GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
just bought JOYPAD and i can confirm this is all-true.
There are four new(but tiny) pics :
-a cockpit view from an Audi TT(Totally photorealistic )
-a pic from the 300SL (full exterior view)
-another shot from the cockpit of the 300SL (Polyphony artists am God total)
-AND the first shot ever from the nürburing (The trees are really good!)

And sorry my scanner is broken .Ii will try to make some tomorrow at work.

And the big news from the article : FULL HD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat
* Spectator mode (à la PGR3)
* Possibility to create Clubs

-Test playground for the future GT5

Ok now I am concerned, in the original post it was stated all GT4 cars will be in GT5. Now it appears GTHD classic has come back. So is that 'all cars from gt4' actually refer to GT5 or GTHD classic?

I bet all cars will be in GTHD classic, not GT5 and in my opinion the return of GTHD classic is bad news.

*EDIT* BTW thank you for those scans 👍

i dont see the reason for people to thnk that gt5 will not have 800+ cars when it is released.
they allready have the models from gt4, it shouldn't be that hard to program the insides of the cars

i dont see the reason for people to thnk that gt5 will not have 800+ cars when it is released.
they allready have the models from gt4, it shouldn't be that hard to program the insides of the cars

GT4 cars have low resolution textures and low polycount compared to GT5 cars (not to mention the interiors, brakes, underbodys etc etc), the cars needs to be remade from scratch, just like cars had to be remade when switching from GT2 - GT3.

Only way I see them making that many cars for GT5 is if GT5 is delayed to 2011 or they made high res, high poly count versions while making GT4 models in anticipation for PS3 Gran Turismo.

Twenty cars is just fine for almost racing series. Hell. I usually use 20 cars in rFactor. You have to race against 20 entries in ToCA Race Drivers 2 and 3. Why the heck not? One race in "OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast" had you going up against 99 cars in the point-to-point racing game.

Allow me to key in on damage. The issue on car damage goes back to a key issue I brought up in the thread asking for percentages of things happening for GT5. Is PD's agreement with world automakers and tuning firms and racing constructors good enough so that they could enable full-on damage? I am thinking of two possibilities on "damages for the race cars": (a) may only apply to racing machines and not street cars, or (b) a shorthand way of perhaps saying "damage to cars in races." If "B" is true, then it is likely to still bang up your favorite street car in racing conditions. Now for a twist on this topic- would this still apply to street cars fully modified for racing? Could it be possible to Race Modify cars and have them to be fully destructable (or at least banged up really bad)? They're basically race cars at this point, so why not? I'm usually not a fan of damage, so I'm likely to get slammed by most of you for not stressing damage. It's still very understandable about not having full-on damage to road cars. Maybe this move was in place because of that g:censored:damned picture I keep seeing of someone wrecking a Ferrari Enzo (not Eddie Murphy, but one I've occasionally seen online). In defense of Forza in regards to GT5, the Forza series is able to have damage and such since some people can't wait to wreck any car that isn't a Ferrari or a Porsche. So let the media types slam PD on not having damage for road cars (I know they will). It seems like a good decision for PD to have this sort of deal in place for car damage. Maybe their train of thought will change a bit in future iterations. Perhaps we could see a video of some Burnout "fanboy" play-test GT5 and intentionally crash (an unspecified car) around a street course or something to demonstrate damage.

I have a suggestion on the notion of four car views. I think it would be wholly possible to change camera view angles like in the Need for Speed series after NFS2:SE. It would be interesting to specify which four views you want to use in a race. You may even opt to have less than four views if this happens. My best guess is that the views could be in the format of bumper/in-car/roof/chase-close. There may even be bumper/in-car/chase-close/chase-far. Most Codemasters racing games gave you all kinds of views. Have to read up more on four camera views.

