GT on High Octane! READ!!

• Thread starter Nabz
  • 28 comments
How to improve the Gran Turismo series

By: Nabil Abdool
email me at: nabz25@hotmail.com

The Gran Turismo collection has been seen as the No. 1 racing title since GT 1 hit the shelves. Amazing audiences with its graphics and realism, GT 1 set the standards. GT2 did a good job of re-inventing the original but lacked the refinement. A simple graphicall boost morphed GT2 into GT 2000 on the PS2.

Now as many of us sit at home with GT3 at 100%, we feel empty, and in a way dissappointed with the game. Lets not deny that it is a real looker, very realistic and has set new heights for itself and competitors. BUT, with only 150 cars, a handful of pre-used tracks with only 3-4 new ones, same licenses and concept! The game feels like Gran Turismo 1! ,but lets not get carried away with GT3, lets look to the future and see for 'possible' improvements to give the series a new look, feel, yes a 'make-over'...

"Gentlemen, Start your imagination"

Petrol/gas/juice...

What is a simulator without the main ingredient? GT needs Gas! Players must buy gas at the begining of the game so that they can race, "like" 30 credits for a full tank. If a player can prove himself to sponsors with his driving, then they can sponsor him with fuel as long as he gives results. Players must be able to choose which sponsor to take, eg: Shell, BP, Havoline... each come with ads and disads and varieties eg: Racing, Normal etc. The sponsors sticker will appear on the car wherever you choose. A visible on-screen gas meter should appear when racing, car consumption can be regulated by setting the onboard computer for maximum or minimum consumption.

Tyres

This can also be improved, same with fuel, players must buy tyres as they wear out, until a sponsor decides to support you with their product. Severall companies can approach you and you can choose what you want, eg: Michelin, Toyo, Dunlop, Goodyear, Bridestone etc. Each comes with ads and disads ( Different tracks and temperatures suit different tyres). Tyres can blow-out if they are worn, players can choose which tyre/s to change when in the pit, Front or Rear. Locking up will ruin them and they can over heat.

Oil

Besides just being able to change it, different varieties can be available. Sponsors can also help you out with this and pay for it. If the engine runs too hard and long with no change the engine will sieze or be damaged.

Damage

This would be a welcomed addition to GT. Not the pathetic damage that GT2 had, but rather: Lights can be broken, front and rear can be dented, sides can be scraped. Damage can be rather simple, not as drastic as Toca, but should have an effect. All the damage can be repaired at races by maybe using the Destruction Derby type repairs where the car comes in and while all the other work is in progress you quickly select the side thats damaged and repeatedly smack the buttons quickly so that the damage is repaired. The longer you take, the longer the pitstop, if you leave your car with the damage and come home with it, you can give the car in for a service, this is a reconditioning or repair shop where bodywork and mechanical damage can be repaired at a cost though.

Mechanical damage

Apart from bodywork damage, mechanical damage refers to the components of the car, Engine, clutch, driveshaft and even exhausts. All these parts can take so much punishment during a race, if the parts are taken care of no repairs will be needed. However, if you are a Colin McRae driver then you will be a regular at the repair shop. Driving the car hard with no oil will result in a seized engine, or if the gearbox is really put to the test, it will play maths games with you, eg: 1-3-2-5-2-6 screwing up the car and a possible win.

During/At the race, players can change the oil, petrol and tyres with a simple menu system. While touring to your garage the L1,L2,R1 and R2 buttons represent the tyres, by continously pressing you can choose the compound on each tyre. With the fuel, x,square, trianle and o buttons represent quarter, half, three quarters or a full tank, you choose. Oil can be replenished with the up button. All this would vary your pit stop times. If you dont have sponsors, all of the above will automatically be charged to your account. (It should be relatively cheap).

Odds and Ends

These factors can really improve the gameplay and the longevity of the series. Here are some other facts that I have thought up over the past couple of days:

A track editor! Wow! creating you own tracks and championships will make this game unstoppable! Imaginations can run wild! With proper planning and dedication, all this can be done easily with no problems. Environments can be created and stored on the memory card or on the new HD and can be sent to friends via the new modem. (When they come out- otherwise through i-link). Imagine making a track with Eau Rouge, and other famous corners from all over, and combining it all into one track!

