GT Sport Will Feature in FIA's New International Motorsport Cup

Following an opening ceremony in Rome on October 31, all of the racing action takes place at the nearby Vallelunga Circuit on November 1-3 2019 — with the Digital Cup in the circuit’s conference center. This may hint at another circuit due to arrive in GT Sport, as holding the Grand Final of the Digital Cup at the same venue as the other disciplines would seem appropriate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACI_Vallelunga_Circuit

1024px-Autodromo_Vallelunga.svg.png

At least it is going to be different than the race of champions, and if pro drivers from like F1, FE, WEC, Blacpain, imsa, nascar, Indy car, touring cars etc. are allowed to enter than we will see who is the best racing driver when they are all on an equal playing field.

At least it is going to be different than the race of champions, and if pro drivers from like F1, FE, WEC, Blacpain, imsa, nascar, Indy car, touring cars etc. are allowed to enter than we will see who is the best racing driver when they are all on an equal playing field.
Each nation's own sporting authority - so the MSA here in the UK (or MUK, as it's now called) - will select the drivers. I don't know about the drifting, karting, F4 or TCR, but the GT Cup driver pairings must be FIA-certified bronze/bronze or bronze/silver.

Each nation's own sporting authority

National sporting authorities will be asked to supply teams for the games.

The GT3 event, which is open to silver and bronze-rated drivers only, and the TCR race will be limited to 24 cars, while there will be 20 spaces on the grid for the F4 event.

Drivers representing a country must hold a passport and a race licence issued in their home nation.

The Motorsport Games will also incorporate a slalom event for electric karts in which national teams made up of one male and one female aged between 14 and 16 will compete.

Links to the full articles here:
https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/olympics-style-fia-motorsport-games/4474622/
https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/cars-revealed-fia-motorsport-games/4500638/

National sporting authorities will be asked to supply teams for the games.

The GT3 event, which is open to silver and bronze-rated drivers only, and the TCR race will be limited to 24 cars, while there will be 20 spaces on the grid for the F4 event.

Drivers representing a country must hold a passport and a race licence issued in their home nation.

The Motorsport Games will also incorporate a slalom event for electric karts in which national teams made up of one male and one female aged between 14 and 16 will compete.

Links to the full articles here:
https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/olympics-style-fia-motorsport-games/4474622/
https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/cars-revealed-fia-motorsport-games/4500638/
Yes, that reiterates what I just said (although it's less clear on the driver ratings for GT3 event - a silver/silver pairing isn't permitted). Also, I wrote the article that created this thread.

FIA's own page on the Motorsport Games is here: https://www.fiamotorsportgames.com/categories

Its frustrating to have absolutely no idea how to influence getting "invited" in the UK

I fear the worst as a Manufacturer Series competitor that literally never touches the Nations Cup

But hey, I'll be 1 of the 2-3 Brits at the Salzburg World Tour, so that might count for something. I guess we'll see.

A little confused by the article, so is it a digital competition with he winners then taking part in real cars?!
No, it's six different motorsport competitions, of which digital racing is one.
Competitors will race in one of six motorsport categories, representing their nations. Each event will award gold, silver, and bronze medals, with an overall medal table to determine the winning country.

For the Motorsport Cup in 2019, the racing expands to cover four more real-world racing categories. Along with GT3, there’ll now also be TCR, Karting, Drifting and Formula 4 events. The latter competition will feature the new hybrid F4 cars, the first open-wheel hybrids outside of F1.

The sixth event takes place in the virtual world. This “Digital Cup” will feature GT Sport, using a live stage with 12 racing rigs, reminiscent of the official GT Sport FIA Online Championship World Tour events.
Think of the Olympics. Competitors don't have a pole vault competition to qualify for the equestrian events...
Its frustrating to have absolutely no idea how to influence getting "invited" in the UK
I was wondering the same thing. Not for myself though, natch :lol:

So not only you got to work slave hours to qualify to live events with no prospects of real prizes, but now they want to make people pay ? Yup, that's not gonna end well, unless the governing bodies take care of the costs.

