GT5P controller input...wtf

• Thread starter zodicus
  • 37 comments
Zodicus / GTP_Zodicus
Xbox me no like
The input for the controller is WAY WAY to sensitive. It takes little to no pressure to hit full throttle or brake. This was a problem in GT 4 as well IMHO but it was easily fixed by bashing the poo out of the gas and brake button until you "desensitized" it, but at like 50 bucks for a 6 axis I'm not gonna do that for GT 5. I tried remapping the gas and brake to the L2 and R2 buttons but its still almost impossible to input anything less than 50%. The steering is also a bit touchy initially, and makes some cars like the EVO X feel very twitchy. I know someone is gonna say get a wheel, I have a DFP but i use that for GTR-2 on my PC. I've always preferred a controller on GT. When I want to play a full blown Sim that requires a wheel i play GTR. If they want to make GT like that, fine what ever, but either remap the inputs so its possible to play effectively with out aids, or give me the ability to set the input curves my self.

try using the knobs maybe? they are probably the most accurate way to modulate both throttle/brake input and turning input and since gt4, they have made it so you don't have to bind them. some people loop one end of an elastic band onto the knob, run the elastic around the controller vertically, then loop the other end of the elastic band back onto the same knob so that theres more resistance on the knobs. maybe its something to try if you want more accurate controls.

I agree 100%. This is the quote of a post I made in another thread regarding this issue:

G.T
James, I guess you use a controller!?
Yeah... I do. I would prefer the wheel as I would be smoother and more precise with it.

The complaint I have at the moment is I need to change the sensitivity of the buttons a little. The steering is a little too sensitive for me when I need adjust the car on a straight. I need to turn it down because I'm afraid I'll go onto the grass and totally embarass myself. And the triggers are too sensitive too - push them down half way and you pretty much have full throttle - they need to be 100%/100%. I'm used to the X360 controller where the triggers are really good to use - the Playstation ones are awkward. They have the sensitivity right too (Forza 2).

But yes, I NEED a wheel... but I don't have the room to have one since I don't like sitting 15 inches from my screen if I attached it to the desk, so I'd need a proper cockpit...

I would be very happy if PD gives us sensitivity options sometime in the future, otherwise I'll have to put up with it or somehow buy a wheel...

By the way - I would change the title to something more appropiate and more informative like "GT5P controller input sensitivity too high" so other people know what this thread is about straight away. 👍

*sigh*

Well, to stay on topic. I do agree about the control pad on the PS3 being way too sensitive for GT5P. This is why I haven't been able to net better than a 2.44:xxx with the GT-R on N3 tires, Professional, manual and all assists off.:lol:

Not suprised because I've never been good with racing with any type of control pads. I'm horrible with the 360 pad on Forza 2 but with the MS wheel, it's a night and day difference.

The input for the controller is WAY WAY to sensitive. It takes little to no pressure to hit full throttle or brake...
Word. I noticed this last night as well. I think I may have actually noticed a bit of residual throttle, even after backing off completely...seriously.

Something I did notice is that PD has finally started to really tweak the differences between transmissions, in gameplay.

What do I mean?

First off, the Evo shifts lightning fast with its Dual-clutch box. The IS-F being a car that will only be available with a slushbox actually behaves as such. Put it on course, and bring it to a dead stop, then release the brake. What does the car do, exactly what an automatic should do ;)

Yes, it is too sensitive in the GT5P demo. Braking does not feel incremental and you seem to be at full braking way too early.
A sensitivity option for braking, acceleration and steering would be great unless PD fiddle with it in the mean time.

Yes, it is too sensitive in the GT5P demo. Braking does not feel incremental and you seem to be at full braking way too early.
A sensitivity option for braking, acceleration and steering would be great unless PD fiddle with it in the mean time.

That is a problem I noticed with the DFP

With the DFP you can hit the rev limiter at 30% throttle input. I didn't check but I'm sure the brakes operate at 100% even with only 30% input. This of course needs to be fixed. When cornering if you get on the accelerator anymore than 25% you're almost at WOT and it gives you huge understeer or if you are on the exit you get oversteer and spin out

I hate to be the one to go against the grain here.... but i don't see a problem with the sensitivity of the controller..... it seems just the same as it was with gt4 (IMO) and the throttle is definately not just off or on....??? just takes patience and a soft thumb ;)

perhaps if anything the braking as others have noted.... may lean toward the sensitive side... but even the braking if you get yr pressure right is incremental...

anyway i have no problem with the sensitivities of the setup! :) sorry to hear about everone elses woes!

if it's really a big issue for you, i would recommend getting a wheel as it's a MILLION times better to play GT with IMHO.

I'm holding off from getting the G25 as i'm sure there will be a new wheel when the full GT5 comes out... so for now the DFP will have to do.

I hate to be the one to go against the grain here.... but i don't see a problem with the sensitivity of the controller..... it seems just the same as it was with gt4 (IMO) and the throttle is definately not just off or on....??? just takes patience and a soft thumb ;)

perhaps if anything the braking as others have noted.... may lean toward the sensitive side... but even the braking if you get yr pressure right is incremental...

anyway i have no problem with the sensitivities of the setup! :) sorry to hear about everone elses woes!