People hated that GT didn't have big-name supercars and such. Ferrari's in the house now. We already know cars like the Ferrari 599 GTB and F430 will likely be included. I'm thinking that PD may look into some older Ferraris. They may look into Ferraris like the following (this is not a wish list):
* F430 GT (hopefully from Risi Competizione ^_^)
* 360 Modena (including the Challenge Car and maybe the 360 Modena GT race car)
* 550 Maranello
* 575M
* Testarossa
* F50 (and maybe the F50 GT1)
* 612 Scaglietti
* F40 (and perhaps a racing variant like the Igol Ferrari F40 like in the BPR Endurance GT Series)
* 288 GTO
* Dino 246 (loved this car in "OutRun 2006: Caost to Coast," easy to drive even for an arcade game)
* 250 GTO

* 333SP (HAVE to have some racing variants here. I'm talking anything from the Momo 333SP (all-time favorite race car) to anything of Risi Competizione's. Perhaps the 2000 race car from JMB Giesse in the defunct FIA Sportscar Championship)

* any certain Ferraris I may have missed like the ones you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ferrari_vehicles

The idea of F1 and Ferrari could link to some of Ferrari's F1 race cars driven by names like Michael Schumacher, Mario Andretti, Niki Lauda, Phil Hill, Jean Alesi, and names like that. May never know. Maybe they could do like "ToCA Race Driver 3" and have a little championship in the mold of the BMW Williams challenge with the (then) current-spec Williams BMW.

I'll key in on the notion of new city courses, more online drivers, and dynamic weather in races in a future post.

Hey is their anymore info on the whole Indianapolis aspect

@John BM01- I dont think they'll ad the Risi 430GT since it has that humongous Forza sticker on the hood. Although they could just remove it

LOL

That was not a Ferrari in the Rock, its quite a well known fact that its was a 2nd gen MR2 with a 355 body kit, as such no licensing from either Toyota or Ferrari was required.
LOL I knew it was a Replica or just a body shell, specially the way it scatters down, but lol I had no idea it was an MR2, hahaha, that's just funny how movies find these loop holes! :P
And yeah I didnt know a lot about these things, but what Kent mentioned makes a lot more sense that eventually in the Game also the intellectual property rights are still owned by the Manufacturers (like it always says when u start these games), and in movies it's probably a producers / director's car. And JohnBM01 it wasnt Eddie Murphy, I think it was Eddie Griffin in Redline, lol! (lol at the movie, not u btw)..
But anyway coming back to the point... All I am saying is, even though it makes a lot of sense for the Manufacturers to not allow "full-on" damage in games to their car's virtual couterpart, there should be something worked out. I think having a Ferrari 360 in the game and not accurately having their car's physics or engine sound, should be more of a concern to them, than damage which now they've made it into a major issue. Just imagine in a Multi-Class race, the race cars having full on damage but the road cars going scuff free even after banging into that race car on turn 1.. (Imagine you driving a Mini Cooper *Race Version* and me driving a Ferrari F430 and me banging into you on turn one will break your car and not mine. That would be just a shame and that's what I am not willing to understand on PD's part too.. And that's why I'd rather have them pursuade these manufacturers to accept some sort of damage and settle with even forza like damage in the end, even though they are perfectionists, it doesnt mean they can't have half@ssed damage just coz its not perfect. What about simple common-sense?
And in any case we're just speculating based on a translated material that says - Damages for the Race Cars - we dont completely even know what this means..
BTW, the only reason why I would mind even a half assed damage is coz no t only do i like to drive completely clean, i dont want people who bang into others (in multiplayer or whatever) by driving real dirty and still winning. If there's damage there's certain amount of respect to other driver's 'racing' space. But damage isnt the MOST important thing for me. What I'd want to see is a much better AI in GT5. And I'll take it over damage any day.. And ofcourse better tyre noice and slightly better engine sound too :P .. (is that really asking for too much ?)

Hey did any body notice the pic of the the 300SL's exterior. There are like 4 other cars behind it. Could this be how the garage is set up?!!!!!!!

