GT4 tournament

Well, I was the top qualifier at my local gamestop for a twin cities GT4 tournament. It was pretty BS if you ask me, and not necessarily because I didn't win.

You could choose any car that you wanted, and you raced head-to-head with another person in split-screen. We had to race on midfield. My TV was so old that you couldn't see where you were going in the tunnels. we traded leads back and forth for the first 2 laps, and by the 3rd and final lap I had a 5 second lead. Then, through the tunnel I must have hit a curb because I spun out, hit a wall, and recovered in time to see my competition slip by me on exit from the tunnel. I pushed hard and drafted him towards the end, but I lost by .1 second. Now for the uber-bunkness: They decided to take the fastest loosers to fill spots of people who didn't show up, but since my competition and I had decided to race M3's, my time wasn't anywhere near as good as a guy who outright sucked but was using a full-out race car. Gamestop really blew an opportunity to have some good racing by using crappy TV's, and not putting any thought into the tournament itself.

On the plus side, I got a cool GT4 lanyard (even though it says "available: December, 2004")

Minnesota01R6
Well, I was the top qualifier at my local gamestop for a twin cities GT4 tournament. It was pretty BS if you ask me, and not necessarily because I didn't win.

You could choose any car that you wanted, and you raced head-to-head with another person in split-screen. We had to race on midfield. My TV was so old that you couldn't see where you were going in the tunnels. we traded leads back and forth for the first 2 laps, and by the 3rd and final lap I had a 5 second lead. Then, through the tunnel I must have hit a curb because I spun out, hit a wall, and recovered in time to see my competition slip by me on exit from the tunnel. I pushed hard and drafted him towards the end, but I lost by .1 second. Now for the uber-bunkness: They decided to take the fastest loosers to fill spots of people who didn't show up, but since my competition and I had decided to race M3's, my time wasn't anywhere near as good as a guy who outright sucked but was using a full-out race car. Gamestop really blew an opportunity to have some good racing by using crappy TV's, and not putting any thought into the tournament itself.

On the plus side, I got a cool GT4 lanyard (even though it says "available: December, 2004")

:lol: Sounds retarded.

Hah, d'oh, that stinks. Atleast you got to race some people, that part must have been fun (besides the frustrating loss). Lanyard looks cool, I'd use it :)

Red Raevyn
Hah, d'oh, that stinks. Atleast you got to race some people, that part must have been fun (besides the frustrating loss). Lanyard looks cool, I'd use it :)

I got a couple extra lanyards...I dunno what to do with them. The poster is nice and thick and is double sided. I got a some post-it notes too, but those were all kinda stupid. Maybe I could put the lanyards up for auction on ebay and donate the money to GTP hahaha.

That is complete crap, everyone should be at least be using car with a similar power to weight ratio, if not totally identical cars. Hopefully you still had a bit of fun with it. The Best Buy near my home had a full 5.1 surround setup with GT4 hooked up to it, and one of those playseats and a DFP hooked up, pretty nice.

I'd be happy to take one of those lanyards off your hands...:sly:

Apparently my time must not have held up at my Gamestop then... Only myself and 2 other people had even entered times when I had done it on the 22nd. Someone musta come in and kept racing until they beat my time...oh well, it would have been really cool if the both of us had made it to the event...

would have been really funny if we had both made it and then posted about it here and never talked to each other there :lol:

I wouldn't doubt that they just forgot to call you. They took the top 2 from each store (I think). It was really stupid and completely ill-planned, but I got a lanyard for ya if you want one (if we ever get together to do some racing!)

Hmm, well, I never got a call from them and I gave them my cell number ( which I always have with me, plus has voice mail, so unless they just were too lazy to call...) Of course I never got a call about my pre order either. I should have just shown up, I could have probably just played anyway.

BTW, talked to my brother today...he's fired up to get together and kick each others digital asses. Got to figure out what to do with his 7 month old though. I gotta convince the wife to baby sit ;)

A friend of a guy that was in the tourney wanted to play because there were 4 or 5 open spots of people who didn't show up, but they wouldn't let him. Some guy showed up just as I was leaving and even though he was qualified, they wouldn't let him in because he didn't show up on time. Anyway, it was completely bunk. I will still deal with my gamestop because they have their act together, but I will never ever buy from a gamestop near burnsville (they had employees from 3 or 4 stores there and none of them knew what they were doing, and most of them didn't know what GT4 was. )

The thing that ticked me off the most was that I drove 45 minutes down there and wasted about $20 worth of gas (my car gets about 3 gallons to the mile) only to be screwed because they used crappy equipment and crappy rules.

Back