GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, the people have spoken. Introducing into the duel, the...

2005-BMW-M5-FA-Road-1280x960.jpg

2005 BMW M5!!

The time trial will be posted immediately following this change, the tires for all future duels will also be set for stock! boo-hoo to the people who only use comfort softs, this is a democracy!
:cheers:

Alright, the people have spoken. Introducing into the duel, the...

View attachment 618317
2005 BMW M5!!

The time trial will be posted immediately following this change, the tires for all future duels will also be set for stock! boo-hoo to the people who only use comfort softs, this is a democracy!
Well. Since we have 2 high powered German sports sedans squaring off, what about the Mercedes Benz E55 AMG? Granted, I'm not sure how much competition it'll be against the M5 or RS6, they all are direct competitors.

mercedes_benz_e_55_amg__02_by_gt6_garage-d79esfi.jpg

Last edited:
You need to swap the Munich car down, the M5 is far faster than the M3 - And my M3 already dances about the other two like they got chucked out of a beerhall

And the M5 doesn't have a Dark Green Paint chip.

Why isn't a nice thing that M5 is going to win regarding laptimes (just a prediction, not tested yet)? Imho, those comparisons aren't only to provide close battles but to see if a car is better an by how much compared to a competitional one. And Ms were, till recently at least, much better on track than any other german cars of their class. Me thinks that 50-50 weight distro wins on track over 4WD, raw power or huge torque eh?

I'll need to go back and look at the car choice, but I think I can tackle this week's duel.

So, having just run the online trial including the M3 between the three posted in the duel, it turns out that the M5 was quite the outlier, and that MrWaflz's original duel with the M3 representing BMW was a lot closer. It's like multiplayer in Goldeneye 007, if you had a three way fight between Bond, Trevelyan, and Xenia, and then you replaced one of them with Oddjob.

I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this week's duel unfortunately because I'm playing catch-up with online classes and I still have to work as well. This duel will be one round, but I'm including both BMWs in this one.

SL600 - 1:46.386
M5 - 1:41.893
RS 6 - 1:46.564
M3 - 1:46.149

Whether you keep the M5 in or not, BMW still wins, but at least it's a closer match with the M3, as opposed to the curb stomp it is with the M5. They felt more oversteery than the other cars, with the Audi being the understeery one, and the Mercedes being the medium between the two.

My vote goes to the BMW, whichever one ends up being the representative. I'd say M3 personally, since that made for the closer match.

Guys, I agree that M5 was a bit too much for those opponents. If there were RS6 Avant '06 and SL65 AMG against M5, there would be some copetition. Maybe the best opponent from BMW would be Z8 (a match up for SL600 at least). So, let's go with the results of my hotlapping those cruisers (M5 is a trackcar in disquise tbh though).

Laptimes / Maxspeed in main straight (km/h) / lowest speed in 1st corner (km/h)

M5 '05 - 1:39.318 / 234 / 62
SL 600 (R230) '04 - 1:44.696 / 222 / 58
RS 6 '02 - 1:45.679 / 215 / 54

So, the M5 sweeps the floor and except for its awful design it wins clearly in our weekly competition. A much better handling chassis, a screaming V10 with F1 tech in it, opposing to the bulky SL weighting over 2 tons and the "understeering until the end of the world" RS6. The owner of the M5 has the choice to have a trackday car or can transform it to a normal GT cruiser with the push of the magic M button in the middle console dropping its power to 400PS reaching the level of quitness and comfort of the other 2. And the craziest stat between those 3 cars? M5 is the cheapest of them costing (when new) 116k credits, RS6 was almost there at 117K and SL600 topped out at 177k.

German Heavy Metal - Triple Teutonic Treat.

Audi RS 6 vs BMW M3 vs Mercedes Benz SL600

audi.jpg

Audi - I know it is based in Bavaria now, but that iconic Logo started out in Zwickau in Saxony.

merc.jpg

Mercedes-Benz is Stuttgart in Baden-Württemberg

m3.jpg

BMW are based in Munich from Bavaria.

