GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
It is an advantage due to sound and disadvantage due to power.

Well yeah, I can understand power being a Con, because there's a reason why the LS7 has to be that big (7 liters) in order to produce that kind of power. That's why turbocharging and supercharging became mainstream in cars; they allow small engines to have a level of power and performance comparable to bigger engines, and the space that they can take up isn't all that much. Just look at the GT-R, its engine has only nearly half the displacement of the LS7, and yet it produces almost the same amount of power and torque. You have to admit, that is some pretty amazing engineering.

Well yeah, I can understand power being a Con, because there's a reason why the LS7 has to be that big (7 liters) in order to produce that kind of power. That's why turbocharging and supercharging became mainstream in cars; they allow small engines to have a level of power and performance comparable to bigger engines, and the space that they can take up isn't all that much. Just look at the GT-R, its engine has only nearly half the displacement of the LS7, and yet it produces almost the same amount of power and torque. You have to admit, that is some pretty amazing engineering.
I'd still take the big engine :D

I've actually done this duel recently in GT6. Using the '09 ZR1 vs. '09 Spec-V as seen in the GTPSP Intro, Free Run driving on all Silverstone variations, A1 Ring GP, Willow Springs, Midfield, Spa, Nurb GP, Nurb 24H and Suzuka '14. No timed runs.

The Spec-V does not feel as fast as thw ZR1. The ZR1 feels good through the gears(DS3 user here). True about the sound adding to the feel of speed. When I have to use 5th, i know Im making some serious speed. Looks good in replays.

The Spec-V grips like a scalded cat on carpet. I like all its tech that lets me concentrate on driving fast. Ive driven a C6 convertble auto in real life and only rode in a '12 R35 on a track. They both are amazing in how they make me feel when using them in game. Funny, I like the ZR1 for its fun to drive factor and I like the Spec-V for how serious I can attack a circuit.

Just a few hours ago I've finally done my testing on both the cars featured in this week's rivalry. I've seen some of the posts here indicating that so far, the Vette has been dominating. While the R35 does have amazing grip and handling, it's the Vette's engine and power/weight ratio that helps it take the win in the courses used so far. With that in mind, I picked a course wherein the GT-R could stand a chance. A track that's technical and full of low- to mid-speed corners. So I brought both cars over to Autumn Ring.

I drove both cars bone stock, using S:H tires, all driving aids Off including TCS but ABS set to 1, and the only thing I changed in the settings are the brake balances (I used 2 F / 3 R on both cars to allow me to trailbrake easily).

First off is the GT-R. And true enough, its handling and setup are perfect for this track. I was able to get a very consistent line, and what I love about this car is that it has very predictable and manageable understeer. You can feel that the car is telling that you are going wide, and so you have to slow down. Once you've slowed down enough, the awesome grip just kicks in again and you're off.

Ater 6 laps or so I've clocked in a time of 1:23.856.
20150704_133145_zpsjlvcyhia.jpg

Okay, time now for the Vette. Right from the get-go, I noticed the difference in acceleration, with the Vette's of course being significantly superior. What I've also noticed is that, because the car is FR compared to the GT-R's AWD drivetrain, the Vette is able to get a higher mid-apex speed around Autumn Ring's round corners. Of course you can increase its slip angle slightly by using the power to make the car drift a little bit, but this requires incredibly precise driving. It's at the tight consecutive corners and chicanes where the Vette loses, because it's a lot less stable than the GT-R. I found myself tapping the brakes in chicane entries just so I could keep the car stable and not lose traction. After around the same number of laps, I was really surprised at the result.

20150704_134441_zpsaig5lmii.jpg

I'm like "Whaaaaaaatt??? :odd:" The Vette managed to clock in a faster lap time of 1:23.732. Desperate to see what sort of witchcraft the Vette used, I took out the GT-R again for a 2nd run.

This time I tried to brake as late as I can, used more finesse on the brakes when trailbraking and be very gentle with the throttle when attacking the round corners. And this time, I got a faster lap time while being very consistent.

I have to admit, I was impressed with myself after I got that 1:23.249. I didn't think I could push the car any harder than that, and so I switched over to the Vette to give it another go, just to be fair.
20150704_135908_zpsx1qi0kjl.jpg

One thing I noticed about the Vette is, similar to real life, it is NOT ideal for technical courses. You have to be alot more precise with the throttle input, or else you'll just end up spinning the tires and losing traction. My lap times were a lot less consistent, because whenever I attempted to push the car just a little bit harder, I end up going wide on corner entries, or just spin the tires on corner exits. This was the best I could do.

20150704_141158_zpsnfcqyzwn.jpg

While the 1:23.628 was faster compared to the first run, it was not enough to beat the GT-R. I then looked back at the runs and thought that I seemed to have just gotten lucky on the Vette's lap times, because my runs on that car were less consistent. That's not to say that the Vette is a bad car; it's an awesome car, just not suited around Autumn Ring and such.

Final comments:

I'm not so sure, but I think the Vette does stand a chance against the GT-R at Autumn Ring, provided that the player is using a wheel setup instead of a standard DS3 controller, and has amazing throttle control. While I was doing the laps, even though the GT-R has a higher exit speed out of corners, the Vette's power and weight advantage allows it to have a higher entry speed before braking hard on corner entries. Plus it's RWD, so trailbraking is more manageable. However, the GT-R's brakes are slightly more powerful which allows it to counter that. I think it's fair to say that the cars are somewhat evenly matched when racing in Autumn Ring. Which is sad to say, because I was really hoping that the GT-R would be much, much faster around here.

