GT5 Prologue Dec. 13th (US)release??

• Thread starter URBsmkr
  • 81 comments
In my opinion, I think that GT5-P will be released this Dec. 13th on blu-ray disc/via download on PSN along with the Japanese version. It only makes sense, being that the PS3 is now only $399 and it's certain to soak up hundreds of millions of dollars this holiday season(especially since GT is a console mover)! GTHD was released worldwide, why should it be any different with GT5-P. Just because the GT5-P Demo was released only in Japan has to do with the fact that PD wanted it on display for the Tokyo Motor Show, and I don't think that neither Sony nor PD can afford to lose all that money to games like FMS2, Dirt, NFS Prostreet,PGR4 etc. Then I think that this summer they will release the full version of GT5 along with the Siaxis Dualshock 3!

p.s Has anyone played Dirt on PS3, if not I only have 5 words for ya "Don't Cheat Yourself, Treat Yourself!! This game is sweet, a half an hour after I downloaded it, I was at Gamestop buying it, and it's worth it! No complaints!!

p.s Has anyone played Dirt on PS3, if not I only have 5 words for ya "Don't Cheat Yourself, Treat Yourself!! This game is sweet, a half an hour after I downloaded it, I was at Gamestop buying it, and it's worth it! No complaints!!

Yes, downloaded it, played it, feel in love with it, bought it.

I don't think you guys will get it at the same time as the Japanese's we should know by now that Japan get everything first. It should go atleast I think, Japan, EU, US.

Busniess wise it would be logical to have a world wide release for Christmas.... but when it comes PD logic isn't on there most important list of thing to do :D

Well I respect you having an opinion but consider this,
Prologue will have on line play, a first for any GT game, Poly will want to limit the release of GT5p so they can make sure everything is working on the servers, that will be easier to do with a Japan only release & there will be a lot of users but not the number of a worldwide release & this will make it easier on them to get everything dialed in before a wider release.
I'm going to order the Japan Blu-Ray version for myself & hope I can log on to the Japan servers, then when the US version is released I'll get that too.

Oh, I agree with DiRT & I also decided to buy it shortly after I played the demo.

Just in case people from Poly are checking this forum you need to know that the word "Japanese" is offensive to the Japanese people.
So quit being lazy & type Japan or Japanese so as not to offend the Japanese programmers.

Good points Moose, and you can also add the additional time it takes to translate everything into English and make the necessary changes. These would all be logical explanations why we won't likely see an English version of GT5:P the same time as the Japanese version is released.

Also there has been another GT5P Video added to the US Playstation store( GT5Prologue_TGS_Video-HD). which makes that the second video in two months available for download. Proving that PD has not forgot about its US market, which will hopefully make GT5P a Dec. 13th US release possibility!! Keep your fingers crossed!!

p.s This is kind of off the subject... but has anyone played the NFS Prostreet Demo from the Playstation store? It's pretty sweet, better graphics, better damage, better EVERYTHING! Definitely worth checking out(actual release Nov. 13th)

IMO, 99.999999999999999% they will not releaes in NA on Dec 13. NA had a very small driving game market compare to Asia and Europe.

I've said it before, but I find it a bit odd that there is a Japanese release date, rumours of an US release date, but virtually nothing about an Europe release date. :confused:

Also there has been another GT5P Video added to the US Playstation store( GT5Prologue_TGS_Video-HD). which makes that the second video in two months available for download. Proving that PD has not forgot about its US market, which will hopefully make GT5P a Dec. 13th US release possibility!! Keep your fingers crossed!!

p.s This is kind of off the subject... but has anyone played the NFS Prostreet Demo from the Playstation store? It's pretty sweet, better graphics, better damage, better EVERYTHING! Definitely worth checking out(actual release Nov. 13th)

For all you doubters (of the December 13th release of Prologue in U.S.). Remember what happened with the GTHD demo, a vast majority of people thought it would only release in Japan, and it was not even announced for U.S.. Everyone in North America rushed to create Japanese PSN accounts when none was needed. Americans happily downloaded it at the same time as Japan did. :) It would be a huge mistake for Sony during the holiday shopping season to not offer the gold standard a.k.a. GT in the U.S.. Failure for Sony right now is not an option. GRAN TURISMO IS A SYSTEM SELLER. I pray every day for Polyphony Digital to release it simultaneously. If IT DOES NOT RELEASE AT THE SAME, WHEN WILL IT RELEASE, IN JULY WHEN GT5's RELEASE IS LOOMING ONLY SIX MONTHS AWAY, WHY PAY 40 EXTRA DOLLARS THEN? :(

