GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
wait... was the veyron standard in GT5? i never played it.
The bugatti Veyron first appeared in Gran Turismo PSP which's of course released on the PSP...:P

hqdefault.jpg

So this is the reason why the veyron, the 2 Lamborghini Countach's, Pescarolo C60 Hybride Judd Race Car ’05, Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) ’09 and other cars were standard in Gran Turismo 5.

Bugatti-Veyron-16.4-2009-route-x.jpg

audi_r8_race_car__audi_playstation_team_oreca____05_by_lubeify200-d5hg9xe.jpg

5333364244_a0788b9b80_b.jpg

LamborghiniCountach25thAnniversary.jpg

5MBk4.jpg

Jaguar-XFR-10.jpg

(This Jaguar XFR never appeared in GTPSP but still appeared as Standard in GT5. Probably they didn't have enough time to include it in the GTPSP so they just throw it in GT5 later).
Okay....that's enough....

Alright, time for the next duel of the week and this time I thought I would try something different. This week's duel is......

jgtc2001_picture%20(19).jpg

7394052758_243159c3fc_b.jpg

The Japanese JGTC cars!!!
Thought I would try and see how a class battle would work out. Here are the rules for this battle.

• Any JGTC cars (Skyline R34, Supra, or NSX) from '99-'01 are allowed.
  • When you cast your vote, say either Skyline, Supra, or NSX.
Hopefully this makes sense and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. So with that, let the battle begin.
Why not from '03?

The Diablo would have been my gut choice too.

What is left...
PENNZOIL Nismo GT-R
Raybrig NSX
Castrol Mugen NSX
ARTA NSX
Castrol TOM'S SUPRA
DENSO SARD SUPRA GT
CALSONIC SKYLINE
LOCTITE ZEXEL GT-R
Mobil 1 NSX
LOCTITE MUGEN NSX
Pennzoil ZEXEL GT-R
au CERUMO SUPRA
Castrol TOM'S SUPRA
XANAVI HIROTO GT-R

I'd have to pick the ARTA NSX as my pre test favourite, as the team has the ARTA GALS (Race Queen - Team Mascot - Grid Girls.) -

I wish I had the money in GT to test drive all of these. I'd have to run the Red Bull standard championship like, 5 times...and I'm far too lazy for that.

I've narrowed it down to the Castrol Mugen NSX, Castrol Tom's Supra, and Calsonic Skyline. Those are the only 3 I've spent some good time with over the last decade and a half...Love them all. If I had to pick only one, then I think I'd go with the NSX.

Yea I forgot to mention that you don't have to drive every single one in the class, just one from each manufacturer.

Can this one enter in this week duel?

ShowroomEssoUltraflowSupra.jpg

Why they didn't bring it back? They could just make it say Exxon on the US copy and Esso on Pal and Japanese ones.... wait wouldn't that confuse players while playing online? If that displaying a car with different texture would be possible....

Actually they could just throw the both types in the game (Esso and Exxon) and make one of them available to buy meanwhile the other is hidden inside the files (unobtainable). Just like how GT2 US copy had couple hidden cars with the esso logo on it instead of Exxon

But what if some european player drove an Esso Ultraflo Supra online? And some North american player was able to see him driving one, wouldn't PD get any licensing issues for that?

Maybe they should add that car to the game but make them only be usable in offline mode......

oh just forget it...

Anyway, this is the first 3 cars duel ever in this thread. I think they are all pretty good JGTC Cars.

I got this feeling that the NSX would be the fastest yet it's the most oversteering one. Meanwhile the GT-R would be the most balanced one since....wait... they are FR instead of 4WD....

Anyway, I got feelings that the supra is gonna be the slowest one between the all three.

Only way to find out is to come back to GT6 and test them all.

Amazingly I didn't own any of these!

The Tests - (Did I just spend - 10,500,000 Kazulas on 14 cars? Yup.)

Day one The Liam Neeson GT-R track day at Laguna Seca

PENNZOIL Nismo GT-R '99
Uses ABS - Soft car for soft drivers

(Insert PP score)
498bhp - 72 torques - 1200kg - FR - RH - 54:46 (200/450) - PENNZOIL Nismo GT-R '99

Livery - Very simple and distinctive Black and Yellow - Nice Blacked out headlamps.