All great news.

We can just hope that more news will surface on E3 - while I'd most admire the very news about game actualy being released in this year.

OK, this debate about GT5, or whatever is coming before that, having all the cars of GT4 is about to be thrown a loop here. Here's what I remember reading about it, before GT4 came out.

In an interview, I cannot find, with Yamauchi, it was asked how PD are making the cars; polygon count, time to make one, how many there will be, etc. His response was something similar to, "We are making the cars with higher graphic quality than will be used for GT4, and then lowering the graphic quality so we'll have a supply of cars ready for GT5."

Anybody else remember this? Where I can find the proof he said this? I know I've read this, but cannot remember where.

OK, this debate about GT5, or whatever is coming before that, having all the cars of GT4 is about to be thrown a loop here. Here's what I remember reading about it, before GT4 came out.

In an interview, I cannot find, with Yamauchi, it was asked how PD are making the cars; polygon count, time to make one, how many there will be, etc. His response was something similar to, "We are making the cars with higher graphic quality than will be used for GT4, and then lowering the graphic quality so we'll have a supply of cars ready for GT5."

Anybody else remember this? Where I can find the proof he said this? I know I've read this, but cannot remember where.
And Thankyou Solid,I also remember reading this but also am not sure where it was.I suspect with many cars all PD has to do is model interiours.

In a month or two we should have some confirmation-more news on the next installment in the series at E3.

I don't think anyone thinks PD have jsut started work on GT5 just now, with people earlier in the thread talking about it taking 3 years to model x ammount of cars etc, I think people are perfectly aware of the time scales here. The rate of creating a GT5 quality car combined with the number of staff working on that for PD is around 80 cars a year.

I don't recall that, but you're reputation here isn't one of a bs merchant, so that's good news 👍. It is also the only way I can see PD getting that many cars in GT5. That said though, did PD have time to model all the cars at higher quality or did they just do the more likely ones to appear in future GT games first and since then have started on the others like say the 300SL etc. We'll have to see but either way, that's good news for the car count and increases what it could otherwise have been significantly. Another point I've jsut thought of and it meansthat thoes higher quality GT4 models will have needed a hell of a lot of work still, is that GT4's models are all one shell, the doors, bonnet, front and rear wings, the boot, the bumpers etc, they're all one piece, the car models in GT5 are modelled bit by bit, so you will be able to remove a bumper, bonnet, skirt etc. Ofcourse, they can take a complte single piece model and get rid of everything but the bumbper, then give the bumper the extra detials it needs etc, the reload the whole more again and do the same for the bonnet, etc. We'll just have to see I guess, there are ways round it, but we're still talking a lot of work.

Finding old interviews regarding GT4 with specific tid bits of info in them is a nightmare, there's just too many to sort through.

I remember reading that as well. Kaz said that they're making high quality computer models, and then scale them down for GT4, so they won't have to do them all again for later Gran Turismo versions.

GTLXR,

I do know the history of GT:HD classic & premium...And I don't think the prologue would be anything quite like that. The game KY seemed to refer to was the one expected to preview GT5 later this year. I'm not convinced that this will be GTHD under a new name.

The downloadable content is mostly likely going to be for GT5.

Then again, I didn't translate the actual article, so I'm not sure I can trust all of the info (aside from the original bulleted points).

Gamelle,
Can you put up a scan, svp? Merci d'avance!!! :)

If you Know enough, you will no that PD spent most of the time between GT4 and PS3 working on the title which was set to become GTHD premium and classic.

The classic element was a hi Def version of GT4 with a few tweaks here and there, upgrades like larger fields, the improved AI engine that they had been working on for GT4 and the online element, they spent alot of time on upgrading the visuals and modelling of GT4s components in order to prepare it for PS3 launch, that is why they have all the cars of GT4 ready for the proposed new game, it will in fact be Just a rebaged GT4 HD.

