GT6's Drift Community - WTF happened?!

• Thread starter JDM SRE70
  • 55 comments
Australia
Royale Natio Touge
JDM_Tuning-JZE70
Hey Guys,

Most of you wouldn't know me (I assume). But i used to play Gran Turismo religiously since release till sometime September last year. The community was great, especially on here. Threads were always active, full of photo's, comments, and nostalgic remarks about a lobby someone was in just moments ago.

Anyway, It's been a year and few months for me now, and i've finally finished my studies and can afford to invest some time into GT6 and it's community. But what has me wondering, is what the hell happened? I've never seen the forums so dead before, now even a a weekly check of the forums will have you with a maximum of 6 alerts or so. Replies on threads are now days apart instead of minutes? I understand there were some toxic seeds in among the community, but so does every other community. Which may have discouraged a few.

But seriously what happened to mass of active forum members? Or am i oblivious to the activity that goes on in here orrr am i a hopeless romantic?

Hey Guys,

Most of you wouldn't know me (I assume). But i used to play Gran Turismo religiously since release till sometime September last year. The community was great, especially on here. Threads were always active, full of photo's, comments, and nostalgic remarks about a lobby someone was in just moments ago.

Anyway, It's been a year and few months for me now, and i've finally finished my studies and can afford to invest some time into GT6 and it's community. But what has me wondering, is what the hell happened? I've never seen the forums so dead before, now even a a weekly check of the forums will have you with a maximum of 6 alerts or so. Replies on threads are now days apart instead of minutes? I understand there were some toxic seeds in among the community, but so does every other community. Which may have discouraged a few.

But seriously what happened to mass of active forum members? Or am i oblivious to the activity that goes on in here orrr am i a hopeless romantic?
Well to be honest SRE70 people got bored of gran turismo and realised that there are better things out there to play. For example, project cars, forza 6, drive club etc. And so fourth people upgraded to the ps4 like myself or moved to xbox because as we know PD let us all down in gt6 and people lost their patience. Another note people are in school here in the America's so maybe that's the lack of people. Also many of us since we are getting older are getting jobs and we don't have time for gt6 like myself unfortunately. Sad to say this bit its true. All I saw last time when I was on like 3 weeks ago was team vs team battles and these new players think their the kings of the world so. Yea.. i kinda got anoyjed and bored because every car I had was fully tuned and there was nothing to drive. To be completely honest if gt6 had a decal editor I'd probably still be playing it because of the awesome cars we would be able to create :). Also I found it weird that gt6's competition has awd to rwd swaps/ engine swaps/ decals so in mu case I kinda gave up on it. As the course creator was a dispointment yet..again since I can't recreate my favourite small tracks like nikon circuit, meihan, bihoku it was a huge slap in the face. So as of my case I'm waiting for nfs and I could do whatever I want to my cars which is wicked. :)

I got a steering wheel and sucked massively which kind of put me off. Then my brother moved in with his two year old which made leaving the steering wheel set up just like another one of his toys so I packed it up before he broke it. I did actually spend an hour or so modifying the table it was on this afternoon hoping to get back on soon. My wheel also has a broken clamp to hold it down, anyone have any experience ordering a part like that or have a broken g27?

I got a steering wheel and sucked massively which kind of put me off. Then my brother moved in with his two year old which made leaving the steering wheel set up just like another one of his toys so I packed it up before he broke it. I did actually spend an hour or so modifying the table it was on this afternoon hoping to get back on soon. My wheel also has a broken clamp to hold it down, anyone have any experience ordering a part like that or have a broken g27?

I'll pm you about the G27, i have one here spare that i use for parts. So i should be able to help you out :)

It died unfortunately

RIP :(

It makes me sad.
AdiBPrO.jpg

I'm about to jump back on and have a mess around just with a ds3 if anyone else is around and doesn't mind me stinking up their room?

Probably abit late, but i officially have my first drive on the G27 tomorrow. A few of us are coming online around about 5pm EST for Australians, and +10GMT for internationals. So feel free to come drop by and watch me crash into various things.

That includes you @Andrew R

I got hooked on racing in GT6 again, and now have moved onto pCARS...pretty addicted :lol:

I tried going back to GT6, but I cant deal with the DS3 after using the DS4 :banghead: everything is so loosey goosey.