Laguna Seca
1m24.887 - 7m09.180 (ABS=1)

I'm no fan of ABS - so ABS=1 felt horrible into corners, The car was nice enough - A bit ponderous through corners stable under brakes. Out of corner I didn't feel like the raw power of the Turbocharged Straight six was in any danger of spooling the rear Bridgestone's up.

1m24.806 - 7m07.789 (ABS=0)
Had a few more moments but the car was more like what I am used to. Lost a bit of time in traffic The car is a bit of a truck at times to place but pretty stable if you do get clobbered (A lot of weight up front compared to certain Mid Engined sports cars.)

Normally I don't like the GT-R but when it doesn't have all wheel drive it is much more fun for me to manhandle about.

This car *should* be everyone's choice, as it is the only car with ABS

============================

2000 - Y2K bug destroys every ABS in JGTC - Happy days!

Calsonic Skyline '00
571pp
469bhp - 70 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 54:46 - (200/450) - CALSONIC SKYLINE '00

Livery - Distinctive and very simple - Not as good as the Pennzoil one though. I'd prefer it if the blue was darker (Like say a Tyrell-Cosworth from 1973 with the classic easy to read "elf" logos - but this cars look is a carbon copy of the R32 Skyline that crushed the Sierra Cosworth.

Laguna Seca
1m23.286 - 7m03.200

I prefered this Impul GT-R to the 99 Nismo GT-R, Car was a bit more grippy through corners and gave a bit of a waggle out of them under power. More fun to drive. I could over take on the outside of corners without much grumbling from me.

==============

LOCTITE ZEXEL GT-R '00

571pp
469bhp - 70 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 54:46 (200/450) - LOCTITE ZEXEL GT-R '00

Livery - Simple Raked logos, Red on mostly White car. Big #1 on the car is the highpoint of an otherwise lack lustre livery.

Laguna Seca
1m23.222 - 7m02.712

This car felt good too - Eager, If anything more power on oversteer than the Impul GTR (Calsonic)

=============

PENNZOIL ZEXEL GT-R '01

568pp
473bhp - 70 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 53:47 (200/450) - PENNZOIL ZEXEL GT-R '01

Livery - A Classic design with the White Zexel rear bit bolted on - Not a good looker.

Laguna Seca
1m23.918 - 7m03.248

Car felt a smidge scrappy at times, Loose inconsistent - Maybe the more central weight distribution?

==============

XANAVI HIROTO GT-R '01

573pp
473bhp - 70 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 53:47 (200/450) - XANAVI HITOTO GT-R '01

Livery - Horror show of grey and watery blue. with a few yellow highlights - Terrible. Worst Livery Ever.

Laguna Seca
1m23.256 - 7m01.029

Somewhere it earns another 5pp over the other 01 GT-R - This car felt much more dialled in mid corner stability impressed me after the Zexel GT-R.

So which Skyline?
One of them stands out as an instant choice, but let's look at the evidence...

The all have the same aero. The 99 car has more (peak) power but a lot more lumber to lug about.
The 99 is out as it uses the novice driver aid (ABS) - Which is a shame as the Livery is the best of the 5 Skylines.

The 01 cars are more fun to drive, but are retina meltingly awful to look at. Of the year 2000 cars, the Impul (Calsonic) car has the looks evokes the R32 that dominated in the early 90's And wasn't a slow poke. The Loctite Zexel has a "meh" livery. The 01' cars are fast but their naff liveries hurt them.

1st - Calsonic SKYLINE '00
2nd - LOCTITE ZEXEL GT-R '00
3rd - XANAVI HIROTO GT-R '01
4th - PENNZOIL ZEXEL GT-R '01
5th - PENNZOIL Nismo GT-R '99

The Calsonic SKYLINE advances to the final show down.

Ok, thanks for this battle! I just rembered how much I love the Loctite Mugen NSX!

I have driven all of these cars. I like the handling of TOM's Castrol Supra. And that is the only Supra I like the handling of.

On to the GT-R. I have not liked a single of these.

NSX - This is where the fun is at. They handle great, and have some decent pick-up. I am in no way a NSX fanboy for the street car though. So don't get your torches out please.

I CHOOSE THE NSX!

Last edited:
I wish I had the money in GT to test drive all of these. I'd have to run the Red Bull standard championship like, 5 times...and I'm far too lazy for that.

You don't need to test all of them. Some of them are identical.