The reason PD originally took this route for there first PS3 title, was that dev kits for PS3 arrived very late in the day for PD to create an all new title for the PS3 built from the ground up for PS3.

However, the Premium element was also to be included, which would be a showcase for PD to show what the PS3 and GT could be like for GT5. This part was meant to feature, the basics of the new game engine that was to be developed for the PS3.
The premium element of the planned full title, was going to be very limited in content, 2 initial tracks and 30 cars to be followed up with one more downloadable track and an extra 30 cars.
Whilst the classic element would have 700+ cars and 50+ tracks to download.

The Premium element of GTHD was only ever meant to be a preview (or prologue if you like) to GT5.
The reason to provide such a title, would have meant it gave PD suitable amount of time to fully work on Building a proper new GT experience in GT5 for PS3.

As i have said before, The scrapping of the Launch title, threw any well laid plans for GT into turmoil, a title which had consumed much of PDs developement time, in the previous 2 years was cast aside (Im Sure Kaz and his team were extremely annoyed by that!).
I have read an interview with Kaz, when he was talking up GTHD for PS3 launch, where he stated that GT5 wouldnt be Ready till at least XMAS 2008 and he was even reluctant to comit to that time frame, and with his and PDs commitment to detail we all no that would have slipped well into 2009.

With all this in mind, to think that any title that PD ships in the next year, that features any where near the quantities being touted for the game, is going to be anything other than the tweaked and enhanced GTHD Premium/ classic that was designed for launch is just a daydream!

Dont get me wrong, it will still be a nice addition, and expand GT4, and make GT4 what it was always promised to be, but sadly never delivered!
Just sad to see that after all the mess thats gone on around PS3 and GT at launch, that likely at a year after PS3 launch, we will have very little thats new, and looks like were are at least another 2+ years away from a trully next GEN experience for the PS3 with GT5!

Hi,

Scans can be downloaded here : Click (.zip - ~14mb)

Thanks,
Fanagt :)

Thnx a lot Fanagt! I know it is a lot of txt, but if you - or someone else who's born French - could translate it in total - that would be great. It is asking too much, but lot of us would be more then grateful.

Mercy beaucop à l'avance :).

^^ True Dat ^^
And thanks FanaGT for the effort! :)
(Edit : I just saw these scans and IT WOULD BE A LOT to ask for, to translate that, we'd probably need a team working on that, lol.. But for the moment if you can read the whole thing and just give us the interesting bits (highlights) too, it'd be great.. Thanks anyways, though..)

Hmmm!! That explains a LOT! I always have been wondering how could they say that it takes 1 programmer / designer, about 6 months to detail 1 car (so there are more than 4-5 designers working on 1 car at a time, now that still wouldnt explain how they could manage to get a game out in just 2 and a half years of GT4.. Thanks for that explanation bro..

BTW GTXLR, you seem to know a lot about this GTHD : Classic / Premium stuff... Do you happen to know, whether the GT:HD Concept Demo out on PSN is GT-HD Classic OR Premium? You do understand what I am asking right, mate?

I asked this question in the GTHD Questions thread some time back, but I havent gotten any response to it.. I have been curious since a while now..

Hi,

Scans can be downloaded here : Click (.zip - ~14mb)

Thanks,
Fanagt :)

+rep

Many thank you's 👍

Looking at these scans this is the first time I have seen "Gran Turismo 5" logo written from PD. :)

whether the GT:HD Concept Demo out on PSN is GT-HD Classic OR Premium? You do understand what I am asking right, mate?

It would be premium, they are new PS3 specific models and textures not ported GT4 ones like Classic.

*EDIT* Oops double post this was supposed to be a edit, my bad.

I am thinking the whole current Ferrari range (F430, 599, 612 etc) and probably whole F1 current range (as Sony has the rights to them) or maybe just current Ferrari F1 car.

Sony does NOT have the rights to F1 cars anymore. Their license has expired and they no longer posses the right to use them. Therefore it would strictly FORBIDDEN for Polyphony Digital to use F1 cars in GT5!

