GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT6 Duel of the Week #117: Ferrari California '08 vs Opera Performance S2000 '04

Ha! Psych! The thread's not dead.​

This week, we're gonna take a look at two high performance roadsters that not too many people look at anymore. Not to mention both are pretty different all things considered. A track monster against the luxury supercar. It's a classic battle of the rich guy vs the weekend warrior. Let's see who comes out on top. Yes @MidFieldMaven, I had a peek at your Midfield raceway lap times.

Let's give a hootin' holler for the...

ferrari_california__gran_turismo_6__by_vertualissimo-d82x76d.jpg

...Ferrari California '08!

and blow your airhorns for the...

76c03d59c0.jpg

...Opera Performance S2000 '04!

Wow, looks like the time trial this week will be held at... Midfield Raceway. Let's see if we can't replicate some of the magic that the 'Maven himself set months and months ago. It's an interesting time trial this week, and both cars will be on comfort softs to get every inch of that replication down. If that's not your style, another time trial will be available for everyone with all tires under racing available as well.​

Not sure where the Comfort Softs thing came from, I'm not gonna be running those, but nevertheless I have three events up. One for the cars on Comfort Softs (won't be participating), one for the cars on Sports Hards (their stock tires), and one for drifting around Grand Valley East.

Let's see some action!

This was a pretty unusual combination, two cars that are quite different and share not much more than being "performance roadsters". By now we all know the Opera is a real sleeper, dominating many online events and being a pleasure to drive. So not much else to report there. The Ferrari is much more an unknown quantity. I do not remember seeing it anytime I've been online. I think there's a reason. Although its got a crap-load of power, it's heavy, and you can feel it. The brakes are lousy, but who knows, it could be that it weighs a ton and a half. I found myself braking way sooner than intuition told me in order to not visit the sandbox. It understeers a lot too, then spins the tires as it his the power band, usually as I was going through the kink after the tunnel heading to the main straight. Enough of my complaints, it looks and sounds lovely. The poor old Opera suffers from a dearth of polygons.

The Ferrari got me a whopping better lap time around Midfield, but was a real handful. It also got me a better drift score, and I beat my personal challenge of getting over 10,000 points (that's like getting 20,000 to you guys, especially "some loser" :lol:)
I have yet to run the TT on CS. I think I'd prefer to let my kitty scratch my eyes out.

I think surprisingly I'm going to vote for the Ferrari. It's a lot more versatile, and I've tuned out most of its drawbacks. It was more fun, as well as easier, to drift. We like easy.

Time Trial
Ferrari 599 '06 1:16.349
Opera Performance S2000 1:17.609

Dorifto
Ferrari 599 '06 10.726
Opera Performance S2000 9,598

Verdict: Ferrari 599!

upload_2017-10-23_9-36-35.png

upload_2017-10-23_9-38-46.png

This was a pretty unusual combination, two cars that are quite different and share not much more than being "performance roadsters". By now we all know the Opera is a real sleeper, dominating many online events and being a pleasure to drive. So not much else to report there. The Ferrari is much more an unknown quantity. I do not remember seeing it anytime I've been online. I think there's a reason. Although its got a crap-load of power, it's heavy, and you can feel it. The brakes are lousy, but who knows, it could be that it weighs a ton and a half. I found myself braking way sooner than intuition told me in order to not visit the sandbox. It understeers a lot too, then spins the tires as it his the power band, usually as I was going through the kink after the tunnel heading to the main straight. Enough of my complaints, it looks and sounds lovely. The poor old Opera suffers from a dearth of polygons.

The Ferrari got me a whopping better lap time around Midfield, but was a real handful, so I vote for the Opera. The Ferrari also got me a better drift score, and I beat my personal challenge of getting over 10,000 points (that's like getting 20,000 to "you guys", especially "some loser :lol:)
I have yet to run the TT on CS. I think I'd prefer to let my kitty scratch my eyes out.

I think surprisingly I'm going to vote for the Ferrari. It's a lot more versatile, and I've tuned out most of its drawbacks. It was more fun, as well as easier, to drift. We like easy.

Time Trial
Ferrari 599 '06 1:16.349
Opera Performance S2000 1:17.609

Dorifto
Ferrari 599 '06 10.726
Opera Performance S2000 9,598

Verdict: Ferrari 599!

View attachment 683017
View attachment 683019

Bruh, you did a mistake.

It's the California this week, not the 599.

Geez, no wonder it's called the forgotten Ferrari.

I may as well be called "captain slow", but here goes! After driving the Opera first, then the California, you can truly these cars serve different purposes. The Opera is easy to drive fast, light, with neutral handling. It makes you want to keep pushing it, and yourself to the limits. Overall a blast of a track car. As for the California, its got power, but along with that power is more weight and a suspension that is more for spirited road driving. The handling is not bad, but I had more fun driving this car more at 8 or 9 10'ths of it's ability.

Laptimes (stock, no oil change, SH tires)
Opera: 1:20.343
California: 1:20.229

I'm sure I could go back out in the Opera and get a faster time (which I may just do!).

Verdict: Opera S2000 wins!

