GT Sport Scheduled for 'Kinda Funny' Panel at PlayStation Experience This Weekend

I agree with that point. It doesn't make sense if you want to sell millions of copies. They should focus on a varied single player experience, affection with your favorite brand, different play elements that please youngster and oldtimers. Include stuff from different car cultures and make the racing exciting.

I mean these are the blurbs for some of the key headings on the website:

It’s one thing to be number one in the world, but quite another to do it with the pressures of representing your country. Do you have what it takes? Or how about driving for your favourite manufacturer? You can test your resolve in two championships officially certified by the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile), where you’ll need more than just driving skill to be successful.

The official races of “Sport Mode” where top players from around the world will compete, are hosted on weekends in a match that will be broadcast live. TV quality Live cameras and Live commentary, now in a video game.

You can acquire a real motorsport licence: the "FIA Gran Turismo Digital Licence" The "FIA Gran Turismo Digital Licence", issued after fulfilling various prerequisite in-game, will have the equivalent value to a real world motorsport licence.

It's extremely niche. Sure, at the top it talks about the cars and tracks which appeal to everyone, but the gameplay? Nothing to entice the casual player. The above sounds extremely intimidating.

It surely does for the casual gamer out there.

What? common sense? No, kids want more scapes, more museum stuff...

I like this kind of stuff ;) I think however that the main focus shouldn't be directed at those points.

Last edited:
Yes but you're a car enthusiast on a forum dedicated to the game, you're in a very small minority. Even in this forum, a minority in itself compared to the potential 10 million GT buyers, a large amount aren't going to be interested in the hardcore aspects of the game. I'm one of them. Then you've got all the cruisers, drifters, collectors, etc that couldn't give a damn about FIA competitions and racing licenses.

Gran Turismo has always in the past appealed to the casual gamer, now they seem to be focusing on a very small niche group in a time where games need to do even more to appeal to the casual buyer that makes up the millions.
Sure sure sure. But I'm not demanding hardcore stuff from GT. I'm just as any you when it comes to the gameplay itself. I want GTS to be fun, and not to be "a smaller experience" based on what we know now. Fun, good looking and with somewhat competitive AI. I don't care about intricate tuning as I don't know much, like how much camber is good for X track with X car. I'm a casual gamer which happens to love cars, and I'm sure I'm not alone there. GT made me love cars more than I already did, it introduced me to a world of cars I didn't know of before. I'm certainly not alone there either. GT was my childhood. I always called the Subaru Outback (it's called that in Norway) a Legacy, because of GT.

All I ever talk about on this forum is GT. I rarely visit other threads relating to other games or RL, except a few post this year relating to my Z I recently acquired. A proud purchase with a plan on restomodding it, which most likely won't be realized. At least I own it, right? Childhood dream #2 complete.

Well frankly, who can they get that is known to more people then just the comparatively small Sim racing Community AND who happens to know a lot of racing sims

They should have asked Torgo and the PSNation team.
Longest running PlayStation podcast and Torgo is a long time fan of the series. He's spoken about it many times on his show.

Don't get your hopes up, PD never cracked the code on public relations and info sharing. And I too believe release will be Fall 2017. Expect delays. This is 'Perpetual Delays' (PD) after all.

They should've picked Darin and John from InsideSimRacing instead

Problem is exactly what I already specified:

Well frankly, who can they get that is known to more people then just the comparatively small Sim racing Community

I guarantee the general public has no idea who the hell Darin Gangi or John from inside racing is (likewise, Shaun Cole from simpit and many others).

@RACECAR They can get anyone for GiantBomb, IGN, Easy Allies, Eurogamer who cares about it, granted none of these have the Playstation pull as the KF guys but fear we won't learn much.

None of those will work. Most specifically two of them because:

IGN
: Do I really need to tell you how massively despised IGN is in the gaming community alone? If people can't trust them with the games they care about, how the hell in any way are they a good choice to cover a driing sim?
Eurogamer: Do I need to remind you of the BS they pulled earlier this year?

These sort of things are intended for casual Joe Public, you're only going to be disappointed if you're expecting a serious in depth preview of hardcore sim stuff.

This. Seriously, how many times does it have to be spelled out for you guys?

Starting out by asking if you've got what it takes to be the best in the world, it's certainly a bold strategy. Will it pay off?