Last edited:
One of the best GT-R examples on Ebay from a dealership is selling for $65,000 with 10k miles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-GT-R...tr=true&hash=item43df0b56ec&item=291504871148

One of the best C6 Z06 examples on Ebay from a dealership is selling for $40,000 with 18k miles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...tr=true&hash=item3aacff6113&item=252010520851

Is the GT-R worth $25,000 more than the Z06?
For an engine half as V8-ish? Hells nah. I'd take a Vette every time. Why?
BOOM.gif

Because EXPLOOOOOOSIOOOOOOONS!

One of the best GT-R examples on Ebay from a dealership is selling for $65,000 with 10k miles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-GT-R...tr=true&hash=item43df0b56ec&item=291504871148

One of the best C6 Z06 examples on Ebay from a dealership is selling for $40,000 with 18k miles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...tr=true&hash=item3aacff6113&item=252010520851

Is the GT-R worth $25,000 more than the Z06?

The prices reflected could be because of accessibility, shipping, taxes, and so on, too.

Well, I'm going to stop chickening out and place my money on the GT-R, as much as I adore my Corvettes.
Godzilla rules. Fiercely.

The prices reflected could be because of accessibility, shipping, taxes, and so on, too.

Well, I'm going to stop chickening out and place my money on the GT-R, as much as I adore my Corvettes.
Godzilla rules. Fiercely.

Yeah, I really think shipping costs is one of the reasons why GT-Rs (or cars in general) get so expensive when imported. I mean, when the Vette C7 was released, it was under $40k in the US, and yet when it was sold in the UK, it costed $64k. One reason is that GM made the optional performance package as default on that car, but based on what I read the package doesn't cost $20k. And even with competitive pricing, it shouldn't really reach that high of a price tag.

Yeah, I really think shipping costs is one of the reasons why GT-Rs (or cars in general) get so expensive when imported. I mean, when the Vette C7 was released, it was under $40k in the US, and yet when it was sold in the UK, it costed $64k. One reason is that GM made the optional performance package as default on that car, but based on what I read the package doesn't cost $20k. And even with competitive pricing, it shouldn't really reach that high of a price tag.

A brand new base C7 MSRP is $56,000 in the USA. According to my time trial at Mid-Field, the C7 is less than a second slower than the C6 Z06 and GT-R. The Z51 Performance Package option adds $5,000 to the base price, bringing the total to $61,000, which is about as much as you'll pay for a 6 year old GT-R.

The C7 Z06 starts at $80,000 which is what you'll pay for a 2012 GT-R. The GT-R doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited:
Like this thread, but I would have paired the Corvette with the Ford GT. The GT-R is a little tricky, but a showdown with the LFA seems close.

American muscle FR vs MR and Japanese precision 4WD vs MR.

It's been a heated week. Between people debating about the Corvette and the GT-R, I had some free time to test these two out. So with that, lets get underway.

3 laps at Brands Hatch (sports hard tires, no upgrades)

The Corvette likes to be on the straights, acceleration is good, but the corners can be a different story. It can be tricky at times going through the tighter turns, but it does pretty god on the sweeping curves.

The GT-R on the other hand is all wheel drive. Most 4wd cars have the downside of understeer, but the GT-R's understeer can be predicted and fixed before going off track and losing precious time. I would give the looks to the GT-R.

So how do they compare on the track?

GT-R: 1:35.008
Corvette Z06: 1.35.052

But

1:17.977 - 541 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06
1:18.046 - 529 - Nissan GT-R '07

The Corvette could also have the better time. So how can we settle this once and for all?

Definitely the Corvette.
My pick goes to the Corvette.
CORVETTE FTW!!!!!1!1!!11!
it's the Vette for me.
I would go with the GT-R
The GT-R wins this for me.
Corvette Z06 all the way for me
I'd take a Vette every time.
I'm going to stop chickening out and place my money on the GT-R
GT-R: 3
Corvette: 6

And the winner is......

2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06-pic-1528.jpeg

The 2006 Corvette Z06!!!
Though I did choose the GT-R, the Corvette still makes me want to drive it every time I see one. Though I don't know if it's worth an extra $15,000....

This thread keeps on trucking along, so check in tomorrow for next week's duel.

How about...
McLaren MP4 vs Ferrari 458 vs Audi R8 5.2 vs Mercedes SLS AMG vs Lamborghini Gallardo vs Aston Martin One 77?
....no 6 cars at once? K then

Toyota Prius '09 vs Nissan Leaf? :D

McLaren F1 vs Buggati Veyron? That would awesome!

Toyota Supra RZ vs Nissan Skyline GTR R34? That's sounds good to me too.

Last edited:
I just realised that both winners of Week 1 and week 2 are cars that are more common to spot than the other one's (Where I live).

I've seen plenty of 3rd and 4th gen Impreza WRX STI but I saw a Lancer Evo twice only! One was a blue Lancer Evo X collecting dust and the other was a yellow Lancer EVO IX which i saw the same exact car at different spots and places. The same goes to Corvette and GT-R, while 2007+ GT-R's isn't much of a rare car, the C6 Corvette is much more common car to spot on streets than a GT-R.

I just realised that both winners of Week 1 and week 2 are cars that are more common to spot than the other one's (Where I live).

I've seen plenty of 3rd and 4th gen Impreza WRX STI but I saw a Lancer Evo twice only! One was a blue Lancer Evo X collecting dust and the other was a yellow Lancer EVO IX which i saw the same exact car at different spots and places. The same goes to Corvette and GT-R, while 2007+ GT-R's isn't much of a rare car, the C6 Corvette is much more common car to spot on streets than a GT-R.
I guess that's the appeal of the Vette. A hero car that the common man can get (sort of), plus it truly does enter the realm of supercars.

Back