Edit: The new videos on the U.S. PSN signal Polyphony Digital's North American release intentions. We are an important market for the game. We accounted for more than half of GT4's sales. Our presence is felt. I am addressing Rocket punch's comments on how N.A. has a very small driving game market. Of the 9.2 million GT4 sales numbers, 5.7 million of those sales were from the U.S. and also half of all GT3 sales were made in the U.S. of A., statement Debunked.

...Remember what happened with the GTHD demo, a vast majority of people thought it would only release in Japan, and it was not even announced for U.S.. Everyone in North America rushed to create Japanese PSN accounts when none was needed. Americans happily downloaded it at the same time as Japan did...
Word.

I only hope it to be true...

Edit: The new videos on the U.S. PSN signal Polyphony Digital's North American release intentions. We are an important market for the game. We accounted for more than half of GT4's sales. Our presence is felt. I am addressing Rocket punch's comments on how N.A. has a very small driving game market. Of the 9.2 million GT4 sales numbers, 5.7 million of those sales were from the U.S. and also half of all GT3 sales were made in the U.S. of A., statement Debunked.

QFT!

Your source?

You are telling me 60% of GT4 world sales are from USA alone, and the other 40% is from the entire Asia and Europe combined???????????

If that happens to be true, so you are telling me their logic is a total disregard of a critical piece of their market (over 60% of their GT4 sales), by intentionally not releasing the demo in USA.

Here is my source:

"Sales chart:

In December 2006, Polyphony Digital published the sales chart. It is unsure if South East Asia region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand) includes China. It is unsure if Europe includes all PAL regions (Australia, New Zealand and Russia).[17]

The thousands of "not for sale" Demo discs versions, Gran Turismo 4 Prologue and Gran Turismo 4 Online test version are not included.

Gran Turismo 4

* 4,870,000 Flag of Europe Europe (2005/03/09 ~ 2006/12)
* 2,630,000 Flag of the United States North America (2005/02/22 ~ 2006/12)
* 1,160,000 Flag of Japan Japan (2004/12/28 ~ 2006/12)
* 70,000 Flag of Hong Kong South East Asia (2004/12/28 ~ 2006/12)
* 60,000 Flag of South Korea South Korea (2005/03/10 ~ 2006/12)
* 8,790,000 total sales (2004/12 ~ 2006/12)"

I am no rocket scientist, but I don't think 2,630,000 is 60% of 8,790,000, and that figure includes Canada.

By the way no one said the Prologue won't be release in USA, it just won't be on Dec 13.

It is a long known fact that Europe had a much much bigger driving game market for both console and PC race sims.

As much I would like this to happen, its not gonna. If I remember correctly there was a thread with an official press release stating that GT5:P will be out in Japan on Dec. 13th and a world-wide release in March.

Here is my source:

"Sales chart:

In December 2006, Polyphony Digital published the sales chart. It is unsure if South East Asia region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand) includes China. It is unsure if Europe includes all PAL regions (Australia, New Zealand and Russia).[17]

The thousands of "not for sale" Demo discs versions, Gran Turismo 4 Prologue and Gran Turismo 4 Online test version are not included.

Gran Turismo 4

* 4,870,000 Flag of Europe Europe (2005/03/09 ~ 2006/12)
* 2,630,000 Flag of the United States North America (2005/02/22 ~ 2006/12)
* 1,160,000 Flag of Japan Japan (2004/12/28 ~ 2006/12)
* 70,000 Flag of Hong Kong South East Asia (2004/12/28 ~ 2006/12)
* 60,000 Flag of South Korea South Korea (2005/03/10 ~ 2006/12)
* 8,790,000 total sales (2004/12 ~ 2006/12)"

I am no rocket scientist, but I don't think 2,630,000 is 60% of 8,790,000, and that figure includes Canada.

By the way no one said the Prologue won't be release in USA, it just won't be on Dec 13.

It is a long known fact that Europe had a much much bigger driving game market for both console and PC race sims.