^^..

BTW GTXLR, you seem to know a lot about this GTHD : Classic / Premium stuff... Do you happen to know, whether the GT:HD Concept Demo out on PSN is GT-HD Classic OR Premium? You do understand what I am asking right, mate?

I asked this question in the GTHD Questions thread some time back, but I havent gotten any response to it.. I have been curious since a while now..

The Online Demo GTHD, features the element that would have been GTHD Premium.
The Eiger track was to have been one of the first 2 available premium tracks, that would have come with the complete GTHD Classic/ Premium title.

Edit:
Just read through this interview with my Girlfriend, who has quite a good level of french.
All in all there isnt really a lot in this article!
The questions around the future for Gran Turismo, show the confusion and turmoil that Kazand his team are now in since GTHD was canned at launch.
GTHD then GT5 was the plan, now he is trying to incorporate much of the 2 together, to bring a GT game to the public.

This interview suggests to me more strongly than ever, that at some point we will get GTHD Premium / classic (rebranded as prologue possibly) as the next title, in order that KAZ can sort out what he really wants to do with GT5.
The interview shows his head full of ideas, but very little in the way of direction. GT5 is all just a jumble of potential ideas, but lacking any structure around which to build it right now. He has no idea when GT5 will be ready!
Though KAZ in his best PR blurb tries to blur the lines between what was GT4 GTHD and GT5, since GTHD was canned and a lot of time wasted, he says GT is just GT and the next GT will still be GT, that along with with the Strong Hints That GT4, GTHD and the Concepts PD had For GT5 are being merged suggest to me that Instead of a new freshly designed masterpiece, we are going to get a cobbled together mish mash of elements, which to be honest I dont feel will get the best out the franchise.
In fact if this turns out to be the case, i think it will be the biggest disapointment and missed opportunity. The technology is there and ripe for KAZ to completely redevelop his dream, and deliver his vision, but due to the withdrawal of the launch title, time constraints are going to mean that he will
have to deliver another rehashed and rejigged GT.

Talk of Formula one, well he says it is hard to get the right information out of FOM, and would also be very expensive, the challenge is made all the more diffficult because he also wants more historical F1 cars.
Much talk weve heard a hundred times before in interviews about, KYs cars, the developement team, 10 PS3 dev kits, design times, they try to make the redevlopement in upgrading the Ring in terms of Visuals sound like a really big deal, Sorry but thats expected in next gen! all this takes lots of time. They did the usual race driver promo, are it feels good, just like real life, PR mumbo jumbo.

Sony does NOT have the rights to F1 cars anymore. Their license has expired and they no longer posses the right to use them. Therefore it would strictly FORBIDDEN for Polyphony Digital to use F1 cars in GT5!
No it wouldn't, just like it wasn't forbidden for Codemasters and ISI to both use the BMW F1 car in their games, while Sony was holding the license. There are loopholes and there are ways around things, there will be conditions to be met and there will be problems to be negotiated around but the F1 license is for the Formula 1 season, the cars, the calender, the teams, sponsors etc. The cars themselves, on their own, are still property of the manufacturers, so unless they have a deal with Mr Ecclestone that they cannot license thoes cars out independently of the F1 license then they are free to license them to whoever they want. Official teams is another matter and throws more parties into the bag.

No it wouldn't, just like it wasn't forbidden for Codemasters and ISI to both use the BMW F1 car in their games, while Sony was holding the license. There are loopholes and there are ways around things, there will be conditions to be met and there will be problems to be negotiated around but the F1 license is for the Formula 1 season, the cars, the calender, the teams, sponsors etc. The cars themselves, on their own, are still property of the manufacturers, so unless they have a deal with Mr Ecclestone that they cannot license thoes cars out independently of the F1 license then they are free to license them to whoever they want. Official teams is another matter and throws more parties into the bag.

