GT5P Blu-ray vs. GT5P Download

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 67 comments
GTP_HAAS599
your kiddin' right?
GT5 Prologue will be released in two forms.

A Blu-ray disc and a PSN download.

A lot of people, including myself, are saying they plan on getting the game on Blu-ray.

What I would like to know is if anyone feels that one version might be better than the other

On the Blu-ray side there is the definite advantage of having a physical item that you can take to a friends house or whatever.

But is there a performance difference between the two?

Would the Hard drive version load faster or play better online?

Racing + lag = frustration so I would like to have as little lag as possible.

The Sin of Long Loading Times

19981118h.jpg

I will buy game as download if it is possible. I just so easy to jump from game to game without discs. And most likely it will be cheaper.
Gameplay will the same as bluray version caches data to hard drive. Also Download version might load bit faster. And of course you don't have worry about scratches to disc :)

If it is like Warhawk it still installs everything to the hard drive and the disc just acts like a boot disc. It will either be that or just caching each track's data as you go to race on that specific track.

I'm going to buy it (if it's worth it :sly:). I can't buy anything online because I don't have a credit card.

And

I can sell the dvd when I have no further use for it.

Probably will download it.... Warhawk was a download and seem to be fine. It's nice having some games on Hard Drive where I can be lazy and just sit on the couch without moving and being able to switch from game to game. I will say that if hard copies are available at launch, I will get the disk, otherwise it's a download for me.

Also Download version might load bit faster.
While on-line, you will have to deal with the lowest common denominator. If, and it still remains to be seen, if Prologue takes longer to load from disc, a room with 16 players is bound to have one person with a disc version, therefore, all players wait for the one who has the disc (if it is the slow one) or for the last person to run back from the bathroom or fridge between races.

It won't matter.

of course you don't have worry about scratches to disc :)
Of course, you do realise that the B-R disc has a scratch resistance coating, right? If you didn't have trouble with a DVD version, then don't expect any at all with the new discs.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Rather download than disk! swapping is nasty! Having warhawk always available is really sweet, just like stardust etc.

Well, you seem to have answered the question yourself for the mostpart, pointing out the obvious pros and cons.

But, might as well point out one clear advantage over the Blu-ray disc.
If something happens your hard drive or anything, you can probably download it for free again since it's under your account name and they will probably allow you to download it to your ps3 as many times as you like.
On the other hand, if you lose or damage the disk, chances are that's probably it for your game. I don't think they'll allow you to copy it to the HD and run the game with out the disc, otherwise multiple copies on multiple ps3's would be inevitable from one disc. Unless they added a product key of some sort... and then it would be the same as it would probably be registred online also. (doubtfull, considering a lot of people don't hook up their console online, so i'm gonna go with if you lose it you lose it for good as a safe assumption.)

So, that's one advantage. You'll probably be able to download it a limitless amount of times from your account. (Don't know about other ps3's using your account, but i doubt it. Even though they should let you considering you could use multiple ps3's or the old one could fail, etc.)

The other more obvious advantage is availability, specially if you plan on buying the japanese version, you'll just be able to get it as soon as it comes out. (that's assuming you somehow got pre-paid japanese PSN cards which you can buy online from an import store, cause they won't take foregin CC's.)

Even the US version is going to be a lot better if bought online for a lot of people that don't live in the US, but can buy from that store with out much drama such as myself.

Some people might consider having the physical box an advantage since you could probably resale it if you get bored, but other than that the other advantages are cosmetic really. (like "ohhh, what a pretty box and disc!)

But other than that i think it's safe to say, that for long term the online version is probably gonna last you as long as the PSN allows you to download it, which i presume is going to be a very long time.

Anyway, i'm not 100% sure they'll allow you to download it multiple times from your account, but i don't see why not, since like i said, it will be marked by the PSN as purchased by you.

What I would like to know is if anyone feels that one version might be better than the other
A similar discussion came up in the Warhawk thread regarding the choices between the Blu-ray disc version and the PSN version.

