GT Advance Remaster [My Personal Unity Racing Game]

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 84 comments
Alright! The demo is out! Check the OP :)

I actually switched back to Dropbox as the source since GitHub only allows you to upload up to 100MB, and this file is already at 65...

Last edited:
Next build won't be out for a while, but it'll mostly be updates to the car physics. So expect them to feel different from how they are now. I'm also going to throw in another track to test them.

After that, I'll start working on the Oldies and Goodies cars.

I actually switched back to Dropbox as the source since GitHub only allows you to upload up to 100MB, and this file is already at 65...
I just went through that learning curve. It required installing a package from within the Linux Terminal and jumping through several increasingly-picky hoops. As far as I can tell the drag & drop interface has its impractical limits just because.

Next build won't be out for a while, but it'll mostly be updates to the car physics. So expect them to feel different from how they are now. I'm also going to throw in another track to test them.
I've playtested the current build and noticed you're using global coordinates for steering -- I tapped a wall with the truck and it jumped up enough that as I continued to hold the left key, it turned into a truck-tornado. :lol: I also ended up on my roof once and carried on driving. Ah, the fun of playing with physics on the development end. :)

My best lap is 3.0 seconds, driving across the infield to grab the checkpoint on the back straight of the oval.

I do have a bit of code that is supposed to keep the cars planted. It basically adds more gravity strength, but I didn't have it that high. I'll keep toying with it. Or I could add a reset button if you do flip.

As for the shortcut, I could add tire walls in the middle. The IRL track doesn't have anything.

Last edited:
Demo 1.2
What's In It:
  • New Track: Goodwood Circuit (Still need to add walls and lighting, but it's playable)
  • Adjusted Car Physics
  • Cars can now be painted using the default colors Unity provides.
What's Next:
  • Need to add an extra checkpoint to Meridian Speedway to avoid shortcuts
  • The Oldies and Goodies Cars will be added

Last edited:
What could all these cars have in common? Guess we'll have to find out ;)

Audi R8 V10 Plus '14
BMW i8 '18
Dodge Charger R/T '14
Ford Mustang GT '15
Honda Civic Type-R (EK9) '98
Honda NSX '17
Hyundai Genesis Coupe '13
Kia Forte Koup '13
Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 '14
McLaren 650S '15
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX '06
Nissan 350Z '03
Nissan 370Z '12
Nissan GT-R '15
Nissan Silvia (S15) '99
Subaru BRZ '12
Subaru Impreza WRX STi '11
Toyota GR Supra '20
Toyota GT86 '11
Volkswagen Golf GTI '14

An Oldies and Goodies update:

Got the Roadmaster complete. These classics take a while, longer than the usual cars I do. Need to build it up in portions to get the shape as close as possible. The bumpers are the struggle, too...

Also fixed some issues from the previous update. Should have this up sometime next month.

Crap, tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of my project. Can't really think of anything to throw out quick...

Another progress report:

The cars are coming along good. They're almost completely implemented in the game. I'm also looking at a better color customization option, saw a good simple tutorial that I'm going to try out.

Another feature I want to add is possibly a simple interior view. It'll just be a black interior like in the older GT's with the Standard cars, but I think it'll be cool either way.

I know I said this update would be ready by the end of May, but it's taking a bit longer due to my work schedule and that I'm doing Independent Studies over the summer with one of my professors.

I just have the Studebaker left to import. However, Goodwood hasn't been touched in quite a long time. I could still add it, but it won't have most of the walls and lighting implemented. I'm thinking about adding a minor update after uploading this main one to actually make it complete.

My plan is to do a major update, followed by a few minor ones to fix and add small things I didn't have time for.

Next major update will be The Rising Sun, with 5 cars (including the Preview R34) and one track.

OK, I am now finished with Independent Study. Now I can get back to this update!

Because it consists of vintage American cars, I think it would be fitting to release Part 1 on the 4th. Part 2 would probably be released a week or two later.

Oldies and Goodies Part I Now Available!
4 Cars:
  • 1936 Buick Roadmaster
  • 1934 Chrysler Imperial Airflow
  • 1948 Ford F-100
  • 1947 Oldsmobile Special 66 Station Wagon
1 Track:
  • Goodwood Motor Circuit
Features and Updates:
  • Improved Color Customization. You can now adjust RGB, HSB and even paste Hex codes.
  • More Metallic look for cars.
  • New engine sound for I6 cars.
Fixes:
  • Chrysler PT Cruiser wasn't able to turn.
  • There was an invisible wall on Meridian Speedway.
  • There was a shortcut exploit on Meridian Speedway.