Raybrig NSX = Castrol Mugen NSX = ARTA NSX
Castrol TOM'S SUPRA = DENSO SARD SUPRA GT ('00)
au CERUMO SUPRA = Castrol TOM'S SUPRA ('01)

Don't know the rest of them by heart...

SVX
The Nomad was a JGTC car, though...

Unless it was GT300 (@hsv), if so carry on.
It was a GT500 car.

Bagging 12th at Mine was the best JLOC could muster.

Last edited:
Next - The Toy Yoda Supra.

A mainstay of Gran Turismo- the Supra has been brutally put into 3rd class accomodation due to the obsession PD has with all things Nismo. I've always been a Supra fan over the GT-R - Mostly down to my issues with the dreaded understeer. So let us look at this quartet of 2 litre, 4 cylinder turbo charged pieces of automotive art.

Castrol TOM'S SUPRA ' 00

569pp
463bhp - 66 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 51:49 (200/450) - Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '00

Masanori Sekiya's final drive before his retirement. He won the 1995 24 hours of LeMans in the McLaren GTR - so maybe some of that endurance magic will make the car feel a bit special?

Livery - Classic castrol white red and green, Superior to the Black red and Green of the Castrol NSX? Maybe. It definatly works well with the natural flowing swoops of the car

Laguna Seca
1m24.434 - 7m07.217

Car was okay - Engine note is a bit lacking, Car was a bit unstable in "nascar formations" (Other cars jostling) and a bit nervous into corners - Took me a few laps to dial that in, and probably a few more to get close to what the car can do. In corners it felt a bit hard to read as to just how far it would rotate and if any of the tyres would give up on you.

===========================

DENSO SARD SUPRA GT '00

569pp
463bhp - 66 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 51:49 (200/450) - DENSO SARD SUPRA GT '00

Ralph Firman car - great livery. Sigma Advanced Racing Development - They have raced with plenty of misfortune at LeMans - infact they were the very first Japanese team to tackle the event way back in the 1870's (Just kidding, 1973 in a Mazda rotary powered car, I think)

Livery - Red and White, Always reminds me of a Kabuki style Oni (Demon) face mask. - Another solid livery.

Laguna Seca
1m23.126 - 7m02.993

Hmm. The car felt all over the show in the opening laps, but once you are on an open track the car just revealed itself. If I had stopepd after 3 laps I would have said it is a pup, After 5 laps I was tempted to run the race again. The car has alot of Available oversteer which once you manage it is a joy to sldie through corners - It isn't as robust as the GT-R in traffic.

===================

au CERUMO SUPRA '01

569pp
463bhp - 65 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 51:49 (200/450) - au CERUMO SUPRA '01

Won the 2001 season due to avoiding weight penalties. - I think you have to say it was always in with a shout. and not a crasher and the mechanics did their part. But being English we usually root for the underdog, and this bucket of bolts won the title!

Livery - Grey and Orange? Subtle but neither striking nor memorable. If it had White or Black maybe, but it has Grey.

Laguna Seca
1m23.262 - 6m58.850

Surprisingly fast - At times it didn't feelthat fast to me,Just getting the job done. I had a big power oversteer slide on the exit of Turn 3L - which was very controlable and made me feel very comfortable with the car which I initially didn't like the look of. Kind of growing on me now. (Or am I just dialing into what you need to drive a Supra, fast?)

========================

Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '01

A Non Sekiya driven Castrol Supra - Don't fret, he is the team Boss now...

Livery - Bit of a step down - maybe a green set of rear wheels? After the nice curves on the previous models this slabs O' Colour scheme seems a bit naff.

569pp
463bhp - 65 Torques - 1100kg - FR - RH - 51:49 (200/450) - Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '01

Laguna Seca
1m23.360 - 7m07.865 (+4 seconds)

Didn't feel as tight as the Cerumo car, but came good near the end but was punted off on the final lap - a Supra weakness it seems) - Livery doesn't get any prettier to have to look at.

====

And the winner is...

The good livery and good speed makes the Sigma Advanced Racing Development car the winner, the Cerumo was much better than I expected and maybe the Livery will look better whenmy eyes are full of spray from my own bottle of "Top Step" Champagne.
- Everything looks better covered in Champagne.
The Wonky au CERUMO Sticker on the side of the car also makes my blood boil - the SARD is just simple and striking livery.

