GT Sport 1st Impressions

• Thread starter Jeff Ross
  • 20 comments
Yep.

Well, he might like what other people do, but there's no reason why he'd need to refer to another thread before sharing his own impressions.
Was that aimed at my observation of GT Sport?
[QUOTE="Famine, post: 11754049, member: 903

This is the proper thread.

Nope, it's aimed at our members who believe, wrongly, that everything, on any given topic, should be shoved into a single, massive thread.

You're the boss here Famine, but just want to clarify that I don't believe that everything, on any given topic, should be shoved into a single, massive thread. That's just stupid and no one said that in this thread.

Only posts related to existing threads / discussions would make sense to be moved. But if you think it's OK to open new threads with the same purpose of existing ones, that's OK for me too. If this thread has a different purpose I'm not seeing it.

Why is this the proper thread? Unless the OP is changed to something like "give us your impressions, doesn't matter if they're good or bad", I don't see a reason to keep this one open. Having parallel discussions in different threads, addressing the same topic is counter productive and something I constantly see the board team avoiding. But I'm probably wrong now.

Fair enough. I hope other people don't do the same as Jeff and open a new thread to talk about their own first impressions ignoring existing threads. Not because I don't care about Jeff's first impressions but because I care and would like to read as much as possible (in the same thread). But there's no problem if I miss it. GTS is looking good so far. ;)

Thank you for the clarification.

After nearly two hours of play, and close to 60 miles driven here is my take on GT SPORT

MT SET-UP
lets begin with my set-up
i use a heavily modified t500 along with shifter and 3TPA pro Pedals
game is running on PS4 PRO
and displayed on 50 IN 4k hdr display.

the game does not currently run on setting higher than 1080p and streaming could only be accomplished at 720p standard. higer setting would close the braodcast.

Peripherals;
as soon as i got the game going jumped onto the settings and checked the wheel options. only three wheels where in the option menu. t500, t150, and g29. did not see the t300. but i belive that the t300 is covered under the t500 settings.

ASSISTS
first thing you need to do is disable all auto assists, as everyone of the assists are turned on.
which include. brake assists, steering assist, and throttle assist, the last to prevent new comers from over throttle and spinning out.

BGM
as usuall with a gt Titles, same clasical music with elegance. NOTE; all BGM is turned on. so if your one who likes to play with no music you need to go to setting and turn it off.

BUTTON MAPPING
as usual this is the norm. any button can be mapped to anything you wish. havent tested keyboard compatibility which would allow me to use my button box in conjunction with the wheel buttons. game can be navigated with the pad then use the wheel in the race

Vehicles
upon some research everyone with access to the beta are getting different types of cars
which are rated from
n300= road cars
group 3 race cars
and group 5. = GT3 vehicle

Tracks
limited time trial tracks include tokyo Expressway, short brands hatch and northern isle speedway
in arcade mode you are pited against other cars of the same class and have three laps on full brands hatch.

MODES
at the moment only modes available are Sport and Arcade. Arcade mode is not to be confused as Arcade feel. its more in the lines of a quick race option. sport is more of the story and challenge modes, other option not available are
VR SHOWCASE
PHOTO MODE

SOUND
sound is leap and bounds over previous GT series. that being said. i believe they are being utilized in a wrong way. transmission whine is to pronounce (you do hear gear shifts and tranny whine when releasing the throttle) but it drowns out the engine sound in cockpit view, and bumper view. in 3rd person you get a better engine sound, and not so much transmission sound.
also the sound of nearby cars are much louder than the car you are driving.
none the less i believe the sound is their, it just need to be implemented properly

FFB
this has to be its biggest flaw. wheel feedback is too light and its hard to really make a good judgement on the physics of the game. not enough road feel, and in my opinions hinders the physics of GT Sport. some work in this department would make the game feel much better. i cranked up the feedback settings but still much to light to make a proper comparison to other sims

PHYSICS
As stated above it is hard to determine this at the moment due to the lack of road feel and very light FFB. what i can say is; that the tire physics are much better than that of project cars.

Graphics
Well this is plain to see. it looks amazing. and in replay mode it looks like an actual race. GT Sport was running on my PS4 PRO.

BOP SETTINGS
This is by far the best feature in any sim racer. you can lock weight, hp, wheel types, ect to keep cars in closer proximity to each others in online racers. it has worked well since gt5. and i think they may have improved upon it. but still left to be determined whether race cars a put along road cars.

FOV COCKPIT
this seriously need to be worked on. its hard to see anything in cockpit view. ( the view is too narrow and hard to judge how close other cars are to you. especially going around a track like Northen Isle Speedway. Where your view is limited to maybe four car lengths in from of you due to the hard bank turns.

All in all Gran Turismo Sport looks promising, and their are a number of improvements that differentiate this GT series from previous ones. but still may fall short on expectation from hardcore sim racers. Because of its pedigree many sim racers will criticize this Title more than any other. and rightly so, as the time it has taken polyphony to come up with this version of GT. but also because some sim racers dont want to see the title succeed. sad but true.

But unlike any other title Kaz flies by his own sail. and not much of community concerns really drive him or the series. and to some extent thats a good thing.

Anyway much like any title their will be pros and cons. as much a we all want the perfect sim racer, we are just to opinionated to ever find the perfect sim. what you may dislike in assetto corsa, i may enjoy.
i dont complain much about content in any title because i can always throw in a different title in my ps4 that has it and have a blast.

i for one will be getting GT Sport, not because i played the beta but because every title i have play i thoroughly enjoyed every second ( except Gt6 )

anyway here is my live stream if anyone is interested in having a look

One thing I want in all my racing games is to be able to shift up/down with the right stick with a manual. This game does support it but to shift up you push down on the stick and to downshift you push up. Someone please tell me there is a way to reverse these controls because I haven't found it.

After nearly two hours of play, and close to 60 miles driven here is my take on GT SPORT
Way to go, averaging 30 mph in a racing game 👍 :lol:

Wait to drive a variety of cars before condemning the FFB. I had some bad first impressions, but different cars have different feels. Some of the gr.3 cars on Nurburgring were amazing. Using a T500, maybe the difference is more radical going from something like PCars to GT vs. with a T300.

FFB is far from where it needs to be, did you watch the whole video? I think not.

Did you not read what i wrote, or just skimmed through it. Surely you dint see the whole video.

I stated exactly what you just said. Smh. Need more variety of cars to determine ffb physics. But even so FFB needs to be improved. Their is absolutely no road feel whatsoever.

FFB is far from where it needs to be, did you watch the whole video? I think not.

Did you not read what i wrote, or just skimmed through it. Surely you dint see the whole video.

I stated exactly what you just said. Smh. Need more variety of cars to determine ffb physics. But even so FFB needs to be improved. Their is absolutely no road feel whatsoever.

No worries, 5 more years and it will be dialed in.

One thing I want in all my racing games is to be able to shift up/down with the right stick with a manual. This game does support it but to shift up you push down on the stick and to downshift you push up. Someone please tell me there is a way to reverse these controls because I haven't found it.
Wish i could be of help , i race with a wheel.

Back