So unlike most weeks, I think this week's matchup was fairly one-sided. In one corner we have a tuned S2000 and in the other, a powerful FR Ferrari. I'm not sure what compelled Waflz to have this lopsided of a matchup, other than the fact I guess he wanted a Ferrari to win, seeing as how it's his favorite brand ever. Seriously though, did you have to go with a 599? It's got well over twice the amount of power the S2000 cranks out!

Wait what?

California?

You can't drive a US state, silly.

Wait, the Ferrari California?

Ohhhh...

That make sense. Okay, so uhh... guess the Ferrari California is squaring up against the S2000.

Midfield Raceway Trial:
California - 1:18.633
S2000 - 1:18.357

The California got upset on some parts, which is to be expected of a 400hp Italian status symbol, but other than that it actually proved more stable than I thought it was going to be. The S2000 is admittedly a lot more boring, but a lot more precise as well, probably owing to having pretty much the same amount of power as the showroom S2000 and a big ol' wing at the back generating some downforce. Combine its weight advantage with this and we get about 3 tenths of a second faster than your rich snooty CEO's car.

But at the end of the day, the win has to go to the 599, I mean, 1:17.519, it's clearly the faster one. If the winner has to be a Ferrari, it's the 599.

11PM GMT is when all three of the trials end tomorrow, so get your runs in while you can! Less than 24 hours remain!

@ThrasherDBS, @Cowboy, @Baron Blitz Red

Anyone on GT Sport have some Saturdays to spare? I'd like to get a second entry into a 2-hour endurance race series, so I came here looking for a friend. I think it'd be a good experience because it's my first time doing it too. Anyone interested please tell me! There's seven rounds of racing stretching to March and only a few entries left.

I think it would be fun to have *Duel of the Week racing" as a team.

Last edited:
I did the events over in the correct Ferrari. I think the California is a lot better than the 599. Only 2/10ths slower lap at Midfield, and a slightly better drift score. It handles sooo much better than the 599 actually has real live brakes.

California Midfield 1:16.682
California Dorifuto 10,982

I still vote for the Ferrari.

upload_2017-10-25_17-46-16.png

upload_2017-10-25_17-46-39.png

Last edited:
The S2000 just doesn't agree with me. No matter how many times I try talking nicely to it, it doesn't want to let me set a good time. :(
I spent a solid half hour in it and every lap, there was a slide, or a bump, or something to ruin the lap. There's potential there, I know it, I just can't unleash it. (Or couldn't, yesterday. It's unlikely I'll get another shot.) It's only more frustrating cos Mid-Field is a track I'm pretty damn good at, so it's definately not track knowledge that's the problem!

The California however is weird to drive. Being a Ferrari, I keep driving it like it's a MR, but it's not. It's FR. And for some reason my driving instincts have trouble absorbing that fact. However, at least I was able to give it a serious nudge around Mid-Field without something blatantly obviously ruining the lap. That in itself earns it this week's pick from me, and a new spot in my garage, as a RWD Ferrari's quite the odd experience, and it was fun! :sly:

...and this week's events are now closed! Thank you for the few that participated, let's see how everything shook out and what crowns Vic gets to walk away with this week.

Week 117 Results

Mid-Field Raceway Comfort Soft Trial:

Ferrari California '08:
imageso.jpg

Opera Performance S2000 '04
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:19.011

Mid-Field Raceway Sport Hard Trial:

Ferrari California '08:
1st. @Draggon - 1:16.682 (Offline)
2nd. Some joker - 1:18.653
3rd. @mica3speedy - 1:20.229

Opera Performance S2000 '04:
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:16.775
2nd. @Draggon -1:17.609 (Offline)
3rd. Some joker - 1:18.357
4th. @mica3speedy - 1:20.343 (Offline)

Ferrari 599 '06 (Because I'm a cheeky smart-aleck)
1st. @Draggon - 1:16.349 (Offline)
2nd. Some joker - 1:17.519

Here's how the drift trial at Grand Valley East went down:

Ferrari California '08:
1st. Some joker - 12,905
2nd. @Draggon -10,982 (Offline)

Opera Performance S2000 '04:
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 16,695
2nd. Some joker- 10,132
3rd. @Draggon - 9,598 (Offline)

Ferrari 599 '06 (Again, being a smart-aleck)
1st. Some joker - 13,621
2nd. @Draggon - 10,726 (Offline)

So we had a grand total of one person tackle the whole "do the trial thing on Comfort Softs" and even then he only did so on one car. Well it can't be a landslide victory if there isn't anyone to compete against. Well, a congratulations to Vic as always, Draggon for putting some people in their place, and a very special welcome to @mica3speedy for joining us and putting some times up on the board! Always awesome to get new blood around these parts.

I say, if a Ferrari has to win, I'd say the 599 wins. If it can't be that, then the S2000 should win. At least that's what I think.

Better turnout this week than we've seen at times. And yes, welcome to @mica3speedy! As for @Nismonath5, well Nate, you gave us your impressions, but where are your lap times? And is "some joker" poking fun at my lack of brain cells picking the wrong car? I mean, honestly, I read the intro, then looked at the pic @MrWaflz55 posted and said "oh goody, a 599!" Oy Vai :dunce::dunce::dunce:

Well, since there's not a duel present and it feels a little presumptuous to just do another duel, I'll just put another open-swim drift up for this week. Whatever drift machines you've got, let's see how they fare on the downhill of Trial Mountain. Open until Wednesday.

