GT7 and the Chip shortage

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 82 comments

ICEYOU3

(Banned)
United States
Selatapura, Usea
The chip shortage can't be good for next gen only releases like GT7 correct? Could this potentially force Sony to have the game release on PS4 also if supply doesn't catch up with demand in regards to the PlayStation 5?

Last edited:
The chip shortage can't be good for next gen only releases like GT7 correct? Could this potentially force Sony to have the game release on PS4 also if supply doesn't catch up with demand in regards to the PlayStation 5?
I think it's unlikely unless they have been working on a PS4 version from the beginning. I mean adjusting a new game designed for a new console to run on another console that is almost 8 years old is probably going to take a lot of time (if it's even possible)

Jim Ryan said they're ramping up PS5 production during the summer and later this year. Despite covid and chip shortages they've also been able to produce more PS5s than they did PS4 during the same launch time period.

Sony has literally sold more PS5s in the first 6 months than they have ever sold any console in their entire history in the industry, and GT7 is still at least a year away and was never going to be a PS4 game. The problems in the semiconductor industry are irrelevant to GT7.

Last edited:
Sony has literally sold more PS5s in the first 6 months than they have ever sold any console in their entire history in the industry, and GT7 is still at least a year away and was never going to be a PS4 game. The problems in the semiconductor industry are irrelevant to GT7.
Don't most of the sales go to scalpers?

1. People are vastly overestimating scalpers.
2. Scalpers are still going to be flipping PS5s to people desparated enough to buy from them as soon as possible. PS5s aren't stonks, their value drops the longer they're held.

Don't most of the sales go to scalpers?
No.

Thanks to 'Rona, demand has never been higher. Companies can't produce enough content to satisfy demand, which is why everything is sold out, and why scalpers are taking this opportunity to flip these items at extortionate prices.

I originally thought it was all the scalpers' fault too, but then I did some research and heard some news about what's really happening.

Linus explains it very well. (headphone warning)

It should be released on both PS4 and PS5. Crazy not to get the sales of all the GT fans still on PS4.

It should be released on both PS4 and PS5. Crazy not to get the sales of all the GT fans still on PS4.

Making it cross gen doesn’t immediately mean it’ll be super successful on the PS4. Spider-Man Miles Morales has sold way better as a PS5 game compared to its PS4 counterpart.

Also, having to develop the game with the PS4 in mind would really limit what you could do on the PS5

Unless Sony doesn't want to give all the GT fans still on PS4 an excuse to not finally upgrade when it is out. Even sidestepping how much a PS4 version would kneecap it, the game most likely won't come out this year, and therefore won't release until the PS5 is, what? 18 months old? More?

Why would they support a console with a AAA release a year and a half after it's successor has released?

Last edited:
Unless Sony doesn't want to give all the GT fans still on PS4 an excuse to not finally upgrade when it is out. Even sidestepping how much a PS4 version would kneecap it, the game most likely won't come out this year, and therefore won't release until the PS5 is, what? 18 months old? More?

Why would they support a console with a AAA release a year and a half after it's successor has released?
Because there are millions of potential sales still on PS4

In Spring/Summer of 2022? No, there probably aren't. Holidays 2022, if the game takes that long? There definitely aren't.

Last edited:
Because there are millions of potential sales still on PS4

Didn't help GT6 when it launched for PS3 at the arrival of a new generation. And if the reception of GT7 is that it's basically just GTSport with more cars and tracks due to being handicapped by a last-gen machine, then say goodbye to the potential sales of a true next-gen GT.

GT3 came out a year after the ps2 launched and is the highest selling title in the franchise.

Last edited:
Didn't help GT6 when it launched for PS3 at the arrival of a new generation. And if the reception of GT7 is that it's basically just GTSport with more cars and tracks due to being handicapped by a last-gen machine, then say goodbye to the potential sales of a true next-gen GT.

GT3 came out a year after the ps2 launched and is the highest selling title in the franchise.
Exactly, it would be a suicide to launch GT7 also on the ps4

Its OK if you do not agree.
There are a few ways to look at what generation console/s to release a game on. One is you release the same game on each, but the newer console get's better graphics and easy to implement upgrades. These are the Cross Gen games that tend to sell best but they also tend to be bottlenecked to a certain degree by the previous gen console versions development.

