GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I must say I didn't expect to win all of them. @ThrasherDBS and I usually swap for the lead, and @Rotorist is normally a lot faster than I am. It's great having gotten all 5 wins, but I'd owe it more to lack of participation than my skill. I guess I'm making up for a dry spell earlier this year where I couldn't win anything.

And a great bit shout out to @MrWaflz55! Thanks for keeping the duel alive, and injecting your humor into it. It's things like this that keep me hooked on GT6.

So come on guys, I mean seriously, lets get this thing moving along!

... Let's see how this flies!

Mercedes Benz AMG VGT vs. Alpine Vision Gran Turismo?
kaz benz.jpg Alpine-Vision-Gran-Turismo.jpg
You can run them both at the latest 600pp Seasonal at Nurburgring for a few test laps - get some easy cash.
The AI are pretty Lewis & Hamilton in terms of running you off track, so unleash your inner Baby Champ Rosberg Junior and avoid their gamesmanship.)

Time Trial event... Matterhorn Dristelen ... (If that is that possible.)

This was the event where you trialled the First VGT car when GT6 came out three years ago.
Both cars are the Road variant -

I was planning for a "FT-1 VGT vs. Mazda Furai"... but thought it may be a bit expensive...

Ryk
... Let's see how this flies!

Mercedes Benz AMG VGT vs. Alpine Vision Gran Turismo?
View attachment 610719 View attachment 610718
You can run them both at the latest 600pp Seasonal at Nurburgring for a few test laps - get some easy cash.
The AI are pretty Lewis & Hamilton in terms of running you off track, so unleash your inner Baby Champ Rosberg Junior and avoid their gamesmanship.)

Time Trial event... Matterhorn Dristelen ... (If that is that possible.)

This was the event where you trialled the First VGT car when GT6 came out three years ago.
Both cars are the Road variant -

I was planning for a "FT-1 VGT vs. Mazda Furai"... but thought it may be a bit expensive...
Nice choice there me thinks and congrats on the best laptimes on the Olympics Ryk!

Been busy with work and school for the past 10 weeks. Don't worry, I've got some free time tonight. I have to stay awake all night to prepare for my night shift that starts Saturday night. I've got plenty of time to get my review done. Expect it added to this post later tonight, or after whoever is after me.

It's amazing we haven't had a strictly VGT duel, despite it being one of GT6's big promotional gimmicks. DOTW 1.0's grand finale may have involved the latest one, but finally we have a duel between two of them. Fitting that it involves the very first VGT car as well. Cars that are meant to display the spirit of GT following in the footsteps of the GT by Citroen car nearly a decade back. Racing cars that look like they belong in a sci-fi film, and are meant to be perfect best-of-the-best for each of the manufacturers. It's a dream race to end all dream races. At least, for two cars.

I brought both of these cars to the Matterhorn as I usually do, but on my way to the Dristelen course, I was told to turn back and put Comfort Softs on both of my cars. Irritated, I obliged, hopping into my big manly truck... a Daihatsu Midget, and went back down the mountain to buy a new set of tires for each car. I was let in finally after I changed the tires, and there I was at the very spot I got my original Mercedes VGT that carried me through most of GT6's career. I had quite the history with this car, but the Alpine VGT was a lot more racecar-like. I was puzzled as to which would come out on top.

Dristelen Trial (Comfort Softs):
Mercedes - 1:10.031
Alpine - 1:08.667

After that, I went back down to get Sports Softs for the Mercedes in order to match the stock tires on the Alpine. By that time, it had gotten pretty late on the mountain. Same time I usually do my runs at the Matterhorn as a matter of fact actually. Then I did my trial at SSR5 as well.

Rotenboden Trial:
Mercedes - 1:36.934
Alpine - 1:34.499

SSR5 Trial:
Mercedes - 1:23.319
Alpine - 1:21.050

So it's not often that I have a massive wreck, but unfortunately on the third lap of the Rotenboden trial with the Mercedes... this... happened.

