GT Career Mode Challenge, Presented by Racers Reunited - Round 9; Nov 24 @ 2000UTC

• Thread starter Famine
  • 473 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Welcome to the GT Career Mode Challenge, Presented by Racers Reunited.

The principle is pretty basic: drivers will start off slow and end up fast in a series of races spread across 12 weeks, intended to mimic a career mode from a Gran Turismo game. You'll kick off in karts, and end up in prototypes, with points for each weekly event all counting towards your overall career.

A twist? Why yes, of course there is. The whole event will be managed by a sentient Excel spreadsheet called Kerfuffle. It's a thing I invented for Gran Turismo LANs, which creates a Shuffle-like effect by assigning faster cars to slower drivers on a race by race basis (while also keeping championship positions in mind). Recently it's been adapted to manage weight and power handicaps, and it will assign new handicap values after each race in order to attempt to close the field up - and it does seem to have a life of its own now.

Each week will count as its own event, with a winner (and a physical prize) for each category. Kerfuffle will also keep an eye on the overall championship, and there's a special* mystery trophy for the person who takes the overall title of GT Career Mode Challenge Champion.

Given that some people dislike some classes (I hate karts, and we're starting off in them) and it may not prove possible for everyone to make every week, the overall championship will make use of the dropped rounds rule. There are 44 races planned, but only your best 33 of them (75%) will count towards the title - which means, depending on the week, you could miss two or three rounds and still be in the hunt. Beware of missing the Grand Final though, which won't necessarily decide the championship's destination, but will be 2.5x points.

At present, the approximate schedule is thus:
Week 1 - September 22 - Karts (5 races); GT Shifter Kart
Week 2 - September 29 - Lightweight K Car Cup (4 races); N100 Car List
Week 3 - October 6 - Gi-not-ta Juniors (4 races); Toyota S-FR '15
Week 4 - October 13 - Clubman Cup (4 races); Renault Sport Clio V6 '00
Week 5 - October 20 - Max 5 Racing Challenge (4/5 races); Roadster TC
Week 6 - October 27 - TVR Tuscan Challenge (4/5 races); TVR Tuscan Speed Six '00
Week 7 - November 3 - WTCC (4/5 races); Gr.4
Week 8 - November 10 - Japan/US/UK (3 races); N600
Week 9 - November 17 - Formula E (3 races); Porsche Taycan/Tesla Model S
Week 10 - November 24 - IndyCar (3 races); F1500
Week 11 - December 1 - World GT Challenge (3 races); Gr.3
Week 12 - December 8 - Grand Final (1 race); Gr.1

The races will take place at 2000 UK time (currently UTC+1, changes for Week 7 to UTC) on each Tuesday evening. There'll be an assembly period of around 20 minutes, then any qualifying session as necessary, and then the racing. We can, of course, accommodate latecomers, but they will miss any race that is already underway and start the next from the back of the grid. Finish time should be 2200 UK time, or thereabouts.

You'll only be required to do four things each race:
* Pick a car from the list (with base handicap applied)
* Apply any further handicap as directed by Kerfuffle through me - this will change EVERY race
* Race it
* Don't be a dick

I could write a long, proscriptive list of how not to be a dick, but I think we all know. If you wouldn't be happy racing you in the move you just did, you're being a dick. Defending is fine, changing lines or weaving down the straight is not, and a pass that needs a contact to work is being a dick. Nobody needs reminding of this, and if you do this isn't for you.

You may of course livery your cars up however you wish. I'll post a full list of cars and handicaps, and tracks, the week before each event.

Points will depend on the number of participants. If we get 12 people, the points will be a simple 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 0 (for the Grand Final that'll become 30, 25, 20, 18, 15, 13, 10, 8, 5, 3, 1, 0). If it's 16 I'll scale it - but it'll be set before the racing starts.

As this is technically a Racers Reunited event, RR veterans have first preference on signing up, so we do already have a reasonable number of participants... and one interesting name on the list :D Maximum number of sign ups is, of course, 16.

Any questions? No? Sign up then.

Confirmed entries and current handicap:
#77 @buybon355 - 0/0
#27 @daan - 0/0
#46 @Drex124 - 0/0
#6 @Famine - 0/0
#11 @homeforsummer - 0/0
#? @IfAndOr - 0/0
#21 @jammy21 - 0/0
#8 @JockeP22 - 0/0
#7 @Jordan - 0/0
#42 @Lazybike - 0/0
#64 - @O604 - 0/0
#61 @Pigems - 0/0
#32 @RACECAR - 0/0
#? @silverman_GT - 0/0
#88 @Sutsagrd - 0/0

Interested entries awaiting confirmation:
@richroo
@Zolon32
#43 @Venari

*Truly crap

Last edited:
I'll give it a go but I don't know if my Internet is good enough. I've been very laggy in the 27racers series and I've given that up because of the lag.

What’s does 2000 UTC convert to in Atlantic time? This sounds like fun, I’d like to enter if I can. :)

What’s does 2000 UTC convert to in Atlantic time? This sounds like fun, I’d like to enter if I can. :)
It's -3, so 1700 - though the first races are at 1900 UTC, because the UK is currently in British Summer Time at UTC +1. This post is at 12.43 BST, which is 11.43 UTC, which should be 08.43 in Atlantic time.

It's -3, so 1700 - though the first races are at 1900 UTC, because the UK is currently in British Summer Time at UTC +1. This post is at 12.43 BST, which is 11.43 UTC, which should be 08.43 in Atlantic time.

