GT Sport World Tour Nurburgring Cancelled, FIA Season Postponed to April

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 21 comments
Austria
Austria
EQ57TiFWAAAmN57.jpg

I think it's quite possible to keep the championships going. The whole series is based on GT Sport, which is a videogame. So the competitors can take part from their home. The commentators can do their thing and also Julia could do some show in the breaks. The only thing that it may be not that easy to get these things going at the same time and keep up the quality we are used to. The competitors would need to download the upcoming update earlier to provide the casual leak. Btw, since I don't know what machine is used at these events, there might be some hardware limitations I haven't thought about. :rolleyes:

I think it's quite possible to keep the championships going. The whole series is based on GT Sport, which is a videogame. So the competitors can take part from their home. The commentators can do their thing and also Julia could do some show in the breaks. The only thing that it may be not that easy to get these things going at the same time and keep up the quality we are used to. The competitors would need to download the upcoming update earlier to provide the casual leak. Btw, since I don't know what machine is used at these events, there might be some hardware limitations I haven't thought about. :rolleyes:
There'd be a massive limitation: latency. It simply wouldn't be possible to have players from North and South America, Asia, Europe, and Oceania playing together without huge amounts of lag - assuming PD uses the server in Tokyo, it would be impossible for the South Americas, and if it uses the more obvious one in Amsterdam it'd be hateful for the guys in Australia and New Zealand.

The WT events don't even use internet, for this reason and one other: control. The whole thing is on a LAN, because it is a completely controlled environment.

I don't think PD would use your solution because it would look awful and unprofessional.

However, as far as we know, the event is still on. There's two months to go and, assuming the border closures and travel bans ease, no huge visa issues to worry about with getting people and kit there. It's sensible to wait and see.

Last edited:
There'd be a massive limitation: latency. It simply wouldn't be possible to have players from North and South America, Asia, Europe, and Oceania playing together without huge amounts of lag - assuming PD uses the server in Tokyo, it would be impossible for the South Americas, and if it uses the more obvious one in Amsterdam it'd be hateful for the guys in Australia and New Zealand.

The WT events don't even use internet, for this reason and one other: control. The whole thing is on a LAN, because it is a completely controlled environment.

I don't think PD would use your solution because it would look awful and unprofessional.

However, as far as we know, the event is still on. There's two months to go and, assuming the border closures and travel bans ease, no huge visa issues to worry about with getting people and kit there. It's sensible to wait and see.
Well, that's why I don't work for them. :lol:
Thanks for the reply :gtpflag:

I’ve often wondered about this, thanks. Do they still use PS4’s or are they all hooked up to a big computer in studio?

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/202...he-future-championships-schedule/#sf231712344

We would like to announce that due to the situation with COVID-19 and the postponement of the Nurburgring 24-hour race event, we will not be hosting the Gran Turismo World Tour ‘Nurburging’ event previously scheduled for 22nd-23rd May 2020.

Additionally it has been decided that the Online Season due end with Rd.10 of Stage 1 on 18th-19th April (previously referred to as Stage 1) will be removed from the official rankings and henceforth referred to as an Exhibition Stage.

Furthermore, we will be changing the start of the official 2020 Series to 25th April.

On 25th April 2020, the 2020 FIA Gran Turismo Championship will officially start anew.

The Championship Overview page below will be updated with the details regarding the future championship structure and schedule (as well World Tour selection) as soon as details have been decided.

Thank you for enjoying Gran Turismo Sport.

I’ve often wondered about this, thanks. Do they still use PS4’s or are they all hooked up to a big computer in studio?
The players all use PS4s. I'm not wholly sure what they're linked to in race control, though I did sneak up to there during the Salzburg event in 2018 and saw a few more PS4 (Pro) consoles. I didn't see, but can't say that there isn't, any PC equipment.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/202...he-future-championships-schedule/#sf231712344

We would like to announce that due to the situation with COVID-19 and the postponement of the Nurburgring 24-hour race event, we will not be hosting the Gran Turismo World Tour ‘Nurburging’ event previously scheduled for 22nd-23rd May 2020.

Additionally it has been decided that the Online Season due end with Rd.10 of Stage 1 on 18th-19th April (previously referred to as Stage 1) will be removed from the official rankings and henceforth referred to as an Exhibition Stage.

Furthermore, we will be changing the start of the official 2020 Series to 25th April.

On 25th April 2020, the 2020 FIA Gran Turismo Championship will officially start anew.

The Championship Overview page below will be updated with the details regarding the future championship structure and schedule (as well World Tour selection) as soon as details have been decided.

Thank you for enjoying Gran Turismo Sport.
Posted on the front page a solid 10 hours ago.

The players all use PS4s. I'm not wholly sure what they're linked to in race control, though I did sneak up to there during the Salzburg event in 2018 and saw a few more PS4 (Pro) consoles. I didn't see, but can't say that there isn't, any PC equipment.

Posted on the front page a solid 10 hours ago.

Thanks very much for the info, it’s much appreciated. :cheers:

With all this cancellation and delay, and with a substantial number of people playing GTS right now due to the lockdowns, you know what would be great PR for PD?

Releasing an unplanned update in the next week or too as a "we know things are difficult for many people, here's a couple of cars and a few new GT League races which we are releasing early while people are staying at home, which we hope you will enjoy."

Even if they are just brought forward from the May update (not necessarily ones being left for GT Next), I'm sure it would get a positive reception.

As it stands now, no March update is coming I think (unless we get it on a Monday or Tuesday next week which would be pretty unusual?) and I personally suspect the next update was due to follow the cancelled Nurb event, including the new Mazda GT3 car.

I hope (fingers crossed) that by the time they release an update at end of May, the lockdown will be easing (atleast temporarily until the next wave) and the last place we will all want to be after 2 months will be at home!

Back