GT4 playable online via Xlink!

:)

there were about 8 people in the gt4 arena earlier, tho its nearly impossible to get info from them since theyre all japanese/chinese. I'm expecting there will be more people playing tomorrow as word gets out about kai in the japanese ps2 community

the lag will depend on the bandwidth of the host and the ping between players and the host, as with all online games.
I'm sure we'll get more detailed info on how it performs when US/EU importers start getting their copies

If theres enough intrest ill post a small tutorial on how to get started with kai for the people who havent used it before

Will people with the US version be able to play with people using the EU and Japanese versions?

And look, my sig was right all this time. :)

Oh I hope the PAL and US vers are compatible on LAN mode...would hate it if I'm gonna be restricted to only playing ppl in the EU :(

thats something we wont know untill the US game is actually out.
Normally i'd say yes, but with the different versions having some exclusive cars im not so sure.
Hell, the Chinese version might even not work with the Japanese version, who knows....

The only way to find out if continent to continent play is possible is to just test it out and see.
Most likely you'll only be able to play someone using the same game version that you are. Japan GT4's can only be played with other Japan GT4'ers, PAL and PAL, US/NTSC and US/NTSC. Thats my guess anyways.

3rdgenracerX
The only way to find out if continent to continent play is possible is to just test it out and see.
Most likely you'll only be able to play someone using the same game version that you are. Japan GT4's can only be played with other Japan GT4'ers, PAL and PAL, US/NTSC and US/NTSC. Thats my guess anyways.
Most Xbox games I played on Xlink didn´t work like that. You could play with any versions.

it all depends from game to game. Xboxlive games are coded with global online play in mind, so their syslink works crossregion too

Gt4 was coded with online play in mind too, since online only got canceled very late in the games developmentcycle.
But on the other hand, U have the Nike version, the korean version witch has some exclusive korean cars (iirc), etc etc US and Euro versions might have some exclusive cars too.
What if i pick the Nikemobile to race against an opponent, but his copy of gt4 doesnt have that car?

We'll have to wait and see, and when we get our copy just try it out.

i would appreciate a tutorial too, for sure ! i was exploring the xlink website before, and it looks like an excellent system ! a little complicated for my computer skills :-P close to none o:-) too bad they are still in alpha testing for mac OS X because thats all i've got connected to the internet... but this is all in the future because my copy of gt4 is still at lik sang !! heh. later-

hey Hajaz, you're a nice guy !! i'm sure you'd make a ton of people happy doing that !! oh and might you include little blurbs about differences with mac usage as well ? :-D i would be in eternal gratitude ;-) later-

Remember that GT3 time trials and licenses times were different in NTSC and PAL versions due to the difference in FPS and timing. Different versions won't be compatible unless this was a priority in PD minds during development, and knowing that GT4 lacks of TRUE online mode, I'm quite sure they won't be :ill: .

This is the main question why i'm waiting for the PAL version (I still hope it comes with a Hz selector!!! :indiff: ), and I'm not importing an Asian version.

ok, im basially just going to paste our quickstart guide here, since alot of people have trouble finding it directly from the site...

here goes

Want to cut all the nonsense and just get playing? Here's a step-by-step guide to get you playing in no time at all..
Note: By no means is this guide comprehensive, and we recommend you read the FAQ, Help and Forum for additional help and information.

1. Register an XTag

Your XTag (similar to the XBox Live Gamertag™) is your username while using the XLink services and is your way of telling the world who you are. To get yourself registered, visit the signup page.

2. Download / Install Kai

You'll obviously need to grab XLink Kai at some point in time, so why delay? Get it now from the downloads page.

Once downloaded to your computer, run the setup file. Kai has a rather ingenious file update distribution system. Whenever we roll out an update to Kai, you will automatically receive the update the next time you run Kai. No need to *ever* download another setup file again, and you're always up-to-date!

3. Setup your Network / Firewall

Now's about the time to inspect your network setup. If you already know you've got your console connected to your network and you've portforwarded, you can skip right to the software firewall setup otherwise, please read on.

Note: There are instances where the following diagrams do not depict your network situation entirely. In most cases this is no issue, as we would assume you have a good understanding of networking should you have a more complicated setup.