Here is basically what I said:

Advantages to Games on Discs
  • It doesn't take up any space on the HDD.
  • If you have a lot of games and demos on your HDD, it can be easier to find.
  • It can be easily played on other people's PS3s.
  • It likely has extra content.
  • It can be sold.
Advantages to Downloadable Games
  • You do not have to go to a store or order them online and wait to get it while possibly paying more for shipping.
  • They don't take up space on your shelves.
  • There are no discs that require you to get up and insert and remove.
  • It will have faster load times.
  • It can't get lost or physically damaged, and can be replaced instantly and free of charge.
Considering people have different priorities and needs, which to choose really comes down to which advantages mean the most to each person.

The demo alone is close to 800mb, how large would you think the final build would be? If you only play 1 game on your ps3, then fine. Unlike PC you can't simply just add more HD storage to it, and with the trend of add-on contents on many many titles you will need to allow a portion for such expansions. I would rather leave more room on my HD than stuffing it to the brim with DL game which I have now way to back it up if I have to.

I personally feel I have more options on managing the consoles storage with a hardcopy. Hey, but thats just me.

A similar discussion came up in the Warhawk thread regarding the choices between the Blu-ray disc version and the PSN version.

Here is basically what I said:

Advantages to Games on Discs
  • It doesn't take up any space on the HDD.
Except that in the Warhawk case it did, but as a fully online only game I imagine this was a one-time deal.

Unlike PC you can't simply just add more HD storage to it,
Actually you can put a new HDD in your PS3. I can't remember who but one of our members has, or plans to, drop a 120gb in their PS3.

Except that in the Warhawk case it did, but as a fully online only game I imagine this was a one-time deal.

Actually you can put a new HDD in your PS3. I can't remember who but one of our members has, or plans to, drop a 120gb in their PS3.

Well, if you crack it open you can pretty much do anything with it. I am talking about a way to add storage as intend by SONY. For people who need to debate about whether to get the disk version or not, I don't think disassembling their PS3 is part of their option.

The demo alone is close to 800mb, how large would you think the final build would be? If you only play 1 game on your ps3, then fine. Unlike PC you can't simply just add more HD storage to it
Actually you can.
In fact, as seen in that thread some people have upgraded the internal HDD with 250 GB drives, and using the PS3's Backup Utility to restore everything from the previous drive... and of course you can also re-download any game you have already downloaded before.

I'm about to replace my 60 GB drive with a new Western Digital 160GB Whisper Quiet HDD, and I have already been using a 160 GB and 500 GB external USB drives.

I would rather leave more room on my HD than stuffing it to the brim with DL game which I have now way to back it up if I have to.
For me, as discussed in the 3rd Party Hardware thread linked above, it's not the space on the HDD that is a problem seeing as you can always get larger drives whenever you want, but it's the lack of being able to custom organize your content that I don't like.

If you are like me, and have several hundred different pics, songs, videos, and about 50 game demos and 20 PSN games, without custom folders in each of those catagories, it makes it much more difficult to find the exact game, video, song, and pic you are looking for in a relatively short amount of time. As such, I am holding out hope that with the upcoming 2.0 system update, Sony might address this issue.

Well, if you crack it open you can pretty much do anything with it. I am talking about a way to add storage as intend by SONY. For people who need to debate about whether to get the disk version or not, I don't think disassembling their PS3 is part of their option.
You may want to read the PS3 User Manuals more closely... specifically page 16 of the Safty & Support Manual.

Sony even gives instructions on how to do it, and it also doesn't void your warranty. I think you are mistaking the 360 for the PS3, which not only will void your warranty, but Microsoft is very much against allowing 3rd party hardware support and of course no support for other operating systems. :)

That sounded so much easier than buying the disk. ;)

I already knew you can "upgrade" the drive......but just like I said you can't simply "add" more storage to it like a PC, well unless you can run games off a USB external drive which I don't think you can. Besides do you have unlimited downloads on all games? or can you backup an install of a particular game like in PC?

By the way how can you fit 50 game demos and 20 PSN games in a 60gb (only 45+ gb usable)?

Pako dropped a 160Gb drive in his PS3 in his Linux on the PS3 thread wayyyyyy back...

I already knew you can "upgrade" the drive
OK, I guess it just sounded like you might not have.

......but just like I said you can't simply "add" more storage to it like a PC, well unless you can run games off a USB external drive which I don't think you can.
Not as of yet, but games only make up some of the content. I have about five times more disc space allocated towards video and music than I do games... which is one of the reasons I moved all that content to USB drives... which of course you can add, swap out, etc, any time you like.