Mags/Rims/Alloys can all be designed by you if possible! Editing an OZ and making it into different colours, sizes etc. Obviously there will have to be rules and restrictions but this can really help polish off your car. GT needs to add a whole new range of alloys and maybe some options eg: deep-dish, chromed, gold dusted etc. Do you remember the old BTCC cars that had special rims at the back and different ones in the front? Maybe that can be an option, two different types of alloys with a rear/front or side/side split? Maybe...

Why doesnt GT contain tracks like, Donington, Suzuka, Monza, Knock Hill, Silverstone....?If licensing them is difficult, then why dont they make their own versions?

4 player split screen mode! Can we race againts friends in their Scoobies and Skylines on one machine and one big T.V? I dont want to link up four T.V's and Playstations! Cmon!

"Home" can have more options, eg: Skid pan, Dyno tuning centre, a photo album (Discussed later) and a proper test track where car settings can be done while you test, *Cough V-Rally 2*

RALLY NEEDS ATTENTION!! OR SCRAP IT!!
There should be championships! Like Colin, Sweden, Finland, Italy...
Each with linear tracks/routes. Damage, Tyres, T-juctions, various gravels, trees and most of all speed!

Wash me
I hate racing 2 Hour endurance races and when I look at my car it still looks brand new! Not that is a bad thing, but atleast can we have dust, mud and grime on the bodywork, alloys and behind the wheel arches? Rally really needs to be more gruesome!

Stick with it
What would GT fans Really want to see?! A Sticker editor! Why not take your Pug or Skyline into the editor, design some stickers and place them onto your car! Stripes, chequered flagging and stickers above the windscreen with your Name, or team Name or on the headlights. Make your car look original! Only one of a Kind!

Graphical improvements!
Flames, smoke (Siezed engine), and little heat waves can all come from the exhaust, showing what a healthy car you got! Helicopters flying around maybe, Tyre markings!, sparks on collisions. Cmon, Polyphony, you need to implement these ideas! How about giving me a production and development job? (nabz25@hotmail.com :> )

Artificial Intelligence
Are those computer controlled cars really the best AI? No! When a player enters a race, the computer must look at all the specs on your car and try to match up something really good! If you have a racing clutch, slick tyres, weight reduction and a computer, than the other cars should try to match your specs to give tougher competition. Have you seen the A.I in Toca World Touring Cars? Their the cars weave, defend their lines and even try daring manouvres to pass you, they are not Kamakazi drivers like in GT where you get hit from every angle! Cmon! You are on the inside of the guy and he continues to turn into you! Frustrating! I want to see clever oponents, what makes it worse is that Toca has 12 cars and Gt has only 6, the guys in Toca outshine GT drivers anyday!

Classic racing
Like GT2, special races should be held for special cars. How about a 2.0L Normally Aspirated cars? ,V8's? Super Production Classes? I dont really like the approach Gt3 took when they decided that if you are a professional driver you must do 10 laps! I love racing in professional but what if only for 3 laps?

Drag Racing
Even though I'm not American, drag racing will be superb! Even in two player. The computer can set up a championship with different classes and specs and have drags, even 6 cars dragging at the same time in a 1000m dash. This is where the fuel, oil, tyres (and the clutch system discussed later) will all come in handy.

Track stuff- can tracks have a dirty line where dirt and stones can accumulate? If you go over it you can spin or pick up a puncture.

Computer
Getting inside the mind of your car! Tuning it at home, setting the computer up for optimum performance, and even when you on track you can see your tyre temp, oil temp/level, fuel consumtion. With this handy, a proper race can be planned out, I want to feel like Ross Brawn, even if its not real. If the race is endurance, than pitstop windows can be discussed. What is racing without a bit of strategy?

Please take that 'average race wins' away! Even though I never loose a race, im sure many of you agree that sometimes finishing second in a race or even last just adds to the excitement of the championship, having to maintain it at 100 percent reduces the fun factors as I sometimes help cars that are loosing come 1st , but then I have to reload because of that darn 'average win ratio'

If you are a great racer, and sponsors are confident, the computer should send you an invite to race in a once off championship, this could bring with it great benefits, like new sponsors, and money!