Setup A: Cable / DSL Router

The least troublesome and fastest way to get online is through the use of a router. Router's can attach consoles to a home network the instant they are turned on and provide ample security with the majority of routers containing in-built hardware firewalls. If you discover that your router's firewall is blocking traffic from other Kai users, you will need to perform a port-forward. More details on this are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

networksetup_router.png

Setup B: Cable / DSL Modem (USB)

If your Cable or DSL modem supports USB connectivity to your PC, you can get away with only having 1 network card in your computer. The downside of this setup is that there is little security for your computer, unless you install a software firewall. No port-forwarding is required, and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is not mandatory, but can be enabled if you wish (if you are using XBox Live™ or PS2 Network Entertainment™ already, your XBox and / or PlayStation 2 will have Internet connectivity as these services require it).

networksetup_usbmodem.png

Setup C: Hub / Switch

Hubs and switches are cheaper than routers, but are generally less reliable. No port-forwarding is required with this setup. If using a hub, network speeds can be greatly affected due to data packet collisions. If deciding between a switch or a hub, we recommend a switch (switches can direct where to send data whereas hubs cannot).

networksetup_hubswitch.png

Setup D: Two Network Cards

If you're looking for a cheap method of connecting your console to your network, purchasing a second network card is the way to go. With this method, one network card connects via a regular (or straight-through / patch) CAT-5 network cable to your Cable or DSL modem, while the other network card connects to your console's Ethernet port via a cross-over CAT-5 network cable.

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is not mandatory, but can be enabled if you wish (if you are using XBox Live™ or PS2 Network Entertainment™ already, your XBox and / or PlayStation 2 will have Internet connectivity as these services require it).

networksetup_2nics.png

Setup E: Cable / DSL Router + Hub / Switch

Combining Setup A and Setup C gives you the following network setup. Such a layout occurs in medium to large home networks, when a router does not have enough Ethernet ports for every computer. Adding a hub or switch into one of the Router's Ethernet ports allows an additional number of computers and consoles to be connected.

Router's can attach consoles to a home network the instant they are turned on and provide ample security with the majority of routers containing in-built hardware firewalls. If you discover that your router's firewall is blocking traffic from other Kai users, you will need to perform a port-forward. More details on this are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

networksetup_routerhubswitch.png

Setup F: Wireless Cable / DSL Router + Wireless PC

Important Note: Setup F will only work for you if your wireless network card performs in promiscuous mode. Please read the section on Incompatible Wireless Network Cards below for more information.

Many users are now investing in wireless technology, however there are some setbacks when using tunnelling software with such products. Only 2 of a possible 4 wireless combinations will work when tunnelling on XLink Kai. The following setup is often referred to as a "bridge". The computer acts as the wireless bridge between the console and the router.

Wireless Router's can attach consoles to a home network the instant they are turned on and provide ample security with the majority of wireless routers containing in-built hardware firewalls. If you discover that your wireless router's firewall is blocking traffic from other Kai users, you will need to perform a port-forward. More details on this are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

Additionally, you will need to correctly setup your wireless settings via the XLink Kai Configuration Tool.

As a final word of warning, wireless connections can cause additional latency (lag) when playing online due to fluctuations in signal strength and quality.

networksetup_wirelessa.png

Setup G: Wireless Cable / DSL Router + Wireless Bridge

The second of 4 compatible wireless setups is the use of hardware devices called wireless bridges. Similar to Setup F, these devices will allow you to place your console anywhere that the wireless router can pick up a signal.

Wireless Router's can attach consoles to a home network the instant they are turned on and provide ample security with the majority of wireless routers containing in-built hardware firewalls. If you discover that your wireless router's firewall is blocking traffic from other Kai users, you will need to perform a port-forward. More details on this are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

Additionally, you will need to correctly setup your wireless settings via the XLink Kai Configuration Tool.

As a final word of warning, wireless connections can cause additional latency (lag) when playing online due to fluctuations in signal strength and quality.

networksetup_wirelessb.png

Incompatible Wireless Network Cards

You might be asking, why can't my PC remain wireless? Well, there's a almost guaranteed chance that it will not work for you. It all depends on the model of wireless network card that you invest in, and whether it can perform in something called 'promiscious mode'. If you want to find out what this is and why it's essential when using Kai, you can read a Whatis.com definition here. If you find out your wireless card supports promiscious mode, great! You'll be able to use your wireless PC without a hitch. You could even use a wireless bridge for your console and get 100% wireless connectivity that's compatible with Kai.

Note: Wireless network cards that can perform in promiscious mode are quite rare, and it is highly likely that your current wireless card will be incompatible. If you would like help on finding a wireless network card that can work in promiscious mode, head over to our Official XLink Forums.

Software Firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Protowall, Norton Internet Security etc..)

If you have installed a software firewall on your computer, chances are that it will block XLink Kai. We strongly suggest consulting manufacturer / developer documentation and taking the following tips into account:

• For XBox users, allow the IP address 0.0.0.1 full access on UDP port 3074.
• Reduce the intensity of the protection ie. 'Medium' instead of 'High'
• If you were required to perform a port-forward, make sure you allow unrestricted access on this port within your firewall configuration.
• If you are still experiencing problems, search our Official XLink Forums.

Note: It is not recommended, but you may have to disable your firewall when you want to play on XLink Kai.

4. Log in

Start XLink Kai on your computer. Enter your XTag and password to sign in (you may change the default login options by running the XLink Kai Configuration Tool).

