GT Sport World Tour 2020 Sydney

Best of luck to all the very talented folk who’ve earned the opportunity to compete in Sydney. It’s a beautiful city and I hope you all have a fantastic time in Australia. :D

It’s very foolish thing to hope, but the optimist in me says the final race would be a great opportunity to bring a new Australian track to the game.

Selfishly, I’d very much like that track to be “The Bend” Motorsport park. It was scanned by an unknown game maker around 18 months ago, and it fits the GT ethos perfectly.

Ahhhhh. A man can dream :embarrassed:

Edit: Found the post. Nearly 2 and a half years ago, and nothing has come of it in any other games, or “projects” from what I’ve seen. :odd:
ADCB3A46-DAC5-45F3-A0C8-A3B562B0874C.jpeg

Last edited:
How cool and interesting would it be to have The Bend circuit in Gran Turismo.

The Asian Le Mans Series is competing on the full 7.7km circuit this weekend. It really is like a rollercoaster. Would of course be great to have another Aussie track too.

In first practice LMP2’s are doing mid 2.30’s, GT3’s around 3.00 mark.

Qualifying is tomorrow and the race on Sunday.

Yes. Bring The Bend to Gran Turismo.

Large companies with competent employees don’t “accidentally” leak information on twitter and other social media.

Manufactured cheap way or creating hype without spending the buck on marketing and PR.

Yawn!

Large companies with competent employees don’t “accidentally” leak information on twitter and other social media.

Manufactured cheap way or creating hype without spending the buck on marketing and PR.

Yawn!
It wasn't on social media, it was in the news section of the company's own website.

It seems to be a mistakenly scheduled, incomplete news post (you can inspect the code on the Google cached item - there's a lot of missing media), dropped a week early - as the competition opens on January 17th - which is easily done if you have an underpaid, undertrained junior staff writer forced to use a dreadful CMS someone at corporate paid a lot of money for.

Edit: Apparently it's Drupal.

Last edited:
The earlier start and new location would lead me to believe the world tour will be longer this year then?

Great to see it grow, and I also have some small hope for a second Australian circuit, but hey the final has been at Monaco the last two years and we haven't had that yet so it's not really much of an indicator.

Oceania remains one of the least represented regions in the FIA GTC events, with just four drivers in the Nations Cup final

Isn't Oceania overrepresented, proportionally speaking? 4 drivers is a lot, if we look at the total number of players per region.

Good luck to everyone taking part in the first WT event!

Likely last season, 2019/2020 'Exhibition' Season 2. This current season ends 5 days before the event is supposed to happen. Not nearly enough time to sort all the winners and make the appropriate bookings.
Too bad the first race at Tokyo for that season upset me enough that I skipped the rest of the races. :P

This might be a sign of the resurgence of GMH (Holden, designers and builders of the Commodore/Chevy SS) and Ford Australia and maybe the inclusion of Chrysler Australia ("Hey Charger").

Before the release of GT5, Polyphony Digital had advertised that two Australian tracks would be in the game. That 'promise' was not forthcoming. Let's hope it finally comes to fruition within the next few months!

So far, the only representation Australia is getting is Mount Panorama, yet the rest of the world has more than enough in the way of both cars and circuits (real or not)!!

How freely are these events open to the public? IIRC some of them last year are strictly invites only, but there are some (NY?) that were open to general public? Depending on my schedule, I might just make a trip up north to see this. Who knows if the circus will ever come down under again in the future so this might be my only chance.

Isn't Oceania overrepresented, proportionally speaking? 4 drivers is a lot, if we look at the total number of players per region.

Good luck to everyone taking part in the first WT event!

If you ask me, Japan should be split into its own region and Oceania should be combined with the rest of the Asian countries. As it is, I can already tell you who's going to be the Oceania representative for this year. I mean these guys are quick, but it's almost automatic qualification just by virtue of being in Oceania (compared to say if they were to race in EMEA).

Disappointed that it's not in Melbourne
That would make a lot of sense too. Sydney is our biggest city, so they will potentially have an easier time drawing in a bigger crowd but at the same time the general Sydney population have shown time and time again that they just don’t care about motorsport (eg. the failure of the Homebush Supercars event and the on and off again races at Sydney Motorsport Park).

And while people are bringing up The Bend, don’t forget the Asian Le Mans Series is visiting the circuit this weekend with a 4 hour race tomorrow. The race will be broadcasted on Fox Sports/Kayo for my fellow Australians. Can’t wait to see some Prototype racing in the flesh!

Wow that’s so cool. I live in Brisbane and my sister lives in Sydney down the rd from the Opera House. I’d love to go and visit Kaz and see the GT tour. Also this might me wishful thinking but I’d love if we got an Australian Brand Central. Holden and Ford AUS would be amazing and V8 Supercars. Also I’ve always wanted Albert Park to come to GT so I can drive the Ultimate speed challenge. Could even do it in an online lobby. Always wanted to drive other cars besides F1 around there. Please KAZ, PD, Sony and AUS it’s a great opportunity to sell your brand. :D

How freely are these events open to the public? IIRC some of them last year are strictly invites only, but there are some (NY?) that were open to general public? Depending on my schedule, I might just make a trip up north to see this. Who knows if the circus will ever come down under again in the future so this might be my only chance.
Agreed. :)
Does anyone know for sure whether entry requirements (VIP, invite..) need to be met to gain entry to these events? Or can general public go along??
Would be a once in a life time opportunity to rub shoulders with some amazing people. :gtplanet: :)
And well worth the 8 hour+ drive for me to attend. Be an amazing weekend for sure. 👍

Back