GT Sport GR Supra Cup Returns for 2020

I couldn't get a clean q lap and missed my final attempt by four seconds. Started 19th, ended 11th and had two excellent close quarters battles with two Spanish chaps called SANCHEZGTR and pol_98 - including going through the whole of the container section side-by-side without any contact at all.

I was the only driver in that half of the grid to finish with a blue S though, thanks to driving straight through an Italian chap with a one-bar connection serving a 5-second penalty. He seemed to ruin everyone else's races, which was kind of him, but as he was intangible when I encountered him... win.

Pretty straightforward GR Cup at Tokyo for me tonight. Mostly A/S lobby with 4 B/S drivers.

Got a decent tow to qualify 8th, but almost a second off pole. Ran my race and made up 2 positions as drivers served wall collision penalties and nursed the tires home to a comfortable 6th place.

Grabbed 125 points which displaces 111 points for a net gain of 14, so pretty happy with that. Also happy to have possibly regained some mojo after sitting out Saturday's FIA races due to lack of confidence.

Door 5, Q8, P6 gained 600 DR ~ 34.3K

D- 17, Q - 9th, R - 13th
Was always going to be messy with a bunch of Amateur drivers on this track, think I had wall penalties more often than not. Hats off to all who survived :)

PS: The last race at Bathurst will be interesting

Pretty straightforward GR Cup at Tokyo for me tonight. Mostly A/S lobby with 4 B/S drivers.

Got a decent tow to qualify 8th, but almost a second off pole. Ran my race and made up 2 positions as drivers served wall collision penalties and nursed the tires home to a comfortable 6th place.

Grabbed 125 points which displaces 111 points for a net gain of 14, so pretty happy with that. Also happy to have possibly regained some mojo after sitting out Saturday's FIA races due to lack of confidence.

Door 5, Q8, P6 gained 600 DR ~ 34.3K
hm, maybe I should've given it a shot... at least on my alt account. was fearful it was going to be a massacre between the concrete walls, and at the docks. I like the way the cars drive, but the last couple of races (and the upcoming Bathurst race) had me bailing on the series completely.

I went into Tokyo with a low S SR from Nations Cup, which put me in a mixed DR lobby. I was able to set a decent lap on the 1st run in qualifying, but my second run was ruined thanks to an arrogant driver and the broken penalty system:

He had already ruined his lap to begin with, but he had the audacity to flash his lights at me when it should be obvious that I was on a flying lap. He then tapped me at the kink in the tunnel, handing me a stupid penalty and wasting my blue 1st sector. The red mist immediately descended on me and I retaliated at the carpark hairpin by slamming into him to ruin his lap and send him to the back of the grid.

qjYLiy6.jpg

The race itself was pretty messy. 3 of the drivers ahead of me had already gotten penalties for corner-cutting at the docks on lap 2. With the looming penalties set to bunch up the pack ahead, I knew things would turn nasty on the following lap.

I had swerved right in an attempt to dodge the incident, only to realise too late that the green Supra had done the same thing. I swerved left to prevent myself from completely annihilating the green Supra, though I still made contact. Then the white Supra decides to be an idiot by grinding the inside wall of the hairpin, sending me into him. For good measure, I got an SR drop and a punt from behind.

Later on in the race, I got torpedoed at the kink just after the tunnel exit, as the guy behind me was able to take the kink far faster than I could. To add insult to injury, I got the penalty, leaving me to fight with another driver over 7th. I lost the battle and came in 8th, with a massive SR drop to B thanks to the string of incidents. Thank goodness the Nurburging daily race enabled me to repair my SR.

f5rp9ai.jpg

Since next Sunday is the final GR Supra GT Cup race:

Due to the pandemic right now, what would happen to the GR Supra GT Cup finals? GT.com says that it will be on a live event in November, but with seemingly no live events for this year (apart from Sydney) I guess PD/Toyota had to scramble to another way.

How's everyone doing with practice for round 7? Unfortunately couldn't make any of the previous rounds, so this will be my first and last supra cup round for this season. Managed to get a 2:26.4 with very little practice, ABS on default, BB -1 and TC on 0. Any tricks to go faster?

How's everyone doing with practice for round 7? Unfortunately couldn't make any of the previous rounds, so this will be my first and last supra cup round for this season. Managed to get a 2:26.4 with very little practice, ABS on default, BB -1 and TC on 0. Any tricks to go faster?

The only bit of advice I can provide is to be super smooth, sliding the car is fun but not your friend. When it comes to race conditions you'll need to be extra smooth due to the tire wear.

