GT World Championship in Mazda 787B

• Thread starter torque998
  • 33 comments
I originally said in Mr.Slow's GT World Championship race report that I was going to try this championship in the Nissan R390. However, once I read his GT All-Stars thread, I decided to use a Group C car. One even slower than the XJR-9. In the end, I decided to use the Mazda 787B(stock, w/oil change, R3 tires, no tuning).

The Lineup
1. Minolta Toyota 88C-V
2. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd
3. Nissan R92CP
4. Pescarolo Courage C60
5. Audi R8
6. Mazda 787B(me)

Race 1: Tokyo Route 246
Qualified: 1st
Finished: 1st
M.O.V. 30 secs
Starting from the pole, I dropped back to second as the R92CP passed me at the start. I eventually passed him back at turn 3 before the baseball stadiums. From there it was smooth sailing as the R92CP and 88C-V pitted at lap 9. As you might guess, this hurt the two, as everyone, including me stayed out for the duration of the race.

Standings after Race 1
1. Mazda 787B: 10 pts
2. Audi R8: 6 pts
3. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 4 pts
4. Pescarolo Courage C60: 3 pts
5. Nissan R92CP: 2 pts
6. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 1 pt

Race 2: Motegi Super Speedway
Qualified: didn't
Finished: 4th
M.O.V Loss by 8 secs
Starting from the back, I quickly overtook the two Pescarolos and Audi and started reeling in the R92CP and 88C-V. But, they were too fast in the beginning and the R92CP even started pulling away. However, by lap 11, my tires were in full swing and I overtook the two and even started pulling away from them. The R92CP and 88C-V pitted at lap 14, allowing me to put them a lap down. I pitted on lap 16, but the two Pescarolos and the R8 passed me while I was in the pits and stayed out for the duration of the race. So in the end, I finished 4th, and the Audi took the points lead.

Standings after Race 2
1. Audi R8: 16 pts
2. Mazda 787B: 13 pts
3. Pescarolo Courage C60: 9 pts
4. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 8 pts
5. Nissan R92CP: 4 pts
6. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 2 pts

Race 3: Hong Kong
M.O.V. 35 secs

This is one of the two races everyone here complains about. However, I, fully confident because I've run this race for fun a lot, decided not to qualify. So, starting from the back, I slowly overtook the Pescarolo Courage at the hairpin and later overtook the R8 and Pescarolo Judd on the neon straight and under the parking garage and slowly reeled in the R92CP and 88C-V. I eventually passed them on the front stretch at the end of lap 4. By the middle of lap 8, my rear tires were just about toast, so I pitted in early and changed the rears to Racing: Hard.
I came out of the pits in second place, but fell to third, as the R92CP shoved me aside at the prominade. I struggled to back on pace, but got my break when the R92CP and 88C-V headed to the pits on lap 10. From there it was a piece of cake, as the Pescarolo Judd and R8 pitted on lap 13, and the Pescarolo Courage pitted on lap 14 and I reclaimed the points lead. This race was the highest finish for the 88C-V and R92CP so far, but it didn't help them in the points too much.

Standings After Race 3
1. Mazda 787B: 23 pts
2. Audi R8: 18 pts
3. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 11 pts
4. Pescarolo Courage C60: 10 pts
5. Nissan R92CP: 8 pts
6. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 8 pts

Race 4: Seoul Central Reverse
M.O.V.
36 secs

Not much to report on this race. 88C-V and R92CP pitted on lap 15, I pitted on lap 16, the R8 and both Pescarolos stayed out the entire race.

Race 5: El Capitan
Finished 1st
M.O.V 1 min, 6 secs

A bad standing start put me in 2nd behind the R92CP, but that wouldn't last long as I overtook the R92CP at the sand surrounded corners. From there, I was home free. I pitted on lap 7, the 88C-V and R92CP pitted on lap 8, and the R8 and Pescarolo Judd pitted on lap 10. The Pescarolo Courage stayed out the entire race.

