GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys, quick announcement: The time trial length has been updated to 20 minutes in duration, find an extra five minutes in your day! Also, a member on GTP by the name of @GTPVenomZombie is looking for people to help him recreate the dreaded Mission 34 of GT4 on the nurburgring, so talk to him if you're interested.
As a bonus, I'm the shmuck in the Gullwing.

I like rear wheel drive cars a lot better than front wheel drive cars. They're usually more fun to throw around, and I feel more comfortable with oversteer than under. That being said, I was calling it for the Nissan winning this duel. I like the Z, not so much the Megane.

How did this duel shake out? Well...

Bathurst Trial:
Z32 - 2:40.170
Renault - 2:40.531

Rotenboden Trial:
Z32 - 1:59.716
Renault - 1:56.864

SSR5 Trial:
Z32 - 1:43.371
Renault - 1:42.598

I can't necessarily explain it. Everything about the Z felt great. Stable in the corners without being too stable and it felt like it had a decent amount of power. Along comes the Renault, and it winds up trumping the Z. The Renault felt understeery. I felt like I had to use the brakes a lot earlier to compensate. For heaven's sakes, on the Bathurst trial, the Renault topped out at 147mph on the back straight after coming back down the hill! This didn't seem right to me.

The only thing I can think of is that the Renault is better accelerating because it's 200kg lighter than the Z, but that's about it. In terms of overall behavior, I definitely prefer the Nissan, but given the nature of my duels, I don't have any choice but to give my vote to the car who won at least 2 of the 3 trials.

The Renault gets my vote.

Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
3.0L
276 hp / 6,200 rpm
286 ft-lb / 3,600 rpm
1,510 kg (3,329 lbs)
440 pp

Renault Sport Mégane R.S. Trophy '11
2.0L
261 hp / 5,500 rpm
266 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,387 kg (3,058 lbs)
440 pp

Man this is a great duel. Both cars have 440 PP's (heh). The Z32 has 15 hp and 20 ft-lbs more than the Renault (Sport) and weighs 123 kg (271 lbs) more, yet the old dog crosses the finish line side-by-side with the young Megan. Er, Megane. Sigh. Mégane.

Nissan went 1 mph faster on the straight, with a max speed of 134 mph.

I'm an 80's baby so the styling and old-tech of the Nissan appeal to me greatly. I really dislike the Renault when compared with the Clio Trophy. That car is a hoot!

Last edited:
I've been super freaking busy this week, and when I finally tried to pit these two rivals together, my internet conked out!!! :mad:

Might be late, but I'll do it one way or another! Even if the TT event's finished by then!

I've been super freaking busy this week, and when I finally tried to pit these two rivals together, my internet conked out!!! :mad:

Might be late, but I'll do it one way or another! Even if the TT event's finished by then!

I had the same old PSN connection problem last night. I will try again in a few mins and update with my findings even if I am forced to test them offline.

UPDATE

PSN was bad in connection stability for the last 2 days and I was forced again to test those at free run offline (real grip though as usual). 4 practice laps and 1 hotlap was my format this time.

'89 Z32 laptime was 2:38.330 with a top speed of 247 km/h and a max grip of 0.93G.

2011 Megane RS made it in 2:38.497, maxed out at 236 km/h (redline in 6th gear) and had more grip at 0.98G.

So, considering the very close ratio of the RS gearbox, its lower weight and the 22 years in car evolution between them, I would take the Z32 if in good condition any day. For hotlapping I wouldn't get an FF either way as its understeering when pushed even being very small, it ruins the fun factor. Design wise, Z is better also even if RS tries hard there and its miles better than the previous gen of Megane.

Japan wins here clearly, not so much in hotlapping, but in general value of the car. After all, Megane RS isn't the proper car for long trips on the return home after the track, while Z32 would be the perfect choice for both roles when compared to the RS.

