GT Sport's New Wet Tokyo Track is Coming in the Next Four Weeks

I'm not world class with respect to lap times, but I must express doubt with this claim. I suspect most IRL racers use extra-track features. These features are useful for gaining sight lines for the purpose of better establishing braking zones & for determining turn in while navigating either high speed blind corners (view can be compromised also because of traffic) or for long wide high radius sweepers, like on an oval. I would agree that their usefulness is less in a 2D environment like GTS, but I still appreciate whatever perspective that I an absorb.

I would expect lap times at day/night tracks like Circuit de le Sarthe or Daytona International Speedway to bear this out, driver & car fatigue notwithstanding.
I think he means "computer" performance, not lap time.
IRL night is often cooler, which reduce tire grip and tire wear, but increase downforce grip, and improve engine cooling.

I don't really see the point of night racing in games because environment looks less pretty, and it's more tiring for the eyes.
It's only nice IRL because you see the glowing discbrakes, the flames, and it makes some superb panning shots.
But that's just my opinion

Last edited:
IRL night is often cooler, which reduce tire grip and tire wear, but increase downforce grip, and improve engine cooling.

Wow, did I blow that. :dunce: Yes, less to see means less to display.

I didn't think about lower air temperature & greater air density positively affecting DF & engine power. I suppose brake cooling & performance also would be enhanced; a tasty challenge on a dewy 4AM stint on cold tires.

Thanks for the lesson, I'll shut up now. :indiff:

Its funny because I feel like some people forget what the meaning of "coming in a future update" means. :lol:
Ofcourse getting wet conditions on a track is always a plus for me so I am definately looking forward to Tokyo in the wet.
Deciding on which track wet weather should be implimented is a different story and I am sure people would prefer some other circuits to get wet weather conditions first, but I mean atleast its showing that PD is still implimenting wet conditions to curent tracks right? 💡

I think there is a big difference on rendering a night track depending on the location of the course. Willow Springs night probably wouldn't take much, but a stadium track like Northern Isle with multiple sources of light overlapping would be more demanding. I think there was a related GTP article on this.

Also this looks like the first Playstation that won't get two main series Gran Turismo games so any predictions based on the fact PD never releases GT as a launch title is out of the window. We would usually be expecting one more GT game around now at the end of the consoles life which looks unlikely, making GT7 as a launch title or soon after more possible. But PD are anything but predictable and the PS5 hasn't even been announced yet.

Its funny because I feel like some people forget what the meaning of "coming in a future update" means. :lol:
Ofcourse getting wet conditions on a track is always a plus for me so I am definately looking forward to Tokyo in the wet.
Deciding on which track wet weather should be implimented is a different story and I am sure people would prefer some other circuits to get wet weather conditions first, but I mean atleast its showing that PD is still implimenting wet conditions to curent tracks right? 💡
I assume they have applied the same rain tech to every track. But we’re getting the circuits they’ve polished and locked at 60fps. It will be very interesting to see which variations have wet versions. Tokyo is quite different to other tracks. As the differing layouts have quite different trackside scenery.

We also have to remember PD will have a 12-18 month DLC roadmap. That roadmap will be designed to maximise sales, interest, all while keeping within PD’s work schedule. Before Christmas we could get Spa, Silverstone and Grand Valley. It’s just frustrating not knowing much beyond one month ahead.

Gt7 wont be a launch title. Gran Turismo was never a launch title.

Kaz himself knows that GT should never be rushed.

They could just rebrand sport with more weather effects and a real time day/night cycle. Same cars and tracks.

I’m actually really pleased to see a wet Tokyo circuit.

In my opinion, with PD’s decision to have non-dynamic weather and track evolution in the game, having a wet racing circuit like RBR really does nothing for me. All they’ve done is add reflections to the road surface, and dialled back the grip multipliers a bit. As far as adding another dimension to race strategy and whatnot, the wet RBR layout do nothing for me (especially after having played other games that do have dynamic weather, “dry lines”, dynamic water that flows and pools where it should, etc).

