GT4:P any faster?

Street Fighter

(Banned)
I'm just curious if GT4 Prologue is any faster than GT3.

I don't mean frame rates or anything, it's just that GT3 seems sluggish in comparison to real life. Like there is barely any sense of speed.

If one were to compare GT3 and GT4:P, is there any noticable difference in the speed of physics/speed of the surroundings going by?

:D

hmm, the other day i put in GT1 for fun: it looked much faster than the PS2 offernings... but Prologue... um, i think it's ok: with GT40 or McLaren it's pretty fast imo.

It does seem a bit faster than GT3, but then I'm used to GT3 being in PAL mode (50hz/50fps) whereas GT:P is in NTSC (60hz/60fps).

And yeah GT1 is pretty fast.

Frame rate doesn't make the cars respond better, it just makes everything look smoother because there are more frames being shot at your eyes.

What I meant is, say, is the time it takes to switch from a left turn to a right turn faster than it is in GT3?

In a real car, you should be able to accel off and turn the other way and have the back of the car literally jump or whip in the other direction, then accel in the direction of the ideal line. However, in GT3 that switch up isn't really a fast whipping motion, but more of a sluggish change in direction.

It really makes for a boring/relaxing driving even while racing.

I was hoping in GT4:P, the snappiness and responsivness of the cars was increased at all.

Try watching D1 Grand Prix and you'll see what I mean by sluggish.

Street Fighter

i also think gt3 is slow... but most people call it simulation... anyway i think even if its simulation its still too slow (yeah turning is a freakin pain in gt3... its like turning a fckn brick! )... but after playing gt4 prologue.... i think gt4 prologue is a bit faster on turning! i also can feel the physics has improved a lot!

Yes, physics in GT4P is very much different from GT3.

But remember Gran Turismo is NOT a simulation. Well, at least it tries to be one, but far from being a proper racing/driving simulation.

Just a video game. Period.

Originally posted by Street Fighter
Is that flickabilty there? No?

In fact, yes it is, and it's a fairly big change too! The first time you're driving you're likely to lose the car a few times because of this (I did).

Originally posted by Arwin
In fact, yes it is, and it's a fairly big change too! The first time you're driving you're likely to lose the car a few times because of this (I did).
ya i noticed this too. or atleast with toyota prius trial. i purposely tried this to see if it would snapback, and it did much better than GT3. had to correct it like 3 or 4 times.

There isn't much of a turbo sound (the high pitched whistle is the dump valve), but bear in mind that GT4P is not GT4 and does not represent GT4's final quality.

I thought the sound was the spooling up of the fan.

Man, PD is doing a really good job at representing actual physics and car tuning, so why not add a dyno tool so one can actually TUNE the cars instead of just upgrading them.

Take some of the guess work out of tuning...

Well, if they expect serious involvment from racing entheustiasts, why not add that feature.

With no dyno the rest is speculation. Thus, one can only become so involved.

i think he was refering to the original topic "GT4:P any faster?"

Had to register just to respond to this. AWESOME board.

The very first time I played GT3 I was so disappointed in the slowness of the turns. Slow weight transfer and snap or "flickability" as you called it. It felt like a was turning a boat. I was almost in tears when I was playing on my day off of work that I took on the day of the release. THEN I took the active stability down to zero and lowered the traction control. Although I believe it was from completely eliminating the active stability. It was like night and day difference. Haven't turned it back on since and do totally fine without it and the cars are much easier to throw around corners.

Yeah, just think about what the stability manager actually does. Turning at high speeds requires more than just turning the steering wheel so you have to be able to swing the car around a bit, particularly through chicanes and tighter corners. This is done through shifting the weight of the car from side to side. (weight transfer) The stability manager keeps things centered and results in a stiff feel of turning in my opinion. I don't claim to be an expert though so.....

A tap of the brakes doesn't hurt either to get some weight to the front tires for better traction if it is turning stiff.

Back in GT and GT2 on PSX, it was a fast way to make money. But then, making money in GT3 to buy your second car was like hell.

Tell me more! Tell me more!

In GT3 when I am going through a chicane and I exit the first corner, setting up for a tight second corner can be troublesome for me.

Back