So not only you got to work slave hours to qualify to live events with no prospects of real prizes, but now they want to make people pay ?
No. This isn't connected to the FIA-Certified GT Sport Online Championship in any way.
Yup, that's not gonna end well, unless the governing bodies take care of the costs.
I think it's likely that the motorsports organisations for each nation will cover the entry, travel and accommodation fees for its competitors in all six disciplines.

Well, both things are FIA events and run on GT Sport. It's not part of the series we run right now, but that's enough connection to me.

I'm interested to know what equipment they'll use for the digital cup setup...you think t-gt or will they try and go direct drive

I imagine doing well in FIA-Certified GT Sport Live Events gets you the profile and skillset for national motorsport organisations to select you though.
I'd also imagine that, although I'm not sure quite what the selection criteria would be for the single finalist per nation would be. I am looking forward to Germany and Turkey duking it out for @TRL LIGHTNING though :lol:
Well, both things are FIA events and run on GT Sport. It's not part of the series we run right now, but that's enough connection to me.
They are not, however, organised by the same people. Your speculation that "now they want to make people pay" is not accurate - "they" are not the same organisers so "they" do not "now" want to do anything of the sort.

FIAGTC will remain as it is. This is not FIAGTC, it's the Motorsport Games and - unlike FIAGTC - it appears to have an entry fee (which I'd imagine would be covered by the national sporting authority in question).

They are not, however, organised by the same people. Your speculation that "now they want to make people pay" is not accurate - "they" are not the same organisers so "they" do not "now" want to do anything of the sort.

I'm not speculating, they're introducing an entry fee for a live simracing event in which drivers won't get to represent their sponsors, again. I have not said I'm expecting the FIAGTC series to introduce such a fee, and I am not expecting it, but it still baffles me to have an entry fee for an event where driver sponsors get no visibility, when digital motorsports main interest is supposed to be being cheap. Sure it's likely that the bigger federations will cover the costs. It's also pretty much guaranteed that smaller federations will happily throw money into a dude they never heard about for a video game event, even though they don't even have a racetrack in their country.

I'm eagerly awaiting YouTubers making "VALLELUNGA CONFIRMED IN GT SPORT" content :lol:
*innocent whistle*
I'm not speculating, they're introducing an entry fee for a live simracing event in which drivers won't get to represent their sponsors, again.
There are entry fees for other disciplines within the Games as well - the karting event, for example, has a €500 per nation fee.
I have not said I'm expecting the FIAGTC series to introduce such a fee, and I am not expecting it
So why link the two like this:
So not only you got to work slave hours to qualify to live events with no prospects of real prizes, but now they want to make people pay ?
They are unconnected events. One is a Gran Turismo event with FIA certification, the other is an FIA event that uses Gran Turismo. Nobody now wants to make people pay for FIAGTC, and posting things like this which directly suggest otherwise is exactly how misinformation gets started and runs round the web with "according to GTPlanet".

Lets face it though, with it being a single entry, as long as @Aderrrm exists we're all knackered anyway :lol:

Its the same reason why none of the top brits do Nations anymore :lol:

There's still a spot for another UK guy in the top 10. :P

I've been wondering what the hell this event is all about and how it will work since it was announced. Even after this latest information, it's still even unclear how drivers are picked.

I worked for Gran Turismo on the FIA stand at Goodwood and heard one of the ladies working there mention the Games at one point, but she didn't sound entirely confident about what she was saying. I didn't ask about it but I wish I had now.

Jean Todt strolled in at one point. I wonder what his response would have been if I asked him if I could go to Rome. :lol:

Last edited:
My local body wants our candidate to fund the entire trip - so flights accommodation and transfers from NZ to Europe, and the entry fee. Yeah righto

My local body wants our candidate to fund the entire trip - so flights accommodation and transfers from NZ to Europe, and the entry fee. Yeah righto
Firstly, ahahahahaha, no.

Secondly, I'd guess that means you've been in contact with Confederation of Australian Motor Sport what with you being entirely Australian*. Do they* actually know what's going on then? If so, I suppose I'm having a chat with MUK on Monday.

*Little live commentary joke for y'all there. MotorSport New Zealand, obviously

Back