Now my first thought was - That Beemer is going to get squished under the power of the other two. But then I did a cheeky run at the seasonal at Silverstone to earn me close to a million Kazula if I get the win with a 200% Log In bonus - I only managed 1 ... oh, all three cars got the win but I got dropped from the PSN before the end of two of the runs... (The Mercedes was the Prize Money winner by that technicality of wireless infidelity.) But the One I thought would be outmatched was easily the pace setter. But Speed isn't everything in My reviews. So do the other two have any aspects that can out match the m3?

*** Round 1 *** Silverstone Seasonal ***

Hey who cares about feeling things out, lets just run the test!

2m29.8 (13m07.1) Audi RS6
2m28.3 (12m59.7) Mercedes
2m26.5 (12m50.6) BMW M3
----
2m20.6 (12m18.3) BMW M5 (Edit)

Big comfortable win for the M3... but let's examine why...

*** Round 2 *** Powah ***

443bhp - Audi RS6
493bhp - Mercedes SL600
338bhp - BMW M3
-----
500bhp - BMW M5

but how can the lowest powered car win, and win by a solid margin.

*** Round 3 *** Torque ***

37.2kgfm - BMW M3
57.1kgfm - Audi RS6
81.5kgfm - Mercedes SL600
53.5kgfm - BMW M5

Okay the straight six in the Beemer is so modest

*** Round 4 *** Weight ***

2025kg - 54:46 Mercedes SL600
1840kg - 59:41 Audi RS6
1570kg - 50:50 BMW M3
1715kg - 50:50 BMW M5

This bit here was the bit that I guess must have had the biggest effect on the lap times. The Merc is heavy and also front heavy so it works the brakes hard but puts the fronts under a huge loading. The Big thing is how much of the Audi's weight is over that front axel - It makes it a very safe drive, but who wants safe?

*** Round 5 *** Handling ***

A personal thing but with no driver aids the BMW was better, the Audi wasn't as pushy (Understeer heavy) as I expected, but the weight made it pudgy in corners. The Merc was good solid fun, the engine let you have a bit of fun if you like to do powerslides but the weight makes the suspension work extra hard. The Beemer however was wunderbar!

(The M5 however was more fun than the M3 - It builds on the M3 - loses a bit in how soft the suspension is, but it makes up for a slight step back in precision with a really nice balance the Engine really helps out but because it has a softer easier power curve you can get the power down smoothly when compared to the SL600's Monster V12.

*** Round 6 *** Looks ***

The Audi is a 4 door sedan, great for moving a corporate team about the autobahn. The Beemer is only a two door, so is much suited for just two inside. The Merc has a tricksy folding roof... without the need to do it by hand or it being a flimsy fabric. The Audi is last - but the Merc and Beemer are close, but the M3 has a solid set of proportions. However the Mercedes has a slightly more GT sporty look whereas the M3 is a bit more boxy town car in origins.

Wimbit-MercedesJellinek.jpg

THE Mercedes, Yesterday.​

*** Round 7 *** Colours ***

All three win as they all come with Dark Green Paint. Sure there are other colours, but Ryk likes his dark green.

*** Round 8 *** Rapid rule change ***

Dreadful news, the Entry from Bavaria has been disqualified for being out matched by the other two cars...
but happy days the replacement is here... let me just grab the cloth coving the car, which is much larger than the humble looking M3, just a quick pull to reveal.... Arrrgh my eyes!

Well this totally flummoxed me. I thought that the M3 was going to get squished by the other two more powerful cars but it was a real Cinderella story of the little sister rising up to the challenge and trashing her big ugly German sisters...

Then the clock struck midnight and the magic stopped, and there were three ugly sisters...

Now the new "after midnight" Uberbeemer is even more dominant on the track, the high revving V10 engine is a beast that gives it plenty of forward propulsion, but the weight is reasonable and lower than the Audi and Mercedes so it can brake with poise and corner like it has fired a harpoon into the apex - The big let down is the lack of a Green Paint chip. So I went with Alpineweis - which made it into a big of a white whale on track, which isn't so bad in car where the Big M5 will win you over, but the outside...
As the respected American teen sensations "Daphne and Celeste" once sang,
U-G-L-Y you could make an Onion cry...
Who knew the song was about the BMW M5?​

Which is best? Well I'd have said the M3 and praised how much performance it gets from much less physique. A real case of training over talent. But the Steroided up M5 is a juggernaut compared to the Audi and the Mercedes.