As i stated in the OP I think GT4 was this way as well but, if you pound the crap out of the X and Square buttons you can make them less sensitive. This unfortuantly shortens the life of those buttons quite a bit. at like $60 for a six axis i really dont want to do that. What would be sweet is if they would let US calibrate the buttons, let us set what pressure is needed to hit full throttle. No one is saying its on/off but its soooo sensitive it might as well be.

Intrestingly enough, while i personally have G25 cockpit etc. these days I find my self using the control for when I am dossing about. It is only when I want to go for fast times do I plug in the old logitec. The sensetivity makes it fun, but not entirely useful for lapping quickly, so its really a choice, fun? or fast?. Thats the case for me at least.

Use a wheel and I am not talking the G25. Any FFB wheel is better than the controller, you can probably get the wingman wheel (the GT3 wheel) for $40USD.

I haven't liked the Sixaxis in any racing game so far. That may just be because I got used to the DFP, but I really do have trouble using the controller. On the PS2, before getting my DFP, I was pretty good at regulating my throttle input. Since my PS2 has been retired I can't really test if it is the controller or me.

That is a problem I noticed with the DFP

With the DFP you can hit the rev limiter at 30% throttle input. I didn't check but I'm sure the brakes operate at 100% even with only 30% input. This of course needs to be fixed. When cornering if you get on the accelerator anymore than 25% you're almost at WOT and it gives you huge understeer or if you are on the exit you get oversteer and spin out
I can guarantee that the brakes don't do 100% immediately with the pedals. When passing inside on a turn I tend to ease on the brakes and then apply heavy force as I shoot past the other car to get control just before turning.

My style hasn't changed much from my driving in GT4 and I seem to be working as I expected to with the new physics.

I can guarantee that the brakes don't do 100% immediately with the pedals. When passing inside on a turn I tend to ease on the brakes and then apply heavy force as I shoot past the other car to get control just before turning.
My style hasn't changed much from my driving in GT4 and I seem to be working as I expected to with the new physics.

Same here. Played with a DFP for a looong time, and I use a G25 now. The brake and gas act as they always have (possibly even better, the DFP was kinda worn), and even with the controller I can still modulate the accelerator and brake buttons with some degree of accuracy. It just takes some practice and the right touch. I remember schooling people on GT3 because they couldn't figure out how to not roast the tires coming out of a corner in 2nd.

The DS2 had pressure sensitive buttons. The SIXAXIS does not.

[/]

If you don't have a wheel and don't like using the stick for accelerator/brakes, just switch the control to the triggers. That's always made more sense to me, anyway. The triggers are now even more like actual pedals. And they have a lot more apparent travel.

The SIXAXIS does have analogue buttons. Play some MGS4 and you'll see.

Not in GT4 it doesn't. Nor, apparently, GT5: Prologue (Demo).

[Famine will be mainly button-bashing yet again in the 8th biannual UKGTP tournament this weekend]

I have just been playing GTR2 with me G25 wheel, and the force feedback feels good. I just feel there should be more feedback, or at least have the option in GT5P and the full game. These G25's are not cheap, however i picked up 2 for £300, and also i have only ever bought a playstation for the GT series. Yes i have raced a car in the past and won a champioship, in case you are thinking i am a newbie. :)

I have just been playing GTR2 with me G25 wheel, and the force feedback feels good. I just feel there should be more feedback, or at least have the option in GT5P and the full game. These G25's are not cheap, however i picked up 2 for £300, and also i have only ever bought a playstation for the GT series. Yes i have raced a car in the past and won a champioship, in case you are thinking i am a newbie. :)

I agree:tup:, I still wonder how GTR, and GTR2 (best-race sim I've ever played) can still out-perform console games, espeacially with the amount of production GT5 has had, and the capabilities the PS3 is capable of, not only when it comes to FFB but also physics(the only thing GT5 has got going for me is graphics)... they should be embarassed.:dunce:

But like they say this is a work in progress so we will just have to wait and see what PD comes out with.

But like they say this is a work in progress so we will just have to wait and see what PD comes out with.

Oh yes i agree there, i accept totally that its work in progress, not like some posts here that seem to be wanting more out of a demo, as i said in another post post, it is nice to have something rather then nothing. I cant wait for the full blown game, however i would rather wait for the game to be right outa the box. :)

-> I had that same problem since GTHD, somehow I'm unable to modulate my controller. Back in GT4 I was flawless with the DS2, I think this may have to do with the Siaxiss controller. The controller itself is way too sensitive, but when I play Sonic collection game, the Siaxxis is lagging way worse than my turbo lag on my wagon. :indiff:

-> I really do hope they'll improve this when they release the Dual Shock 3.

Not in GT4 it doesn't. Nor, apparently, GT5: Prologue (Demo).

[Famine will be mainly button-bashing yet again in the 8th biannual UKGTP tournament this weekend]

I just double checked GT5:P (had to wait for the HD video downloads to complete >< ) and the SA is most certainly pressure sensitive on the buttons in the demo. Pretty decent range of sensitivity, too.

----------------
Now playing: Steve Gibson with Leo Laporte - Security Now 115: Perfect Paper Passwords - sponsored by Astaro Corp.
via FoxyTunes

Buttons are pressure sensitive here too... And I recall the same in GT4.

Edit: Yep, the SIXAXIS is definitely pressure sensitive in GT4

Back