GT 5 Imperfections

• Thread starter RallyF1
  • 18 comments
i would like to start by saying if this thread needs to be deleted, then be it. but i wanted to share some of the things that i dislike about the quality issues, though they are minor, in GT5 so far.
1. the first nagging issue that i have and i keep on remarking on it is in the garage while the car is being prepped to race as the camera pans from the right to the left of the car from the front, have a look at the mechanic on the left and how his knee always goes through the ground.....they have not fixed that so far and it has been showing from the first ever footage of the garage and how it would look like.
2. the car noises in the background. if you listen to them they are racing car noises and what you have is a stock car...can they at least change the audio in the background according to the class of cars you would be racing against.
3. the mechanics keep on going around the car touching it and caressing it. now i would understand if it was a stock car then the mechanincs can not do anything to the car other than that. but we have seen the garage with a racing car in it and the same thing is going on with the mechanics. could they at least show an animation of the machanincs fiddling with the moddified parts that you have installed on the car for a change of visualls at least.
4.now i know this is not the finnished game and there is still some work to be done on the game. but at least show us skid marks and a different tire squealing audio other than that horrid stuff they have in previous GTs.
5. which brings us to one of the things that i really hate about GT series the engine noises. when will they ever get it right!!! i have yet to see a game that simulates engine noises in a good manner, there is no game out there that can do that properly and the gt series are the worse at it. i hate to say it but forza have a slightlyt better car audio quality eventhough it's still crap.....
6.and the tire smoke..what's up with that!!!it looks like a stonner holding in the smoke and barely letting out !!!!
these are few things that i dislike so far about gt5, and i know that these are not arepresentation of the finished game. but i can not still shake of the feeling that polyphony will end up not listening to these kind of complaints and addresing them as usuall. and yes i do e-mail them these complaints every time a gt game is coming out!
hey they call it a driving simulation, at least thta's what they claim!!!

Are you kidding? Half of what you posted is cosmetic stuff, which has nothing to do with driving simulation. It's a demo, it's not GT5. Get over it.

Are you kidding? Half of what you posted is cosmetic stuff, which has nothing to do with driving simulation. It's a demo, it's not GT5. Get over it.

Yeah, really. for all i care they could do away with all that eye candy from the garage and just concentrate on areas of the game that are actually playable IMO.

Take notice in something though, this is the first game that attempts to make a realistic pit crew and they've done it so well, that for the first time we're hearing complains that maybe the pit crew shouldn't be slacking off!

Hats of to PD on this one, they did it so well we're now hearing for the first time a new genere of complaints. =D

Seriously though, compare this pit crew to any other in any other game, and it's just not even on the same level.

PD's attempt to visual fidelity is unmatched by any other game in attention to detail.
Wish i could say the same for physics and the game would be perfect.

It's a 700mb demo of a prologue, it's free, and it will be removed from the PD site when GT5P is released in about 3 weeks. Then we are all going to forget it exists, because there will be so much more available. IMHO you are off your rocker, but you are not alone.

While I agree to lynk, kamus, superwally, and anyone who would say they are just cosmetic stuff, and that it's only a demo of what really is just a BIG-DEMO, I would say add something though. It's cosmetic...REVERSE LIGHTS. How hard is it for them to add lights!?

I'm about tired of these posts and threads about how you don't like these demos. My gosh, GT5:P Demo is a "demo of a demo." Take is as that and nothing more. I've never seen so many complainers in my life. You people sound more like Forza fanboys critiquing this game than Gran Turismo fans. Take it for what it is, or give your PS3 to someone more appreciative.

I'm about tired of these posts and threads about how you don't like these demos. My gosh, GT5:P Demo is a "demo of a demo." Take is as that and nothing more. I've never seen so many complainers in my life. You people sound more like Forza fanboys critiquing this game than Gran Turismo fans. Take it for what it is, or give your PS3 to someone more appreciative.

Hey, there aren't THAT many complainers...just that the first one had a lot of complains. I just had one problem the reverse lights, don't have to so negative about some criticism.