Population
There are only six cars that can race at once, so can those 5 extra drivers maybe be given a name? Make the game more personal! The extra drivers will have names, age, Nationality, No. of wins, etc. This will make it all the more interesting because you all start learning to race at the sametime therefore transforming into real rivals as the game progresses. Pictures of the drivers with the stats should be included.

Clutch
An idea that will help the player get really involved in the game will be the introduction of a clutch, I once saw this on an old game but it can be improved upon. When holding the gear-shift button (up or down) the clutch is held in and there is no drive, however when the button is released the car shifts (up or down) and moves on. The quicker a player can shift gears will result in a better performance in races and 0-400/0-1000m dashes. Users have to stop giving gas while changing, and it is possible to blip the throttle when going into corners like real drivers do.

This is a STYLING idea!
Instead of a tuning shop with the same old parts, why cant the tuning shop be split up into various famous tuning and styling shops? Eg:
Ive got a 3-series BMW. I take it to the tuning shop. In the shop it asks me which country do I want my car to be tuned by. I choose Germany. In Germany there is Zender, Schnitzer etc. Now I want to buy a Schnitzer front spoiler and a Zender wing. I also want engine components from Schnitzer but certain suspension settings from Zender. What Im trying to say is that in order to have an original fast car, the player has the choice of clutches, drivshafts, tuning and styling. In these styling shops door mirrors, side skirts, wings, lights etc, can come from various places. Another example would be:
Ive got a Subaru. Go to the tuning shop. Choose country, Japan, England etc. I choose England. In England there are various tuning companies, I choose Prodrive. I buy my stuff and fit it, but I want an HKS exhaust and filters. So I go to Japan and get it fitted by HKS. Now my car is a visual, audible space rocket! Many tuning copanies can be included even if they only make exhausts or even wings.

I cant see!
Another thing that bothers me is that Gran Turismo has real cars right? so why dont these cars have other real apects like, fog lights and high beams (Brights) and indicators that can all be interacted with? When you are reversing, where are the reverse lights? Some of the cars in GT3 dont even have rear lights that go on at night! (Lotus and Vauxhaul) It would be nice to flash the guy ahead of you when hes being dirty and he can put on his hazards to apologise, otherwise kick his ass! Little flaws like these do question the phrase " The real driving simulator".

Flash!
A special option that allows users to take pictures of the action during a replay or maybe the race, the pics can be stored at home and it will use a small percentage of the memory card. The pictures can be edited, if only a small portion is needed, then the rest is deleted saving space.

Back to the weather
Why is every track stuck in time? Races can start at Dusk and end well into the night, from cold morning to scorching midday and from dawn till dusk. I love the wet track but would like to see every track with a wet race. Another thing is can we actually see the rainfall? how about heavy storm clouds brewing? Fog? If a PS one game can do all of this with 16 cars on the track then what is the PS2's excuse with only six cars?

A point of view
A change in the way we see things in Gran Turismo will be great! Some of the replay views in GT3 are so amazing! Why cant we choose these views while racing? Views such as: On the bonnet and on the roof.

Free Parking!
GT3 has so many vacant parking bays. What ever happened to the used car lott? and the option to do racing modifications? Polyphony need to add used cars to all car companies!!!! What ever happened to the Golf 4 GTI, standard Ford Focus, The Ford Puma? Those are just examples. Why cant we get the old BMW E30, E36, all the M3's, M5's, Z3's, BMW is one of the great car manufacturers with a fantastic motor racing history! Where is the new Civic Type R? If they got the RX-8 then wheres the Nissan R35 Prototype? Cars make the game, keep including old Japanese cars with no power and GT is soon to loose all sales!

Conclusion
I hope many of these ideas are agreed upon by GT Fans, however not all have to be included, but it would make the series feel rejuvinated and value for money. I have not touched every aspect so far! There is a lot more to come! Lets hope Sony boys will read this and take it into consideration. I am not trying to change the basics of the game, as that is important to its originality. Gran Turismo is untouchable, but as competitors get into the slipstream of things, GT will have to pull out something special, I hope most of the above ideas will be incorparated into the next title. Long Live Gran Turismo!

Thats all I have to say today, email me if you have an idea that is related to the Gran Turismo format and could benefit other GT Fans. There was a competition held in South Africa a few months back (for the GT3 PS2) in colabaration with Incredible Connection. If the other 4 winners can please contact me through email as I would like to compare times.