JZzlgKm.jpg

TpsKWog.jpg

bYHtOKy.jpg

7j7AWiL.jpg

HXGErNl.jpg

aVVR8Gh.jpg

tR9pepC.jpg

So yeah, this duel produced the most violent wipeout I've had, and that wasn't an intentional thing. The Mercedes is a fairly heavy car, and makes a great sports car, but the extra weight makes it understeery under heavy braking and slightly oversteery in corners. Get it sideways and airborne, even a little bit and that's what happens. Thankfully, since this is a virtual world where I can't die and my car doesn't total, I obviously survived, but boy was that a wild ride.

This car carried me through most of career mode, but the Alpine, while very tail happy at low speeds and less-than-delicate on the gas pedal, it was very light and very low to the ground. I owe each of the victories that this car earned due to that low center of gravity and the aerodynamics of the car.

The futuristic French sci-fi car wins.

Well well.... What an interesting duel this has been!

Part One: The O.G. VGT
Leading the way for the VGT series, the Mercedes VGT gave us a clue as to what to expect with the program. A futuristic exterior, no shortage of power, and some new and innovative ideas about what cars will be like in ten, maybe twenty years time.

On Matterhorn, with comfort tyres and no TCs, the Mercedes started off feeling like a cruise ship, but as I tried different things, I eventually got into a pretty neat groove and was able to set a good lap time. It struggles a little in the braking department, but otherwise feels really good. It smoked the tyres around tight corners, and careful throttle control was required.

Part Two: Open Air Thrills!
The Alpine VGT was one of my most highly anticipated VGT cars of the program, particularly the race version. It sought to target the featherweight flyers of the game, like the KTM X-Bow, Caterham 7 and LCC Rocket. And it does...

...but it doesn't feel right in this duel. The mountainous nature of Matterhorn, combined with the CS tyres and no TCS really doesn't compliment the Alpine. It feels way too stiff, rigid and light to keep stable, and as a result I was wayyyyyyy off the pace compared to the times of others. :crazy:
Admittedly, it out-braked the Merc. But that was the only advantage I could find.

THINGS TO CONSIDER
Mercedes
-Way more colour options
-Sounds better (IMO)
-Feels more stable

Alpine
-Detailed interior
-Epic air brakes
-Lightweight

My vote goes to the Merc for this one! 👍

Lol, after Tuesday evening with that Zzzzzzz-ACT, I've spent most of the week asleep. I'm waiting for someone to put up some times, hopefully. I see as of this moment, my Merc time is the only one there. Where are our regulars?

I hope I haven't scared anyone off :indiff:

If you were worried about scaring anyone off, don't worry about it.

Because that's MY job. :sly::D

Got some time in the Alpine VGT and went to show why it's my job at Matterhorn. ;)

As for the Merc, Stock for stock it's slower than the Alpine, but is more stable AND can be heavily upgraded unlike most other VGTs which can't be upgraded or very lightly upgraded.

If out and out speed is your goal, take the Benz.

If you want a fast and light just under 600pp racer straight out the box, take the Alpine.

For this comparison, my vote goes to the Alpine. 👍

A good combo again (from Draggon this time around) that made me to enter even if late to the party. Those cars where absolutely different in their purpose and so were the result of them being driven fast. Merc is a GT and Alpine has the role of being a modern successor to the A110, which was a winning car (title winning in 1973's world rally championship) both on rally and track competition back in the late 60s-early 70s.

Due to my internet connection not being stable, I was forced to run the duel offline. I tried to make it as close as possible to the online and here are my findings.

Matterhorn Laptimes (offline free run, CS tires, real grip, TC off, ABS 1)

Merc - 1:09.778 - 7 points

Alpine - 1:07.732 - 10 points

Much faster the Alpine mainly due to its lightweight chassis and the higher aero which helped even in braking better with the side claps behind the rear wheels.

Matterhorn topspeed

Merc - 253 km/h - 7 points

Alpine - 277 km/h - 10 points

Matterhorn max lateral G-force

Merc ~ 1.35g - 7 points

Alpine ~ 1.50g - 10 points

Just a matter of lightweight and having more aero on it, Alpine was much faster through fast corners.

General handling aspect

Merc - 9 points

Alpine - 7 points

Alpine's aero and lightweight didn't help as much in low speed corners. Merc is much more stable in those and having a longer wheelbase gives a great balance and predictability in the apex and exiting the corner as its much higher torque from the lower end curve allows it to accelerate without spinning from any corner exit. Alpine's high revving engine isn't helpful to easily control spinning out of the slower corners, where the aero isn't effective. It's short wheelbase makes it sudden in its reactions also and some countersteering is needed when on or over the limit.