I'm going to stick my neck out here a bit, and put partial blame on the mods from :GTPlanet: This community became as much a social community as it was a GT6 Drifting community. People wanted to talk about all things drifting: GT, Forza, AC, rFactor, etc, plus real life drifting - everything from street cars, personal builds, Pro and Am competitions, to fun/silly stuff like drift tricycles and RC drifting. And they wanted to do it all in one place on the forums, not have to check a dozen sub forums on this massive website.

This forum, sadly, was only for talking about drifting in GT6. We saw many threads locked and/or closed for being "off topic". People were basically told to "talk about that stuff elsewhere." So now they do, as has been mentioned.

That, combined with how dead GT6 is as a whole (for a whole host of reasons, many have been mentioned), and it's not surprising that people don't have too much "GT6 Drift" related stuff to talk about.

Don't get me wrong, the community didn't help itself much with all the fighting and stuff. I think a lot of the mods just got sick of it after 5+ years.

I think the 🤬 state of online stability has a ton to do with it as well. I don't think there's anything more infuriating for most people than costantly disconnecting and constantly not being able to see other people in the lobby.

Probably abit late, but i officially have my first drive on the G27 tomorrow. A few of us are coming online around about 5pm EST for Australians, and +10GMT for internationals. So feel free to come drop by and watch me crash into various things.

That includes you @Andrew R

I'm going to jump on now for another go with the ds3. Where would I find you guys?

In my case, having full time school and work doesn't leave any spare time other than for those two and occasionally fitness. I'm dying to get back again but procrastination is not an option. Gotta wait until semester is over to at least even think about it.

How's everyone?

In my case, having full time school and work doesn't leave any spare time other than for those two and occasionally fitness. I'm dying to get back again but procrastination is not an option. Gotta wait until semester is over to at least even think about it.

How's everyone?
Experiencing the same thing here man, I cant even think about weekly gaming lool in college its just by occasions ahaha

I think my PS3 might have put me in early retirement. Now shuts itself off. If I unplug the power chord from the back and plug it back in the red light comes back on but it shuts itself off before it even finishes its restart. It had done it a couple of times but unplugging it made it work again.

Annoying. I can't afford a ps4, makes the G27 I bought a few months ago pretty useless to me and I was hoping to get an Xbox one first.

I think my PS3 might have put me in early retirement. Now shuts itself off. If I unplug the power chord from the back and plug it back in the red light comes back on but it shuts itself off before it even finishes its restart. It had done it a couple of times but unplugging it made it work again.

Annoying. I can't afford a ps4, makes the G27 I bought a few months ago pretty useless to me and I was hoping to get an Xbox one first.

Oh noes!

Im practically a stranger here. I always wanted to find time to get involved and make friends with some of the GT6 drift crowd, life got in the way the whole past year it seems like. I dont think I ever got online and drifted with anyone other than an old friend or two from my Forza days.

The course creator has rekindled my interest in GT6 lately, Been playing career again, making some tracks, building some new cars. Might just have to start jumping into random drift lobbies and see what happens. Im pretty sloppy.

Anyone here have xbox one? i have a G920 steering wheel. Im waiting for Assetto corsa to release and update on pc for my wheel to work. and Assetto corsa will be out for xbox one and ps4 some time in 2016 :D,

All of the GT6 forums are dying, unlike the GT5 era there are plenty of better alternatives available on the market and people have just got bored and gone elsewhere. Sort of a shame but you can't really blame them, if I could afford to upgrade to next gen then I'd jump ship as soon as possible

Last edited:
GT6 taught me how to drift. I always wanted to learn how to drift, so I practiced the Drift Bible exercises in GT6, and now I know how to drift in real life. At first learning was difficult, but it's just like real life. Drifting is an advanced driving discipline, so you have to learn advanced driving techniques to do it. All you gotta do is practice the basics and work your way to more advanced techniques.

If anyone on here drifts realistically, get at me because I'm looking to tandem with real drifters. When I say realistically, I mean:

• Don't use a controller
• Don't drift cars with ridiculous power (anything over 600hp is ridiculous, if you can't drift a S-chassis with 300hp, you don't really understand drifting)
• Don't just floor it constantly hitting the rev limiter through every turn, not caring about blowing your engine if it was real life
------
• Use a wheel with at least 900º of rotation (without changing the range of rotation)
• Use real initiations (e-brake, clutch kick, shift lock, lift-off, braking drifts, feints, etc.)

