Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its called GT7

Edit: the vote has been replaced by another changing GT7 to GTS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200521-213704_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-213704_Twitter.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I'm mostly happy with GTS's physics as they are - I think they do an admirable job of making the game realistic enough while being playable on a controller. And that controller accessibility is something they cannot lose.

These are the things I have an issue with though regarding GTS physics:

- Not enough throttle control when launching cars - it seems like there's an on/off switch between applying not enough throttle and bogging down to then completely setting the tires alight when the tiniest bit of extra pressure is added.

- It can be sometimes strangely difficult when driving a RWD car to initiate a powerslide/drift - like the front wheels have a little motor on them trying to stop this from happening.

- the odd 'bouncy' collision physics.

I'm more than happy if GT becomes more realistic, provided it has the same balance of controller accessibility that GTS does. Being a forum that I imagine is mostly inhabited by big fans of the franchise and racing (games) in general, the elitist attitudes show through somewhat.

GT sells in massive numbers and they would be doing themselves a disservice if they only catered to those with expensive wheels/rigs - not everyone can afford them, and even if some can, they don't take what is at the end of the day a game so seriously.

I hope the guys at PD add that bouncing behaviour of the suspension when the car jumps after hitting a particulary high curb or a road bump.

WBc7XT3.gif

I feel like on GT the suspension behaviour is a little bit "flat" compared to other simulators such as Assetto Corsa,Automobilista,rFactor 2 etc.

Last edited:
I hope the guys at PD add that bouncing behaviour of the suspension when the car jumps after hitting a particulary high curb or a road bump.

WBc7XT3.gif

I feel like on GT the suspension behaviour is a little bit "flat" compared to other simulators such as Assetto Corsa,Automobilista,rFactor 2 etc.
I'm not well versed in the intricacies of how cars behave but this is something that even I noticed is off. Even Driveclub simulates suspension bounce better tbh. Make the cars twerk, PD.

WBc7XT3.gif

It's not just the suspension but the tyres as well. The tyres have a bit of bounce in them because they're rubber tubes; they would be a bit like a rubber ball bouncing on the floor if you drop them. When the car lands after hitting the curb, the rebound is greater than what the suspension can handle, inducing this "hopping" effect. The force is to transferred to the tyre, which then hits the road and bounces back up until the suspension settles down again. At least that's how I'd explain it anyway.

I voted no.

How come every new game that gets announced we need a thread like this where people from the super serious sim society come down from their perch to criticize Gran Turismo for not being something that it will never become?

Gran Turismo’s physics are great for the kind of game it is. It’s realistic enough for professional racers like Lewis Hamilton and David Perel to be interested in it, but still easy enough for JDMFan1992 to jump on and pop sick drifts all over Suzuka East for hours on end without needing a wheel.

You gotta remember that giving Gran Turismo uber realistic physics is a business decision as much as it is a gameplay decision. The game carries with it a huge casual fanbase that PC sims could only dream of having. Try dropping rFactor physics into GT7 and see how many millions less it will sell after alienating a sizeable chunk of the fanbase.

Now I’m not saying GT7 can’t improve upon the physics engine at all, but expecting Sony to have a system selling racing game and a full-blown simulation title at the same time is asking too much.

EDIT: I also thought, why would GT even need to lean more towards being a hardcore sim now anyways? The Sim Racing genre is already so oversaturated, people who buy into those kinds of games really don’t need another option on the market when they’re so catered for already. If you’re reading this and you’re a hardcore sim racer, you probably already have a preferred platform so why would GT need to fulfill the same niche as a game you already own?

Last edited:
I hope they improve the rain physics by adding a real layer of water on the track surface that can interact with the tyres and not just a grip reduction like on GT5/GT6/GTS...
i also wish they improve the braking with abs off and add flatspots to the tire model

Last edited:
I also hope they fix FF cars since on GTS they are so so understeery...nearly undrivable honestly
When I drove an FK2 CTR, I was shocked how different the car drives than its virtual counterpart. Especially where in GTS it lacks mid-turn grip (even more under throttle), in real life you actually counter the understeer with throttle (thanks to great LSD) and the car just bites into the roar with front wheels, which is a totally opposite behaviour of what the car does in GTS.

The EK9 CTR in GTS handles much better though.

Another thing i've noticed playing GT5,on GTS it's like they have reduced the mass/heavyness and the weight shift of the cars (especially road cars). i feel that on GT5 they feel more heavy than on GTS. Another thing its that they are way less undesrsteery than on GTS. I wish on GT7 they fix this problems

Another thing i've noticed playing GT5,on GTS it's like they have reduced the mass/heavyness and the weight shift of the cars (especially road cars). i feel that on GT5 they feel more heavy than on GTS. Another thing its that they are way less undesrsteery than on GTS. I wish on GT7 they fix this problems
There was speculation from a long time ago that the gravity coefficient is too light. Hence cars sliding too far and pulling wheelies and such. The cars just aren't as planted as they should be.

Natural frequency tends to be a bit high for road cars in GTS, and I wouldn't be surprise if some cars had their weight distribution changed since previous games.

Edit: It's probably on a car by car basis. Some cars are definitely stiffer but others might be softer than previous games.

There was speculation from a long time ago that the gravity coefficient is too light. Hence cars sliding too far and pulling wheelies and such. The cars just aren't as planted as they should be.
Interesting,that's why probably the rebound of tyres/suspension is so lame on GTS,because probably the cars are very light due to unrealistic gravity coefficient compared to real life

Sounds like someone is overthinking things.
Sounds like you're stuck on thinking only one thing when there could be multiple contributors to the issue.
There's a myriad of problems with the handling in GTS and thinking that it's only the spring rate seems numb to the problem as a whole.

Sounds like you're stuck on thinking only one thing when there could be multiple contributors to the issue.
That's the opposite of what I was suggesting, but sure.

Gravity is just such a weird thing to be incorrect that I doubt it's the issue at hand. As you mentioned, there could be many other things.

Last edited:

I love how the car bounces due to road bumps. It would be amazing to have something similar on GT7

Yeah but I feel like the track surfaces in GTS’ tracks are also too smooth, which further contributes to the problem. Bump sensation is very rare in GTS I think.

Yeah but I feel like the track surfaces in GTS’ tracks are also too smooth, which further contributes to the problem. Bump sensation is very rare in GTS I think.
I don't think they are flat since they are made with laserscan but in my opinion it is the suspension system/tires lack of rebound that makes the tracks look flat

Even though the tracks are laser scanned, LIDAR, that doesn't mean they can't take the road mesh and flatten any peaks and valleys. The lidar is still used for scale, elevation and track object placement and size. My assumption would be if you wanted a more accessible online racing series, without the car being tossed around by road bumps, you'd flatten the track a bit. Problem is, it makes for a boring driving experience, especially in higher end wheel bases with detailed FFB.
We'll just have to see if they think this is a viable feature or they try to go a more realistic direction. The video of Assetto Corsa looks good, it seems though that PD would have a lot more work to do from the basis of GTS to reach that level.

https://www.ansiblemotion.com/autom...s referred to as simply,as well as road/track

Latest Posts

Back