Design

Merc - 8 points

Alpine - 8 points

Both are good looking for different reasons. Merc's shape is classical and resembles some cars made by British design schools (Aston Martin anyone?) with the rear of a modern Porshe 911. Alpine is a modernized A110 on the other side and a succesful one I may add. So, neither one is an original shape but they look more than ok to my eyes.

Conclusion

With 38 points Mercedes VGT (the origin of their latest sportcar AMG GT in design) loses from the design successor of the legendary Alpine A110, the Alpine VGT car which gathered 45 points.

And the French car industry wins twice in a row after the Olympics.

Mercedes Benz AMG VGT
merc6.jpg

versus

Alpine VGT
alp1.jpg

*** Round 1 *** Top Speed ***

Mercedes AMG - 213mph
Alpine VGT - 201mph

Speed advantage to the Stuttgart Autobahn Courier

Mercedes 10 --- Alpine 9​

*** Round 2 *** Fuel Economy ***

Not the most exact test, but a run at the Willow Springs 20 miler lets you gauge just how thirsty the car is over a road course. And the French car only needed the swiftest of sips of Le Pehtrul. The Car from Southern Germany was a bit more of a guzzler when I ran the super licence event, Not a huge amount and it had little effect in my race as the tyre change took more time than the splash of fuel, but still a win for the Dieppe Dodgem.

Mercedes 9(19) --- Alpine 10 (19)

*** Round 3 *** Tyre Degradation ***

Not much use going fast if you smear the track with precious rubber leaving you running the end of your stint on the canvas carcass of the tyre. Both cars were good, but the Mercedes was less good at caressing the life of its tyres to the end of a stint. However so long as you apply a modicum of "driver nous" you will easily get a full stint out of the car. But the Alpine had no issue, which is great as the car is far more agile and reliant on the rear end grip to be consistent. The Mercedes may lose this one but I would think of it more that it didn't win as much.

Mercedes 9 (28) --- Alpine 10 (29)

*** Round 4 *** Lashings of V8 powah ***

The Mercedes has an impressive 576 bhp while the Alpine's V8 only has 443bhp.
merc.jpg

Mercedes 10 (38) --- Alpine 7 (36)​

*** Round 5 *** Add lightness ***

1385kg - 47:53 - Mercedes
0900kg - 47:53 - Alpine

The Mercedes is really an evolution of the AMG SLS and the smaller bi-turbo engine and the 'money no object' construction has resulted in 235kg of added meat being spirited away - And on the track you really feel the can is several steps ahead of where the SLS was... but The Alpine has huge empty venturi voids carved out of the body of the car. The lack of a roof usually means a lot of added weight to keep the cars chassis stiff to prevent it flip flopping about like a wet lettuce, but the Alpine has a Racing cockpit, this lack of cabin space means the car has a lot of rigidity in this weak spot.

Mercedes 8 (46) --- Alpine 10 (46)

*** Round 6 *** Wheels and Wings ***

One of the main differences are the settings on the wheels and the natural negative lift both car generate.
The Mercedes has an easy to understand 0/200 Aero Effect and 0.5°/1.5° camber, 0.0°/0.60° toe.
The Alpine has far more Aero and some tricksy numbers on the wheels. 200/450 aero, 1.5°/0.0° camber, -0.50°/1.0° toe.
The front wheel Toe is probably the biggest eyebrow raiser... with the fronts wheels pointing outward it makes the car far more responsive in the turns ... The outside wheel does the "heavy lifting" but as the inside wheel is even more eager to change direction it helps it steer the front of the car through corners. Having over three times the overall downforce than the Mercedes also assists the car in the twisty bits.

alp3.jpg

Mercedes 8 (54) --- Alpine 10 (56)

*** Round 7 *** Trooping the Colours ***

The Alpine only has two colours, a Base Blue with a choice of Crystal White or Ceramic Black as the majority shade. The Mercedes also has a Matt Black Option but it also has two Silvers, a Dark Grey Silver with a Lime Green detail or my personal favourite - Alubeam Silver - the paint that took 12 years to make and is dried by the light of a full moon. Although the Alpine has a more colourful palette, Alubeam Silver is just too classy for it not to win.

