GT Sport's 2020 Updates to be "Modest", Three New Cars Coming Next Week

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 514 comments
Because it kinda is negative to resuse models to have such a huge quality gap on newer hardware compared to PS3's car models. It's hardly the same between the PS4 & PS5 when that gap is so much smaller.

When I said "better model consistency", I'm talking about the fact GT Sport right now at the very least doesn't use PS2 assets, leaving more consistent visuals across the board. Gran Turismo 6 (as much as I liked it), didn't have that. Oh for sure, I used some of those standards, but I would be lying to myself if I thought having them there was a good idea.

Also, while you having a point about GT Sport having some of its own issues with duplicates. They still are nothing in comparison to the 30 different NA Miatas, mult-regioned variants of Mitsubishi 3000GTs, multiple variations of R34 Skyline GT-Rs, or mutiple liveries of Super GT cars counting as different cars in GT6.

When there's 800 car models in a racing game that look like this;

While the other cars look like this:

Then there's a problem.
As I said before, I'll take fun over visual effects.

No, no, he has point. The article in question is supposed to be comedic, because the car in the article is a questionably modified Honda Accord wagon. Hardly a JDM legend. I think it's intentionally made to be misleading. But that image has definitely sparked my curiosity, as it's not just similar, it's the EXACT SAME style of the silhouette images. That is not a coincidence. In the top left corner you can make the words BL NK Media Group, so I decided to search for that and found the Facebook page which hasn't been active since mid 2014. They have done car photography, but I couldn't find the silhouette image anywhere. I have no idea where it came from, but it's definitely an 8 series. So it begs the question - have PD copied this style from BL NK Media Group, or have BL NK copied PD?

How would we know that considering we weren't provided a link... on said comment in this thread.

Me. The only reason why I'm on a Playstation is for GT. I also bought a Xbox 360 and One for the Forza Motorsport games back when they were good. (Xbox one versions not so much)

Exactly the same here, bought both my 360 and PS3 just for Forza and GT, but sold my Xbone almost right after i got bored of Forza 6, which was after a month or 2/3?
Still wanting to buy a secondhand PS4 just for GTSport though, but can't quite convince myself that it's worth it though, after the dissapointments that were Forza 5 and 6..

Must admit, the thing I did appreciate about GTS was lack of standards. At least all the models are more or less done to a high quality.
I'm just more of a Forza guy tbh even though GT was boss back in the late 90s and early 00s. The competition caught up and overtook them.

Turn10 made three games and helped a bit with FH franchise. Not 6 games like you suggested.

"Helped a bit" would certainly warrant saying they had a hand in creating (to one extent or another) 6 games.

Strange considering GT is one of Sony's most popular franchises.

You knows what's interesting? Majority of popular/requested cars could have been already added to the game, instead of other cars that got added and people would be more satisfied, including myself. Some of modern GT3/GTE cars, 2 or 4 more GT500 cars, the trio of late 90s GT1 cars, perhaps bit of some 2000s LMP cars, maybe some iconic race cars from older GT games, like Escudo, Chapparal 2J etc. Road cars like LFA, Carrera GT etc. Well, you get the idea. All this or most of it could have already been added, instead of cars like Tundra, Raptor, Fiat 500, Honda Fit, Clio, Sambabus and many more.

I myself don't mind having these types of cars in the game, I like to drive all kinds of cars. But if they started adding these cars later on or maybe in next game, it would have been better, wouldn't it? I wouldn't even be disappointed by current situation of less frequent updates, if they already added those cars I mentioned.

The DLC model of GT and PD as a whole have been very generous. Free cars and tracks every couple of weeks is great, but I think that people can still have quabbles over why their favourite car or track has been overlooked. I'm glad that the updates are free and thankful for the post launch support, but that doesn't mean I have to like the fact we're getting a slow fiat 500, more so when we already have the abarth, when I can think of dozens of cars that would get better use.

You knows what's interesting? Majority of popular/requested cars could have been already added to the game, instead of other cars that got added and people would be more satisfied, including myself. Some of modern GT3/GTE cars, 2 or 4 more GT500 cars, the trio of late 90s GT1 cars, perhaps bit of some 2000s LMP cars, maybe some iconic race cars from older GT games, like Escudo, Chapparal 2J etc. Road cars like LFA, Carrera GT etc. Well, you get the idea. All this or most of it could have already been added, instead of cars like Tundra, Raptor, Fiat 500, Honda Fit, Clio, Sambabus and many more.
Yeah but we're still lacking something; rally cars. I mean I'd appreciate if we had more of them in the game.

I've been refreshing my knowledge of the Nissan 180SX, which everyone expects with this update. What an overcomplicated naming strategy this car had globally...

180SX - Japanese market name for Silvia S13 fastback
200SX - European market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14.
240SX - North American market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14 (240SX not to be confused with Datsun 240Z)

In Japan the Nissan Silvia S14 replaced the Silvia S13, but the fastback S13 (180SX) survived to coexist alongside the new S14, whereas in Europe and North America the S13 fastback was replaced entirely by the S14, but carrying on with fastback's SX nameplates. Finally, the 180SX and Silvia were sold at different JDM-only sub-outlets of Nissan dealerships - Bluebird and Prince.

