GT5 on blu-ray disk!! (OMG 25GB)

just wondering if anyone has thought about the possibilty that GT5 could be produced on a single layer 25Gb blu-ray disk for the PS3....

we know that the PS3 is compatible with them, so just imagine how much they can put on it.

Currently on the 4.7Gb DVD its already alot of game, can we handle 5 times that much?

does that mean development will also be 5 times as long?

any thoughts

Development will take as long as it takes them to program all the cars and tracks in, and do whatever (probably minor) other stuff they feel like. If there's five times as many tracks and cars, then yes.

Emohawk
Development will take as long as it takes them to program all the cars and tracks in, and do whatever (probably minor) other stuff they feel like. If there's five times as many tracks and cars, then yes.

yes but hopefully its not JUST "tracks and cars", i hope they listen to the community and add other important things ie car modifications would be good, not just your standard turbo upgrade.

obvioulsly this isnt what everybody wants, but thats just my opinion...

burnt joint
yes but hopefully its not JUST "tracks and cars", i hope they listen to the community and add other important things ie car modifications would be good, not just your standard turbo upgrade.

obvioulsly this isnt what everybody wants, but thats just my opinion...

Couldn’t agree more, and the easiest way to add this extras is to develop let’s say GT5 with GT6 in mind so that they can use almost every thing to make the next one and only add more stuff.

GT4 is on a 9GB dual layered DVD, and pretty much al the disk is used. GT5 will probably be a Blue-ray disk, over twice the memory doesn't mean tice the content though, as the car models increase in polygons, the size of the files does too, same goe's for the tracks and the game engine will no doubt be a bigger program than in GT4. The only way GT5 won't be on a blue-ray is if it's a re-done version of GT4 with larger fields and online capability, but even if that does happen to be the next GT, I doubt they'd call it GT5.

LoudMusic
Uh, just because it holds 25GB doesn't mean they have to use it.

they would be stupid if they dont use a most, if not all of it.
personally i would rather wait a bit longer and have a game thats so expansive and large, then something that they knock off in a year with old content.

Current PS2 DVD games are 4.7 GB on a single layer, dual layered is obviously double that. GT4 is spread over the 2 layers using approx 5.5 GB. Blu Ray as the thread maker mentioned is 25 GB on a single layer, while the Blu Ray discs PS3 can read will be Dual Layered so thats a possible 50GB of gaming.

Also seeing as the trailer at E3 was called Vision Gran Turismo, then it sounds like they are making an updated version for the ps3 for release day. Just like they were to make Gran Turismo 2000 which was an update for GT2 that was due for release on PS2 debut. Yet with polyphony's reputation for deadlines, i would say that it wont be on release and will be a full fledged sequal when it hits the stores. But lets hope im wrong on that one

The trailer was just a tech demo, it doesn't mean thet IS the next GT game, it might well be, but also it might not be.

live4speed
GT4 is on a 9GB dual layered DVD, and pretty much al the disk is used. GT5 will probably be a Blue-ray disk, over twice the memory doesn't mean tice the content though, as the car models increase in polygons, the size of the files does too, same goe's for the tracks and the game engine will no doubt be a bigger program than in GT4. The only way GT5 won't be on a blue-ray is if it's a re-done version of GT4 with larger fields and online capability, but even if that does happen to be the next GT, I doubt they'd call it GT5.

Lol but I DON'T demand 1400 cars lol:lol::drool: If you would throw another 100 in the game, and then 22 cars in one race I would be happy enough. Damage......:drool: I hope, but that needs to come with no-bumping-and-crashing AI:sly:

It's not like that isn't possible.........:D

I'm not saying they can't, won't or shouldn't increase the ammount of content. I was just saying that the increase in disk capacity doesn't mean there will be more content for the reasons given.

yes, people may not want 1400 cars or 28000 tracks.... you do want other things such as damage and weather and tuning options and blah blah blah........

at least we know now that PD dont really have much of an excuse to not give us at least some of these things

i think they should increase thr resolution of the scenery,since on most city tracks (in particular New York),the billboards and scenery are really pixellated and it just doesnt look right.

the blu ray disks come in 25gig, 50gig and sooon 100gig 4 layer disks, please correct me if im wrong. It just gives them a lot more freedom now i guess....

Peace

Emohawk
...or make the GT5 development team 5x bigger.

Still, it's reasonable to assume that with the new game engine and such.. higher resolution models and textures, a bunch more information per model/surface/etc.. Even if the game were the same "size" as GT4, I could imagine it breaking the 9GB barrier and ending up on Blu-Ray, even if it didn't use the whole layer.

A triple layer Blu Ray can go to 100GB after TDK made it happen I know even they said if they took the time they could take dual layer Blu Ray to 200GB.

Remember, when PS2 came, some of the first games game were released in CD, so I think that GT5 will be DVD Dual Layer and GT6 Blue-ray.
You can put GT3 in one CD if you rip the videos.

burnt joint
just wondering if anyone has thought about the possibilty that GT5 could be produced on a single layer 25Gb blu-ray disk for the PS3....

we know that the PS3 is compatible with them, so just imagine how much they can put on it.

Currently on the 4.7Gb DVD its already alot of game, can we handle 5 times that much?

does that mean development will also be 5 times as long?

any thoughts

thx captain obvious. lets see... sony has stated that Blue ray will be the standard so that must mean.. 💡 They are gonna USe blue ray Disks!! I thought Sony Said that Blue Ray Disks Hold 50 -70 gigs in that big presentation at E3 a few days ago.

This just means that devs dont have to worry about running out of space as much. But If GT5 is really as complex as rumored then 50 gigs sounds about right. :dopey:

blu-ray does give them so much more freedom, and as someone pointed out its mostly the little things that matter like hi-res pics used for new york track and trees etc, because thats wat PD wanted to give us is a whole driving experience so to him the track side details are just as important as a sports car on track, so the extra space will definatly help in building blocks for details and overall experience of driving a car

~Sp33~
GT4 uses 6gb of space on its dual layer DVD. just thought i should clear things up.
I didn't realise that until after my post, I'd been missinformed. Thanks for clearing it up anyway.

Also don't overlook the fact that Blu-Ray has a significantly higher data transfer rate than DVD. Which means less loading and more efficient spooling in-game.

Back