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys have been getting such close times in both cars. Either I'm good with FF cars, or poor with FR :ill: maybe both. Anyway, my times unless I give another go:

Megane R.S Trophy '11 2:34.947
Fairlady 300ZX '89 2:36.271

I'm clearly faster by well over a second in the Renault. Once I got past the lousy muffler, it was an OK drive. It could benefit from better brakes, and hit the rev limiter down the Conrod straight, but overall a decent drive ( however I prefer its little brother the Clio ) The Nissan was more difficult to drive, had a LOT of body roll, but rotates very well, has great brakes, topped out at 152 mph, and sounds pretty good. After a handful of practice laps, and then the TT, I was at my limit and couldn't pick up any more time.

As has been my experience before, the faster car is not always my pick. Besides, for a Sunday afternoon cruise through the countryside, the Megane is just another wanna-be-cool foreign car. The 300ZX is legendary!

Winner: Fairlady 300ZX '89

Mégane vs Fairlady

rennisalliance.jpg

Let's have a Car based Karaoke, okay?

*** And I go la la la la la she's got the look ***
The Fairlady has a very effective low slung lean and sleek look. The front has an EB110 Bugatti flavour and a shape that is just sportscar. Good job Isao Sono & Toshio Yama****a .. The Mégane hasn't got the same proportions with the chunky squat look to it that doesn't tick the boxes for me. It is very much a shape issue and I am sure this one has bags of bubbly charm to it if I got to know it...
Fairlady - Modern sleek Sports car with a slight sleezy edge - win

*** She Drives Me Crazy ***
Very easy round here thanks to the fine young cannibals, a Front wheel drive car will just suck the fun out of driving and drove me insane. The Rear Wheel drive Nissan will let you enjoy the ride as you gobble up the miles.
Win for the Nissan

*** Inner Self ***
When dealing with cars one of the first battles is how big is that hunk of metal in the middle of the car: the internal combustion engine. The Renault has 2 litres, the Nissan has 3 litres.
Win for the Nissan

*** Baby Don't Forget My Number ***
Both cars have the same sort of cylinder size, but the Nissan has 2 more and in a nice compact V6 layout, the Renault is your basic four pot in a line. 6 always better than 4.
Win for the Nissan

*** Critical Mass***
Mass under the effect of gravity or some other external force will tell you the weight of an object - and so the lighter Renault will let you generate more cornering forces to equal the Nissan. The Renault does have a big advantage here and is one of the few good aspects of the car.
1387kg vs. 1510kg
Win for the Dainty Deippe Renault

*** The Right Stuff ***
And by right stuff I mean lashings of raw powah! The Renault is okay pushing that four pot to an impressive 261 horsepowers, but Nissan, You got it (The right stuff) on paper the twin turbo should develope 276bhp that is 15 more Wyld Stallyns...
Win for the Princess Babes, I mean the Fairlady dude.

*** Wild Thing ***
Some time you just need to Torque to get the job done. I've not got the exact numbers here but you trust me when I say that the Nissan has more low end peak torque than the Renault. (39.6 vs. 36.7)
Win for the Nissan

*** Gasping for Air ***
Both cars are turbocharged by not one but by two turbochargers, so neither will struggle to breathe like a naturally aspirated car would.
Shared round

*** Every Rose Has Its Thorn ***
The Gearbox on the Renault is a thing of beauty 6 gears all closly packed that really extracts the most from the engine - however, every rose has it's thorn... Just like every gearbox has a rev limit but the Limit on the Renault is a real pain, And just like a cowboy, this gearbox sings a sad sad song once you get to 147mph. The Fairlady? Limited to a speed that is 37 (Thirty Seven!) of your finest Imperial English Miles per Hour which is about one French kilometre per minute. every minute. (A football field every 6 seconds...)
147mph - Mégane
184mph - Fairlady
Emphatic win for the Nissan

*** Sins of Omission***
Understeer is a reprehensible sin that no car should willingly embrace, The Nissan tried it's best back in 1989 with rear wheel steering and a balanced weight distribution. The Mégane is a front wheel drive car, but it understeers like a horror and the more you lower the mechanical grip of the tyres the worse the understeer effects the car in comparison to the well balanced Fairlady. (I fix this by bolting on hard grade tyres at the rear because life is too short to endure understeer!)
Nissan Win