The article makes reference to the difficulties around F1 issues and the fact that they may have to deal with Mr Ecclestone himself.
Mr Ecclestone is renowned as being one of the toughest and shrewdest businessmen in the world, It appears as if a lot of F1 is tied down exclusively through the extensive contractual arrangements, which im sure will involve some sort of clause that will prevent unlicensed use for a number of years.
Bernie would have you belive that that would be just to protect the image of the sport, however in reality that just means more money!

A lot is tied together, I didn't say it wasn't but not everything is. Like I said, there's a reason other games used the BMW F1 car during Sony's license ownership. There are ways out and around it, and as I said, the cars themselves are property of the manufacturers, it's down to any agreement they have with regards to licensing thoes cars out to third parties made when joining F1. Rather, I was simply rubbishing isamu's calim that "it would strictly FORBIDDEN for Polyphony Digital to use F1 cars in GT5", technically PD are strictly foridden to use any real cars and tracks in GT without the correct licensing permission first. But I felt this statment was closed, as in, there is no way without the F1 license that PD can use F1 cars. ISI and Codemasters never had the F1 license.

The article makes reference to the difficulties around F1 issues and the fact that they may have to deal with Mr Ecclestone himself.
Mr Ecclestone is renowned as being one of the toughest and shrewdest businessmen in the world, It appears as if a lot of F1 is tied down exclusively through the extensive contractual arrangements, which im sure will involve some sort of clause that will prevent unlicensed use for a number of years.
Bernie would have you belive that that would be just to protect the image of the sport, however in reality that just means more money!
I've wondered about this as well. Most historical F1 cars are in the hands of private collectors, so if those owners had the right to allow PD to use them in GT I would have thought PD would have done so in previous editions of the GT series. Perhaps there are some other legal obstacles in the way.

If not, then PD should be able to get many F1 cars from collectors. I know just last week Ferrari sold four F1 cars at their auction in Maranello:
  • Massa's 2006 Ferrari 248 F1 ($2.2 M)
  • Barrichello's 2003 Ferrari F2003-GA F1 ($2.1 M)
  • Schumacher's 1997 Ferrari F310B F1 ($1.0 M)
  • Tambay's 1983 Ferrari 126 C2B F1 ($0.6 M)
Ferrari has sold quite a few F1 cars over the years, so if the new owners have the right to let PD use their cars in GT, then they should have quite a few to choose from. However, the fact that they have not done so already with any previous GT game suggests that there might be some special circumstance that still requires licensing from the FIA.

Just read the article...I'll start from the end w/ the KY interview:

JP: When did your passion for automobiles start?
KY: Like all boys, I started getting interested in cars around 3-4 yrs. old. Much later, when the opportunity was presented to make a video game, I had already prepared 150 projects about Gran Turismo...maybe not the GT we know today, but I knew what I wanted: an automobile simulation with real cars.

JP: Today, you are at the end of this idea. What inspires you?
KY: Lots of things. Above all, that there's not an end to this story. We created a game which evolved from circuits to rally, passing normal routes & today, with GTHD, we have drifting. But there's still lots of things to improve, lots of work. Nothing is ever finished! But the passion that my team creates is a real motivator.

JP: You arrived in a Porsche GT3, we also saw a Ford GT...What other cars do you own & which do you prefer?
KY: I have six cars. 2 Ford GTs, the GT3 that you saw, a MB SL55, a Nismo 350Z, and a Honda S2000. I certainly prefer the Ford GT, because it was made the same year I was born.

JP: What car do you wish to have?
KY: A McLaren F1, without hesitation. I have not yet driven this car, it's a dream to one day drive it.

JP: Where does the name GT come from & how do you choose the cars?
KY: It's an Italian name....Some cars are advertised by manufacturers, but the majority are personal choices.

JP: How was Polyphony created?
KY: In the beginning, it was a division called "Team Yamauchi" and it was integrated with Sony. In 1998, this division became independant under the name PD.

