GT4 prologue + stock US PS2

Sorry I have searched for days for this information and can't find all the answers I need...at least nothing 100%. Sorry again if this has been covered in depth but I can't seem to uncover it to answer my questions.

I want to purchase GT4 prologue

I have a stock US version PS2 purchased about 2 years ago.

What do I need to make this all work?

1) What version of the GT4 prologue do I purcahse? The NTSC J link here to the page at play-asia.com

2) Do I need any kind of convertor for my TV for the NTSC/J to NTSC signal. I have a Sony Wega Tv purchase about 2 years ago that I assume is standard american NTSC? If so is this something I can purchase at a local radio shack or online?

3) How to I get the dsic to play on my stock PS2? I know of mod chip systems but have also read about sharkport or magic discs or some such "add-on" for PS2 that allows the playback of Japanese NTSC/PAL games. Where would i buy tis online

EDIT: I found this Slide Card + Swap Magic V3: , is this what I need?

4) I've read about the controler issues with GT4P but does the GT Force Feedback (GT3 model, NOT the new pro) work for this game?

5) Anything I am over looking to get this all to work?

Thanks in advance for any help...sorry if I seem like a complete idiot here but this entire world of online GT3/4 racing and info sharing is new to me. i wish i found it years ago.

you want to purchase GT4:P you need money for that :D

stock US playstation to? you're going to need to "soup" it up with a modchip or swap discs etc that can be found at www.modchip.com

you need ^ to make it work

1) it does not matter which version of Prologue you buy but there are two versions, Japanese and Chinese ( that i know of) whatever you think is best, id go with the Japanese one

2) i am not an expert about the TV converter things but all i know its a big problem playing PAL games, never really heard of NTSC J problems? (im sure there are though)

3) refere to the link

4) i believe it does a few members here at GTplanet have mentioned it

5) i dont know what you mean.

i am sorry if not all my information is useful or correct but it is just what i have seen ALOT of people here at GTplanet talk about, hope it works out for you, ;)

I think I got it all figured out, thanks for the PMs...

last question

Do standard US memory cars save data for the japanese ntsc version of GT4P?

Yes, your memory card will work. And your GT Force will work also. And if you don't speak Chinese or Japanese, I would recommend the Chinese version because the car names are in english unlike the Japanese one.

I use my GT4P with the swap magic discs and the flip-top cover which works great. I think the slide card has more of a potential to damage your PS2 if you use it wrong, although I have never used one myself. NTSC is NTSC, you don't need a converter for your TV.

Good luck!

domo arigatoo....for all the info.

I went with the japanese version given my wife is japanese and I know enough to work my way around menus in japanese

I also went with the swap disc/slide card combo...we shall see how well it works.

My wife will also get a kick out of me playing a video game in japanese trying to figure out the menus....

Originally posted by 8400RPM
Congrats! Buddy, you are in for a treat!

Thanks...I'm stoked. I was going to avoid getting this and just wait for the officail US GT4 release...but the date for that is a moving target so who knows. At least this will give me something new to play though I am loving the weekly races in GT3 now.

I got the gimmie gimmies bad for one of those white ceramics Japanese PS2 ply-asia.com sells....I almost had the credit card out the othe night....selling it to my wife as "Oh honey now you can buy and watch Japanese DVDs." BUt she saw through that and realized she would never get any time with it as i would always been playing GT4P...

Originally posted by scuderia229
Thanks...I'm stoked. I was going to avoid getting this and just wait for the officail US GT4 release...but the date for that is a moving target so who knows. At least this will give me something new to play though I am loving the weekly races in GT3 now.

I got the gimmie gimmies bad for one of those white ceramics Japanese PS2 ply-asia.com sells....I almost had the credit card out the othe night....selling it to my wife as "Oh honey now you can buy and watch Japanese DVDs." BUt she saw through that and realized she would never get any time with it as i would always been playing GT4P...

...Waiting for the official US GT4 release - that right there is the definition of patience. And on the contary, if you look up "impulse shopper," you'd find a picture of me - right next to my sparkly ceramic white PS2. :)

Out of most of the online shops that I looked around, the prices were in the $350 range. There was a store that I visited in Carson (can't recall the name) that was really close to Signal Auto that had the GT4P PS2 Racing Packs at $280 - and since it was a storefront, no shipping charges.

Hey guys you can play prologue without the flip top or slide card. All you need are the swap magic discs, a phillips screw driver (for the top)and thats it.

Sure, if you don't mind taking the cover off your PS2 everytime you play the game. I did it for awhile because I got the wrong cover. It was a big pain and time consuming as well.

Originally posted by 8400RPM
Sure, if you don't mind taking the cover off your PS2 everytime you play the game. I did it for awhile because I got the wrong cover. It was a big pain and time consuming as well.

Well, your kind of right. You make your own door in the original PS2 top, take the tiny screws out of the "top" of the Disc tray. you do have to take the top off of the trey every time but it only takes a couple of extra seconds. Besides you are putting in or removing the laod disc at that time so it's no big deal.

So ya....GT4P showed up in my mailbox Wednesday night from hong Kong. The swap magic/slide card combo I order the same night hasen't shown up yet and the place I ordered it from (modchip.com) isn't returning my emails in over 48 hours...So i got sick of waiting staring at my GT4P disc next to my ps2. One of the great things about living in NYC is we "should" have everything here! So I called a friend, she checked with another friend and so on. Eventually i found a small place only blocks from my office (small world) that sold the swap magic discs (just got the shipment yesterday) and even demoed the slide card for me. The demo showed me alot and the slide crd doesn't work how i thought, it seems sketchy....SOOOOO...i bought the swap magic discs AND a nice black flip top fort he ps2. Screw the slide card.

So I'll be spending alot of time with GT4P this weekend. Good thing it is so nasty outside here in NYC this weekend so I have a good excuse to stya inside and not do anything active outside.

When (if) my swap magic/slide card combo shows up in the mail I will be putting it up on e-bay. if anyone who reads this wants to buy the unopened one from me (if I get it) PM me and we will work it out, otherwise ebay gets it.

Latest Posts

Back