GT Sport Update 1.63 Arrives, Brings Sport Mode Changes

How is ghosting realistic?
Also everyone ghosting to the same spot would look like garbage, think about it.
I agree with the slow down but still that would lead to other problems unfortunately (people bumping each other)
Ghosting isn't realistic at all... And so are forced penalty zones, third person camera views and indestructible cars...

At the end of the day it is still a game and compromises must be made... On top of that, there are technical limitations...

I don't think we can have a 100% realistic and fair pit stops... And I think my suggestion is a good compromise between realism/immersion and what's actually possible taking into account what they've already done...
pit

Ghosting isn't realistic at all... And so are forced penalty zones, third person camera views and indestructible cars...

At the end of the day it is still a game and compromises must be made... On top of that, there are technical limitations...

I don't think we can have a 100% realistic and fair pit stops... And I think my suggestion is a good compromise between realism/immersion and what's actually possible taking into account what they've already done...
pit
Well the problem is, it seems your suggestion doesnt actually improve anything at all

Pit lane mishaps and people getting briefly stuck is part of racing. No it's not fair when it happens but that's racing, a lot of it isn't fair. It's not like it happens every time.

Well the problem is, it seems your suggestion doesnt actually improve anything at all
My suggestion would removed PD's ability to artificially increase or decrease pit times using a cutscene...

The duration of the pit time would then depend on how long the pitlane is and how fast the mechanics do their job...

Obviously it's not a perfect a solution, and a system overhaul would probably be better, but I based my suggestion on existing features..

The auto drive feature and the cutscene of the mechanics changing tyres/refueling is already are already there... They're just never used at the same time...

The only time you (auto) drive out of the pitlane is when you're qualifying (in FIA) or in a lobby..
But then when you go to change tyres/refuel, the auto drive feature is simply not used..

Pit lane mishaps and people getting briefly stuck is part of racing. No it's not fair when it happens but that's racing, a lot of it isn't fair. It's not like it happens every time.
Yes those things do happen in real life racing, but the problem is, PD has to also account for trolls...

In real life racing incidents do happen, but generally speaking, everyone is trying to actually get a good result...

In an online environment, there'd be tons of people out there for the simple purpose of ruining other people's experiences, that's why I think ghosting in the pitlane is a must..

There was time early on the game's life when lapped cars weren't ghosted... Besides the general trolling that made a lot of people literally wait a whole lap just to ruin your race if you did something they deemed unacceptable..

Last edited:
I was thinking about this earlier and was surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
Not all tracks can fit 20 or more cars.
That's why, if you're in a Daily Race B at Bathurst, with 16 cars, you spawn in the pit lane as normal during warm up.
But when it's a Daily Race C, you spawn in the garage and ghost to the end of the pits.
What if everyone pitted on the same lap with a 20 car grid? There just aren't enough pit boxes to physically drive into the pit lane.

I was thinking about this earlier and was surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
That's why, if you're in a Daily Race B at Bathurst, with 16 cars, you spawn in the pit lane as normal during warm up.
But when it's a Daily Race C, you spawn in the garage and ghost to the end of the pits.
What if everyone pitted on the same lap with a 20 car grid? There just aren't enough pit boxes to physically drive into the pit lane.

One more reason to have everyone fully ghost (disappear) in the pitlane...

For one reason or another, having multiple players in the pitlane is not viable in this specific game

One more reason to have everyone fully ghost (disappear) in the pitlane...

For one reason or another, having multiple players in the pitlane is not viable in this specific game
I wonder if this is also why PD implemented "cinematic" pit-stops instead of real-time...
That's exactly the point. It wouldn't work if we didn't have cinematic pitstops. Plus it actually looks kinda cool too, although I preferred the ones in GT4.

Yes those things do happen in real life racing, but the problem is, PD has to also account for trolls...

In real life racing incidents do happen, but generally speaking, everyone is trying to actually get a good result...