Besides do you have unlimited downloads on all games?
There is no limit to the number of times you can download a game that you have already purchased. And as long as a demo is still available, you can download those as many times as your heart desires.

or can you backup an install of a particular game like in PC?
Yes, you can do that as well as part of the Backup Utility, which is ideal for backing up and restoring all your games rather than downloading or restoring one game at a time.

By the way how can you fit 50 game demos and 20 PSN games in a 60gb (only 45+ gb usable)?
48GB is usable for content from the 60GB (55GB), and it's easy... just download them. :)

Here are the games that are currently on my 60GB (55GB) HDD... but about to be copied over to the new 160GB HDD:

(GTTV is video content of course, but as it is added to the game file I added them here as well... but if you don't want to add them, that's even more space for games)

1. 114 Mainichi Issyo
  2. 736 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  3. 87 GTTV - Trailer: Best Motoring
  4. 45 GTTV - D1 Grand Prix Series: Top of the Drifting World
  5. 48 GTTV - Super GT Climax Digest: Autobac
  6. 640 GT-TV Special: Lancer Evolution X
  7. 479 GT-TV Special: Tokyo Motorshow 2007
  8. 1296 Folklore - PlayStation Underground
  9. 969 Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
  10. 469 GI Jockey 4
  11. 903 Imabikisou
  12. 1149 Heavenly Sword - Kai
  13. 1108 NHL 2K8
  14. 1609 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  15. 542 Conan
  16. 629 The Simpsons Game
  17. 865 Bladestorm
  18. 987 Record of Agarest War
  19. 632 Gran Turismo: HD Concept 1.1
  20. 38 Summer Holiday
  21. 580 Genji: Days of the Blade
  22. 453 MotorStorm
  23. 679 Formula One: Championship Edition
  24. 287 NBA 2K8
  25. 821 Clive Barker's Jericho
  26. 714 SEGA Rally Revo
  27. 608 Stuntman: Ignition
  28. 977 Skate
  29. 1517 Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground
  30. 888 NBA 08
  31. 342 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  32. 42 PixelJunk Racers
  33. 685 NHL 08
  34. 732 FIFA 08
  35. 1337 Strangehold
  36. 661 NBA Live 08
  37. 52 Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
  38. 729 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
  39. 607 All Pro Football 2K8
  40. 569 NASCAR 08
  41. 1107 Folklore
  42. 553 DiRT
  43. 728 NCAA Football 08
  44. 140 Piyotama
  45. 780 Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  46. 1444 The Darkness
  47. 996 Heavenly Sword - Nariko
  48. 106 XI[sai]
  49. 137 Nucleus
  50. 300 Super Stardust HD
  51. 449 Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
  52. 192 Calling All Cars
  53. 49 Joust
  54. 86 Rampage
  55. 93 Go! Puzzle
  56. 189 Super Rub-a-Dub
  57. 983 Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  58. 819 Virtua Tennis 3
  59. 992 Armored Core 4
  60. 884 Major League Baseball 2K7
  61. 690 Gran Turismo: HD Concept V.2.0
  62. 242 Everybody's Golf 5
  63. 360 Def Jam: Icon
  64. 327 Ca$h Gun$ and Chao$
  65. 332 Grip Shift
  66. 161 Blast Factor
  67. 263 Lemmings
  68. 126 flOw
  69. 884 NBA 07
  70. 78 Go! Sudoku
  71. 9 Q*bert
  72. 866 Resistence: Fall of Man
  73. 586 Full Auto 2: Battlelines
  74. 394 Ridge Race 7

For a total of 42.97 GB... and my System Info says I still have 5.564 GB of usable space left. Which based on the average file size of all the PSN games and demos I currently have, that would leave room for about 10 more.... but this is also why I'm now upgrading to a 160GB drive... that, and it was less than $100. 👍

Have any more questions? ;)

I did not realize you can put so much to 60GB drive. I have deleted most of demos after playing them :)
You can fit between 65 and 75 games the same size as GT5:P Demo and GT:HD.

Based on the average size of the PSN games and demos on my HDD, I can fit about 80 of them on the 48.5 GB of available disc space.... or over 200 once I swap out the 60GB drive for the new 160GB drive.