Good luck!

The only bit of advice I can provide is to be super smooth, sliding the car is fun but not your friend. When it comes to race conditions you'll need to be extra smooth due to the tire wear.

Good luck!
Thanks! That's an issue I have been noticing, the supra loves to go sideways (which, as you said is damn good fun!) but it's not the fastest way to get around the track. Thanks for the advice!

Only one race left in this event and I still haven't figured out how to drive this car! I don't have much experience with Mt. Panorama so I've been trying a lot of different cars at that track this week. I've improved quite a bit with the Gr3 and Gr4 cars, but the Supra...not so much, haha! I'm using TCS 2 and BB -2 and I still can't seem to finish a lap without sliding around somewhere. I just don't like driving this car. I don't mind a challenge, but I wish this car had more of a "fun factor" to it. If it does, then I still haven't found it yet :).

Only one race left in this event and I still haven't figured out how to drive this car! I don't have much experience with Mt. Panorama so I've been trying a lot of different cars at that track this week. I've improved quite a bit with the Gr3 and Gr4 cars, but the Supra...not so much, haha! I'm using TCS 2 and BB -2 and I still can't seem to finish a lap without sliding around somewhere. I just don't like driving this car. I don't mind a challenge, but I wish this car had more of a "fun factor" to it. If it does, then I still haven't found it yet :).
you just have to be suuuuuuper smooth with all of the inputs. With the downhill esses, for example you need to just drag the brake, until you can roll on the throttle. It's a challenge, but I've really been enjoying. I found that it just kinda clicks after a while. Hope that helps, good luck with your practice!

Tried a practice race, and all I can say is that this almost feels Laguna Seca bad.

You can start to feel the tire wear as early as lap 4, as late as lap 5. Absolute smoothness is required to make the tires last. If everyone bunches up and slows each other down, that'll help you tire save a bit more. This run (screenshot below) was from tire saving, and mostly got 25's. I did another run, where I pushed, and got 24's until lap 4, where I started getting 26's due to tire wear.

Pit stop will put you about 6.3 seconds behind. It's possible to make it work and make up the spots lost, but the moment someone blocks you from passing them for a short while, the 1 stop starts to fall apart. I'm thinking it could be possible if there's a massive gap behind you, as your new tires will help you make up the pit loss in about 3 laps without fighting anyone. This track is hard to perform overtakes, especially in a one-make race. The speed difference will need to be significant, or you need to be right behind someone, to make an overtake attempt.

I'm still thinking no stop is the way to go. Good luck.

Screenshot (321).png

Soft hands

Top split was absolute carnage, I counted 7 different leaders, most of whom then got a penalty or got punted off.

Anyway I turned out the other side in P3 and should get P5 in the championship having only entered the last 4 rounds. Doesn't count for anything but I'll take it.

I don't recommend taking a pit stop if it will put you back into traffic, as accidents will happen.

Top split was absolute carnage, I counted 7 different leaders, most of whom then got a penalty or got punted off.

Anyway I turned out the other side in P3 and should get P5 in the championship having only entered the last 4 rounds. Doesn't count for anything but I'll take it.

I don't recommend taking a pit stop if it will put you back into traffic, as accidents will happen.

My strategy of qualifying at the back and then moving up as people crash/gets penalties works well :lol: Seriously though, I saw someone got a 5 second penalty on the last corner because a car ahead of him spun out and hit him coming back on track. He dropped 2 places because of that. What a farce. I'd love to see the YT commentary for this race if PD are brave enough to show it instead of the 2nd slot.

Glad this championship is shorter than last year. The extra power doesn't make this car as enjoyable to drive as the 2019 model, and the extreme tyre wear makes it even more ridiculous in the last half of the race unless you spend the first half babying it and driving like a grandma. Last year's fuel saving race was strategically interesting at least.

If this comes back next year, I'd like to see a one make using the Gr.4 Supra instead.

My strategy of qualifying at the back and then moving up as people crash/gets penalties works well :lol: Seriously though, I saw someone got a 5 second penalty on the last corner because a car ahead of him spun out and hit him coming back on track. He dropped 2 places because of that. What a farce. I'd love to see the YT commentary for this race if PD are brave enough to show it instead of the 2nd slot.

Glad this championship is shorter than last year. The extra power doesn't make this car as enjoyable to drive as the 2019 model, and the extreme tyre wear makes it even more ridiculous in the last half of the race unless you spend the first half babying it and driving like a grandma. Last year's fuel saving race was strategically interesting at least.