Standings after halfway
1. Mazda 787B: 43 pts
2.(tie) Audi R8: 20 pts
Pescarolo Courage C60: 20 pts
4.(tie) Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 17 pts
Nissan R92CP: 17 pts
6. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 13 pts

Race 6: New York
M.O.V. 1 min 9 secs

This was another race that I always did for fun. So didn't feel the need to qualify.
Starting from the back, I overtook the Pescarolo Courage after the first hairpin and passed the R8 and Pescarolo Judd at the first right hander after the 7th avenue straight. I eventually overtook the R92CP and 88C-V at the Grand Army chicane. I lead from there, pitting on lap 8, after my rear tires were just about toast. The 88C-V and R92CP both pitted on lap 9, the R8 pitted on lap 12, and both Pescarolos pitted on lap 14.

Standings after Race 6
1. Mazda 787B: 53 pts
2. Pescarolo Courage C60: 22 pts
3.(tie) Audi R8: 21 pts
Nissan R92CP: 21 pts
5. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 20 pts
6. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 19 pts

I will update this after each race.

Race 7: Opera Paris Reverse
M.O.V. 3 secs

This was another race I heard horror stories about, and this time, I didn't have the practice that I had with Hong Kong, so I felt it was necessary to qualify. This turned out to be the race of the series. I pulled away from the competition at first, but my rear tires wore away qucikly, so I came into the pits early at lap 7 and changed the rears to Racing: Hard. I came back out with the 88C-V right on my tail, but was able to hold him off, as he pitted on lap 9. The R92CP pitted one lap after the 88C-V. As for the rest of the field, both Pescarolos and the R8 all pitted on lap 12. However, even on Racing: Hard Tires, my rears wore away to the point where I had to pit again. I ended up pitting on lap 17 and came out with 88C-V on my tail again. I barely held him off and manged to finish first.

Standings after Race 7
1. Mazda 787B: 63 pts
2. (tie) Nissan R92CP: 25 pts
MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 25 pts
4. Pescarolo Courage C60: 24 pts
5. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 23 pts
6. Audi R8: 22 pts

Race 8: Suzuka
M.O.V. 15 secs

This was another course I knew pretty well, since I ran the 1000km race last weekend. But I found out that LMP's and Group C's do not like this course while I was qualifying. Twice, I went off and was unable to secure pole position. The race started with me at the back and was just as sloppy as qualifying. I quickly overtook the Pescarolos at the first corner and the R8 in the esses and eventually passed the R92CP at the Dunlop Curve and the 88C-V at Degner Curve. He tried to block me, but ended up going into the sand and fell to 3rd behind me and the R92CP. But my lead wouldn't last long. I ended up going off into the sand at Spoon Curve and fell all the way back to last. I was able to catch a draft from the Pescarolo Courage and passed him at the Casio Triangle, and shortly after I passed the R8 at the last curve, then the Pescarolo Judd at the first and second curve after the straight. the 88C-V was my next target, as I passed him at the esses. Now all that stood between me and a comeback was the R92CP. I quickly reeled him in at Degner Curve, but failed to overtake. I reeled him in even more at the hairpin and shortly after took the lead back at 200R. Degner was my main trouble spot here, as I went off there twice and one of them almost cost me my lead. But I lead from there, pitting on lap 6 with the 88C-V. The R92CP stayed out another lap and passed me upon exiting the pits. But I could tell his rear tires were wearing out because he was sliding all over the place. He got a decent lead, though, so I couldn't overtake him until 200R. He pitted that lap, putting me in the lead for good. The R8 and both Pescarolos stayed out for the entire race.

Standings after Race 8
1. Mazda 787B: 73 pts
2. Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 29 pts
3.(tie) Pescarolo Courage C60: 27 pts
MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 27 pts
5. (tie) Audi R8: 26 pts
Nissan R92CP: 26 pts

Race 9: Grand Valley Reverse
M.O.V.
45 secs

Right at the start, the 88C-V shot right to the front of the pack. His lead wouldn't last long, though, as I passed him for the lead at the first chicane. I lead for the rest of the way, pitting on lap 6, lost the lead to the 88C-V upon exiting, but got it back as he pitted on lap 7. The R92CP was not a real threat. He pitted on lap 8, one lap after the 88C-V. The Pescarolos and R8 pitted on lap 10.