5. Check Kai Diagnostics

First, start by placing a system-link / LAN enabled game in to your console. Proceed to the system-link / multiplayer menu of the particular game, and tell your console to search for games. Leave the console for now, and take a look at the Kai Diagnostics panel within Kai (you must press the icon, then the icon).

If you see your console has been detected and configured successfully, well done! If you don't happen to see your console at all, or if a message that automatic configuration failed, please see the Troubleshooting section below. You may also search the Official XLink Forums for the most common solutions.

The final step is to check whether 'Network Reachable' reports as 'Yes' or 'Not yet..'. (you must press the icon, then the icon). If it remains as 'Not yet..', there is communication being blocked that will prevent you from playing on Kai. This can be due to either a hardware firewall in your router, a software firewall installed on your computer, or a incorrect / missing port-forward. If you have a hardware firewall, ensure you have correctly port-forwarded.

More details on how to portforward are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions). If you have a software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, read some tips on how to get XLink Kai working with it here.

6. Navigate and Play!

Start playing by finding your way around Kai. Meet up with some opponents and battle it out!

Note: Additional help on navigation is available by pressing the icon within Kai.

Troubleshooting

My network is reachable and console is configured successfully but I can't see any games..
One of three scenarios:

• You are trying to use Kai with a wireless card that doesn't support promiscious mode. Please read the section on Incompatible Wireless Network Cards for more information.
• You are using a software firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) that is blocking traffic from the console. Please read the section on Software Firewalls for more information.
• In the XLink Kai Configuration Tool, you have PAT (Port Address Translation) turned on. Untick it and restart Kai.

-----------------

I can see games but can't join them or get disconnected as soon as I join..
You are using a software firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) that is blocking traffic from the console. Please read the section on Software Firewalls for more information. To test this theory out, you can uninstall the software firewall and if the problem disappears, you know the problem is with the configuration of the software firewall.

-----------------

I get 'configuration failed' for my console in Diagnostics Mode..
If it's for an XBox, you're crazy :) You have not followed Step 5 of the Quick Start Guide that stated you must be actively searching for games for Kai to correctly detect your console.

If it's for a Playstation 2 or Gamecube, the problem is most likely you have another DHCP server on your network stopping Kai from issuing the IP for the Playstation 2 or Gamecube. There are 3 things you can do to solve the problem:

• Disable DHCP and set static IP's for your computers. You can have a look at this guide on how to do this in Windows XP.
• Block the MAC address of your console in your router so that it does not get assigned an IP by the router's DHCP server. Seek router / manufacturer documenation on how to do this with your particular router.
• Set the DHCP scope on the router so that it only assigns enough IP's for your PC's. Seek router / manufacturer documenation on how to do this with your particular router.

-----------------

I get network not reachable / I can't see or host any games, but my console says configured correctly..
Double check Diagnostics Mode (you must press the icon, then the icon) and have a look if Network Reachable still reports as 'Not Yet'. If it does, you didn't port-forward as instructed in Step 5 of the Quick Start Guide. More details on how to portforward are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

Note: Remember to put the port number you forward into the 'Kai Port' box in the Kai Configuration Tool. Leave 'Kai Deep Port' as 0!

-----------------

I can't get my console detected at all..
Were you actively searching for games as instructed in Step 5 of the Quick Start Guide?

Have you got a software firewall installed (such as ZoneAlarm)? If you do, have you tried disabling it, or read the section on Software Firewalls?

If you use a wireless gaming adapter, or a wireless ethernet bridge, you will need to clone the MAC address of the console as the MAC address of the gaming adapter / bridge.

To find out your console's MAC address:

• Look for it printed on the bottom of the console somewhere.
• XBox users can locate it in the Microsoft dashboard under Settings -> Network Settings or in alternative dashboards such as EvolutionX, Avalaunch etc..
• You may also be able to find it on your router's control panel.

HAJAZ:
Thank You
Merci
Gracias Amigo

Play-asia put my copy of GT4 JPN on the UPS plane to New Jersey yesterday...by Friday I should be online, thanks to you & the Xlink team in advance!!!!!!!!!

no problem...
i'd actually advise you to get your setup sorted now, and try it with any other lan compatible game (socom2 works)... that way you dont have to go through any hassle when you receive your gt4 copy (lucky bastard)

hehe

great to see this thread here

if anybody needs 2 test with socom 2 just gimme a shout

im available most evenings after 7pm uk time

;)

i cant wait for gt4 so i can get some olr done

:D

thanks a lot !! too bad no mac support. it's okay, i'll have to drag my old PC out for this one heh ;-) you sure made it easier for people like me though, thank you so much !! later-

Someone should send this to PD and see that GT4 can be Online. :rolleyes: The game is officially out a day and people have already figured out how to do this. PD should hire these guys and fire their Online group.

Back