Mercedes 10 (64) --- Alpine 7 (63)​

*** Round 8 *** Looks ***

This is a bit harsh, but the Mercedes looks like some 1930's idealised concept car of what they would think the future would look like. The Huge long low wide bonnet, the bubble motif of the wheel arches, the rear end so sleek and elegant. The front bit is a bit rounded and the gimmicky light up front grill but when you watch the car move at speed it looks almost too good.
The Alpine is much more function over form . It has optimal solutions rather than aesthetically pleasing choices. The front "Horseshoe crab" front end is a low point and the long tailed fins after the rear wheels take a while to get used to. In a way it reminds me of the late 50's F1 when you had some awesome looking Front Engined cars facing up against some rather agricultural looking mid engined cars from Charles and John Cooper. However a racing maxim is a car starts to look very pretty once you win a bottle of champagne with it. And after a few replay watches the Alpine does look good, but just not the instant impact of the Mercedes which only gets better especially at speed from the side.

merc2.jpg

Mercedes 10 (74) --- Alpine 7(70)​

*** Round 9 *** Drivability ***

Usually the "so easy to drive" tag is given to a Front Engined car, but in this case I have to give my choice to the Alpine. The Air brakes really shorten brake zones, and kept the car extremely stable in this zone. The Mercedes is hamstrung by heavy brake zones, the greater weight puts a larger strain on the front tyres which will then be fundamental for the corner to follow. The Alpine virtually cheats in these braking areas able to brake harder and later with a far smaller risk of cooking your front tyres.

Now the Mercedes isn't bad but the Alpine feels like it is a extension of the drivers body - you think where you want to go and the car will do its best to comply - but the best bit is the car hasn't got two wheelbarrows worth of downforce making it feel like you are driving on Jupiter. Any lump or bump will send the car skipping along as the 170 nanometre thick layer of rubber breaks traction with the asphalt for a few moments.
The Mercedes is far more prone to a lock up and spearing off track - at first. Maybe I just felt at home in the right hand drive car (Perfect for those clockwise tracks)

Mercedes 7 (81) -- Alpine 10 (80)

*** Round 10 *** Track Test - Le Mans ***

I Already know that the Alpine has an advantage in the brake zones so I will run at tracks with as much top speed as I can find - But maybe a back to back test at La Sarthe will frame up just how powerful the Alpine on the approach into a slow corner...

Mercedes -- 3m44.1
Alpine ------ 3m39.2

Even with no chicanes the Alpine has the speed advantage here - it loses a good old chunk on the Mulsanne, but the Alpine leaps through the corners and it's only real weakness is the top speed on the very longest of flat our sections.

Mercedes 8 (89) -- Alpine 10 (90)

*** Round 11 *** Dristelen Test ***

This took me back as this Track and the Mercedes was a very early part of GT6 for me and the car itself was a mainstay of the early part of the game when I needed a Super Car to race with but I had yet to stump up the raw kazulas to pay for it! But can it prevail in the Alps against an Alpine?

Mercedes -- 3m21.9 (65.3s)
Alpine ------ 3m18.3 (63.8s)

Mercedes 8 (97) -- Alpine 10 (100)

---------------------

Which is best? Looks goes to the Mercedes but the Alpine is just too much fun to drive (Sports Hards - ABS=0 - TCS=0 obviously)

Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 (No Chicanes)_3.jpg

Ryk picks the Alpine

So, a very interesting duel from @Ryk this week, this is the first time we've had VGT's featured on this thread. I have to say that I preferred the Alpine much more than the Mercedes in almost every way, besides the fact that you can't paint it. This week's trial at Matterhorn was also a very challenging track without traction control and sports tires. So ultimately the Alpine came out on top.

Matterhorn times:
Alpine: 1:11.984
Mercedes: 1:11.890

I actually got a marginally faster time with the Mercedes because I didn't push the Alpine as much as I should have.

So let's count the votes:

Mercedes: 1
Alpine: 5

Renault-Vision-GT-Alpine.jpg

So the winner this week is the Alpine VGT!