Lets see if it works, cotton :P

They should have asked Torgo and the PSNation team.
Longest running PlayStation podcast and Torgo is a long time fan of the series. He's spoken about it many times on his show.

But does he actually play other sims that are also available on the PlayStation consoles? If not, that sounds more like an incoming sales pitch then anything else.

I guarantee the general public has no idea who the hell Darin Gangi or John from inside racing is (likewise, Shaun Cole from simpit and many others).
I don't even know who these people in Kinda Funny is. But from what I've understood it seems stupid having people who doesn't care about racing games talk about it.

I don't even know who these people in Kinda Funny is. But from what I've understood it seems stupid having people who doesn't care about racing games talk about it.

They're talking about not because its a racing game but because first and formost, its a significant PlayStation franchise (and at a PlayStation event mind you). Again, this is event aimed at the public and NOT exclusively for sim racers so while you aren't aware of this "Kinda Funny" group (hell, I'm in the same boat), having someone else who not many people know won't help.

True, but a small GT segment could've be done by someone else, surely? A game for everyone, but people with no interest of cars won't buy it. And that's why people who doesn't care but still talk about it sounds like trouble, you know?

For those interested Kinda Funny's gaming side are mainly Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty and Tim Gettys, all former IGN, with Greg and Colin hosting Podcast Beyond (IGN's Playstation podcast) for a while, they're fanboys but call things as they see it and have a really strong following.

I love Colin and Greg, but come on man, these guys really don't care about racing games. They haven't covered GT Sport on PS I Love You XOXO, apart from a couple of news stories, they don't discuss racing games at all and barely play them. This is weird.

@RACECAR already covered it: these guys not being "sim racers" is entirely the point. This is an event for PlayStation gamers, and will be livestreamed for PlayStation gamers. Folks that cover the mainstream will bring a lot more attention to the game than a bunch of hardcore, sim driving elites. I mean, have you watched a video from any of the sim-only outlets lately? They're incredibly knowledgeable, but also borderline impenetrable to all but the well-versed. "Dry" is an understatement.

Want GT Sport to be a sales success? It'll need to be marketable to the general gaming public, not the sim racer community.

You just asked this on a forum in which a majority of the members are here primarily for sim racing news and discussion.

The same forum that seems to repeatidly forget that events like Gamescom, E3, TGS and similar events are not exactly Sim racer friendly.

I love Colin and Greg, but come on man, these guys really don't care about racing games. They haven't covered GT Sport on PS I Love You XOXO, apart from a couple of news stories, they don't discuss racing games at all and barely play them. This is weird.

Apart from forums like this with people like us, who does?

@SlipZtrEm Fair enough but they genuinly don't care about racing games as someone who follows their content, whenever they read news regarding GT they just skim through it, granted your point is still valid but wouldn't a standalone GTSport panel be better?

@SlipZtrEm Fair enough but they genuinly don't care about racing games as someone who follows their content, whenever they read news regarding GT they just skim through it, granted your point is still valid but wouldn't a standalone GTSport panel be better?
I thought it was going to be a separate panel for GT Sport. I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to be. I can just picture a free4all. I'm hyped for Horizon: Zero Dawn as well.

Apart from forums like this with people like us, who does?
I think GT is a special case. Its appeal reaches further than I once would have imagined a few years ago. Before GT5, I thought the fact that it was long overdue was helping. Years after, I think it's an anomaly of a game in regards to its attraction and large userbase.

Don't get your hopes up, PD never cracked the code on public relations and info sharing. And I too believe release will be Fall 2017. Expect delays. This is 'Perpetual Delays' (PD) after all.
January I looked into my crystal bowl :)

You just asked this on a forum in which a majority of the members are here primarily for sim racing news and discussion.
Obviously not us. But I'm sure you know what I mean ;) I can tell you here in France, it's all about FIFA, COD, GTA, DOTA. The most popular game with cars is Rocket League... My little brother was surprised when I told him that GT was the biggest seller in the past.

Obviously not us. But I'm sure you know what I mean ;) I can tell you here in France, it's all about FIFA, COD, GTA, DOTA. The most popular game with cars is Rocket League... My little brother was surprised when I told him that GT was the biggest seller in the past.
Yes, I knew what you mean. I just thought it was kind of ironic/funny ;)

So. Yesterday we got like a 50 minutes heads-up with the stream page ready to tune in to. Where's the direct youtube page / twitch stream / playstation live page for todays stream? I'm getting real antsy here!

Back