JP: How many people work there?
KY: Today, we have 120. In 1992, when I started the 1st GT, we were 7 & we had 5 years to finalise the game.

----I'm going to skip a few things about how his career started, as this is taking longer than I thought!!!!------

JP: About the future, will there be a online possibilities for GTHD?
KY: First thing, the name is not yet determined. At this time, I can confirm that a game will be released between GT4 & GT5, but we don't have a name for it yet. About online, that's a big question...

JP: We can imagine that we'd be able to download cars & tracks through the online store?
KY: Nothing is definite yet, but it will be possible to have car updates. We can definitely imagine being able to download when there's something new.

JP: You've already signed Ferrari, can we also hope to see other marques like Porsche & Lamborghini?
KY: The whole product range of Ferrari will be present, but concerning P & L, I can't really comment as long as they've not been signed.

JP: Other plans? What else will be new?
KY: I have a lot of ideas. You'll have to wait for some surprises! I have already said that there will be classic race circuits, but also one or some new city tracks.

----He then talks about drifting in GT & the spectator mode.

JP: We can read on the official site that one or more GT games could be released before GT5, is this true?
KY: I can confirm that before GT5 is released, there will be another GT...at the minimum.

JP: Can you give us any info?
KY: [he thinks about it] As soon as possible.

---They then talk about gameplay in GT4 & all the adjustments you can make to the cars' balance.

KY: I can assure you that we have refined the general settings of the cars. But you're right: the cars that you drive in GTHD are much more sensitive to weight transfer. However, I ask myself if all these adjustments are not too complicated or boring for the gamers...

JP: Since it's all going to be online, wouldn't it be possible for a beginner to download the settings of an expert gamer?
KY: It's possible.

JP: Last question, are you an accomplished man?
KY: non, I'm not yet totally satisfied, nor finished, I have a lot of work in front of me.

A small blurb on page 2 of the article

GTHD Classic or Premium
As it had been explained to us by KY, we can make our exact GT through PSN. All of GT4 will be downloadable in HD, but you can just download the cars & circuits that interest you. No confirmation on price or the mode of operation. Concerning the Premium, this will be a GTHD "concept", though it has not yet been named. It will have 2 tracks with around 30 cars.

Of course, we're waiting to see the new cars. The only certainty is Ferrari. No confirmation on Porsche & Lamborghini.

**I'll translate more after lunch...

Just read the article...I'll start from the end w/ the KY interview:

JP: When did your passion for automobiles start?
KY: Like all boys, I started getting interested in cars around 3-4 yrs. old. Much later, when the opportunity was presented to make a video game, I had already prepared 150 projects about Gran Turismo...maybe not the GT we know today, but I knew what I wanted: an automobile simulation with real cars.

JP: Today, you are at the end of this idea. What inspires you?
KY: Lots of things. Above all, that there's not an end to this story. We created a game which evolved from circuits to rally, passing normal routes & today, with GTHD, we have drifting. But there's still lots of things to improve, lots of work. Nothing is ever finished! But the passion that my team creates is a real motivator.

JP: You arrived in a Porsche GT3, we also saw a Ford GT...What other cars do you own & which do you prefer?
KY: I have six cars. 2 Ford GTs, the GT3 that you saw, a MB SL55, a Nismo 350Z, and a Honda S2000. I certainly prefer the Ford GT, because it was made the same year I was born.

JP: What car do you wish to have?
KY: A McLaren F1, without hesitation. I have not yet driven this car, it's a dream to one day drive it.

JP: Where does the name GT come from & how do you choose the cars?
KY: It's an Italian name....Some cars are advertised by manufacturers, but the majority are personal choices.

JP: How was Polyphony created?
KY: In the beginning, it was a division called "Team Yamauchi" and it was integrated with Sony. In 1998, this division became independant under the name PD.

