GT Sport vs GT6: Shelby Cobra 427 Comparison

But is there more detail in the raw data? Is it just the improved graphics and lighting engine? The only way to know would be to put a GT6 car into GTS to compare properly and, of course, I would not know whether that would be technically possible.

So are these completely new models, or what? 'Cause I heard someone speculate they use the same meshes as the ones in GT6. A way to cut down the modeling time, someone also speculated.

Interesting artice @Brend & kudos to @emula for the comparison that was eagerly awaited by many. Many including me would be interested in any conclusion as to whether the Cobra in GTS was an entirely new model as it likely bearing on how many and how quick the other models will come. Do you have a view or not enough information available ?

Tom
Every model on GT Sport is new, all built from the ground up.

Thanks I suspected that would be the case given this is an entire new generation GT.

So taking into account holidays, illness, meetings, review and rework etc and supervisory roles that would suggest all things considered a maximum throughput of around 50 models every 6 months.

Anyone have an idea how long each track takes as not aware its ever been mentioned by Kaz or PD ?

I honestly doubt its 100% redone. They probably had to redo ALL the textures due to the PBR pipeline ( you can't reuse old style textures ) and probably added details / rounded out polys but its not a 100% new model .
I also don't see why they'd throw away a perfectly good mesh that could just be touched up for fidelity and save a ton of time.

I also don't see why they'd throw away a perfectly good mesh that could just be touched up for fidelity and save a ton of time.
Exactly, the mesh is probably reused or updated. Im pretty confident that the textures had to be redone simply due to the new rendering. PD might have also modified the existing meshes to work with Dynamic tessellation , this does take a couple dozen hours of work.

From a quick look at the first two images, the middle panel (red arrow) in the grill area was completely flat in GT6.
Bottom portion of the grill opening (green arrow) was also pretty mis-shapened in GT6.

Hw7vCcM.png

Much appreciated for the picture comparison.👍 Great to see such a legendary machine getting such beautiful treatment. Only way PD could improve on it is if it is rain soaked with roadside lights shining down on it during the evening. Maybe someday soon.:)

Next up, F40. In it's perfectly replicated rosso red, see-through perspex engine cover, visible carbon weave glory.:bowdown:

It seems like a good idea but I don't know whether or not it would've been possible to take the data and put it on to a new console. "Touching up" would be the cost effective thing, but PD are all about graphics. So they created new models fit for PS4 use, because they can. It may seem counter intuitive, but then again the tracks have been remade also. There's also a marketing purpose, because "super premium" sounds better than "premium" cars from GT6, without PBR, with outdated shaders and without HDR colouring. Yet you do wonder if it was truly necessary to completely rebuild models if they were to "last for ten years"

It's entirely possible that some of the data/source material collected for the PS3 era games is still usable, and could be "re-scanned", per-say. We'd have to see how/when PD's modeling hardware evolved to know for sure, though.

Yet you do wonder if it was truly necessary to completely rebuild models if they were to "last for ten years"
Yeah, that was a pretty jumpy statement from Kaz. He said that in 2010 before GT5's release, right? Pretty sure he didn't see PBR and HDR coming, then. Only just 4K, since you know, 4K monitors were actually around and in their infancy.

I honestly doubt its 100% redone. They probably had to redo ALL the textures due to the PBR pipeline ( you can't reuse old style textures ) and probably added details / rounded out polys but its not a 100% new model .

What makes you doubt it?

The cars in GT Sport is just stunning, i almost though they used real cars on the pictures in game, especially the headlights and taillights looks very real, but the cars looks more real and detailed overall :).

I'm happy PD took that decision, less cars, but better quality and they will continue to add cars in the future.

Last edited:
What makes you doubt it?
They are near identical. Im not denying it was touched up, but starting from scratch seems like a waste of cash when you can just build upon the existing wireframe. I think alot of folks don't understand virtual models are made up of hundreds of different parts.The wireframe which is basically the raw polygons were most definitely reused as this is the most time-consuming aspect of a 3d model. MMost GT 5/6 cars consisted of separate bumpers/chassis/ interiors/steering wheels/seats and headlights among other small trinkets. Polyphony is using a new physical-based rendering system ( rocks look like rocks, metal looks like metal/ tile looks like tile) meaning that old legacy TEXTURES and SHADERS can no longer be used without looking like arse . This means PD has to update every cars textures and shader. And im assuming they just improve the wireframe while they are at it. Having a designer redo the same car back to back seems idiotic.

I dont believe that. Better shader modell, and better antialiasing...thats it...
GT Sport cars are scanned with the best tech in the world. Kaz has said these models are more superior then any other models in the world. They are all new. Ill take his word over yours. Forza 7 and Pcars2 run on superior hardware and yet GT Sport car models look best even though Forza 7 actually has 4K textures and is native 4K. Its so disrespectful to call Kaz a liar, you guys are being ridiculous.

Four years of development: less than 200 cars knowing the gr.N/gr.4/gr.3/gr.B cars.
Four months post-launch: 50 new cars with no "duplicate".
Something has changed at Poly, maybe a new studio or the beginning of outsourcing. A month after the release, they can announce 50 new cars and a true career mode?!
My two cents: the Ueno Atelier is in charge of doing all the new premium cars from GT5/GT6.

"The Ueno Atelier is the newest Gran Turimso studio in Japan. This location was chosen because of its proximity to the Tokyo University of the Arts, where many of its students join the team on a part-time basis to receive valuable experience in their quests to become professional 3DCG artists."

It's such a shame that hardly anyone is going to see the quality that goes into these models, either not having a 4k HDR TV for the exterior colour and glory, or not having PSVR for the interior glory, the dash on the cobra in PSVR is perfection, the wood steering wheel and the reflective colour change on the rivets in the wood wheel rim are a thing of beauty that isn't duplicated on the TV in cockpit view. The carpet has a lot of depth too.

Back