If this comes back next year, I'd like to see a one make using the Gr.4 Supra instead.

I prefer this to short-shifting in FM6 for the entire race which is what happened in Supra Cup last year.

It's a difficult car to drive but I enjoyed racing in it (I skipped last year as I couldn't do 3 championships on the same day).

I wouldn't want another Gr4 championship as there are/were already enough Gr4 rounds in both Nations and Manufacturers.

Tonight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Qualified 6th, Pole Sitter either exited out or lost connection during the grid walk. Worked my way up to 4th at the end of the opening lap and then focused on clean laps for the remainder as the leaders had already checked out

Had a hairy moment into The Chase on the final lap as I ran wide and drifted through the grass until I was able to get the car back onto the circuit and slowed up to make the turn. Aside from that it was basically a hot lap session.

I prefer this to short-shifting in FM6 for the entire race which is what happened in Supra Cup last year.

It's a difficult car to drive but I enjoyed racing in it (I skipped last year as I couldn't do 3 championships on the same day).

I wouldn't want another Gr4 championship as there are/were already enough Gr4 rounds in both Nations and Manufacturers.

With last year's race, you could leave it in FM3/4+SS the whole race. Alternatively, you could turn down to FM6 at the end of straights and corners, and flick back to FM1 for a power boost on exit and then gradually wind down power along the next straight. It's basically an energy management race, just like driving the hybrid Group 1 cars. I find that strategic and on-the-fly thinking a lot more interesting than tyre saving which is basically drive slowly in first half, then go all out near the end. Having said that not all races are bad this year - N24 and Tokyo were reasonable. Laguna and Bathurst is just way too much wear. Each to their own though 👍

The reason I suggested the Gr.4 Supra is because that car is barely seen online due to how useless it is next to the Gr.4 GT86, so it would be nice to get some mileage on it. Also it gives a chance for players who missed out getting it last year to finally drive it (and hopefully keep it after the championship).

My alternative pipe dream would be PD adding the new Super GT Supra. Then we can have a championship going through Supra history from MA70, JZA80, GR Supra, Gr.4, Gr.3 then Gr.2 :D

If they are going to stick with the Toyota one make series then perhaps the FT-1 would be a better option. The Supra is quite frankly like driving a boat but less responsive.

Ran both North American slots this evening, my first sport mode races in quite some time. Both A/S lobbies although the second slot paid out 221 points, the highest this season of any race I've participated in.

Slot 1 - Q16 due to clipping someone recovering from a crash and receiving a 2 second penalty for my effort. Had a great clean and fun race and made my way up to P9 at the end for 110 points. Too bad I needed 111 for it to count. A great race that I had great pace in, so I decided to go again!

Slot 2 - Q11, 3-1/2 seconds behind polesitter Turismo Lester. But I was racing for points and not the win, and only needed 12th to improve my score. Everything was looking great as I was running 9th starting lap 8. Pressure was mounting from 10th as we crested the mountain and as I tried to let him by, he sorta lost control and hit me, sending me into the wall where of course I got a 2 second penalty. I ended up 13th with 110 points, again! :banghead:

A net gain of 203 DR over 2 races (~32.4K) and two blue S'.

All in all, I really enjoyed the season and took part in all 7 rounds. The highlight was a victory at the Nurburgring 24 round. For me, it was much better than season 1, as I can't save fuel and be fast at the same time, and last season was all about fuel management.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the supra cup. Although I missed two rounds due to sickness and my last two races were low scoring I didn’t do too badly in the end.
673533DA-910C-4970-B5C1-5AE5ED820563.png

A PSN friend of mine passed away during this season so I updated my livery as a tribute
F74140DA-778F-47A5-8CDB-861A597001F2.png

I’m hoping I can get my S Rank back, I’m sure this championship applies?

I really enjoyed the supra cup. Although I missed two rounds due to sickness and my last two races were low scoring I didn’t do too badly in the end. View attachment 950089
A PSN friend of mine passed away during this season so I updated my livery as a tribute
View attachment 950090
I’m hoping I can get my S Rank back, I’m sure this championship applies?

Pretty sure it doesn't sadly :guilty:

Despite being hampered by a DR reset from penalties and it hence still being in a sorry state, another podium finish in Bathurst yesterday contributed to an overall satisfying result in this year's cup. Once again managed to rank much higher than in the FIA competitions despite achieving my personal best ranks there as well this year :cheers:

Bildschirmfoto von 2020-08-17 13-08-22.png

Back