1st - DENSO SARD SUPRA GT '00
2nd - au CERUMO SUPRA '01
3rd - Castrol TOM's SUPRA '00
4th - Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '01

Next Round, the Honda NSX
Which will meet the Calsonic GT-R and the SARD SUPRA in the final? (The ARTA NSX obviously)

The NSX - Mid Engined, Naturally Aspirated, Three and a half litre V6 - These car looks fast.

Raybrig NSX '00
Striking livery, eye meltingly bright purple/blue top and a very subtle dirt hiding dark grey on the lower half and the wheels. Odd how much I like this compared to the XANAVI HIROTO GT-R

560pp
481bhp - 41 Torques - 1150kg - MR - RH - 45:55 (200/450) - Raybrig NSX '00

Laguna Seca
1m25.320 - 7m15.239 (+4 seconds)

I didn't expect the car to be so slow. It is all the corners and at first yo uneed to find the sweet spot in the corners. The Engine doesn't really help you out with lashings of power - Previously I had several races were I was along side a FTO LM and in the Supra and GT-R I would at least be able to stay along side the Mitsubishi, the Honda just fell away. This was even more apparent when the AI would hassle me down the straights int a brake zone. In the corners things are not as planted - Overtseer is always there so you have to balance the car constantly - For some this may be too much like hard work, And if you are off the pace this can get annoying, But when you do hook it up it is a great feeling. But 2 seconds a lap off the pace of the Supra/GT-R, things are not looking good.And if you do get punted off - you may also get a spin due to the ease the car rotates on the track just to compound your misery.

=================

Castrol Mugen NSX '00
Won the 2000 season - Metallic Green livery. Gold Wheels. On viewing a replay the car is pretty good, The stick on Red rear window is a minor dislike.

560pp
481bhp - 41 Torques - 1150kg - MR - RH - 45:55 (200/450) - Castrol Mugen NSX '00

Laguna Seca
1m25.543 - 7m09.880

Car was fine out of traffic but not rocket ship fast - It feels frantic in the corners, and is a heap of fun to step over the edge, and correct things but the lap times don't lie. One issue will be the car isn't as fast as the others, so you will have to push harder, but the car is on the edge, so you are much more prone to an unforced error mistake of missing an apex or
getting crossed up under brakes.

=================

ARTA NSX '00
Aguri Suzuki, Keiichi Tsuchiya (The guy that does all the Japanese comparison videos, green race suit, funny and fast.)

Dayglo Orange and White bonnet - the car is distingtive. Maybe too simplistic - but that never bothered the John Player Special livery

560pp
481bhp - 41 Torques - 1150kg - MR - RH - 45:55 (200/450) - ARTA NSX '00

Laguna Seca
1m24.395 - 7m06.845

The potential is there to go faster but the dark spectre of a slide that saps your momentum is thereat every corner. The NSX is definatly a JGTC at Hard difficulty.

=======================================

Mobil 1 NSX '01
Satoru Nakajima team's car - Very simple livery - White with Mobil 1 logo. White cars tend to clutter the grid - so it hardly stands out, but it is an admirably basic layout.

561pp
484bhp - 42 Torques - 1150kg - MR - RH - 45:55 (200/450) - Mobil 1 NSX '00

Laguna Seca
1m24.561 - 7m07.488

Engine has more revs to it for 2001, and the car felt alot more stable than the 2000 model - I may have just be dialling into the sweet spot of the car. I not only enjoyed the car, but felt pushing wasn't risking a slide. The tyres do get worked hard so you still need to be silky smooth to get anything fast out of the NSX.

================================

LOCTITE MUGEN NSX '01
Winner from the previous season - Nice livery, Reminds me very much of Imperial German Navy Jack of the first world war era - Or maybe the Egyptian, Iraqi or Yemeni Flag ... and white wheels on the front, gold on the rears... not too sure why they did that. It also has a soft border between the colours, Subtle but strong.

562pp
484bhp - 42 Torques - 1150kg - MR - RH - 45:55 (200/450) - LOCTITE MUGEN NSX '00

Laguna Seca
1m23.992 - 7m03.962

Car felt like a dream - still has the NSX trait of having oversteer in corners, which I love but it does cost you time if you indulge your inner hooligan.

================

I think all the NSX's benefit from a single livery and then sponsor logos applied to them.

