GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He no problem. I am not burned out but did not like it the thread was not working anymore and almost no reactions while I need some 60-90 minutes to do the posting with everything. So the enthusiasm died a little bit here.

Maybe after the vacation period people will be joining again more.

Great to here your burn-out is gone !

Alright, before the extended vacation was a duel featuring the SLS AMG GT3 against it's stablemate and younger sibling, the AMG GT3. Both cars perform very well when BoP is applied, but here it's a different story when we look at the stock specs. I'm sure everyone can agree with their lap times that the AMG GT was the faster of the two Mercedes GT3 machines, that's why it gets my vote for week 13. Not to mention I think the AMG GT looks much better in race trim than the SLS, might just be the more aggressive aero but it really does feel like a successor that improves 100% on the base car. So my vote goes to the AMG GT3.

Let's see what you guys had to say:

Vertical rock votes AMG GT3.

The AMG GT3 wins it.

And so, my vote goes to!:
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 '11

SLS GT3: 1
AMG GT3: 3

So it's quite obvious with a 3-1 victory and faster lap times, the winner of week 13 is the...

maxresdefault.jpg

Mercedes AMG GT3 (HTP Motorsport) '16

See you guys in a little bit with the official laptimes from week 13...

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 13 Results - Germans in France!

Circuit_de_Sainte-Croix_-_B.jpg

Last week featured a high-intensity time trial on one of the fastest GT Racing circuits in the game. The St. Croix B layout is one of my favourite tracks in the game, and I'm sure many of you saw why during this time trial. Beautiful scenery in the south of France, gigantic bridges to satisfy the most rampant of engineering fetishes, and that amazing back straight that was ripped straight from the Mulsanne.

Both cars were very similar machines, but the votes and your write-ups proved the AMG GT was just superior due to being the improved version of its older brother, the SLS AMG GT3. Let's see just how much faster they were:

black-falcon-3-5307-image-small.png

Mercedes SLS AMG GT3

@RZQSPEED - 2:10.089
@Obelisk - 2:13.636
MrWaflz55 (me) - 2:13.836
@ThrasherDBS - 2:16.283

So, RZQSPEED takes the first trial rather predictably with our other faster members not showing up. I was close to Obelisk and could have challenged him a bit more if I could manage to squeeze a couple more tenths out of my laptimes, unfortunately that didn't happen.

mercedes-amg-team-htp-motorsport-29-6403-image-big.png

Mercedes AMG GT3 (HTP Motorsports)

@RZQSPEED - 2:08.364
@Obelisk - 2:10.991

MrWaflz55 (me) - 2:11.496
@ThrasherDBS - 2:14.291

Unfortunatley the same results as last time. Wasn't quite able to catch Obelisk in the end. I suppose this result was rather predictable with these two cars pretty much being very similar in handling characteristics, just one is slightly faster than the other.

So that was last week's time trial. I'm sure you guys are all ready for a new duel, let's get it started then...​

Last edited:
GT Sport Duel of the Week #14: French Hatch Showdown!

Now I know from the sound of the title, this may not seem like that exciting of a duel. However, I’m sure these little guys from France will surprise you with how entertaining they are to drive. A car doesn’t need 1000 horses and a hybrid turbo system to be exciting. As evidence by Kei-Cars, these low-power rides can put on a show of their own in the right hands.

This week we have two such cars from France, both are also hotted-up hatchbacks of pre-existing models. It’s sure to be an interesting week with these two so close together in terms of performance.

Please welcome the...

BFA6EC0C-0DCF-453C-951D-EB531D03C725.jpeg

Peugeot 208 GTi!

And the...

9ABBD419-283B-4577-AB5D-43D229763AF6.jpeg

RenaultSport Clio 220 EDC Trophy!

This is going to be a fun week with these two, personally I think the Peugeot is going to be a little more fun to me due to the smaller proportions, but maybe the Renault will surprise me with it’s drive.

(Remember that both the 2015 and 2016 versions of the Clio EDC Trophy are available this week. They’re the same car, just with different fog lights. Times in both cars will be accepted.)