I'm also no rocket scientist but from looking at the sales chart in your post, Europe gave away most of the money to Sony and PD followed by the US so I believe it would be smart on PD and Sony's part to release it world wide if they want to keep the PS3 floating in rough water. 7.5 million copies of GT4 were snatched up by US and European gamers with only 1.1 million by Japanese gamers. I think they should really look at the numbers and make a wise decisions, especially with the holiday season just around the corner.

I just looked at Wikipedia and sales of the PS3 as of September 30th is at 5.59 million units. The US sales is around 1,750,000 units, European sales is around 1,300,000 units (released 4 months later) with Japan at 1,143,798 units. Just looking at these numbers, Sony and PD can profit a lot more with releasing Prologue worldwide instead of just in Japan. Not only will they sell more units of Prologue but that will most likely get more people to buy the PS3 or get their parents/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/rich uncle to buy them the PS3 this holiday season.

It's a Prologue of GT5 with only 40 cars and 7 or 8 tracks, right? Would it be that hard for them and would it take that long to translate everything over to English? There's no modifications or tuning involved for the cars in Prologue so that would make it even easier, I would think. Anyone who knows about game developement want to enlighten us on how hard it would be to do a translation on a game the size of GT5 Prologue?:)

My theory is in addition to localization of the build, it had a lot to do with the online side of the game.

A lot of people might hate me for saying this, but IMO there is a very high probability that the online multiplayer part of the game will not work for people outside of Asia who imported the JPN/Asia version of the Prologue.

Would it be that hard for them and would it take that long to translate everything over to English? There's no modifications or tuning involved for the cars in Prologue so that would make it even easier, I would think. Anyone who knows about game developement want to enlighten us on how hard it would be to do a translation on a game the size of GT5 Prologue?:)
The GT HD demo had very little to translate, and I'm betting that english-izing Prologue wouldn't be much harder. But there's another factor to consider. Along with making sure the server infrastructure is in place to handle up to 16 car races, there are the other online components also, things like GT TV. I'm not sure how intent Polyphony is on having that in place, or whether it's high on our want list on launch.

Personally I'd settle for having test patterns there at first until the system is running, and I'm sure Sony is looking at all the options to get Prologue on our shelves as soon as they can. They know this Christmas will be an important opportunity to get the PS3 sold in big numbers, and Gran Turismo is a big part of that buyer incentive. When America accounts for more than a third of all GT sales, they know who needs to be kept happy.

As much as I love the addition of online capabilities to prologue, I think it forces PD to contain the initial release to their "local" market in order to test online play. IMHO the worldwide release will be contingent on the success of the "local" test. If it works well, the rest of us will see it sooner, if not, then we are going to have to wait.

Also....if you look closely at the new PS3 commercial were the PS3 morphs into all these different themes/characters from different games, you know the new one that anounces the new PS3 price starting at $399. They show a clip from GT5-P (the red F430 coming around the corner). Now if they're not planning on a Dec. 13th US release...why put that clip in the commercial???

Also....if you look closely at the new PS3 commercial were the PS3 morphs into all these different themes/characters from different games, you know the new one that anounces the new PS3 price starting at $399. They show a clip from GT5-P (the red F430 coming around the corner). Now if they're not planning on a Dec. 13th US release...why put that clip in the commercial???
That's actually a really good point, and perhaps the best sign that GT5:P may get released in the US before the year is up.

BTW: Here is a LINK to that new commercial being shown in the US.

Here are the games that it shows actual clips of:
  • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Warhawk
  • Heavenly Sword
Besides GT5:P, all of these are already out, except for Uncharted, which comes out next week. I think you are definitely onto something. 👍

Granted, this is hardly any kind of official announcement, so if it doesn't happen, let's try and keep that in mind before we light the proverbial torches come this Christmas. ;)

I'm sure that sony wants us to know that gt or some form of it :gt5p is coming soon but how does this confirm gt5p in the states for dec. 13 ?

I'm sure Sony would love to have a worldwide release, but its going to depend on how fast PD can give it to them ...

I'm sure that sony wants us to know that gt or some form of it :gt5p is coming soon but how does this confirm gt5p in the states for dec. 13 ?
Did he say it was a confirmation that it was? I'm pretty sure he didn't... only that it is a good sign that it might, right?

Back