Now the hard bit - which is the best of the NSX's?
The 2001 version seems to have a better engine - more peak revs meant I was changing up to a higher point on the power curve of the next gear, But they are all very close. All of them are skittish cars that need a driver to reach into their big bag of talent to extract the most from the car - if you man handle it, chances are you will be either killing your tyres or else sat in a gravel trap - BUT you have to push hard to get the most out of the car - A precise instrument. But which is best?

I have to say the Mobil 1 NSX felt really good after the 2000 versions, but the Livery really doesn't inspire me - 5th.
The Raybrig NSX has a nice style of Livery but the colours don't gel with me, 4th place.
The Mugens are next up (Which tells you which I chose as the winner!) The Castrol car may be the championship winner and have a good Livery, but the Loctite one had an edge in performance.
ARTA NSX - 1st - It has too much going for it for me. Aguri Suzuki and Keiichi Tsuchiya as drivers - a very strong and memorable livery.

ARTA NSX '00 - 1st
Loctite Mugen NSX '01 - 2nd
Castrol Mugen NSX '00 - 3rd
RAYBRIG NSX '00 - 4th
Mobil1 NSX '01 - 5th

So the final three

Impul Calsonic Skyline '00 - vs - SARD Supra GT '00 - vs - ARTA NSX '00

The track...
(Probably Fujiyama as these very cars did a 1-2-3 finish here in 2000. But I'll have to run on the Modern layout.)

Working off my own experience with these sorts of cars, I'd say NSX. Course the only reason for that is because I found the Takata Dome NSX very useful. Problem is, that's outside of the 1999 - 2001 rule.

I don't think I've got the time to really review these cars, so I'll abstain for this one.

So the final three

Impul Calsonic Skyline '00 vs SARD Supra GT '00 vs ARTA NSX '00

The track...

Well I chose to drive the Impul Calsonic first, Why not the whole GT500 championship. If you have the full login bonus you can rack up about a million crredits enough to buy one of these turn of the Millenia JGTC cars and still have enough change to buy each of the base level cars - a 1999 NSX (92,070) a 2000 GTR R34 (50,480 and a 1997 Supra RZ (43,900)
I thought about doing it with B Spec - BUT... that was great for looking at the car driving in formation, but Hardly useful for a Test with a driver who claims to be more human than human.

Impul CALSONIC GT-R '00

1m20.700 - 6m58.6 (DFR - BSpec)
1m13.231 - 6m17.102 (DFR - Ryk)
1m38.764 - 8m25.445 (Fujiyama - Ryk)
2m00.392 - 10m17.604 (Suzuka - Ryk)
1m52.845 - 9m35.286 - (Motegi - Ryk)
1m27.327 - 9m03.116 - (Nurb-DTM - Ryk)

Impressions - I much prefer it over a Nomal R34- the FR drivetrain improves the "drive" to me, it still has what feels like alot of understeer. I commit to a corner and then feel the car push wider and wider through a corner - BUT that "like a dart" pig headedness about the car gives you alot of confidence if you are rubbing door handles with another car. A surprise tag will upset you, but generally you can save the car as the front tyres are the ones that loose grip first so you loose control in a straight line. I had a horror show of a race in Germany, first lap I got pushed out on the ouside wide into the Veedol chicane, and ended up dragging those big styrofom bricks onto the track.

Livery - Had longer to look at it, The more modern Calsonic GT-R uses a darker shade but it is a strong Livery - A Modern Day Bugatti Type 35? Maybe that is the deal with Car Liveries what do they evoke to the crowd? Eat Mrs Miggens's Pies or Smoke Fags and Drink Booze. For the Japanese then this livery must scream Skyline domination in their domestic touring car championships.

===============

SARD Supra GT

Livery is getting better each time I look at it, and of the three cars, it has more to it than just a plain single colour or the very simple ARTA Orange and White. The livery here is simpl but strong two colour, the integration of the headlamps into the broad slash of scarlet along the wings of the car.

The car itself is great to drive. If I bemoan the shadow of understeer with the GT-R here I have to praise the subtle nuetral handling with a helpful echo of oversteer when you give the car the beans, you can countersteer and make any corner or save most slides. On the way it drives I have to rank it far above the GT-R. I was dreading looking at the lap times though as I tend to really enjoy slow cars, but it is pretty even to the GT-R.