Last edited:
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #14 - French's Hatch

Brands-Hatch-Indy-Trackmap.jpg

You saw the image right, this week's time trial takes us to Brands Hatch's Indy layout, the shorter variant of the track still features the terrifying paddock hill bend. Make sure to watch your speed while going in so you don't wipe out into the gravel trap. The connection between Surtees and McLaren can be a little tricky too, so watch that understeer on these French FF hot hatches!

This Week's Rules:
Tire Compound:
Sports Hard
Tuning: Not Allowed
Tags: gtsduel, dotw014
Deadline: August 31st

So have fun with these less powerful, but still mighty fun hatchbacks. I'll see you guys on the other side of the week as usual with the results. Let's see who's the fastest of the two French hatches here!​

Renault
1618 cc
216 hp @ 6000 rpm
207 ft-lbs @ 2000 rpm
2,654 lbs

Peugeot
1598 cc
204 hp @ 6000 rpm
221 ft-lbs @ 3000 rpm
2,646 lbs

Renault has +20 cc's and +12 peak horsepower, but -14 peak torques. Weight difference is a negligible 8 lbs.

At Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires:

1:07.962 - Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 Trophy '16
1:08.283 - Peugeot 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport

I found the Peugeot goes around corners better, with less dramatic understeer. It also isn't as ugly-looking as the Clio. I choose the 208 GTi despite it being 3 tenths slower around one of my favorite tracks in the world.

I think the difference between the Clio's could be more pronounced than:
They’re the same car, just with different fog lights.
The "old" Clio is 1179 kg and the "new" Clio is 1204 kg. The weight difference of 35 kg (about 77 lbs for the uncivilised crowd) makes that the new Clio has 4 hp per ton less horsepower. So I think the difference is quite significant.

Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 EDC Trophy '15; 216hp; 281Nm; 183hp/ton; 1,179kg; 2,599lbs
Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 EDC Trophy '16; 216hp; 281Nm; 179hp/ton; 1,204kg; 2,654lbs
Peugeot 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport; 204hp; 300Nm; 170hp/ton; 1,200kg; 2,646lbs

2015 Clio: 56.880
2016 Clio (red in video): 56.922
2014 208 GTi: 57.221

Turns out those few pounds make a notable difference in the pace of the two Clios. I have to say, the 208 was kind of...disappointing in terms of sheer performance, but it is a charming little car in its own right.

Monolith votes the 2015 Clio.

I suppose it’s pretty obvious now, but be sure to include both Renault Clios in this week’s time trials. Votes for both years of the Clio will still go towards the overall “Clio” vote count, but lap times will be listed separately for 2015/16 models in the weeks’s end.

The "old" Clio is 1179 kg and the "new" Clio is 1204 kg. The weight difference of 35 kg (about 77 lbs for the uncivilised crowd) makes that the new Clio has 4 hp per ton less horsepower. So I think the difference is quite significant.

Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 EDC Trophy '15; 216hp; 281Nm; 183hp/ton; 1,179kg; 2,599lbs
Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 EDC Trophy '16; 216hp; 281Nm; 179hp/ton; 1,204kg; 2,654lbs
Peugeot 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport; 204hp; 300Nm; 170hp/ton; 1,200kg; 2,646lbs

A lot more detailed than I was going to say, but yes, they're not completely the same car.

I suppose it’s pretty obvious now, but be sure to include both Renault Clios in this week’s time trials. Votes for both years of the Clio will still go towards the overall “Clio” vote count, but lap times will be listed separately for 2015/16 models in the weeks’s end.

I'd motion to actually have the 2015 and 2016 Clios stand on their own merits. The deck shouldn't be stacked against the Peugeot because PD decided to be mostly redundant to Renault rather than Peugeot. It's 2 vs 1 as it stands right now.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was one of the duels that Waflz offered that I pick up when he couldn't get the duel started for some week. Having an aversion to French cars and front-wheel drives, I picked something else. But I guess I can't run away from it forever. I still feel it's redundant having two versions of the same car a year apart.

