while forcing an unreliable peripheral controller down your throat...

Back