1m13.796 - 6m21.006 (DFR - Ryk)
1m38.607 - 8m21.427 (Fujiyama - Ryk)
2m01.646 - 10m26.821 (Suzuka - Ryk)
1m50.906 - 9m32.026 (Motegi - Ryk)
1m27.514 - 8m52.579 (Nurby DTM - Ryk)

Had a wild run at Suzuka with a few mistakes due to AI drifting over on me (Dunlop curve) and my own pilot error (Locked up into the Hairpin). Motegi also had an error which cost me a few seconds.

==============

ARTA NSX

Livery is bright eye catching memorable - The black typeface of the logos on the Orange do make them blend in with the car - So it is more of an Orange car than a car with a big Logo on it.

1m12.919 - 6m20.900 (DFR - Ryk)
1m39.501 - 8m28.436 (Fujiyama - Ryk)
2m01.067 - 10m18.704 (Suzuka - Ryk)
1m52.625 - 9m33.808 (Motegi - Ryk)
1m27.727 - 8m56.991(Nurby DTM - Ryk)

Car is much more fun in corners, You can place the car and take any line you like so long as youcan balance the car. In the twisty stuff the NSX just destroys the other cars - but... and it is a big but on the straights the car has no top speed, if you are not in a slipstream then you will give up a second or two every lap - I was 20 mph down on the main straight at Fujiyama when I was on my own. Get a draft and it is happy days! This makes corner exits onto a fast straight extra important,

So which is best? What do you judge it on. All three look good, but I'd have to give the edge to the SARD Supra, The ARTA NSX and Impul GT-R are a bit too simplistic in their livery. Pace All three have advantages and disadvantages. The NSX is hamstrung by a poor top speed but it is a demon in the corners The GT-R is fast but has too much understeer for it to be enjoyable to drive. 3rd place

How do I split the ARTA NSX and the SARD Supra? - on a clean empty track the Supra would be faster. In a race, with traffic the NSX can piggy back a slipstream and perform some overtakes the GT-R could only dream about.

Much as I love driving the NSX - the SARD Supra is good enough to catch up to the leader, and good enough to pull away. The NSX is hamstrung by the limited top speed.

Deep Forest Raceway.jpg

+1

NSX for cornering
GTR for braking stability
Supra for speed

Everyone of them has its plus side and its favourite track.

I personally lean a bit towards the Supra with Arta NSX just a bit behind. GTR is clearly 3rd but not too far behind. Great racing cars all of them.

Last edited:
Well it's that time of the week again, so here we go. I decided to go with what @Ryk used so give him some credit for going through the trouble to find the best from each make.

I'll start with the Supra. This car was featured in the Forgotten Cars Thread and really could have some potential even against the newer Super GT cars. Did the Nurb 24min race and didn't need to pit at all! There isn't really any special skill needed to drive this one, just don't push it too far just like the rest of the cars in the game.

Next up is the R34. Good old familiar Calsonic livery, and also a stable car like the Supra. I don't have much to say about this one since it practically drives the same as the Supra in my opinion. Only the manufacturer choice would decide my pick between these two.

And last but not least we have the NSX. Bright Arta livery makes it seen from quite a distance, so how does it drive? Unlike the R34 or the Supra, the NSX is mid-engined which means more oversteer. With the NSX you have to excecute every corner with the perfect line or you will make a mistake. So how does it do on the track against its rivals?

Tested on Laguna Seca, TCS and SRF off, RH tires

Supra: 1:23.658
R34: 1:23.762
NSX: 1:23.507

It came down to the Supra and the NSX to choose from for me (RIP R34), and it was a very difficult decision. So in the end:

I choose the NSX.

And judging by your guys' votes, the winner is.....

index.php

The '00 Arta NSX!!!

Interesting duel this week, though I'm not too sure if class duels are good to do but it doesn't hurt to experiment once in a while :sly:. Anyeays, check back here tomorrow for the next duel of the week.

hsv
Just out of interest, why was the Diablo not included?
The Diablo seems too fast compared to the others in my opinion. Although now I guess I could have included it in the battle :indiff:. But hey, there is always the chance of seeing it in another duel :D

Just ran a Stock test at DFR- and the Diablo is much faster than the others,

1m12.6 and a race pace of 6m11.8 -

Livery - a few nice touches with the Italian "Verdebiancorosso", but overall it is a white Lambo with a shotgun blast stickers on it And some Blue Hiroto logos. Not as classy as say the Mobil 1 NSX of the Nakajima Racing Team.