A second way to do it would be to engineer a specific GT7 version for the PS4 independantly of the PS5 version, this would have considerably higher costs, it could still compromise the PS5 version by way of dividing workers between developing the two versions and it could mean one or both versions take a lot longer to develop. Ideally you want both versions to release around the same time, otherwise the later release will suffer in sales. It is rare that a developer does this.

The third is to just release a PS4 version instead, this would likely damage sales as history has shown. People do move on to newer consoles and those who have moved on tend to stop going after previous gen games. Some people do, but most people don't. There's a reason PS3 games aren't on the shelves of Game anymore.

The final option is to release a PS5 version only, this is what I think is the sensible option given the length of time between the game being released and the PS5 being released and what all evidence suggests is the case with GT7. Not only is Gran Turismo a game that is considered a system seller which will put more PS5's in peoples homes, but by the time it does release a lot more PS5's whill have been manufactured and sold than there have been currently. So not only will this mean there is already a huge consumer base for the game already owning PS5's, but it will also shift more consoles as well.

I do understand why there are individuals who would prefer it to release on PS4 instead or as well as the PS5, but it really isn't something that makes much sense for them to do from a business perspective.

Last edited:
The final option is to release a PS5 version only, this is what I think is the sensible option given the length of time between the game being released and the PS5 being released and what all evidence suggests is the case with GT7. Not only is Gran Turismo a game that is considered a system seller which will put more PS5's in peoples homes, but by the time it does release a lot more PS5's whill have been manufactured and sold than there have been currently. So not only will this mean there is already a huge consumer base for the game already owning PS5's, but it will also shift more consoles as well.

Precisely! This is what will ensure the PS5 appears in more homes across the world, the current content for the console is good but probably not enough to be selling it in shedloads present issues aside but that will change when GT7 is finally out and if a console edition i.e console + game bundle will sell very well.

This time last year I was absolute, NO PS5, no future consoles, PS4 would be my last and was planning to retire from gaming on happy notes from very good games played in the last years of PS4.

June state of play happened and Kaz appeared revealing GT7 for PS5, everything in my life changed, hard work was required to save the money for the console, I managed to get one on launch day through all the pre-order shenanigans and have it delivered with no issues in the post and here am I ready and waiting for the game.

I would be just a 'teensy' pissed if Sony and PD suddenly 'backheel' and announce it for PS4 with a 'free' PS5 upgrade but the fact not a peep of the game has been heard since last June tells me it's still going to be PS5 only, the screenshots have been well documented showing PS5 only.

When Pre-Orders are finally official then we will know but I do not expect that until at least next year!

With the original launch date I could've just about seen a PS4 version being possible. Still, pretty implausible, given PD and their pedestrian development speed, but possible. Now it's pushed to 2022, and surely late 2022, it seems incredibly unlikely.

Yes there are shortages with PS5 but no so bad that they'll see the need to release a flagship first party on the old console what could be upwards of two years after.

Besides, whilst some of the initial blurb text was slightly open-ended someone noted in one of those Sony promo videos it clearly stated PS5 Exclusive. So that's that. If it wasn't going to have a PS4 version when it was releasing in 2021 it certainly isn't going to have one in 2022.

This one

Trying to make this work on last gen consoles is crazy. This game probably won’t even come out until late 2022.

Last edited:
Trying to make this work on last gen consoles is crazy. This game probably won’t even come out until late 2022.
Would be nice is all I am saying. Man would I love a remastered GT5 to come out. That version was the best in my opinion. Played it again the other day and the cars drive so nice. Looking forward to GT7.

Last edited:
The main reason I bought my PS5 is to get GT7. I have since found a few games that I like but GT7 was a system seller for me. I would be disappointed if they decided to release it for the PS4.

kjb
The main reason I bought my PS5 is to get GT7. I have since found a few games that I like but GT7 was a system seller for me. I would be disappointed if they decided to release it for the PS4.
Dont be too disappointed since the PS5 version would look and perform better

This issue isn't really related to the development of GT7. It may be indirectly if Sony is pushing back big-name titles, however PD is it's own entity and the delayed release may be down to them.

Dont be too disappointed since the PS5 version would look and perform better

It doesn’t change that it’d be developmentally held back because you’re having to develop for a console that was considered underpowered when it released

Moreover, most people aren’t expecting this game to hit shelves until late 2022 - if Sony are two years into the gen I highly doubt they’ll continue to release super high profile crossgen games, they’ll want their userbase to transition over to the new console.

Last edited:
Back