Brands Hatch Indy Trial:
208 - 0:57.618
Clio 2016 - 0:57.401
Clio 2015 - 0:56.981

The 2015 Clio is obviously the better car of the three, being lighter than the one that's one model year newer. It would've been a close battle if it was just the 2016 Clio versus the 208, but unfortunately that's how it goes.

My vote goes to the 2015 Clio.

I tested the Clio '15 at Tsukuba yesterday and it's near-identical to the '16, being only 0.061 seconds faster :indiff:

The '15 is 55 lbs. lighter and makes peak torque at 2500 rpm versus 2000.

Alright, I'm back baby :D
On to the review!

My vote goes for the 208 GTI. Why? Simple, because that car doesn't hide what it is.

The Clios felt pretentious. Their suspension feels unnecessarily tight- I'm a bad tuner so I may be wrong but, I feel like I'm bottoming out every single time on turn 1 in those hatches. Them having paddle shifters is convenient, if not a bit disappointing. Warm hatches are for fun- why do you need paddle shifters for fun? It doesn't exactly help that I can shift manually faster than this paddle shifter. I'm sorry, but I have nothing but disappointment with these two cars. You know what's the icing on the cake? Renault managed to make the newer car slower. Congrats, this is the first time I've seen such a case since the RX-7 FD and its RX-8 kin.

The Peugot is a funsey little car, if I can call it that. It doesn't hide me anything, it just enjoys itself. "Hey, can you take this corner just a bit slower? My tires are starting to lose its grip. You can push me a bit harder there", I feel like it tells me sometimes, whereas the Clio it just suddenly understeers onto the sand. I like this Peugeot. It doesn't try to live up to its older brothers' legends and legacies- it knows what it wants and what it can deliver, and deliver it does

Times:
Clio R.S. 220 Trophy '15 - 56.392
Clio R.S. 220 Trophy '16 - 56.678
208 GTi by Peugeot Sport '14 - 56.965

Last edited:
So these are cars I definitely don't spend much time in and it was nice to have a reason to get them out.

I only did the 2015 Clio because I had already logged in the time way before it was mentioned about doing the '16 model too. It would appear the 2016 model is slower than the 2015 anyway.

Anyway not much for me to say on these cars so I will just get to the point.

Even though the Clio does a faster lap time I prefer the way the 208 handles. I feel more comfortable and consistent in it so the faster car doesn't always get my vote.

208 GTI. 0:57.014

Clio RS 2015 0:56.853

My vote goes to the 208 GTI

So, that was an interesting last duel featuring some slower hatchbacks from France. Trust me, the next duel coming up will have cars with sufficient speed...

From what I gathered, the 208 GTi was a better handling car than the Renault. Not only that, but it looks better too. It's not THAT much slower, it has better handling, it looks better and overall I'd take the extra tenths just to use the 208 over the Clio. With BoP on, the car is more than a match for the Clio, and using the sliders even without mileage points, it can be on par with the Clio in just a few moves of the power slider.

So, my vote goes to the better handling, better looking 208 GTi.

Let's see what you guys had to say:

I choose the 208 GTi

Monolith votes the 2015 Clio.

My vote goes to the 2015 Clio.

My vote goes for the 208 GTI.

My vote goes to the 208 GTI

That means with a 4:2 victory, the winner of the last duel is the...

5837254526188422672_0.jpg

...Peugeot 208 GTi!

Now, moving onto the results of our Time Trial...

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week - Results from Brands Hatch

Brands-Hatch-Indy-Trackmap.jpg

The last duel of the French Hatchbacks featured Brands - Indy as the location of the duel. This track is short but challenging enough to provide a decent stage for our Time Trial. The Paddock Hill bend is especially unforgiving, and getting the braking points correct can make or break a lap in the first corner. Let's see which French Hatch was the fastest this week, but more importantly WHO was the fastest?

renault-clio-renaultsport-cutout.jpg

Renault Clio 220 EDC Trophy

- 2016 -

@Alpha Cipher - 0:56.678
@ThrasherDBS - 0:56.981
@Obelisk - 0:56.992

- 2015 -

@Alpha Cipher - 0:56.392
@Rinsky - 0:56.853
@Obelisk - 0:56.880
@ThrasherDBS - 0:57.401

2015_Peugeot_208_GTi_by_Peugeot_Sport_02.jpg

Peugeot 208 GTi

@Alpha Cipher - 0:56.965
@Rinsky - 0:57.014
@Obelisk - 0:57.221

@ThrasherDBS - 0:57.618

So, a clean sweep by Alpha Cipher this week. Makes sense because he's part of the S/S (whoops, did that come out wrong?). The split between Obelisk and Thrasher for the 2016 Clio is one of the closer ones we've seen on any Duel of the Week, past and present.