Drive - Mid engined, so top bracket fun to actually drive. maybe not as poised as the NSX but as you have a big fat engine that does the job you don't need to drive that hard as the NSX requires you to. The engine wins the races here, Able to leapfrog the AI with out any of that pesky "being fast in the corners" stuff.

The trouble with this sort of car is, if you win with it, everyone will say that it was the car winning; if you lose, they will then say you are the slowpoke.

Time for the next duel of the week! Definitely not going to do a multi-car battle fora while but this next duel should be just as good. This week's duel of the week is.....

0305tur_01z+Dodge_Neon_SRT4+Front_Driver_Side.jpg

The 2003 Dodge SRT4

vs

vw-scirocco-r-10.jpg

The 2010 Volkswagon Scirroco R!!!
(Thanks to @=drifting24/7= for the suggestion)

USA vs Germany, Standard vs Premium, should be a fun one this week. Try these two out and let me know which one you think is better!

My heart always yearns for VW, but, the Scirocco is a big disgrace to the name, the original wasn't this fat car, I just don't believe it fits, But that doesnt mean its not a fun car, Scirocco, you win this time, but I wont back you up next time if it's against a better opponent.

Post-purchase specs, before oil change:

SRT4

2.4L
228 hp / 5,400 rpm
251 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,350 kg (2,976 lbs)
428 pp

Scirocco
2.0L
252 hp / 6,000 rpm
244 ft-lb / 2,500 rpm
1,410 kg (3,109 lbs)
435 pp

Both are front-wheel-drive with turbocharged engines. The VW makes 24 more horses, but the Neon, oops I mean SRT4, makes 7 more ft-lbs of torque. Weight difference is 133 lbs in the SRT's favor.

Which one is faster at Mid-Field, on Comfort Soft tires?

The VW, by about 1.5 seconds give or take a few tenths. I would choose the VW for the refinement, modernity, and max torque at a low 2,500 rpm!

The Neon is much cheaper but quite a bit slower - I bought a Neon for the recent seasonal...3 goes half a million in the bank. I didn't enjoy the car much due to the Front wheel drive aspect - it has double the number of paint chips over the more expensive German car and it also has twice as many doors...

The Scirocco R is considerably faster - didn't have a basic flavour of understeer either, the car would rotate but then some sort of pendulum effect would rock the car back in a corner... probably the front tyres giving up and the car reverting to understeer due to the weight near the front half of the car. The engine note of the VW is not at all nice.

After all the delicious fun I had with the JGTC cars this feels like testing supermarket trolleys.

... This feels like a game of "Wheel of the Worst"

Heritage - The Scirocco had an iconic ancestor - which this doesn't live up to. The "Essarrteefore" by Dodge- took respectable American car and made it a bit "racey" - The SRT4 is the best Neon - the Scirocco R isn't the best Scirocco - Winner Dodge

Looks - Neither are great the Dodge has a solid front back end is a bit Hyundai for me. The squished up Golf ... Scirocco meh! Hardly stunning. - I think even with the Korean Back end the Dodge gets it on looks.

Fun to drive - Have to give points to the squishy Golf it was more entertaining to hurl about. Win for VW

Cost - Dodge was cheap as chips (Fries...) Win for Dodge

Paint chip-age - Dodge again has much more variety - And a refreshingly Honest name for Black. Win for Dodge

Lap-a-bility - The VW has the win here. Just faster all day long. And not by a small margin.

Overall winner? I think the VW has more sins than wins, If the Dodge wasn't so slow it would be very easy to take the Scirocco to the crusher... In all honesty I can't judge either of them as winners... But there is something I can do...

And the loser is - the VW Scirocco R

While I find it ugly, the Scirocco R is the better car of the two. I feel it's just little more powerful than the SRT4 and it's also one of the best handling FF cars in the game in my opinion.

Mountain Trial (Matterhorn Rotenboden):
SRT4 - 1:57.861
Scirocco R - 1:56.038

City Trial (SSR5):
SRT4 - 1:43.865
Scirocco R - 1:42.830

I'd put my vote here, but I think I've said about as much as I could say. The Scirocco is the clear winner.

Back