Standings after race 9
1. Mazda 787B: 83 pts

2. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 33 pts
3.(tie) Nissan R92CP: 30 pts
Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 30 pts
5.(tie) Audi R8: 29 pts
Pescarolo Courage C60: 29 pts

Race 10: Circuit de la Sarthe I
M.O.V.
37 secs

This is one of my favorite tracks in the game. Becuase I ran the 24 hr race here many times, I didn't feel the need to qualify. From the start, the 88C-V and R92CP slingshot right to the front, leaving everyone else behind. As for me, I overtook the Pescarolo Courage at the Dunlop Chicane and the R8 and Pescarolo Judd on the Muslanne straight. The R92CP would get overtaken on the 2nd chicane on the straight, but the 88C-V wouldn't be passed until Arnage. From there, I was home free, never pitting and never looking back at the sruggling opposition. The 88C-V would pit on lap 3 and he would pay for it with a last place finish. The rest of the field didn't pit and they would pay for it as well. The R92CP spun out at Arnage, whcih caused a circus, allowing me to stretch out my lead.

Final Results
1. Mazda 787B: 93 pts

2. Audi R8: 35 pts
3.(tie) Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd: 34 pts
MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V: 34 pts
5. Nissan R92CP: 33 pts
6. Pescarolo Courage C60: 31 pts

250,000 cr. for the championship and a nice Ford GT LM Spec II waiting in my garage as well.

Nice!
It seems that you drew a more balanced field . You had the series won by end of race 7 (win one 3 pointer). I had to do race 8 ( with 8 wins) before I could claim the series as 'won'.

Out of curiosity:
1. What was the a-spec points given (per race)? Seeing that I don't own the 787 I can't check myself.
2. How much slower than the Bentley you'd say the 787 is?
3. Not that is a perfect comparison but what sort of lap time you do with the 787 on Sarthe II?

I found it interesting that you had trouble with Opera Paris since you were using harder tires. You got a bigger MOV in all the other races (xcept motegi) than I did with the Speed 8.

Answers for Mr.Slow's questions:
1. I got about 76 A-Spec points for each race
2. I'd say the 787B is a lot slower than the Bentley. It only tops out at 218
3. I managed a 3:15 lap time at La Sarthe I, but I've never driven it at La Sarthe II, so I can't really say.

Nice write-up. I enjoyed reading it. But if you really want to make it intersting, try using a stock minolta. I did and only won by 8 points.

Hey Ram-Rod, if a stock 787B crushed them, a stock "Minolta" (actually the 88C-V, I don't get why everyone calls it by its sponsor) would absolutely obliterate them.

Nicely done torque998!!! :cheers: (Both the Races & the Write-Up!) Looks to me like you're ready to use a JGTC500 ride for this series 👍 ...O.G. :D

torque998
1. I got about 76 A-Spec points for each race
3. I managed a 3:15 lap time at La Sarthe I, but I've never driven it at La Sarthe II, so I can't really say.

Thanks mate. 76 points does not seem like much more then the 62 i got for the Bentley considering you seemed to get a more balanced lineup. I got the Gillete and the CLK which took turns at seen who could be lapped the most. But then again a-spec points calculation is a bit of a black art!

torque998

Maybe in a straight line - but in every test i have done over anything more than a few laps, the 787Beeee is about the quickest stock (ie no turbos whacked on) LMP/group C in the game. in all the sarthe I&II 24h enduros (and i have done about 18 of them now) it will almost always come in second beating pretty much everything except sometimes the Sauber C9. In comparison, the bentley is slow as a wet week. The 787 tends to get very good tire wear and great acceleration out of corners despite its slightly lower HP.