I hope you're all itching for the next duel, it's going to be a fast one.​

GT Sport Duel of the Week #15: Track Attack

I was teasing this to be a fast duel earlier today, and I think you guys won't be disappointed. This week features two cars with very similar form factors, and they are also both designed to do something similar. However, they both go about them in very different ways. One is lightweight and uses a heavily modified four-cylinder with V-Tech, while the other is incredibly limited, expensive and uses a classic gigantic V12 with huge torque. This week features the duel of two FR track machines in N-Class at the Red Bull Ring.

This week we have the...

7359450243552772620_0.jpg

...Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo!

up against a very unexpected rival, the...

8215226529046593556_0.jpg

...Aston Martin Vulcan!

Let's see how this duel goes. Will the superior brakes and handling of the S2000 be enough to stop the Vulcan from gobbling it up on the straights? Jump into them this week, take them for a spin and find out!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not gonna submit times this week. :lol: I'm in no shape to deal with the S2000's extreme attitude on Sports Soft tires.

I vote the Vulcan on the fact that it felt more stable.

Took me only 3 laps - I vote the Vulcan by a mile! I could not keep the rear end of the s2000 straight. Granted, I am heavy handed on the accelerator, but jeez, when can you open the throttle on that thing? Around corners? Of course not. Straight line? Ease into it, slowly, I mean slowly. Oh, and trail braking? Forget about it! I am sure I could do better with the s2000 if I wanted to, but, I just didn't want to. Better tires and a tune, it might be great - but "as-is", no thank you sir! Definitely the Vulcan, definitely.

Aston Martin Vulcan- 1:34.911
Amuse S2000 GT1- 1:38.376

My vote, sadly, goes to the Vulcan...

Both cars are simply lovely to drive, once you look past their imperfections. It's okay, no one and nothing is perfect, we just have to acknowledge that. The Vulcan has bad brakes, and the Amuse has pendulum oversteer.

The Amuse is certainly quite playful, perhaps a bit too playful for my tastes. I always praise cars that make me earn my way to be fast, but this car I just find it... unsatisfying? If that's the right word. I mean, yeah sure I do have to work hard to drive this car, heck I even made a new technique that combines left foot braking and heel-and-toe just for this car, but it feels like the car just doesn't want me to give everything it has. I feel lacking (there's the word!), knowing that the car can go so much faster than this. Although, this car is not all bad. For some reason, maybe it's because of the gearing, I find this car to be the most satisfying to use the H patteen in. Misshifts are few and far in between, and the downshifts are rapid and cathartic. It's a real shame because if this car would just give me everything it has, all of its potential, it would probably be my favorite car in GTS right now.

The Vulcan is definitely much more sterile than the Amuse, seeing that it only wants to dance in a straight line with its gobs of power overwhelming the rear wheels. Brakes aside it's a good car to drive, turn-in is almost as sharp as a Gr. 4 machine, which is a much taller order than you think it is. I do find the exclusion of an H-pattern manual slightly disappointing, but who am I to talk as say that while I abuse the sequential transmission :lol:
The car surprised me, to be honest. It's not the first time I drove this car, but it's the first time I've felt it as stable as this. Maybe it's because of the new tire model? But hey, as long as it works, it works :) that said though, the reason why I voted this over the Amuse despite it being a much easier and less exhaustive car to drive is because it rewards me accordingly. It's not like the Amuse that hides its true potential. I drove it to the best of my abilities, the Vulcan gave me what it can to the best of its abilities

Back