Also, congratulations to @Vic Reign93 for reigning on @Draggon 's parade this week for the Alpine, and @Draggon for posting the best time in the Mercedes-AMG VGT.

Oh well, looks like France wins yet again for the second week in a row.

This week we have an interesting idea courtesy of @AgentBlackDog. It's somewhat broad, so I'll get right to it.

Duel of the Week #76: Any Truck, Any SUV!

FordF150s.jpg

The premise of this week is pretty simple, find your favourite truck or SUV in GT6 and tell my why it's your favourite. The best write-up will get to pick the duel for next week.

Also, the time trial will take place on Special Stage Route 5 - Reverse, and there will be no restrictions with a PP of under 550! So go all out and tune your favourite not-car for the win!​

This week we have an interesting idea courtesy of @AgentBlackDog. It's somewhat broad, so I'll get right to it.

View attachment 612335

The premise of this week is pretty simple, find your favourite truck or SUV in GT6 and tell my why it's your favourite. The best write-up will get to pick the duel for next week.

Also, the time trial will take place on Special Stage Route 5 - Reverse, and there will be no restrictions with a PP of under 550! So go all out and tune your favourite not-car for the win!​
Count me in for this one.

Well, I completely forgot to vote or even critique these two. I chose the Merc for a few reasons. I'm not so good with MR cars sans TC or the ability to tune the LSD, so the Merc wins there. It's paintable, tuneable, and one of the most stabile cars I have found in the game. I've used it to get wins in everything from National B to Rainmakers, some of the Super Events, and a number of the Seasonals.

The Alpine is a nice car, a killer at the MR career races, but suffers from not being able to be tuned.

Anyway, this week is going to be interesting. Tuning skills required 👍

View attachment 612335

I knew my other idea would be used....:sly:

Let's see. This TT is on CS.

Chevrolet SST, 742 HP/1860 KG: Undriveable at anywhere over 40% throttle and granny-driving. Extreme oversteer and understeers like a pig. Approximately a 1:49.000

Audi Pikes Peak Quattro, 568 HP/1410 KG: Significantly better to drive. Needs left-foot braking to stop it from oversteering on downshift (yes, really). 1:38.481

Land Rover Range Stormer, 636 HP/1865 KG: Slightly worse Quattro. Much easier to point-and-squirt out of corners, though. Brakes need serious work. 1:39.461

Infiniti FX45, 562 HP/1235 KG: Holy crap is this thing good. Easy to drive and easy to manage. 1:38.320

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque i can't feel my tongue 534 HP/1313 KG: Blech.

...You guys get the picture. Most of them suck.

My vote goes to two cars: the Infiniti FX45 Concept and the Mazda MXCrossport Concept.

Here're my thoughts on both:

Infiniti: The FX45 is based on the same platform as the G35 sports sedan, so it was already obvious that this thing would be so well-rounded in turns. In my test run with it, I had very little difficulty with driving it with the exception of one or two power-induced oversteer incidents. It's scary fast off the line as well, and even more viciously quick on the stock transmission (somehow). In fact, this bugger ran a 6:51 on the Nurburgring on RS tires on the very same tune, and that lap time is no joke. It's just a great, well-rounded SUV with the attitude and energy of its sedan cousin.

Mazda: Obligatory Mazda vote aside, this SUV is even more car-like than the FX45. Don't know why, don't care. It just goes and holds the road, no matter what. Mine is 1286 KG, a bit heftier than the Infiniti, but it inexplicably handles better. I used the same tune as a 430pp Touge car and ran an 8:01.8 around the ring where pro drivers were in the 7:51s to 7:56s. Definitely a sleeper of an SUV.

I like Trucking, I like Trucking, I like Trucking and I like to truck...

Right got the theme tune out of the way.

Truck or SUV... Does a Van count?

Faster than a Ferrari Daytona on Route 66?
If a Ferrari 365GTB is travelling at a law abiding 55 mph on the historic American Highway then the Life Step Van can hit an eye watering 62mph in 4th gear. Sure you have to break the speed limit, But why else would you buy a Honda Life Step Van if you were not a rebel?

Lighter than a Lotus?
A Lotus Elan tips the scales at a 639 kg whereas the Life Step Van is a pocket rocket at only 605kg. 34kg of win!