My guess would be that in stock trim the C9 is quickest, then 787B, then r92, then 88c-v then probably the R8. Others' experiences may vary, but that is about what i have observed. Whacking on stage 4 turbos changes the balance.

Mileage does vary :-) My test at Sarthe II shows the order to be R92C,R8, Speed 8,88C-V,R89C,XJR-9 (Don't have the C9 or the 787). But since I recorded only 2.3 seconds difference betwee the 92c and the XJR-9 it is completely possible that one or two corners taken differently could change the order.

I do agree on the tire wear for the 787, every time I have raced against it, it seems to stay on the track a lot longer than others.

sorry, by comparisons - i meant over a full 24hrs - hence slow as a wet week tends to mean a few laps down.

My testing is based on the results i have observed having done the races. the 88c-v is a weird one and its performance tends to vary from staying with the front runners to finishing a few laps down.

by the sounds you are part way thru the F1 comp (a tad easy - ended up b-specing it as got boring) so the C9 will be yours in no time. key to getting cratchit home here is first getting a nice setup, then just switching to 4 on blue tires and then 3 on greens. some corners need extra care (laguna seca i chagne to 2 after corkscrew till final corner, then 4 all the way back to the corkscrew. Oh and on the 'ring don't be afraid to pit every lap.

I see. I usually don't pay much attention to the order of the AI in the series because the AI seems to drive each car differently. Sometimes you can't shake him on a particular car and the next time in a re-run of the the same race he drives the same car into the ditch every turn. There is always a strong AI car though.

Yes, I finished race 3 of the F1 series this morning. Taking a break during the day and may run one or one and a half races tonite. The first race was hectic as I had never raced with the F1 since winning it (Cratchit drove it at Sarthe I) but now there is a bit of boredom setting in. I have read a few threads about putting ballast to make it more challenging and get more A-spec points. I didn't care about the a-spec points until I realized I will be at 70% by the time I am done with this series. So I have caught myself wondering what to do next once I get to 100% (Maybe end of August..) and I keep thinking about going back and getting more a-spec points. So I am not sure what to do for the rest of this series (ballast or b-spec)

never bothered much about a spec points - i guess i preferred the game when it created the challenges by matching you in even contests rather than having to manufacture the challenges myself. maybe i have just got a lot better than when i was going thru GT1 and GT2 games, but i am finding fewer and fewer rewarding challenges. barring a few of the missions gt4 was long but pretty easy.

Mr.Slow
Thanks mate. 76 points does not seem like much more then the 62 i got for the Bentley considering you seemed to get a more balanced lineup. I got the Gillete and the CLK which took turns at seen who could be lapped the most. But then again a-spec points calculation is a bit of a black art!

What tires did you have on the Bentley?

If he had run R1s on the 787B, he would have had ~135p.

I did the Gran Turismo Championship recently, and actually found it to be very easy. I used a stock 88C-V, but put R1s on it to even things out a bit.
I didn't, although probably should have, forsee the fact that this made it still easier, due to the fact that not only was the strongest AI car another 88C-V running on R3s and thus pitting far more often than me, but I was also against an R89C and an R92CP, both of which had to pit one lap after the 88C-V... This meant that the only challenge I had, as I didnt need to pit at all, was from the Gillet Vertigo and Merc CLK-AMG GTR. Some Challenge.

The end result, despite a close-call New Yorkand hateful Suzuka, I came out on top by a margin of 52 points, with the AI's 88C-V in second.

And for the record, I want a 787B because it uses the Wankle rotary setup, which give the engine a unique feel compared to the other LMPs.

I'm really susprised that no one has mentioned running the Pescarolo Judd in the GT World Championship. I'd first attempted the GTWC in the Jag XJR-9, but soon found it would be too tough a task. Eventually i saved enough pennies (5millionish) for something better. the C60 Judd seemed like a good idea from reviews i'd read so thats what i choose. I've just finished race 6 and i'm 7 points ahead of the Nissan R92CP. I'm getting 81 points for a win (the car is totally standard apart from super hards at the back and hard at the front) The more powerful Group C's are slightly quicker on the straights, but i gain in the turns.