JP: How many people work there?
KY: Today, we have 120. In 1992, when I started the 1st GT, we were 7 & we had 5 years to finalise the game.

----I'm going to skip a few things about how his career started, as this is taking longer than I thought!!!!------

JP: About the future, will there be a online possibilities for GTHD?
KY: First thing, the name is not yet determined. At this time, I can confirm that a game will be released between GT4 & GT5, but we don't have a name for it yet. About online, that's a big question...

JP: We can imagine that we'd be able to download cars & tracks through the online store?
KY: Nothing is definite yet, but it will be possible to have car updates. We can definitely imagine being able to download when there's something new.

JP: You've already signed Ferrari, can we also hope to see other marques like Porsche & Lamborghini?
KY: The whole product range of Ferrari will be present, but concerning P & L, I can't really comment as long as they've not been signed.

JP: Other plans? What else will be new?
KY: I have a lot of ideas. You'll have to wait for some surprises! I have already said that there will be classic race circuits, but also one or some new city tracks.

----He then talks about drifting in GT & the spectator mode.

JP: We can read on the official site that one or more GT games could be released before GT5, is this true?
KY: I can confirm that before GT5 is released, there will be another GT...at the minimum.

JP: Can you give us any info?
KY: [he thinks about it] As soon as possible.

---They then talk about gameplay in GT4 & all the adjustments you can make to the cars' balance.

KY: I can assure you that we have refined the general settings of the cars. But you're right: the cars that you drive in GTHD are much more sensitive to weight transfer. However, I ask myself if all these adjustments are not too complicated or boring for the gamers...

JP: Since it's all going to be online, wouldn't it be possible for a beginner to download the settings of an expert gamer?
KY: It's possible.

JP: Last question, are you an accomplished man?
KY: non, I'm not yet totally satisfied, nor finished, I have a lot of work in front of me.

Thanks AFC, i dont have the patience to try and get my girlfriend to fully translate the article, and we struggled on a few sections.

As a Question to you, We couldnt find the section that referred to their being12 to 20 cars online, Did you see it anywhere?
I know KAZ talked extensively about his vision of a community based online element, with trading and talk during the developement of GT4, i Felt during this article that PD or KY were only regurgitating that, without actually saying their would be online racing, but we may have missed it.
Their was so much nonsense and filler fluff in the interview, that no real revealing questions or answers were addressed, that is indicative of just how undeveloped a concept they are working on.

A small blurb on page 2 of the article

GTHD Classic or Premium
As it had been explained to us by KY, we can make our exact GT through PSN. All of GT4 will be downloadable in HD, but you can just download the cars & circuits that interest you. No confirmation on price or the mode of operation. Concerning the Premium, this will be a GTHD "concept", though it has not yet been named. It will have 2 tracks with around 30 cars.

Of course, we're waiting to see the new cars. The only certainty is Ferrari. No confirmation on Porsche & Lamborghini.

**I'll translate more after lunch...

Ah ha, thats how that fully translated!
Thats just re-affirmed the resurection of GTHD Classic/Premium that was scrapped as the new title, which i expected in my earlier post.
Im really quite shocked to see that it looks like they have revived the whole concept, including making the GT4 part entirely downloadable, at cost.
I would have expected at the very least for the GT4 upgrade in the classic section, for them to include the entire selection of content, in the cost of the game, and make only the premium elements a pay for download option.
If that is the case i trully cannot believe the ineptness of those who are making such irrational business decisions, If they had worked for me, they would be better off being my part time vehicle valeters.
To scrap a game completely in the first place, due to heavy criticism of the almost entire pay for content, method of delivery, then to resurect the same project with the same concept a year later, without modifying the most heavily criticised aspect, is a crazy philosphy, and shows much disrespect to those consumers who dared to point out the failings in such a system, and is one sure way to alienate them. Im sure this decision has much more to do with Sony than PD itself, and may have much to do with the need for financially recouping some of the costs of the last 3 years work!

Back