*** Buffalo Stance ***
Being a model you need lots of colourful clothes... the Foxy Frenchy has four chips - Black white grey or the signature Jaune Sirius (Part Deux).
The Japanese Jalopy has twice as many chips and as good as Jaune Sirius (Part Deux) is the Fairlady has this round won. 4 chips -Mégane
8 chips - Fairlady
Another win for the Nissan

*** Love Shack ***
15 miles down the Atlanta highway... oddly the Director of the music video to this quirky song from 1989 was also the director of the "Box Cutter" episode of Breaking Bad in 2011... (1989 and 2011 - wow like poetry, it rhymes.) Usual trip to the 18 mile venue of velocity. Route X. Now the gearbox round has already scuppered the usual top speed element to this... so onto the next song...

*** Straight Up ***
How fast could each cars do the initial 5000 meter run at Route X? (That is a straight bit of track that goes up an incline at the end... Straight/Up... Someone told me no one liked Paula Abdul!)

82.6s - Mégane
74.9s - Fairlady

*** Surprise, You're Dead ***
But can a thing from 1989 really outpace a car 22 years younger by a minute after just one lap?
Route X - Single Lap
7m55.2 - Mégane
6m33.6 - Fairlady

Epic win for the Fairlady in a result that didn't come... from out of nowhere.

*** This Time I Know It's for Real ***
Okay, so we ran a test at a big oval how about a Real track in a seasonal event? How about Tsukuba...

Tsukuba Seasonal Fastlap
67.8 - Mégane
68.3 - Fairlady

Not sure just where the Nissan gains the time but on a track where it does dribble like an idiot at speeds close to 150 that close ratio box gives it a real advantage at staying in the power band. The Nissan was okay but its top speed advantage was lost here.
Both cars however were easily able to get Ryk a crisp 500,000+ windfall in Kazulas and a spiffy new Lancer Evo IX. (Ryk liked that.)
Narrow win for the Renault

*** Burning Inside ***
And with these cars the One has a reasonable handling aspect, small spoons of understeer and oversteer in places a bit of power wheelspin on corner exits if you hoon it - but in such modest amount you would have to be a total Maldonado to Lose control. The Renault has one flavour of handling issues and that is a big bucket of pushy understeer that saddens my heart in every corner. The Fairlady may be a bit simple in the corners, but the Mégane is worse if you really attack a corner the fronts will over load and the inside front will overheat, you could say it was burning inside...
Nissan wins

*** Two Hearts ***
Two hearts beating as one... but which engine beats faster? Oddly the winner is the larger engine which is much older... Has technology regressed that much? The Rev limiter would suggest so. 6000rpm = Mégane... 7000rpm = Fairlady.
Win for the Nissan.

The only winner was the Nissan Z Fairlady 300ZX by Datsun
- The Megane had alot of issues for me, But if you can live with the understeer, and clattering into the rev limiter at any meaningful track (Sorry Tsukuba) then maybe the Dieppe hot hatch is the car for you.

This review was brought to you by the following Musical acts (In no order!)

(Sepultura) (Phil Collins) (Paula Abdul) (Ministry) (Nuclear Assault) (Roxette) (Tone Loc) (Milli Vanilli) (Neneh Cherry) (B-52's) (Donna Summer) (New Kids On The Block) (Testament) (Faith No More) (Poison) (Fine Young Cannibals) (Autopsy)

and the numbers 19 and 89 and a few references to 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'

Attachments

• megfairh2h.jpg
    megfairh2h.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 10
So, my pick for the better car between the Nissan 300ZX and the Renaultsport Megane is actually the Megane. I feel like it's one of the only FWD cars in GT6 that I actually enjoy driving. It has decent power and can keep up with lower-tier sports cars relatively easily. I tested them both at Apricot Hills and the Megane was faster by about 100th of a second. So it wins my vote. The Nissan is alright, but it doesn't feel as sporty as it should for me. I dunno, just my opinion.

So let's go ahead and count the votes:
Renault Megane: 2
Nissan 300ZX: 4

So the mostly slower car pulled a surprisingly large victory over the French hatch. Thus, the winner is the...

