GT3 on DVD ROM

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Avenger803, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Avenger803

Avenger803

Hey, I have the limited edition :cool: GT3 japenease version of GT3. Its on DVD ROM. Do U.S. versions have it on DVD ROM? Whats the difference between DVD ROM and the purple bottom PS2 games?

2. Tom M

Tom M

The US version is a DVD rom as well. The game is much too large, especially with all those audio tracks, to fit on CD. The main differences are storage size. PS2 cd (purple) holds around 700 - 750 megs depending on what type of data is stored, and DVD's hold almost 5 gigabytes of Data.
    DVD roms also pull the data off faster than the regular cd's in my experience, thus explaining long load times in most cd games.
    DVD roms also travel further when hurled as a Frisbee.:)
    What extras does the limited edition have?

3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic

I didn't know there was such a thing as a PS2 CD-Rom ... and the purple bottoms is intruiging. What PS2 CDs do you guys own? Are the load time noticably slower?

~LoudMusic

4. Saleen Man

Saleen Man

:eek: I didn't know there was that much of a difference!:eek:

5. LoudMusic

LoudMusic

Yeah man, that's why DVDs are such a big deal. There is even a DVD format that holds 25 gigabytes. It's rather slow, and very fragile, though. It's by Panasonic, and never really caught on. Actually, there is no standard DVD format ... just that one has become more popular.

~LoudMusic

6. Tom M

Tom M

Too many to list really, but I do feel that PS2 DVD's load faster than PS2 CD's. When I play PS2 CD's they also make a funny noise in the PS2 (especially in the upright position), but the DVD's don't. I figure it's the increased rotation of the CD's, but it really doesn't sound healthy. :nervous:

7. rjensen11

rjensen11

My Madden2002 got scratched twice in the same spot by my PS2:mad: It has a complete circle scratch that's about 5mm wide. Thing that pisses me off is that it doesn't even get to the menu!

8. space

space

Nope. That award goes to the Compuserve and Juno CD's:D They also work great as coasters :)

9. space

space

Timesplitters
    Tekken Tag
    Smugglers Run
    Nascar 2001
    MGS2 Demo
    Dave Mirra 2
    Unreal Tournament
    Half Life
    Harvest Moon

Those are all the games That i have that run on the Purple Cd's.

I really dont notice extra loading times, prolly cause I have always used the loading period as a bathroom break :)

Anyways, I think alot of the launch games were CD-ROM, i think they started using the dvd's after new years (Jan. 2001 and beyond) Same with the cases with the memory card holder, i didnt get one of those until after the new year.

10. LoudMusic

LoudMusic

Good information ... do you think they'll be remanufacturing those games on DVDs?

~LoudMusic

11. space

space

I doubt it, I think they were put on a CD-ROM, because they would fit, and it would have been a waste of space to put them DVD's(but doesnt it cost the same to make a DVD and a CD?)

Although, they could benifit from being remanufactured on DVDs( better graphics-dave mirra 2 definaltly could have benifited from that, more levels, characters, etc.), but I just don't think the demand is there. However, the sequels to these games are on DVD's or are *hopefully* are going to be on DVD's.

The only real reason for games to be on CD's, as i see it, is if they are demo's.

[rumor]I heard that a few PSX games might be remade for the PS2, namly FFVII and FFVIII, but that only a rumor[/rumor]

12. NocturnalPS

NocturnalPS Staff Emeritus

Hehe i have Smugglers Run & Tekken Tag. Wow thoes where to days :p

13. risingson77

risingson77

Yeah, why is that? The PS2 DVD-ROM drive is 4x, and the CD-ROM is 24x. Sustained data transfer (at 1x) is 150 kbps for CD-ROM. Anyone know what DVD-ROM's transfer rate is? I think it's in the MBps range.

BTW, I wouldn't use my PS2 in the upright position. I know that early CD-ROM lasers would lose their calibration if tipped on their side. Of course, many improvements have been made since then - I still don't trust vertical loading, tho. :reallyodd

14. Tom M

Tom M

The 24x cdrom would Transfer about 3.5 megabytes per second, and DVD (1.35 megs/sec) would transfer 5.4 megs/sec. So the DVD is definitely faster.
    I used to keep mine upright, but it made odd noises when I played PS2 CD's (not DVD's though.) I'll heed your advice, and not switch back to the upright (I was thinking about it to save space now that I have an Xbox, and GC) :thumbsup:

15. risingson77

risingson77

Kewl...

5.4 Mbps.... :drool:

16. MaximumPonies

MaximumPonies

I hope you just forgot about the AOL/TIME/WARNER/MCDONALDS/WALMART/CHURCH'S CHICKEN/STEAK N' SHAKE/RAY'S BOOTS/SEARS/JCPENNY'S (or A HOLE, as I like to call them) CD's.

Geez...I crack myself up. :D :)

17. InterCooler

InterCooler

Some of the CD-ROM's that I came across was not 'balanced'. ie. if spun around it's centre, one side is slightly heavier than the other. Or, the hole in the centre is off-set ever so slightly.

This unbalance, at high turning speed (24X +) causes the disc to wobble and WILL cause vibrations. You will notice this most on PSX or CD-ROM's but not on DVD's.

When your PS2 is standing upright, the gravity will further make the matter worse.

Although PS2 looks cool when standing up, it really has higher chance of causing problems.

What really bothers me is that some big developers (Namco & EA) insisting on releasing games on CD's instead of DVD. Damn it, put it on DVD for god's sake. Save me the whirring and whining of 24X CD's! I actually backed off from buying some games if it was on a CD.

18. keeno_uk

keeno_uk

I know what you are talking about I think this problem has been made worse by the shabby workmanship of the european ps2 which everyone complained about when I got mine it didn't like cds a lot and it made a terrible noise now I have know choice but to stand it vertically if I want to play cds don't ask why but thats the way it is also my original timesplitters got damaged beyond repair and even getting past the loading screen with scratches that were of a circular motion which also worried me but that only happened once

19. DessViperV-10

DessViperV-10

The games i have in DVD are...
    Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
    Tony Hawk Pro Sk8ter 3

And here are regular format...
    Unreal Tournament
    4X4 Evolution

my unreal tournament got a tiny scratch,from being vertical..

20. spaceviper

spaceviper

if you turn off the PS2 from behind and leave a disk in it, the lens has to move or some crap and it scratches the game. This has happened to both of my football games cuz of my bro. The tech support at Sony told me that.

21. risingson77

risingson77

Hm, it's possible. If you just cut the power, the PS2 won't be able to return the laser to the home position. I always use the Standby/Reset button anyway. It's easier to get to in my setup!

22. rjensen11

rjensen11

Wow, I'll have to be more careful of how I turn it off now. The thing is that we're always moving it from the basement to our family room because of the DVD feature, I can't wait until I get a real DVD Player sometime...

23. Ruffryder27

Ruffryder27

The main difference i noticed with the cd's is that the dvd ones ran a lot more quietly on my ps2

24. rjensen11

rjensen11

I don't know about that, Madden was pretty loud for me, in comparison to something like N4S(PSX)