The best thing about the car is the tyre wear, two of my races so far have let me run the race without pitting, with the rears only just turning orange. The other races have let me run 2/3rds of the race before pitting with 'slight oranges'

Its a great car for this series, and i'd recommend running with no Driving Assists except level 1 TCD.

Nice. :D

I did the GT World Championship in the 787B as well... But didn't come close to blowing them out as you did! I won the Championship by one point... :P

I'm on race 9 of 10 in the GTWC in a 787B. I chose it as I loved the car in GT3 and it's just as good in GT4. So far I've managed to start 6th and finish 1st in every race, some by seconds and some by a fair gap.

Aspec points on just an oil change have ranged from 90ish to 110ish. It's on racing medium tyres (forgot to buy hards), but this seems to suit it well as they generally last to halfway before needing a pit.

So long as you put in steady laps and look after your tyres a bit (don't slide or floor it over hard bumps e.g. in the Opera circuit) you can do a 1 stop strategy while the AI might go for a 2 stop.

I also did the Championship with the Judd Car. (stock, no oil change, R3's) I must say it was fun. My average M.O.V. was about 10sec. The Super Speedway race was hard since I had the Merc. Sauber(sp?), and the R92CP as my opponents. Each race was hard, but after the 8th race I had the series clinched.

notice this thread is almost 3 months old and is inactive...........guess make it worth while by having a question about it.....if it was a month old it wouldnt matter.....but comon 3 months and no one has written in it scince Oct 6.

TeamWilliams F1
notice this thread is almost 3 months old and is inactive...........guess make it worth while by having a question about it.....if it was a month old it wouldnt matter.....but comon 3 months and no one has written in it scince Oct 6.
Does that make the older posts less valid? Or the newer ones? What does the age of the post have to do with the racing experience?

It's far better to add something to a 3-month-old thread than it is to post a new thread on the same redundant subject.

Duke
It's far better to add something to a 3-month-old thread than it is to post a new thread on the same redundant subject.

👍

TeamWilliams F1

It's also far better to not post at all than to post 2 lines of gibberish that are off topic, make little sense and are littered with spelling mistakes! :sly:

Wouldn't mind having a crack at this series in a 787B myself, sadly I've not got the cash to buy the used one at the moment, nevermind the new race version! :grumpy:

I've not done GTWC yet, have 4 or 5 choices based on the unused cars in my garage, and the fact that I've got under 150,000Cr to my name at the moment!

1) Bentley Speed 8. Will try it stock, but will probably be a walkover.
2) Jaguar XKR-9. May try it stock, will give very few A-spec points and will definitely be a walkover.
3) Ford GT LM Edition. Won't win stock, only one I've tried with so far, could modify it a little, but I'm not keen on the idea.
4) Camaro LM Edition. Would need modifying, not keen on the idea either.
5) NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car / RX-7 LM Race Car / RX-8 LM Race Car / 350Z LM Race Car all of which would require modification. :indiff:

christofire
I'm on race 9 of 10 in the GTWC in a 787B. I chose it as I loved the car in GT3 and it's just as good in GT4. So far I've managed to start 6th and finish 1st in every race, some by seconds and some by a fair gap.

Aspec points on just an oil change have ranged from 90ish to 110ish. It's on racing medium tyres (forgot to buy hards), but this seems to suit it well as they generally last to halfway before needing a pit.

So long as you put in steady laps and look after your tyres a bit (don't slide or floor it over hard bumps e.g. in the Opera circuit) you can do a 1 stop strategy while the AI might go for a 2 stop.
CONGRATS christofire!!! :cheers: SO pleasant to see someone NOT using a Minolta Toyota w/Stage 4 Turbo to win this thing! 👍 Sounds like you're ready to have a go at it in a JGTC Ride :eek:

@ Smallhorses 👍👍👍...O.G.
old.gif

Back