My brain is now fried.
I confused my dad about this very issue. In Australia, we got the 200SX but the nameplate was given to the S14 and the S15 Silvia. The car that I call the S13 Silvia wasn't called a 200SX but the fastback was. So, in my mind, the S13, S14 and S15 are Silvias, whilst the 200SX is the S13 fastback.

Because it kinda is negative to resuse models to have such a huge quality gap on newer hardware compared to PS3's car models. It's hardly the same between the PS4 & PS5 when that gap is so much smaller.

When I said "better model consistency", I'm talking about the fact GT Sport right now at the very least doesn't use PS2 assets, leaving more consistent visuals across the board. Gran Turismo 6 (as much as I liked it), didn't have that. Oh for sure, I used some of those standards, but I would be lying to myself if I thought having them there was a good idea.

Also, while you having a point about GT Sport having some of its own issues with duplicates. They still are nothing in comparison to the 30 different NA Miatas, mult-regioned variants of Mitsubishi 3000GTs, multiple variations of R34 Skyline GT-Rs, or mutiple liveries of Super GT cars counting as different cars in GT6.

When there's 800 car models in a racing game that look like this;
Suzuki_ALTO_WORKS_SUZUKI_SPORT_LIMITED_%2797.jpg

While the other cars look like this:
Celica.jpg

Then there's a problem.
PD's decision to put standard and premium models into GT5 and 6 is still one of the stupidest design choices ever. No other game had such a large distinction in model quality. Yes, I know Forza didn't have consistent quality either but it was harder to notice. For the PS3 generation of GT games, the gulf in quality was soo obvious to the point where it was laughable. So think about this: GT Sport is the first GT since GRAN TURISMO 4 to have consistent model quality. It's better that way.

I think PD are saving a new roster of FIA track cars for GT7. New GT3/4 cars do not happen frequently, and so if they were to have had them in this game, there might not be enough new FIA cars for the next game.

Some of y’all take this driving game a little too serious

It's because people are passionate about the Gran Turismo brand and driving/gaming on general. I included want to see PD have great sales and the GT brand to thrive so I think people are just trying to make positive suggestions for the future. Regurgitating cars from previous games is a bit sad though, we already have a Fiat 500 and the classic 500, unless the DBR9 goes in Gr2 then we already have an Aston in Gr3 (sure a new ones is nice but still) and the old Nissan base model Nissan doesn't float my boat either it would if we couldn't customise bodywork more. They're supported the game for free for over 2 years now so I'm more than thankful for that so it isn't the right thing time for DLC to slow and then to focus on GT7. I would bet my A S rank it wouldn't be released in 2020 though it took them 3 years after PS4 launch to realise GT sport..

There's a server maintenance notice scheduled for 27th February 06:00 - 08:00 UTC which is normally indicative of the updates arrival after Kaz has tweeted the silhouettes.

As for the psn pictures of the cars, we haven't seen those yet, but I would expect them to appear later today/tonight
👍:cheers:

Three new cars but no new tracks. Among them is the Aston Martin DBR9 GT1 in which I desire the most. The Lamborghini VGT is still to come in a month or two.

I myself don't mind having these types of cars in the game, I like to drive all kinds of cars. But if they started adding these cars later on or maybe in next game, it would have been better, wouldn't it? I wouldn't even be disappointed by current situation of less frequent updates, if they already added those cars I mentioned.

Bingo. Why do we need 2 basically identical Clios and 4 identical 86/BRZs? Keep one of each and put in the LFA, XJ220, 488 GT3, and dealers choice, and even that would calm a great majority of complaints.

What? How have they failed exactly? I would say the post-launch support has been excellent thus far.

They cannot fix the penalty system and a host of other bugs/nonsensical things. Not to mention the "free" updates contain car packs that are completely out of touch of the actual motorsport world.

I have underlined "cannot" because this is very important. PD have tried multiple times to address several fundamental issues and failed for a prolonged period. Some other issues I suspect are very low priority so they don't bother their arse with them.

This far from excellent. PD do not, and have never excelled at after release support. That is an indisputable fact.

They cannot fix the penalty system and a host of other bugs/nonsensical things. Not to mention the "free" updates contain car packs that are completely out of touch of the actual motorsport world.
Due to GT Sport and the FIA Championships/World Tours, I feel this will change.

Mazda, with wanting players to choose their GT3 VGT, The Toyota partnership, the Porsche partnership, Michelin partnership. PDI don't work in the time frame/speed many of us would like, but that looks to be changing as well. They're hiring of social media, AI programmers, UI, modellers, outsourcing, etc. Releasing cars for DLC once completed.

Again, it's not in a time frame many would like, compared to other games.

Manufacturers/brands are taking notice. The continued push by Isdera to be in the game, Fittipaldi(who saw that coming?) is in the game, Jaguar VGT, RUF is back in, Lambo VGT is still coming.

Regarding motorsport, GTS is lacking cars from this year and last couple years, but we have a new series in Super Formula. FormulaE is coming at some point. These are both relevant race series, in touch with the world today.

Think about it, what other console racing games and racing games other than GT, innovate like what PDI have done for the automotive world, in the past 22 years?

Back