In an online environment, there'd be tons of people out there for the simple purpose of ruining other people's experiences, that's why I think ghosting in the pitlane is a must..

There was time early on the game's life when lapped cars weren't ghosted... Besides the general trolling that made a lot of people literally wait a whole lap just to ruin your race if you did something they deemed unacceptable..

Not sure how any of that would apply, the AI would still take over in the pit lane. How would there be any opportunities for shenanigans? I agree in principle though, ghosting where absolutely necessary would be fine and preferable to the current magic warping pit stops.

I have a theory that the pit stop weirdness in Sport is actually down to TAG Heuer, and I have literally almost nothing to support this except for the fact that GT Sport has always had a very sketchy grasp of driver positioning during pit stops - the first GT game to get itself so tangled up when cars go into the pits - until last year when TAG Heuer went away (although we did still see it during live events).

My theory is that something about TAG Heuer's timing solutions was incompatible with the pitlane in the game - probably something to do with the animation, which is there for atmospheric/aesthetic reasons - and PD could either solve it with a radical reworking of whatever it was to do with the pits (for a temporary sponsor/partner), or a simple fudge to mask the problem. And quite sensibly chose the latter.

Good call that
My suggestion would removed PD's ability to artificially increase or decrease pit times using a cutscene...

The duration of the pit time would then depend on how long the pitlane is and how fast the mechanics do their job...

Obviously it's not a perfect a solution, and a system overhaul would probably be better, but I based my suggestion on existing features..

The auto drive feature and the cutscene of the mechanics changing tyres/refueling is already are already there... They're just never used at the same time...

The only time you (auto) drive out of the pitlane is when you're qualifying (in FIA) or in a lobby..
But then when you go to change tyres/refuel, the auto drive feature is simply not used..

And above you have a very likely reason why PD chose to go cinematic, and probably not the only one
There are tracks with small pitlanes that 20 cars dont fit at all
Check out pitlanes of Goodwood or Tsukuba, for example. They are tiny

It's part of real life racing but not necessarily the case for virtual racing
Virtual racing has some benefits that real life racing doesnt, one of them is that you can not get injured or killed in a crash. Another could be this one... To get rid of pit lane unfairness and traffic.

Last edited:
My theory is that something about TAG Heuer's timing solutions was incompatible with the pitlane in the game - probably something to do with the animation, which is there for atmospheric/aesthetic reasons - and PD could either solve it with a radical reworking of whatever it was to do with the pits (for a temporary sponsor/partner), or a simple fudge to mask the problem. And quite sensibly chose the latter.
Interesting. It makes sense. I have the disc version of the game and when the PS4 really heats up is the demo stuff. Like it goes into a higher mode to show off. I can see even the old TAG load screen graphic (which was super cool) taking up a lot of power.

Good call that

And above you have a very likely reason why PD chose to go cinematic, and probably not the only one
There are tracks with small pitlanes that 20 cars dont fit at all
Check out pitlanes of Goodwood or Tsukuba, for example. They are tiny

It's part of real life racing but not necessarily the case for virtual racing
Virtual racing has some benefits that real life racing doesnt, one of them is that you can not get injured or killed in a crash. Another could be this one... To get rid of pit lane unfairness and traffic.
Funnily enough, in Project Cars 2, if the user is pitting, a warning pops up that another cars is in that pit box. The user then has to keep driving through the pit lane and do another lap. That would be awesome in GT7. :sly:

Funnily enough, in Project Cars 2, if the user is pitting, a warning pops up that another cars is in that pit box. The user then has to keep driving through the pit lane and do another lap. That would be awesome in GT7. :sly:
That means race over and probably end up out of fuel. No thanks

Undocumented change: Tire penalties in daily races are now one minute like in FIA races instead of usual 20 seconds.
EDIT: Not a new change?

Last edited:
I will say with the penalty system change, I'm actually in daily race lobbies with folks more at my D/S level. I kept getting put into races with A-C DR levels due to my safety rating. Hopefully, I can begin to improve my DR.

