GRID 2019

Some new clips were released last night, the only new clips in it are the super modified section. The rest are cuts from E3 and last week DPI gameplay.

The new cars spotted are Aston Martin Vantage GT4, looks to be the same model from Dirt Rally 2:

VkVhJze.png

Super Modfied Honda Civic FD2 seems to be back too:

Cb7E1EQ.png

Video:

It's not really a successor when the layout is exactly the same with just visual touchups.

Looking at the car/track list and gameplay vids, I feel like I have played 80% of this game already. If Codies just drops the game out of nowhere, it'll probably be fine. But teasing bits and pieces of content to get people excited is just going to backfire when old fans of the series can instantly notice all the recycled assets.

So much potential wasted IMO.

Looking at the car/track list and gameplay vids, I feel like I have played 80% of this game already.

Same here... That Barcelona roundabout ("Plaza de España") looks exactly the same. I love Autosport, but no point for me on buying the game only to get couple of more tracks, cars and Fernando Alonso. And who knows how the gameplay will feel and if I will like it...

Better be good the new IA, if not, there isn't anything really new on the game. And it was a good oportunity to open the arcade world of racing games to online matchmaking with rating system, being Grid the most focused of all arcade games on racing.

On the other hand. I always wanted Remaster of original GRID on current gen consoles. I always wondered why they didn't made Autosport for PS4/XboxOne. So there we have it.
I'd like a remastered ToCA 1 & 2. Not going to happen. So, I'll have this.👍

Phew! I kept seeing videos outside the car. Even when a demo was switching views, there wasn't one from cockpit. Thank goodness. Was about to consider passing this one - even with my beloved TCR.

here you go. There is cockpit cam footage.

From the very beginning.

FIRST LOOK: Feast your eyes on the legendary Renault R26 in GRID, in both its original livery and exclusive GRID edition livery

The R26 was of course driven to a World Championship by our Race Consultant, Fernando Alonso. Want to find out more on how Alonso is helping to make GRID #LikeNoOther? We'll be revealing more very soon.

68403404_2337675352980829_73895191500554240_o.jpg

67699030_2337675386314159_9060389628678242304_o.jpg

"Race consultant" jeeeeeeezzz... There is no problem on saying he is there just to attract attention, just for promotion. Heck that's even something that makes me care about the game. But please don't try to sell me that "we have a racing driver so our game is more realistic" BS...

"Race consultant" jeeeeeeezzz... There is no problem on saying he is there just to attract attention, just for promotion. Heck that's even something that makes me care about the game. But please don't try to sell me that "we have a racing driver so our game is more realistic" BS...
I read you, but I think it's more like having "The Maestro" in GT Sport. Lewis isn't a consultant, but just a fan. He put one lap together, but doesn't make GT Sport any more of the game that it is. It's to sell the game is all.

Where's the claim that Alonso's involvement makes the game more realistic?

I read you, but I think it's more like having "The Maestro" in GT Sport. Lewis isn't a consultant, but just a fan. He put one lap together, but doesn't make GT Sport any more of the game that it is. It's to sell the game is all.
Where's the claim that Alonso's involvement makes the game more realistic?

"We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world's greatest ever drivers.

"His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars."
https://www.autosport.com/esports/news/143554/alonso-consulting-on-new-codemasters-game

But yeah, the race consultant thing is not related to that kind of marketing. I thought it was part of it.

"We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world's greatest ever drivers.

"His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars."
https://www.autosport.com/esports/news/143554/alonso-consulting-on-new-codemasters-game

But yeah, the race consultant thing is not related to that kind of marketing. I thought it was part of it.

There's still no reference to him making it more realistic, though. :)

There's still no reference to him making it more realistic, though. :)

Oh, no at all. When you say "improvements on performance and handling" and talking of a real racing driver you actually mean that you are making the cars less realistic.

Got no time for this.

Oh, no at all. When you say "improvements on performance and handling" and talking of a real racing driver you actually mean that you are making the cars less realistic.

Got no time for this.
What? How so? There is no harm in getting a race driver to consult with the developers about physics.

What? How so? There is no harm in getting a race driver to consult with the developers about physics.

Except that is BS. Racing drivers dont know anything about making a game more realistic. He is there to makes you think that.

Let's begin with the most obvious: GRID is an arcade, and it's intended to be an arcade. Paying the money you need to have a double f1 world champion as a consultant to make the game more realistic is just ridiculous. Specially a guy that is not interested on racing videogames (only plays rally games).

But not just him, racing drivers don't know how a game works (they probably don't even know what tyre model is). Stefano Casillo said that: "numbers don't lie" meaning that when you are making a sim, talk with the engineers, not the drivers. He also told an anecdote (actually was from Massarutto): a racing driver came to test Assetto Corsa to Vallelunga, after he finished (he crashed in the sim) he told Stefano the sim was very bad. Later, he drover the real car in the real track (Kunos offices are inside Vallelunga) and he crashed in the exact same way, in the exact same corner as he did in the sim.

Racing drivers can help you with things like set ups, not in any way with the physics. Actually, you can cheat their consulting: you can change the set up to fulfill their recommendations and they won't be able to say if the game is more realistic or they just simply are confortable with the feel of the car.