I have to agree with most of these points, but tbh they are low down on the PD fix list for me. I don't think any of these things could ruin the driving experieance in anyway, so they are just niggles.

look, games are always gonna have these visual problems, we have to acknowledge that. GT-p is just a demo, and for a demo i think they have delivered. i see what you\re talking about. sure these little things could be annoying, but do you actually think of them when you're driving?? the core game is looking very good, the driving ( i think) is shaping up very steadily. there's still a lot of work to do until GT5 will ship, but i'm sure the main gameplay mechanics will deliver. so lets all chill and enjoy our very little slice of GT heaven :)

i would like to start by saying if this thread needs to be deleted, then be it. but i wanted to share some of the things that i dislike about the quality issues, though they are minor, in GT5 so far.
1. the first nagging issue that i have and i keep on remarking on it is in the garage while the car is being prepped to race as the camera pans from the right to the left of the car from the front, have a look at the mechanic on the left and how his knee always goes through the ground.....they have not fixed that so far and it has been showing from the first ever footage of the garage and how it would look like.
2. the car noises in the background. if you listen to them they are racing car noises and what you have is a stock car...can they at least change the audio in the background according to the class of cars you would be racing against.
3. the mechanics keep on going around the car touching it and caressing it. now i would understand if it was a stock car then the mechanincs can not do anything to the car other than that. but we have seen the garage with a racing car in it and the same thing is going on with the mechanics. could they at least show an animation of the machanincs fiddling with the moddified parts that you have installed on the car for a change of visualls at least.
4.now i know this is not the finnished game and there is still some work to be done on the game. but at least show us skid marks and a different tire squealing audio other than that horrid stuff they have in previous GTs.
5. which brings us to one of the things that i really hate about GT series the engine noises. when will they ever get it right!!! i have yet to see a game that simulates engine noises in a good manner, there is no game out there that can do that properly and the gt series are the worse at it. i hate to say it but forza have a slightlyt better car audio quality eventhough it's still crap.....
6.and the tire smoke..what's up with that!!!it looks like a stonner holding in the smoke and barely letting out !!!!
these are few things that i dislike so far about gt5, and i know that these are not arepresentation of the finished game. but i can not still shake of the feeling that polyphony will end up not listening to these kind of complaints and addresing them as usuall. and yes i do e-mail them these complaints every time a gt game is coming out!
hey they call it a driving simulation, at least thta's what they claim!!!
Good Grief. You absolutely have no faith if you honestly feel that this demo which isn't even a representaive of what the final product will look like, makes you feel that PD won't listen. Most of the things your complaining about are small details that I sure don't hear anyone else complaining about. Seriously, do you not think they can't see that?

RallyF1, do you also have a habit of eating flour, water and pigs still alive, and then complaining it tastes a lot worse than the Big Mac? Those ones are turned into the bread and pork, which will then be turned into the hamburger. GT5P demo works the same way.

I posted the following in the "How does the GT5P Demo look on your TV?" (AKA the "I have GT5P image quality issues!" thread, AKA the "GT5:P Looks Horrible!" thread, AKA another Flame Baiting thread), but it seems it probably belongs here:

Digital Nitrate, thanks.

After reading the thread and doing some research, I'm still left with the question: How will GT5D/GT5P/GT5 look on my Panasonic PT-47WX42 rear-projection HDTV, or a similar model that displays in 480p/1080i, no 720/1080p? Will I be back to 480p, or is there something else I can do?
Set your PS3 to output in 1080i and use component cables, and you'll have an ideal set-up for your specific display for use with the PS3. 👍

GT4 and broadcast HD looks spectacular on this set, with a bit of motion drag that I think is typical of 1080i displays. Still images are knockout, brilliant.
Especially that black level and superb color accuracy. Just be sure to make sure you keep an eye on your TV's convergence. If you start to see blue or red, or green edges on some of the fine detail in the images, that's a sign your tubes need to be re-aligned... which many RPTV CRTs have built into their user menus. Otherwise you'll have to do it by going into the service menu.

And a couple more questions that come to mind reading this thread:

Could the download process itself lead to some folks having problems and others not?
No. Without seeing first hand (not still pictures or even video captures... as there are far too many variables that would effect their accuracy) what some people have said they are seeing, I wouldn't want to assume anything. As I mentioned before when I commented on the video quality of the demo, while it is very good, there are certainly many things that can be improved upon. For a very limited early release demo, I am indeed quite impressed though... and it will likely look better in 1080i on your CRT than what it looks like in 720p on some peoples fixed pixel displays.