Nabil Abdool
Nabz25@hotmail.com

Well, if this isn't the best planned, most straightforward suggestion for the GT series, I don't know what is! I certainly agree with every point you have made! :thumbsup:

DANG! WELCOME TO GTPLANET! I have never seen a person write that much stuff for his FIRST post! You have my FULL respect and likeing as of right now. Your gonna love this site. :D

Lots of great ideas, GT really does need propper pit stops for fuel and tires. A real pit crew scurrying aroud the car would add a real touch. F1 fans will know what I am talking about. New to the PS2 I really enjoy it now that I am retirede, yes I'm 51 years old.
Biggy

Yes Nitro would be fun but GT is based on real world racing and maybe we should leave it to the more arcadish approach of other fun games IE Twisred Metal Black

Originally posted by biggy
Yes Nitro would be fun but GT is based on real world racing and maybe we should leave it to the more arcadish approach of other fun games IE Twisred Metal Black
I agree. Welcome to GTPlanet, biggy! :)

Biggy and Jordan, why not stick a way-out, wacky and wierd option on GT4? You know, where you can do anything you want?
By the way, Biggy, for someone who is 51, you can't spell very well (no offence intended) I'm 14, nearly 15 and I can pick out your misspelled words!

Fuel would be a great addition, especially if it affected the vehicle's weight - one thing I'd love would be fuel strategy.

Combined with tyre strategy, it would be awesome - I've used tyre strategy to come up with some very unlikely winners in the Enduros in GT2.

51, playing GT3 and posting to GTPlanet?

Nice work, Biggy. If I'm retired, playing whatever the equivalent is in 20 years time and fooling around on the web talking about it, I'd think I had a pretty good handle on things.

Originally posted by Jazza
Biggy and Jordan, why not stick a way-out, wacky and wierd option on GT4? You know, where you can do anything you want?
By the way, Biggy, for someone who is 51, you can't spell very well (no offence intended) I'm 14, nearly 15 and I can pick out your misspelled words!

Originally posted by Nabz
How to improve the Gran Turismo series

By: Nabil Abdool
email me at: nabz25@hotmail.com

The Gran Turismo collection has been seen as the No. 1 racing title since GT 1 hit the shelves. Amazing audiences with its graphics and realism, GT 1 set the ..................

;) Well said and thought out! I have to totally agree with every statement! You have managed to sum up what people have spent hundreds of posts trying to accomplish!

Welcome to GTPlanet.net and I look forward to seeing you around.

~later~

My 2-cents.... so as not to scare the avarage player of the GT series, I would like to see car damage intoduced as a advanced "option". Perhaps after you beat the game the first time around. It's a great idea for racers like myself and others, but It would discourage others too much I'm afraid if it were built into it from the start.

Hell, that's the perfect game you just described!

I don't really think it should all be in GT4, but possibly a second range of GT's. For example, GT4 would be similar to GT1, 2 and 3, but a new range called something like GTS (Gran Turismo Simulation) could include all these new ultra-realistic options, so people who wanted a "Real Driving Simulator" could buy GTS, and people who wanted to have a blast around Laguna Seca in a 700hp Camaro without having to worry about oil pressure could buy GT.

I certainly agree bodykits and official tuners should be in GT4, but special editions of cars should be in, like my dad's 25th anniversary Celica. There should also be older cars, and cars which aren't top of the range, like a Ford Mondeo 1.8 instead of just a 2.5.

Engine sounds is another feature to be improved, as on GT3 everything with a V8, when fully tuned, sounds the same!
Engine swaps could be a possibility, such as getting a Honda CRX and purchasing a Civic Type-R engine for it. This sort of thing actually works on some cars, like the VW Golf V6 fits on the Polo 1.4 engine mounts.
When cars are fully tuned, a new clutch should be needed otherwise the old one should break with the power.

Hey, include only half of the suggestions made and it would still be near-perfect!:D

Hey, I like the gas idea. I mean, you can not race without gas right?
Also, when you pit they should change your oil too right? YES!
I like the sponsor idea a bunch. Having stickers on your car and everything sounds real cool. I like your ideas. Hopefully one of the creators of GT will look at this and it will spark some idseas into their heads. :)

Sorry about my spelling Jazza, I use the hunt and peck method to type so I have to look at the keyboard and not the screen. The important thing at you age is to learn and if it is from my mistakes thats ok. Hope you enjoy GT3 half as much as I do. Just finnished all the enduro races and have gold in all.