^If you could drift going by these guidelines, this game never gets old because you're practicing real technique that's usable in real life driving.

Let's talk or tandem if you're a real drifter, or if you want to learn real drifting.

PSN: IROCKUROLL
Instagram (I bought the hachi and started drifting it after GT6 taught me how to drift): @JustRLax

Anyway, It's been a year and few months for meBut seriously what happened to mass of active forum members? Or am i oblivious to the activity that goes on in here orrr am i a hopeless romantic?

I like to think it all went pear shaped when this one guy moved into his aunties place in NZ and forgot his login details for GTP...

GT6 taught me how to drift. I always wanted to learn how to drift, so I practiced the Drift Bible exercises in GT6, and now I know how to drift in real life. At first learning was difficult, but it's just like real life. Drifting is an advanced driving discipline, so you have to learn advanced driving techniques to do it. All you gotta do is practice the basics and work your way to more advanced techniques.

If anyone on here drifts realistically, get at me because I'm looking to tandem with real drifters. When I say realistically, I mean:

• Don't use a controller
• Don't drift cars with ridiculous power (anything over 600hp is ridiculous, if you can't drift a S-chassis with 300hp, you don't really understand drifting)
• Don't just floor it constantly hitting the rev limiter through every turn, not caring about blowing your engine if it was real life
------
• Use a wheel with at least 900º of rotation (without changing the range of rotation)
• Use real initiations (e-brake, clutch kick, shift lock, lift-off, braking drifts, feints, etc.)

^If you could drift going by these guidelines, this game never gets old because you're practicing real technique that's usable in real life driving.

Let's talk or tandem if you're a real drifter, or if you want to learn real drifting.

PSN: IROCKUROLL
Instagram (I bought the hachi and started drifting it after GT6 taught me how to drift): @JustRLax
Could you please explain to me how drifting over 600 HP translates into someone not really understanding drifting, and how using a controller isn't realistic please? I believe using a controller gives about the same realisim as using a wheel minus the massive physical feel of pedals, a shifterz and the wheel but once you look past that, they're about the same thing expect one happens to be a less complex concept for physical sensation.

Could you please explain to me how drifting over 600 HP translates into someone not really understanding drifting, and how using a controller isn't realistic please? I believe using a controller gives about the same realisim as using a wheel minus the massive physical feel of pedals, a shifterz and the wheel but once you look past that, they're about the same thing expect one happens to be a less complex concept for physical sensation.

Hey man, I said that about drifting cars with over 600hp because if you start and only learn how to drift high horsepower cars, you could develop bad habits that don't translate to you drifting any other cars. If you learn proper technique and understand how to drift cars with less amounts of hp (AE86 with a 4-AGE is a perfect example), then you could use those techniques in any other car. There is more to drifting than just power, it's more about balance. Which is why you see a lot of pro drivers in Japan drifting street legal cars with 200-600HP because they focus more on technique VS. power. Once you learn how to drift a car with a less power, you could drift any car.

Here's an additional link of people talking about drifting with more/less power: http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1859

Using a controller isn't very realistic when practicing drifting or any other driving technique, because you don't develop the muscle memory that translates to the real world. Drifting especially has a lot to do with timing and hand-eye-foot coordination. It's really important to develop the muscle memory for the different techniques, so when you go and do it in a real car you could do it subconsciously. Having a sim setup with a 900º wheel, 3 pedals, a 6-speed gear box, and a pullable e-brake really helps you to develop real driving technique.

When you use a controller, you can flick the stick left and right in a matter of milliseconds, which isn't really realistic when you think of someone turning the wheel from full lock-to-lock in the same amount of time. You will understand much more about drifting if you could practice doing every initiation the way it is done in a real car. Then by the time you practice in a real car the only difference is the g-forces and the fear, everything else is essentially the same.

I'm in Chicago and you're in WI, so maybe I could teach you how to drift on my simulator.

http://www.justrlax.com/img/simulator.JPG

Last edited:
Back