Next: How many times have you seen Alonso working on the game? That pic playing with pad in a 15 inch monitor? If I had a world class driver helping, I would have posted videos every day even if in those videos the guy shows up saying the game is ****, like Milestone did with Loeb.

PD: I feel a bit weird explaining this to someone with so many activity in one of the largest forums of hardcore racing games.

Except that is BS. Racing drivers dont know anything about making a game more realistic. He is there to makes you think that.

Let's begin with the most obvious: GRID is an arcade, and it's intended to be an arcade. Paying the money you need to have a double f1 world champion as a consultant to make the game more realistic is just ridiculous. Specially a guy that is not interested on racing videogames (only plays rally games).

But not just him, racing drivers don't know how a game works (they probably don't even know what tyre model is). Stefano Casillo said that: "numbers don't lie" meaning that when you are making a sim, talk with the engineers, not the drivers. He also told an anecdote (actually was from Massarutto): a racing driver came to test Assetto Corsa to Vallelunga, after he finished (he crashed in the sim) he told Stefano the sim was very bad. Later, he drover the real car in the real track (Kunos offices are inside Vallelunga) and he crashed in the exact same way, in the exact same corner as he did in the sim.

Racing drivers can help you with things like set ups, not in any way with the physics. Actually, you can cheat their consulting: you can change the set up to fulfill their recommendations and they won't be able to say if the game is more realistic or they just simply are confortable with the feel of the car.

Next: How many times have you seen Alonso working on the game? That pic playing with pad in a 15 inch monitor? If I had a world class driver helping, I would have posted videos every day even if in those videos the guy shows up saying the game is ****, like Milestone did with Loeb.

PD: I feel a bit weird explaining this to someone with so many activity in one of the largest forums of hardcore racing games.

Very well said 👍 Unfortunately it seems a lot of people has trouble differentiating between marketing speak and actual technical feedback when it comes to big names being involved with a particular game. Apart from Richard Burns Rally, I honestly can't think of any other instance where a real driver input has resulted in a much better game than if the game would have been developed without them.

Real life drivers often have trouble with simulators because their bodies are not tuned to driving by visual cues alone. That's why sims often feel more difficult for them and if the devs end up taking their advice, they will end up with unrealistically high grip levels. IMO you need someone who grew up with racing sims but also races in real life to get the best feedback for developing games. It's like trying to translate between 2 languages. You gotta understand the nuances of each to not get things lost in translation. Someone like Alonso, is only fluent in one language (i.e. real life physics). Someone like Lucas Ordonez, David Perel, Igor Fraga and Rudy van Buuren would be a much better consultant. Maybe Lando Norris or Max Verstappen, but their experience will be limited to open wheelers only I imagine.

Very well said 👍 Unfortunately it seems a lot of people has trouble differentiating between marketing speak and actual technical feedback when it comes to big names being involved with a particular game. Apart from Richard Burns Rally, I honestly can't think of any other instance where a real driver input has resulted in a much better game than if the game would have been developed without them.

Real life drivers often have trouble with simulators because their bodies are not tuned to driving by visual cues alone. That's why sims often feel more difficult for them and if the devs end up taking their advice, they will end up with unrealistically high grip levels. IMO you need someone who grew up with racing sims but also races in real life to get the best feedback for developing games. It's like trying to translate between 2 languages. You gotta understand the nuances of each to not get things lost in translation. Someone like Alonso, is only fluent in one language (i.e. real life physics). Someone like Lucas Ordonez, David Perel, Igor Fraga and Rudy van Buuren would be a much better consultant. Maybe Lando Norris or Max Verstappen, but their experience will be limited to open wheelers only I imagine.

That matches surprisingly well with what happened in Dirt Rally 2.0. They gave a more important role to Jon Armstrong, who was a beta tester and then became a quite capable rally driver. Maybe just a coincidence, but DR2.0 has improved massively from DR4 and now probably is the rally game with the best physics IMO.

Maybe PC2? I think it was one of the Corvette Racing drivers that helped with the game. Other than that, not the game itself, but the cars. One o the McLaren test drivers helped with the 720S in that game. Also thinking of Patrick Long in the Porsches. He may be another Pro driver that helped with Porsche tuning.

May not be every car in game, but Pro drivers confiming specific cars handle they way they should, does help prove game physics accuracy, pertaining to those cars.

Maybe PC2? I think it was one of the Corvette Racing drivers that helped with the game. Other than that, not the game itself, but the cars. One o the McLaren test drivers helped with the 720S in that game. Also thinking of Patrick Long in the Porsches. He may be another Pro driver that helped with Porsche tuning.

May not be every car in game, but Pro drivers confiming specific cars handle they way they should, does help prove game physics accuracy, pertaining to those cars.

PC2 also have Rene Rast and Ben Collins working on the general feel on the rest of the cars, Vaughn Gittin did help on the drift physics.

That's my point exactly. Specific drivers giving feedback on specific cars is exactly what you need. And none of those drivers you mentioned are household names, nor are their names plastered all over the game box or marketing material. Compared to LH for GTS and FA for GRID for example, those are just mostly for marketing and not so much for technical feedback.

Maybe PC2? I think it was one of the Corvette Racing drivers that helped with the game. Other than that, not the game itself, but the cars. One o the McLaren test drivers helped with the 720S in that game.
You're thinking of Tommy Milner as the Corvette Racing driver and Chris Goodwin for Mclaren.

Latest Posts

Back