BTW does PS3 have to defrag like PCs?
Good question. I suppose you could do this by removing the HDD and connecting it to your PC to defragment it. As long as the file system remains in FAT32 I wouldn't think there would be any problems with that.

On the other hand, I also suspect seeing as the PS3 not only uses FAT32, but is also not laden down with Windows style operating system, defragging the drive may not even be necessary. In fact, it is quite possible that the PS3 uses a "Zero Delete" operation when ever you delete a file.

Also, even if you found that the HDD was badly fragmented, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that when using the PS3's Backup Utility, it might automatically defrags the drive as part of the process.

Worse case scenario you can always make a backup to an external drive, then reformat the drive, and restore the backup.... although I suspect none of this is really likely going to be necessary for all but a small percentage of cases.

I suppose if it really concerns someone, all they have to do is make a backup (just to be safe), then remove the HDD and connect it to the PC and scan the disc to see just how fragmented the disc is. If they think it is really bad, and it may be effecting load times, or noticeably impacting the performance of the drive, then they can look into the various ways of defragging it.

Pako dropped a 160Gb drive in his PS3 in his Linux on the PS3 thread wayyyyyy back...
That may have been what I was thinking of.

I did not realize you can put so much to 60GB drive. I have deleted most of demos after playing them :)
I delete anything that I don't play a lot too. I am less concerned about space and more about not having to sort through all that list that DN has.

BTW does PS3 have to defrag like PCs?
Good question. I haven't seen any of the signs, such as mysteriously disappearing free space, slow load times, etc.

If it did become an issue I would bet an update would include the utility.

Where is the damage?
Huh? What damage? What does that have to do with this thread?

If the reports in Edge are true, then blu-ray is the best version.

according to them the download and disk are two different versions. The download will be cheaper but will lack some important features.

The blu-ray version will be more expensive, but will have the important features, including full weather effects, and for the first time in Gt, it will have damage effects in game.

this points to on-line between blu-ray vs blu-ray, and download vs download, with no cross over like warhawk.

I was going to get Prologue on Blu-ray anyway, as I want to have a Gran Turismo box between GT4 and 5. If Prologue on Blu-ray is going to be the premium edition, that's just icing to make it even sweeter.

If the reports in Edge are true, then blu-ray is the best version.

according to them the download and disk are two different versions. The download will be cheaper but will lack some important features.

The blu-ray version will be more expensive, but will have the important features, including full weather effects, and for the first time in Gt, it will have damage effects in game.

this points to on-line between blu-ray vs blu-ray, and download vs download, with no cross over like warhawk.

Ok, this just seems to dumb to be true, but if it was true. don't you think PD would've pointed this out by now?

PD has made it VERY clear, that damage won't ship in GT5:P, and you can bet your tie that it won't be there in GT5 final.

Just think of this for a minute, what would prevent PD from including damage and weather effects in the download version?

Sounds absurd. The only valid reason i can think of that the download might be cheaper is the lack of a box and arguably resale value.

Ok, this just seems to dumb to be true, but if it was true. don't you think PD would've pointed this out by now?

PD has made it VERY clear, that damage won't ship in GT5:P, and you can bet your tie that it won't be there in GT5 final.

Just think of this for a minute, what would prevent PD from including damage and weather effects in the download version?

Sounds absurd. The only valid reason i can think of that the download might be cheaper is the lack of a box and arguably resale value.

Agreed :) can't imagine why there would be different versions! The price difference would have to be less costs involved in packaging and no blu-ray disc etc....! Where is the sense in having 2 differing versions?

I thought Kaz said damage and weather were all going to be things they might implement in updates.

Either way if this rumor were true then I would bet there would be more than a $5 difference between the prices.

A link to the article would be helpful.

don't have a link it's in a british magazine, and a good one, but they seem to have a preview.

also remember that we have only played a demo of Gt5p, and one with cuts just to keep the demo to under a gig, the demo could easily been a few gig, with all the physics and sound effects in place.

if the reports are true this could decide how sony sell some future products, if people want cheap games then they can have them at the expense of pay to play features, £5- $10 for damage and other bits.

but even at a $5 difference if that sells a million copies, then that pays for the development cost for the extra features.

Back