M5 wins.

m5.jpg

But the Audi wasn't that bad, looks a bit safe and subtle, the handling wasn't as terrible as I expected - for sure it was the worst but considering where the engine is and the drive train it was better than I expected.

The Mercedes - This was a big loveable lump the V12 engine putting the rear tyres into a headlock and ruffling its hair through every corner like an older sibling. The super smart folding roof would be a plus point... if I could get it to work. But I would prefer the M3 to the SL600.

Nice review as always @Ryk! :cheers:

I forgot to write in my review that while M5 clearly bashed the other 2 cars, SL600 is also much better than the RS6 and gets the 2nd place leaving Audi to 3rd. I wish GT6 had 850CSi in it (it existed in GT4 if my memory serves me well) to put opposite to SL600 though...

UPDATE: My memory plays tricks with me, as 840Ci was in GT2. How fast time goes by...

I ran all 4 cars in the TT since I bought the M3 before the duel was changed to the M5. I also wanted to see if I could match the consistency that @ThrasherDBS showed with his lap times in 3 of the 4 cars. Well, I wasn't consistent, but I did find like the rest of you, that the Audi isn't so good. I have many Audis in my garage, but not the RS6. A few minutes on the track and I figured out why. It feels like a huge lump of steel, with its mass over the front wheels. I was taken aback by how much it understeers. Changing the brake bias to 3/8 helped get into the corners, but the understeer on power out of the corner significantly affected the straight line speed and lap times. As I was slogging around GP/D waiting for the TT to run out, I thought of staggering the tires to free up the back end. I didn't, the car was just not enough fun to try again.

The Merc was a surprise. I've read people slam it on the boards for being lousy, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. Although it has the usual understeer/oversteer issues a heavy F/R has, it was manageable, as was wheelspin. I drove this immediately after the RS6, so by comparison, it was a dream.

The came the M5. As the rest of you have noted, its the best, although in my testing, not as clear a winner as some of you have found. It just does everything well. It's also deceiving. On my warm up, I found I was getting close to 1:40 laps without trying too much. It goes where its pointed, doesn't need TC, and is a pleasure to drive. Not much else to write about this one. Its nice. I was able to get within .5 seconds of the time posted by @Rotorist.

And lastly, the M3. As with the other BMW, it does everything well. Pound for pound for pound ( and PP for PP ) I found it better than the M5. How much can one write about a car that drives so well...I think the big surprise with this one was the ability to lay down the power. I repeatedly got on the throttle what seemed to be way too early, was rewarded with only a touch of tire squeal, and away I went. So, the times:

BMW M5: 1:39.868
BMW M3: 1:42.104
Merc SL600: 1:43.708
Audi RS6: 1:44.479

Winner BMW M5!

Alright guys, let's get this out of the way quick. You wanted the M5, so you got the M5. This pretty much secured the duel for the Beemer from the start. It's obviously the best handling and sounding of the group. Not to mention the fastest. With a unanimous vote, the winner is the...

2005-BMW-M5-FA-Road-1280x960.jpg

2005 BMW M5!!!

(congratulations to @Draggon for securing this week's time trial.)
(And I guess I overlooked the fact that @Rotorist got a fastest lap in one of the cars too)

So the Bavarian Bruiser is obviously the upper echelon when it comes to German luxury performance in GT6, but let's see what the next duel for this week is. This one comes straight from @Rotorist. Featuring two tuner cars from GT6, but from two different regions. It's the...

GT6 Duel of the Week #81: Turn of the Century Tuners!

2832592433_997d9268f2_z.jpg

2000 RE Amemiya RX-7 FD3S!!!

...against the...

DSC00868.jpg

2000 RUF RGT!!!

The track for this week's time trial will be held at Twin Rings Motegi: East Course, so know your way around that track before putting in some times, It's been a while since I was there last. Tires will obviously be stock, and tuning the tuners is of the highest sacrilege, so tuning is disabled like always. Have fun and make these two bluebirds sing!

Last edited:
Let me see here...

Score cap: 10 per category
Criteria:
  • Power
  • Weight
  • Price
  • Sound I'm deaf lol
  • Ease of Use
  • Lap Time (Track 1)
  • Lap Time (Track 2)

Tracks used:
Circuit de la Darthe 2013
Cape Ring (full)

RE Amemiya FD3S RX7
I got this one for free because I finished an event or something. :lol: Excellent-looking car with relatively good stats. 366/1240 is pretty good for power to weight, and RX7s handle pretty well so this should be good.