Tokyo, on the other hand, I spend more time cruising and “Wangan” racing on. In those activities, I’m not too fussed about things like dynamic track evolution, and am more keen to see graphical and environmental changes that increase my immersion. I really hope there’s a wet version of Tokyo set at night, that would be really cool.

Also, I love racing around the Tokyo circuits too. Central is a little cramped, but South and East are awesome. It’s not the tracks that suck, it’s the drivers :sly:

I think there is a big difference on rendering a night track depending on the location of the course. Willow Springs night probably wouldn't take much, but a stadium track like Northern Isle with multiple sources of light overlapping would be more demanding. I think there was a related GTP article on this

Well there is night time for Northern Isle,their light engine is top of the class but it seems to be very complex to use,they cant seem to put all light conditions in all tracks.

Well there is night time for Northern Isle,their light engine is top of the class but it seems to be very complex to use,they cant seem to put all light conditions in all tracks.
In a way, it’s really weird that PD’s lighting engine is very good, but the physics engine is not very good. One would think that, big picture, things like light and gravity would use the same engine.

I bet that September will have Tokyo Expressway wet (at least for East, but hopefully for all layouts like they did for RBR), as the article has stated, and then Spa will come October with the Michelin update, the Porsche Taycan, and whatever else they have planned for October. (It's almost like it's a 2nd anniversary celebration in all but name, with all this content being slated for October...) Then we'll start seeing FIAGTC races set at Spa potentially as early as November 6th, as we only have the races for the first season of the 2019/20 Exhibition Series listed so far, which AFAIK ends on November 2nd.

Really enjoy South Outer loop layout and hope this part gets wet conditions too. Unfortunately for me, not much, like no one else enjoy to race at Tokyo. Almost forgot when I saw a lobby with this track, not to mention sport mode.

I dont want it to be like gt5 where people waited years for it. Gt7 is better off not being a launch title because it will be rushed for the release of ps5.
Why would it take longer when Sony is making a much powerful console that has a hardware which isn't as complicated as the one in the PS3?

Why would it take longer when Sony is making a much powerful console that has a hardware which isn't as complicated as the one in the PS3?

Yeah, seriously. I think we definitely should consider that just because a game is released when a console is launched, doesn't mean that it's rushed. Especially since GT7 has been in the works since at least around 2013, and that PD has had tons of expansion done with additional offices being established, and that they've been outsourcing some of the models, and that these models will likely need very few adjustments to be brought up to PS5 standards. I'd imagine PD takes an approach to their car models somewhat similar to how GameFreak makes a very high-poly model of a Pokemon, then adjusts it to fit within the hardware's constraints.

Yeah, seriously. I think we definitely should consider that just because a game is released when a console is launched, doesn't mean that it's rushed. Especially since GT7 has been in the works since at least around 2013, and that PD has had tons of expansion done with additional offices being established, and that they've been outsourcing some of the models, and that these models will likely need very few adjustments to be brought up to PS5 standards. I'd imagine PD takes an approach to their car models somewhat similar to how GameFreak makes a very high-poly model of a Pokemon, then adjusts it to fit within the hardware's constraints.
I'm not sure if you get what I mean or what but what I'm trying to point out here is that GT7 shouldn't take 4 years after the PS5 comes out, unlike the case with the PS3 and GT5 a long time ago. Hopefully, that wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure if you get what I mean or what but what I'm trying to point out here is that GT7 shouldn't take 4 years after the PS5 comes out, unlike the case with the PS3 and GT5 a long time ago. Hopefully, that wouldn't happen.

I’m agreeing that it shouldn’t take too long after the PS5’s launch for the next GT game to also be released.

I'm sure it will look nice but it will highlight the terrible collision physics and penalty system even more than Tokyo East already does

Wow, did I blow that. :dunce: Yes, less to see means less to display.

I didn't think about lower air temperature & greater air density positively affecting DF & engine power. I suppose brake cooling & performance also would be enhanced; a tasty challenge on a dewy 4AM stint on cold tires.

Thanks for the lesson, I'll shut up now. :indiff:
Temperature, and it’s effects in air properties, is a massive part of going fast.