Ferrari California '08
453 hp / 7,500 rpm
355 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
1,630 kg (3,594 lbs)
522 pp

Opera Performance S2000 '04
270 hp / 8,000 rpm
177 ft-lb / 8,000 rpm
930 kg (2,050 lbs)
477 pp

+183 hp and +178 ft-lbs of torque for the California but a HUGE weight disadvantage of exactly 700 kg (1,544 lbs.) That is a lot of extra metal to throw around a racetrack...

Power to weight ratio stands at 7.93 for the Ferrari and 7.59 for the S2000. A difference of 0.34 lbs/hp with the advantage going to Opera.

152 mph - Ferrari
139 mph - Opera

Watching the Ferrari lap, I feel that it could be a bit quicker with more practice, but the S2000 is more satisfying to drive. Less weight makes everything better, even if it is underpowered.

S2000 wins.

Thanks for giving us more time at the pool @ThrasherDBS. I enjoy getting a whole lap to hone my poor drifting skillz. Trial Mountain is a fun track. Results of open swim #1, road cars. I looked at the club dorifuto page and its empty, zip, nada, no one has entered. Is GT Sport that much fun?

Ford RS200 '84 18,614.

upload_2017-10-30_0-39-18.png

Next Objective: Race Cars

I've got a Camaro that's pretty good, and a Merc SLS GT3 hiding somewhere.

Since there was a bit of a mixup last week on the Ferrari side of things, and it's pretty late to make another duel, Wednesday will be the next week.

Thanks for giving us more time at the pool @ThrasherDBS. I enjoy getting a whole lap to hone my poor drifting skillz. Trial Mountain is a fun track. Results of open swim #1, road cars. I looked at the club dorifuto page and its empty, zip, nada, no one has entered. Is GT Sport that much fun?

More like, I haven't had the time to give them a run. I have school and work to do, and also, the drift events don't have as much pull as the actual trials here.

Since there was a bit of a mixup last week on the Ferrari side of things, and it's pretty late to make another duel, Wednesday will be the next week.

So the 599 won, right? :D

Okay, kinda uncomfortable doing a double-post on this, but I'm just here to report that the Open-Swim Drift event has closed, with a grand total of two entries, automatically making @Draggon the winner for actually participating.

Here's how Trial Mountain went:
1st. Some guy - Mazda SAVANNA RX-7 INFINI III (FC) '90 - 19,374
2nd. @Draggon - Ford RS200 '84 - 18,614 (Offline)
3rd. @Draggon - RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87 - 13,946 (Offline)

You got really close! I'm impressed!

Lots of work and cycling means no Gran Turismo for me.

Maybe double the duration of each event to gather more entries? You could still add a new one each week if you have ideas. Just let them overlap for a week. Then we can binge on them when we have time.

@Baron Blitz Red

Duel of the Week #118: Toyota Supra GT500 vs Nissan R34 GT500

This week sees a return to Japan, with the JGTC cars being our primary focus of the week. We have a Nissan and Toyota this week, so let's strap in and see how these low weight / high downforce cars have to offer us. Will they be faster or more fun than their newer counterparts? Let's find out...

This week we have the...

gt500_calsonicr34_03.jpg

Nissan Calsonic R34 Skyline GT-R GT500!

against the...

1997_TOMs_Supra2.jpg

...Castrol TOM's Toyota Supra GT500!

(if you don't have the specific livery, feel free to use any JGTC Supra or Skyline in their place.)

The Time Trial this week will be held at Twin Rings Motegi Road Course. It's the natural home of any Super GT racing machine. Let's see how these older cars fare against their newer counterparts, the SC430 and R-35 GTR. See you in the time trial!

New drift trial is up, this time until the 15th of November at 1600 Pacific Time. You're throwing both of these cars sideways at Deep Forest Reverse. If our fearless leader needs me to, I can put up the time trial as well.

Lots of work and cycling means no Gran Turismo for me.

Maybe double the duration of each event to gather more entries? You could still add a new one each week if you have ideas. Just let them overlap for a week. Then we can binge on them when we have time.

@Baron Blitz Red

With the accidental death of my last DS3, I have retired from GT6 altogether... but thanks for thinking of me.

Cheers

Are you buying a new one? Browse the thrift stores or something.

Nope, I'm done... the last one that I found was from a pawn shop, and it lasted all of a couple of weeks. New ones are next to impossible to find, and the used options are well, used to say the least. Done like dinner, it was fun, I miss it, but done like dinner all the same.

Cheers

Nope, I'm done... the last one that I found was from a pawn shop, and it lasted all of a couple of weeks. New ones are next to impossible to find, and the used options are well, used to say the least. Done like dinner, it was fun, I miss it, but done like dinner all the same.

Cheers

Well then, I bid you farewell from the thread. But I'm also quite sure you know we have work to do ;). See you around!

Back