RUF RGT
Coming in at 378/1330, power to weight ratio is compromised a bit compared to the RX7, but it is carrying 12 more horsepower. RUFs and Porsches have always been known for being fast but lethal cars - will they topple me?

Power:
FD3S: 366 HP (9 points)
RGT: 378 HP (10 points)

Weight:
FD3S: 1240 KG (10)
RGT: 1330 KG (8)

Price:
FD3S: 100,000 (10)
RGT: 143,250 (6)

Sound:
FD3S: A dull, rumbly buzz that resembles a piston engine more than anything. (7)
RGT: A bit buzzy at low end, but excellent grumble at high revs. (8)

Ease of Use:
FD3S: Very grippy and responsive. A little twitchy if pushed too hard but otherwise relaxed. Giving it a perfect score because it could outperform a full blown race car in the right hands. (10)
RGT: Painfully obvious that it's an RR car. Not difficult to correct its oversteer, and it's well rounded otherwise...Except it decided to tank-slap on me the entire back half of Sarthe. Two points off. After the Cape Ring run, I found that the RGT demanded such a specific playstyle that it's not good at all for less familiar players. Had FOUR wipeouts/tank slappers consecutively. Four points off.(3)

Track 1, Sarthe:
FD3S: 4:35.101 (10)
RGT: 4:42.440 (5)

Track 2: Cape Ring
FD3S: 2:52.221(10)
RGT: 3:35.469 (0)

Funny thing to note: During my lap on Sarthe, I almost binned the RUF on the Mulsanne hairpin. Except I somehow kept the car in a controlled slide and got a fast line out of the corner. :eek: ...And it got ruined by the mother of all tank slappers near the end of the lap. How I didn't crash is beyond me, but the loss of momentum from that killed the lap.

Final score:
FD3S: 66
RGT: 40

Vertically-placed rectangular prism votes the FD3S.

Hey all!!!

Apologies for not participating in these last few duels, but for some reason GT Planet's stopped notifying me about new posts on this thread! :eek:

Really gutted, looks like I've missed out on some real rippers! I've unwatched and re-watched the thread, so hopefully that will fix it....?

In either case, I'll hopefully get cracking on this week's duel tomorrow, so stay tuned folks! :cheers:

So before I go in and do the trial, I know we've decided stock tires, but the stock tires on both cars differ. Usually what I do is upgrade the vehicle with the inferior tires to be the same as the one with the superior tires. What do you guys want to do with that? I feel they should still be on even ground.

So before I go in and do the trial, I know we've decided stock tires, but the stock tires on both cars differ. Usually what I do is upgrade the vehicle with the inferior tires to be the same as the one with the superior tires. What do you guys want to do with that? I feel they should still be on even ground.
Seems fair. Go for the better of the two tyre grades, it'll make for more fun!

I remember having the RGT go against the '02 Viper way back when. I found the Porsche wannabe more fun to drive despite being tail happy. Though I can't make my own decision until I drive the RX7.

I really like both of these - the RGT/996 has that iconic Boxster nose and 3.6l flat 6 turbo hanging off the back -
The Amemiya? The RX-7 is such a great car but when Mahōtsukai (Wizards) at Chiba worked their dark arts on it... just look at what they did to the door mirrors! The horror!

So that would make the Ruf the Red Oni (Hot blooded Demon)
and the Amemiya the Blue Oni (Cool headed Demon).

Which is best? Pfaffenhausen Red Oni or Chiba Blue Oni?

As Nismonath5 said yesterday - "Stay Tuned..."

Bah-dum tish

As of this moment, the regulations on the club event page says tires are "no limit". Shouldn't this be changed?

Should those of us participating come to a gentleman's agreement then? Should we go with the RX-7's stock tires? (SS), the RGT's stock tires? (SH), or should we do the grade in between? (SM)?

Should those of us participating come to a gentleman's agreement then? Should we go with the RX-7's stock tires? (SS), the RGT's stock tires? (SH), or should we do the grade in between? (SM)?
I did my test on their stock tires respectively.

Back