TYVM. :cheers: It is current 8:53am here. So if it’s at 5pm start on Tuesdays, I can make that, but I wouldn’t be able to make a 4pm start, I don’t get off work until 4 during the week. :)

TYVM. :cheers: It is current 8:53am here. So if it’s at 5pm start on Tuesdays, I can make that, but I wouldn’t be able to make a 4pm start, I don’t get off work until 4 during the week. :)
We won't start the racing until xx.30 - there's basically a 30-minute assembly period, which might also include 10 minutes of qualifying. Can you get from work to home in that half hour?

We won't start the racing until xx.30 - there's basically a 30-minute assembly period, which might also include 10 minutes of qualifying. Can you get from work to home in that half hour?

Cool, that’s sounds doable then. :) Most day’s I can, it all depends where my job site happens to be at that week. 9 days out of 10, I’m within 20 min of home though, if not, I’ll leave a bit early that day. :lol: I would like to sign up if there is a spot open, this sounds like fun. :)

Cool, that’s sounds doable then. :) Most day’s I can, it all depends where my job site happens to be at that week. 9 days out of 10, I’m within 20 min of home though, if not, I’ll leave a bit early that day. :lol: I would like to sign up if there is a spot open, this sounds like fun. :)
Sure thing :D

Should be a good test of the Kerfuffle's ability to balance with you and @homeforsummer in the mix!

I’m really interested to see how Kerfuffle does as well, it sounds like it’s gonna make for some really good/close racing. :)
It usually takes 4-5 races from an equalised start to get its eye in, and then it works usually rather nicely :lol:

What car number would you like?

I am only DR B. But I'm really good at getting out of the way. :D

If there's a spot, please sign me up as a reserve (#64). I'll be more than willing to give up the spot to better drivers should it fill up.

I've still got the problem of not having GTS currently installed - which makes the driving tricky! Since the 22nd is rapidly approaching it's probably best if you stick me on the reserve list for the time being.

I'll give @Zolon32 a poke over on PSN. I'm sure he'd be interested.

I would like to join!

How long are the races?
They'll be around 10 minutes each for the early ones, and an hour for the final endurance race. The Gr.3/Indy races will be around 20-25 minutes each. Basically enough racing to occupy us for 90 minutes with mucking around changing power/weight handicaps between races.

Everyone who's registered so far will need to send me a Friend Request to GTPEDIA, if you haven't already.

@buybon355 - confirmed
@daan
#46 @Drex124 - confirmed
#6 @Famine - confirmed
@homeforsummer
@IfAndOr - reserve
#21 @jammy21
#7 @Jordan - confirmed
#42 @Lazybike - confirmed
#64 - @O604 - confirmed
#61 @Pigems - confirmed
@richroo
@silverman_GT - confirmed
@Sutsagrd
@Zolon32
#43 @Venari
Also get yourself a max-tuned Mach Forty for the two-lap after-party each week :D

They'll be around 10 minutes each for the early ones, and an hour for the final endurance race. The Gr.3/Indy races will be around 20-25 minutes each. Basically enough racing to occupy us for 90 minutes with mucking around changing power/weight handicaps between races.

Everyone who's registered so far will need to send me a Friend Request to GTPEDIA, if you haven't already.

Also get yourself a max-tuned Mach Forty for the two-lap after-party each week :D

Done and done. 👍

Edit: Will the races be with or without tuning?

Kinda interested in this, just would need to convert the time to my region to make sure I don't have it run into an appointment I have coming up.

Kinda interested in this, just would need to convert the time to my region to make sure I don't have it run into an appointment I have coming up.
Until our clocks go back (October 25), the race assembly will be at 1900 UTC - so weeks 1-5. After that they will be at 2000 UTC.

I've put the first round behind this link, so you can convert to wherever you are. If you're in, pick a number and send a FR :D

Hi guys,
@Famine Is there a spot left on the grid?
I would do the full schedule if that is the case.
There's always a spot for an RR member :D Just pick a number and send me an FR if you haven't already.

Anyway, 24hr klaxon! Racing starts a day from now (give or take... two and a half hours), with Round 1: Karting Challenge

Karting Challenge
Car: Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125 Shifter
Car Handicap: 100% Power, 100% Weight
Tyres: Sports Soft
Circuits
Race 1: Kyoto Driving Park Miyabi (20 laps)
Race 2: Tsukuba Circuit (15 laps)
Race 3: Sardegna - Road Track C (14 laps)
Race 4: BB Raceway (25 laps)*
Race 5: Red Bull Ring - Short Track (15 laps)

Confirmed entries and current handicap:
#77 @buybon355 - 0/0
#27 @daan - 0/0
#46 @Drex124 - 0/0
#6 @Famine - 0/0
#11 @homeforsummer - 0/0
#28 @IfAndOr - 0/0
#21 @jammy21 - 0/0
#8 @JockeP22 - 0/0
#7 @Jordan - 0/0
#42 @Lazybike - 0/0
#64 @O604 - 0/0
#61 @Pigems - 0/0
#32 @RACECAR - 0/0
#13 @richroo
#16 @silverman_GT - 0/0
#88 @Sutsagrd - 0/0

Reservists
@Zolon32
#43 @Venari

This first week will be a little different from subsequent weeks; the kart has no way to adjust power/weight for the handicap process, so we'll just race everything one after the other. Consider it a BOP test for the drivers :D

In future rounds you'll start off with your own handicap figures which you apply on top of whatever the vehicle handicap is. If your handicap is +1/-1 (power, weight) and the car is 100/100 (power, weight), you'll race at 101/99 (power, weight). Then after each race your handicap will be adjusted, so you'll need to pay very close attention to race chat or be in the race voice party to find out your new handicap, race by race.

* Don't ask; that's what the sheet threw up. I guess it figured Maggiore/Suzuka East were overplayed for karts.

Last edited:
Back