As many wheels as an Aston Martin
The Aston Martin One-77 costs 1,320,000. How many wheels? Four. The Honda costs just 8,800, how many wheels, Exactly the same!

More Paint Chips than a Chevrolet Silverado SST?
The Chevy has just one paint chip, The Honda spoils you with twice as many.

More doors than a Chevrolet SSR
This Chevy has you struggle with just two doors. The Honda has two on each side and one at the back, 5 vs. 2 maybe a rare American Football Score line, but this is a Honda Life Step Van, where anything is possible!

Revs Higher than a Veyron?
The 2 million Kazula Bugatti's 8 litre w16 engine only revs to 6600rpm.... The Life Step Van a screaming 8800revs. 2200 more revs is better, obviously!

Slimmer than an El Camino?
The Chevy El Camino has broad 1905mm hips - and is unable to compete with the Step Van's 1295mm catwalk model hips that let it slink down the narrowest of back alleys, for those inner city deliveries.

Picks up girls better than a Countach?
The Lamborghini has scissor doors but only room for a single, short, supermodel in the passenger seat. The Life Step van has room for three tall models thanks to its low floor and high roof. And has space in the back for their clobber. 3 girls are better than just 1, and that is just a scientific fact.

More Gears than the winner of the 1966 Nurburgring 1000km race?
Jim Hall's Chaparral 2D beat the likes of Ferrari Ford and Porsche with a 3 speed gearbox. Imagine what you can do with the Life Step Van's 4 speed gearbox.

Liquid cooled, 4 stroke, 2 Cylinder, Single Over Head Camshaft, transversely mounted 356cc engine developing a widow making 30 brake horsepower all fed through the front tyres fitted with the very latest rack and pinion steering.

You can only imagine how fast it is on the track... Honda. The Power of Dreams

141b8e7032.jpg

How can this not be the very best van/truck/pickup in GT6?

Ryk

If a Ferrari 365GTB is travelling at a law abiding 55 mph on the historic American Highway then the Life Step Van can hit an eye watering 62mph in 4th gear. Sure you have to break the speed limit, But why else would you buy a Honda Life Step Van if you were not a rebel?

Lighter than a Lotus?
A Lotus Elan tips the scales at a 639 kg whereas the Life Step Van is a pocket rocket at only 605kg. 34kg of win!

The Aston Martin One-77 costs 1,320,000. How many wheels? Four. The Honda costs just 8,800, how many wheels, Exactly the same!

This Chevy has you struggle with just two doors. The Honda has two on each side and one at the back, 5 vs. 2 maybe a rare American Football Score line, but this is a Honda Life Step Van, where anything is possible!

The 2 million Kazula Bugatti's 8 litre w16 engine only revs to 6600rpm.... The Life Step Van a screaming 8800revs. 2200 more revs is better, obviously!

The Chevy El Camino has broad 1905mm hips - and is unable to compete with the Step Van's 1295mm catwalk model hips that let it slink down the narrowest of back alleys, for those inner city deliveries.

The Lamborghini has scissor doors but only room for a single, short, supermodel in the passenger seat. The Life Step van has room for three tall models thanks to its low floor and high roof. And has space in the back for their clobber. 3 girls are better than just 1, and that is just a scientific fact.

Jim Hall's Chaparral 2D beat the likes of Ferrari Ford and Porsche with a 3 speed gearbox. Imagine what you can do with the Life Step Van's 4 speed gearbox.

Liquid cooled, 4 stroke, 2 Cylinder, Single Over Head Camshaft, transversely mounted 356cc engine developing a widow making 30 brake horsepower all fed through the front tyres fitted with the very latest rack and pinion steering.

View attachment 612599
I feel like this is nothing but a joke...

I do like the LIFE STEP though. The last time I drove one, I ended up perpendicular to the ground.

Ryk

Lighter than a Lotus?

View attachment 612599

I'm sorry Ryk, as much as this made me laugh (this is one of the best posts on this thread), I'm afraid we're not looking for K-cars this week. Sorry, but that vote gets the...

IMG_1813.PNG

I'd be happy to accept any vehicle you choose that weighs at least 1,500kg.

Latest Posts

Back