I have a theory that the pit stop weirdness in Sport is actually down to TAG Heuer, and I have literally almost nothing to support this except for the fact that GT Sport has always had a very sketchy grasp of driver positioning during pit stops - the first GT game to get itself so tangled up when cars go into the pits - until last year when TAG Heuer went away (although we did still see it during live events).

Surely TAG Heuer is just branding and they don't actually develop the timing tech in GT though? Just like the Seiko ad in GT2, I don't think Seiko actually has any hand in the timing method as well. I'm pretty sure it just runs off the PS4's internal timekeeping device.

They did the cutscene for atmospheric reasons for live broadcasts and the shortened pitstops are scaled with the shorter races and higher multipliers. But now they are experimenting with more realistic pitstop lengths, but can't be bothered to switch to cockpit view so they just lengthened the cutscene. It's typical weird behaviour from PD, because if you go into pitlane in lobby, or before quali, you can clearly see everyone has their own proper grid slots and the cars drive the whole length of the pits.

Surely TAG Heuer is just branding and they don't actually develop the timing tech in GT though? Just like the Seiko ad in GT2, I don't think Seiko actually has any hand in the timing method as well. I'm pretty sure it just runs off the PS4's internal timekeeping device.
Polyphony Digital has integrated TAG Heuer’s Live Timing Technology into Gran Turismo Sport
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5171798.html

Obviously, that could just be marketing fluff, and I did say that my theory had almost nothing to support it, but it seems so curious that GTS never had a proper handle on car positioning during pitstops (how many times have you seen your position jump up and then back down again, as cars pit in front of you, get removed to the back of the order, then emerge from the pits back into their on-track position?) despite never having had a problem in nine previous titles, until the TAG Heuer partnership ended last year and - I presume - PD could no longer use "TAG Heuer's Live Timing Technology" in the game.

I've always reckoned the vanishing/reappearing cars and cutscene had something to do with masking - or providing a solution to - this timing issue, and it's likely far too late in GTS's life (or far too close to GT7's launch) to put the effort into changing things now, given that it still works.

Last edited:
I post this video many times in regards to pit stops. PD would have to be able to do this by now.

wow that would be amazing to have pit stops like that in gt sport, but i think the ps4 and ps4 pro jaguar cpu wont be able to do it

Last edited:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5171798.html

Obviously, that could just be marketing fluff, and I did say that my theory had almost nothing to support it, but it seems so curious that GTS never had a proper handle on car positioning during pitstops (how many times have you seen your position jump up and then back down again, as cars pit in front of you, get removed to the back of the order, then emerge from the pits back into their on-track position?) despite never having had a problem in nine previous titles, until the TAG Heuer partnership ended last year and - I presume - PD could no longer use "TAG Heuer's Live Timing Technology" in the game.

I've always reckoned the vanishing/reappearing cars and cutscene had something to do with masking - or providing a solution to - this timing issue, and it's likely far too late in GTS's life (or far too close to GT7's launch) to put the effort into changing things now, given that it still works.

My money is still on it being marketing fluff, just like the Michelin tyre partnership will be (or the Yokohama/KW suspension partnership in GT6).

I do find the position shuffling in pitstops a bit weird, but I just put that down to a lot of cars pitting at the same time, and all teleporting to the same pitbox so the game doesn't know where to place you. Whereas in previous games, we don't have teleporting pits, everyone has their own pitbox, and generally you pit at different times from the AI (I never race online in previous GTs so I wouldn't know how it works then).

Not sure what changed but I've been noticing a lot of dropped audio lately. In GTS an occasional noticeable "skipping" like a CD of engine noise.

Not so bad in GTS. But trying to sync audio to video in ShareFactory has been almost impossible.

That's not even with PD using the full pit lane. The full pit lane goes from the chicane to T1 and all the way up to the exit of Raidillon. Guess that's PD's way to simulate the real length of pitting at Spa.

Back