1990-1996-nissan-300zx-turbo-z32-3292_6595_969X727.jpg

1989 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32)!!!
(Good job @Draggon and @ThrasherDBS for participating in the time trial) (the winning times were both @Draggon's)

So, I hope you guys saved up for this next duel...​

Last edited:
So, It's time for the next duel. This week I didn't think too much about the balance of performance, it was based more around which car feels better in your hands. Does older technology make a more rewarding drive, or does the newer stuff keep you on the road easier? It's time to find out with the only two F1 cars in GT6. Also, if you want to, you can include the Ferrari F2007/F10 in this duel if you own either car in GT5 for comparison.

Without further ado, I believe you already know both cars.

GT6 Duel of the Week #78: Formula Juan!

1438ff8079f9a2aca397bfe5e08eb892-d7sazfr.jpg

The 1985 Lotus 97T...

and the

car_352_46737_555f4270031c9.jpg

...2004 Formula Gran Turismo!!!

The time trial this week will take place on the 1980's version of Monza! So make sure your car is set up for the appropriate downforce, and your gearing is set up just right. (just like a real F1 race)
Next week will be something special for Christmas, so stay tuned...

Hey hey people!

Well with this week's duel, I was pretty tempted to join in... but alas, I'm a tad bit confused. I looked at the event, and it says it's Tuning Prohibited even though this was said earlier, here in this thread...

So make sure your car is set up for the appropriate downforce, and your gearing is set up just right. (just like a real F1 race)​
Is this a mistake or am I just wrong in thinking this should be a tuning allowed event???

Cheers​

Hey hey people!

Well with this week's duel, I was pretty tempted to join in... but alas, I'm a tad bit confused. I looked at the event, and it says it's Tuning Prohibited even though this was said earlier, here in this thread...

Is this a mistake or am I just wrong in thinking this should be a tuning allowed event???

Cheers​

It's just regular for me to prohibit tuning each week, but I can allow it this one week. I'll have to change the event settings to match though.

I always appreciate it when people point out my mistakes! :cheers:

Given that duel of the week is usually cars in their stock forms, I'm probably going to abstain from this week's online trial if people are going to be modifying their cars.

With both of these cars, there's nothing to add power wise at all, so in that regard it's pretty well an even slate. But I will admit that a good tranny/diff/downforce combo does make a difference.

Or the tune that I still have on my Lotus which was done by Weider, that tune is insane for downforce with a custom gearbox and suspension. :cool:

I would also vouch for this tune... I've tried out several other tunes out there, and this one SPANKS them all tbh.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well well... Terribly sorry for missing my own duel, but as it happens this week's been hectic. I started a new job which sucked away my Friday and weekend, had to do all my christmas shopping, and start preparing for a mass family gathering on Christmas day. I hardly had time for COTW, let alone DOTW... :dunce:

But, I promised I'd do it, so here's my write up! (Pics not included this week, again, sorry!)

The Megane
I've never really had any interest in Renault hatchbacks. I did kinda like the Clio RS when it was chosen for COTW, but they've never really tickled my fancy. But when I took the Megane RS Trophy to the mountain, it had a relatively good feeling to it. It did understeer somewhat when launched into the chase at breakneck speed, but other than that, it was pretty good! It went where I pointed it, didn't feel to dangerous while assaulting the downhill run, and set an awesome lap time of 2:35.537! :D

The 300ZX
Anyone who knows me knows that late 90's - early 00's JDM is the genre of cars that I enjoy the most. The Evo4 Lancer, DC5 Integra, R33 Skyline and, funnily enough, the 300ZX. With a little over 400km logged in my car, I returned it to stock, and sent it on it's way around Bathurst. And despite not understeering at the chase like it's rival, it was slower. Which is a shame, because it had a much better feel to it than the Megane. I ended up logging a 2:38.667, and that was after a whole half hour of trying to beat the Megane. :mad:

The Verdict
I really wanted the 300ZX to beat the Megane's lap time, but I just couldn't do it. The Megane felt really good everywhere except the chase, whereas the 300ZX felt really good everywhere including the chase. It was still slower though, and this means I'm literally torn between the two. However, I think I'll say the 300ZX won this one, because I prefer driving pleasure over speed. :sly:

Last edited:
One of Ayrton Senna's turbocharged monster F1 cars from the 80s versus a generic 2004 Formula 1 car. I wonder how this is going to shake out.