How much could the relatively small size of the download lead to these issues? Is there something that could have been left out that might assist compatibility with many displays?
Well now you are getting into the territory of how the game was programmed, and considering how far off we are in terms of an official release, and as you pointed out, considering the relatively small size, although it is only just below the average size of most demos, so it isn't that unusually small. However, given all that, I can see how many are speculating that we are not seeing the complete package in terms of video quality.

Also, if you browse the PS3 forums here on GTP, you'll find many people all agreeing that many of the demos are a poor example of the finished product. A great example of this is Formula One: Championship Edition, which unfortunately has a pretty poor demo, but the actual game is excellent.

It can't be said enough really, this is only a very early demo release, and while I understand why it is unavoidable for fans and especially opponents of Gran Turismo to pick the demo apart and make conclusions on what they think GT5:P and even GT5 will be like based on the demo.... However, I personally think you'll get a lot more enjoyment by having fun with the demo, and wait until the full game comes out before making any far gone conclusions.

If you do that I suspect you are really going to have a blast playing GT5:P demo in glorious 1080i on your excellent CRT... and at the end of the day, that's really all that matters... having fun. :)👍

I forgot... don't neglect the audio!!!! GT5:P on a high quality full surround sound system is... spectacular! :drool:

That or use high quality headphones. Preferably with a receiver or audio processor with Dolby Headphone support. I've also heard there are now some pretty good "5.1" headphones that apparently do a very good job recreating directional surround. 👍

Ideally, the way to go is using a receiver or audio processor with HDMI input and set the PS3 to output full 7.1 "lossless" PCM audio! Second best is using the TOS LINK/fiber optic audio cable to the receiver. 👍

Hope you find some of this to be helpful, but as before, the most important thing is to have fun, and I'll be the first to admit it... sometimes spending hours tweaking and maximizing the performance of your audio and video systems isn't fun for a lot of people, and takes time away from watching movies and playing game.

So I totally understand why some folks could care less about "the technology", and just want to play. Believe me, I've felt that way myself on many occasions.... Especially when I have been staring at video test patterns in a dark theater for hours at a time just trying to resolve that one nagging issue.... :scared:

GT5 isn't out yet

If all things are imperfect, are things that do not yet exist "perfect"?

RallyF1, do you also have a habit of eating flour, water and pigs still alive, and then complaining it tastes a lot worse than the Big Mac? Those ones are turned into the bread and pork, which will then be turned into the hamburger. GT5P demo works the same way.

If there's pork in a Big Mac, then I've made dietary mistakes for years: "100% Real Meat", indeed.

i've noticed that the drivers don't actually change gears in the cars. if you drive a z06 and do the outside of the car view and watch as you shift gears. the animation is just the drivers hand going down ontop of the shifter and then he clicks it sortof like the animation when you change gears inside the F2007 f1 car... not a big deal but its odd lol

If all things are imperfect, are things that do not yet exist "perfect"?

Theoretically, yes, i believe so. Ideas are perfect, taking those ideas and sharing it is imperfect (communication-wise, be it visual or oral)

I don't think PD will make the smoke any more visible than is it now as it probably will take away some attractive graphics to the game. Same goes for tire squeal and Engine sound, it may sound more realistic, but not everything realistic is better. it IS a game after all, "fantasy land", think of it that way.

Heres my gripe, and im sure many will disagree but maybe i will learn from this. Is GT really a driving simulator? i played the game through and when i got to a point when i had a little extra cash i bought a Ford Mustang. I drove it around and thought it was nice and then when i decided to turn aids off i was strongly disappointed on professionals mode. What has PD done here? I agree that the car will have wheel spin with out TCS but from a standing start with the minimum amount of throttle it will roast the tires. And then when you are read to slow down the breaks lock up as soon as you apply the breaks. My take on the hole standard/professionals modes was to allow players who like a more arcade feel to play the "Standard" mode and for the sim guys we could have the "professionals" mode but I must be wrong?

And also i havnt investigated it but something i noticed with the F1 2007 is with ABS off the out side tires lock up or at least smoke when breaking hard and turning apposed to the inside front to me this is wrong but what do i know :)

Back