At a super speedway like Indianapolis, Daytona, Pocono, or Talladega, even something like a cloud putting shade over one corner of the track has a big impact on car performance and handling, from one corner to the next.

Track temp is a funny thing. What is “too hot” or “too cold” really depends on the car being driven, and the specific tires being driven on. In cars that produce significant downforce, once the tires are up to working temp, there is rarely track conditions that are “too cold”. This is because the downforce of the car can put enough energy through the tires that, regardless of ambient and track temps, the tires reach their operating window. With racecars that use tire blankets and tire ovens, this is even less of an issue. Cars with low downforce, or sometimes FWD cars, can sometimes have trouble getting tires in the operating window (rear tires in the case of FWD). This doesn’t happen very often (there are some specifics scenarious where things like “cold graining” can happen, but again, that’s pretty rare).

Too hot, on the other hand, happens allllll the time. Ambient temp goes up, track temp goes up, which causes the tires to over heat. Over heated tires get too soft, which in turn causes upsets in the balance of the car when weight is transferred. They also begin to wear excessively when they get too hot.

Then, you add on the fact that engine performance increases in cooler weather (denser air means more oxygen, and engines tend to run more efficiently when they are cooler). On top of that, denser air produces more downforce.

In endurance racing, particularly in 24hour events (or something like that Bathurst 12 hr that starts in the morning in the dark), there is a window that is known as “magic hour”. This is typically when the fastest laps of the race are recorded. Generally, this tends to occur early early in the morning, just after the sun has come up. The drivers have full confidence to push with the brighter light, but ambient and track temps are at their lowest, meaning the tires have the most grip, engine is producing peak power, and downforce is optimal. At a circuit like the Daytona roval layout, which is lit very well at night, it’s not uncommon for the fastest laps of the race to be recorded at night.

I know that in Japan, most of the Time Attack circuit records are set in the winter - Tsukuba’s main Time Attack event happens sometime in Jan or Feb. These guys use blankets and ovens to get the tires up to temp, but they want to cold weather for the extra HP and downforce.

I don't really see the point of night racing in games because environment looks less pretty, and it's more tiring for the eyes.
It's only nice IRL because you see the glowing discbrakes, the flames, and it makes some superb panning shots.
But that's just my opinion
For replays though. ;)

In a way, it’s really weird that PD’s lighting engine is very good, but the physics engine is not very good. One would think that, big picture, things like light and gravity would use the same engine.

Kaz is a photography nerd so he knows exactly how he wants the game to look.
Physics engine is something else entirely.I dont think the physics and light engine are the same thing,different tech for different stuff.GTA 5 has beautiful lightning but that doesnt translate to the car physics.

For replays though. ;)
You still have less track side detail because you cant see everything like you can in day time.Its a common thing for devs to put fog and other stuff to mask a poor draw distance GTA San Andreas used motion blur to hide texture loading in the distance.
I thought the same principle would apply to gtsports night conditions,maybe not...

Kaz is a photography nerd so he knows exactly how he wants the game to look.
Physics engine is something else entirely.I dont think the physics and light engine are the same thing,different tech for different stuff.GTA 5 has beautiful lightning but that doesnt translate to the car physics.

You still have less track side detail because you cant see everything like you can in day time.
It's like real life. Dang near makes no sense watching Nurb 24 and Le Mans on tv at night. Add a rainy night and pretty impossible to tell what car is what with headlight glare. That's part of reality.

It's like real life. Dang near makes no sense watching Nurb 24 and Le Mans on tv at night. Add a rainy night and pretty impossible to tell what car is what with headlight glare. That's part of reality.
I watched part of this year's 24h of SPA on tv. The day, the only moment you could tell which car was which, was during safety car period. The night you could just see lights moving in clouds of rain. It felt like wasted time.

I don't know if I would do more than one lap of a night+heavy rain condition in the game. Is it even fun ?

Those wet variations track let me think that we cannot have high expectations than 1 or 2 more tracks for this game

Let's hope they don't just drop new wet track variations in the next few updates without an actual new track. I am not that bothered even if it's not Spa but would love a new real world track of some sorts, wasn't there supposed to be a new to the franchise track rumoured some time ago?

Back