Here's MY list of things I want in GT4 :D
  • Custom body kits, like in Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero, and it would be even cooler if they were also brand name. I also want the body kits you choose to affect downforce and weight, same with wheels.
  • Of course, like evryone I want Ferrari and Porsche in 4 also
  • More cars, like in GT2. I've already mentioned in some of my posts about all the crappy cars that were still cool to drive. And of course my first love, Tom's Angel :D
  • Weather effects that change while you race, and that aren't pre-programmed(like it always starts out dry then on lap 4 starts to rain)
  • Little details, like rubber marks from skidding and tracking water into tunnels that are rpoteced from the rain
  • And finally a damage mode, not all the time, but just have an option to turn damage on like in F1 games.
Now that I've seen Nabz's list this is all in addition to that :D He really has thought it out and I agree with every single one of his suggestions, he should e-mail Sony or Polyphony:thumbsup:

So GT series is a Sim'! So what! There's no law that Polphony can't produce a 'GT gone wild', if you like, is there Jordan? Hey, man, as I don't know how (website etc) y don't u get onto Polphony about that?! That would be a wicked idea!!

Thanx
Mr GT2

Originally posted by biggy
The important thing at you age is to learn and if it is from my mistakes thats ok.

Words of wisdom from a wise head.
But don't need 2, know all I need 2 about typing & spelling!!

Thanx
Mr GT2

But don't need 2, know all I need 2 about typing & spelling!!

Aye yie yie ....

I think most any of the suggestions here (and on other threads and boards) are good suggestions. If one person thinks it's a decent idea, I'm sure someone else would too. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that not everyone will. These game modifications/additions should be added as an option, like using automatic or manual transmission, or having driver steering assistance.

When I compare GT3 suggestions to first person shooter games, I come up with Counter Strike vs Infiltration. Counter Strike has a high level of realism, but they made some things at a fun factor and less real. In Infiltration their goal was to make it the more realistic game ever. That totally turns me off because I just want to have fun. Some people are just going to want to kick back and race care free, but some of us are going to want to see the scrapes down the side of their car from rubbing up against an oponent, and have to do body work next pit when we get oil, gas, and tires.

I guess my biggest improvement of choice, would be choice (: The player should be able to choose the option that they wish to have effect their game play.

~LoudMusic

Well sais LoudMusic, my only hope is that game developers will check out some of the message boards or even start their own comment board and take our suggestions under consideration when developing new titles. We afterall are the end user and should have some input as to what we feel would constitute a great game. While I'm on a rant I would like to find some way as consumers that we could let game developers and producers know that with the advent of PS2 substandard games that are still touting poor graphics and controls should not be tolerated. Most of us here obviously are concerned about the quality level of gamening today. I am a dedicated racing and F1 fan but as of yet have not played a F1 title worhty of purchase. The new 989 version of F1 was very disapointing. F1 is by far the most technological motor sport on the planet and game developers should understand we expect better products for our hard earned cash.

Wow, this article still exists? 13 Years later :) Ashamed to say I forgot about this site until I watch the recent documentary on Kaz and they interviewed the GT planet owner. Glad to see they implemented most of my recommendations! lol but I forgot to mention 1 thing... something very important... sound!! haha I picked up GT5 & GT6 on their release days and the both were placed right back into their covers shortly after :( I guess once you play proper PC titles you never look back. So hopefully if I ask for sounds now someone would listen!! XD lol cmon Polyphony you almost there! Nudge**

Wow, this article still exists? 13 Years later :) Ashamed to say I forgot about this site until I watch the recent documentary on Kaz and they interviewed the GT planet owner. Glad to see they implemented most of my recommendations! lol but I forgot to mention 1 thing... something very important... sound!! haha I picked up GT5 & GT6 on their release days and the both were placed right back into their covers shortly after :( I guess once you play proper PC titles you never look back. So hopefully if I ask for sounds now someone would listen!! XD lol cmon Polyphony you almost there! Nudge**
So, are you the guy who posted this?

Back