Imola 1994 Trial:
Lotus - 1:33.796
FGT - 1:53.735

SSR5 Trial:
Lotus - 1:11.718
FGT - 1:18.056

No testing on the Matterhorn, because lordy lord, that would have been suicide. The online replica of 1994 Imola was a good substitute anyway. The Lotus is reasonably stable on its own, whereas the Formula GT loses it over every single bump or elevation change. (Had no issues on Tamburello though.) To cap it off, the Lotus is more powerful and lighter (slightly) than the Formula GT. Therefore it wins.

Ayrton Senna's Lotus wins.

Special Thanks to @TaSiMa for his awesome replica of 1994 Imola!

Age before Beauty???

So, in my first ever DOTW we have a combo that was simply way too irresistible to ignore. Formula 1 always had a special allure for me. Unmatched speed and performance combined with the ever changing pace of technology leads to a sport that is always reinventing itself... in short, it's never dull and boring. Here we have 2 prime examples of that point. Can the newer technological features of the FGT outperform the ageless beauty of an iconic symbol of speed???

eeQ1uRE.jpg

One of the great things about Formula cars, is that they look fast even when they're standing still. When they get fired up, the other senses get inundated with input that turns anyone into a kid... it's impossible to avoid. To see them move piloted by the masters of the day is awe inspiring. When you think of the numbers relating to power, speed and weight, it becomes apparent that special combinations of man and machine have to be achieved to reach the greatness that history will remember.

ClP34ry.jpg

Arguably one of the most iconic liveries of yesteryear made even more famous by one of the most iconic drivers of the sport. With the glory of premium status in GT6, the Lotus is stunning to look at, let alone drive. The sights, sounds and feelings evoked when speeding around world famous track locations usually lead to me giggling like a little kid at Xmas who's having fun with the toy that was wanted oh so badly. Actually, fun just doesn't cut it as a description.

5Knr5yE.jpg

Ahh, the FGT... still a good looking weapon on wheels. Cheated by fate or maybe just a decision not to be improved upon visually. Of course, having the disadvantage of not actually existing might have something to do with it. Still wicked fun though, as I've been tossing it around the streets of Tokyo in the latest Quick Matches. Doing well against opponents from across the world brings its own pleasures. You can honestly tell who can actually handle it and who can't. Weapons wielded properly separate the men from the boys. Another feather for the cap.

Meanwhile over in Italy, back in a decade where my hair was longer than my memory is now, we get to fine tune these weapons to bring out the full potential of not only the machines themselves, but us as well. For myself, the results actually surprised me. The Lotus has the advantage of more power. The FGT has the advantage of a superior gearbox. What does this get ya??? Well in my hands, it got this...

Formula Gran Turismo @ Monza 80's: 1:15.799

Lotus 97T 1985 @ Monza 80's: 1:15.744

It was ALOT closer than I would have ever imagined. To be honest, I was stunned. Now I have to try and judge the winner by something other than the numbers that were only separated by hundredths of a second. Both have multiple "looks"... the FGT comes in a large variety of colours. The Lotus has the benefit of being customisable with a number of kits that can be mixed and matched to create your own look. Decisions, decisions...

lbbqucH.jpg

All in all, the Lotus when tuned gave me a sense of confidence that I never got with the tuned FGT. I'll admit in my testing, the FGT was quite a bit faster on the straights, probably due to it's 7 speed transmission. However, the Lotus had the cornering ability to destroy the FGT in the chicanes or the curves where you'd have to lift off the throttle or do some minor braking. Being able to go flat out in the majority of turns gave the Lotus a huge advantage handling wise. The looks of it push it over the edge... the winner is the Lotus in my opinion.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back