Last edited:
Future updates are going to come a bit slower with school starting next month (it is my final semester, so not that big of a deal).

Part 2 of Oldies and Goodies will release eventually. The lighting for Goodwood is done, just need to add the walls. I also added the Studebaker finally.

Might as well spill the beans on what other planned updates are coming (still keeping the long list of cars I posted a secret):

The Rising Sun
  • 5 Cars (Including the preview R34)
    • 1990 Honda NSX
    • 2000 Mazda RX-7 (FD3S)
    • 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    • 1993 Toyota Supra (Mk. IV)
  • 1 Track
    • Tsukuba Circuit

Big Rigs
  • 5 Trucks (Including the preview Anthem)
    • 2011 International ProStar Premium
    • 1961 Jeep FC170
    • 2018 Tesla Semi Day Cab Concept
    • 2018 Volvo VNL 760
  • No Planned Tracks (yet)

Expansion #1
  • More Info Coming Later

Well, they say the third time's the charm. And it seems that's the case for my project.

As much as I want to make my own car game with real tracks, it's starting to get resource heavy. So, with a heavy heart, World Tour has now ended...

But don't worry! As you can tell by the new title of this thread, I'm going to go back to my very first idea and make my own remaster for the GT Advance series!

It's going to take a while, but I'll hopefully get something working. I'd like to think of World Tour as a test run to see what I can do with Unity. So, I'll take what I learned there and implement it into this new project!

I've been quiet for a while, so I'll tell you all what is in the works:

Gameplay
  • There will be a Time Trial and Quick Race mode with varying difficulties. Completing one will reward you with a new car.
  • Each track will have changeable time of day and seasonal tilt, so you can basically race in any day and time of the year.
  • Don't think there will be a career mode, so that's why you can unlock cars in Time Trials and Quick Races.
  • Maybe Weekly Challenges for exclusive content...
Cars
  • Each car will be divided into their own Class (D, C, B and A with more planned).
  • Most cars will also have access to different Tune stages (Stock, 1, 2 and 3). These also reflect the difficulty in Quick Race.
  • Some cars can also have visual Tuner kits (might effect performance).
  • Detailed Color Customization (Same as it was in Word Tour).
Now that I am a college grad, I can have more time to start working on this. I should have something up by next month.

Last edited:
Well, a January update never happened :P

However, I am getting close to a test build. It still has all the cars from World Tour (because I basically reused it to save work), but I will start looking to add in the GTA cars.

Version 1.0t:
  • 5 Tracks (1 from each category)
    • Hornet, Nightwalk, Main Street, Caution and Zero
  • All cars from previous game plus an extra that you guys might like ;)
  • Only Time Trial mode at the moment

Last edited:
Not very good with making teasers, but I'm sure you all will figure it out:
bandicam 2022-04-23 17-14-16-927.jpg

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of my project! It's been through many changes and challenges, but I'm really happy with the state it is in now :)

Was hoping to release a build today, but it's not quite done yet. Currently, only Hornet and Main Street are done and detailed with scenery. I have ideas for how the others will look, so might get something in later this weekend.

And yes, the extra car is indeed the Sony Vision S-01! I actually like using it for testing because of how good I made it drive.

Here are the other features and fixes/tweaks that should be coming in the build:
  • Menu and Track Music from GT Advance 3 - ✅
  • The color material for cars are less shiny - ✅
  • The engine sound for the R34 is more quiet - ✅
  • Using the Mack Anthem will now have a farther camera view - ✅
  • New skyboxes - ✅

Last edited:
Things are starting to take shape! I want to take my time to make sure everything is working as intended. Currently re-tweaking some of the physics of cars (mainly the first few I added to WT) to make them feel better and doing some behind-the-scene clean-up. I also decided to add in the Practice Course for fun. I'll keep you all informed on when I'm going to release a build.

Yes, it's been a year since a progress report. Unfortunate news, I tried to update the project to the latest Unity build, but it broke everything...

Not all is lost, I can at least salvage the code and objects and not start completely from scratch.

I'll hopefully get a small demo out with one car and track to test soon.

A Christmas Miracle! I (somehow) managed to fix everything! Now to buckle down and finally get a build out. Might put my project on itch.io

Edit:
Just did some cleanup and tweaks and finally added a feature I've worked hard to pull off: working taillights!

Going to do more stuff and then hopefully have something by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Well, a release didn't happen since I am a bit under the weather. Once I get over this, I will release the build with a couple new cars to make it up.

Back