Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I love how the car bounces due to road bumps. It would be amazing to have something similar on GT7

Yeah but I feel like the track surfaces in GTS’ tracks are also too smooth, which further contributes to the problem. Bump sensation is very rare in GTS I think.
That Celica bouncing is probably just crappy damper tuning lol. But as for road bumps I think GTS does one of the better jobs of it. Games like iRacing either feel and look like the car is floating along not even touching the ground or grip levels are so delicate that it's impossible to keep a car on the road over minor bumps. Keep in mind that GT needs to sell millions of copies to people of all skills levels. They could very easily make the game so "realistic" that it's very difficult and inaccessible for most people. That's how you kill a franchise.

Last edited:
They could very easily make the game so "realistic" that it's very difficult
Sure thing.
tenor.gif

So you want them to go out of business is what you're saying.
First I'd like to see them come out with one of their products when they say they're going to come out with it. But this is nothing new with PD.
After that, it would be nice to see them attempt to keep up with with the status quo of the genre they're in. As someone who played the first Gran Turismo when it came out and everyone basically there after, it was fun to see their next cutting edge GT title that broke the barriers in what racing could be. Now days, there are a lot of different companies that have surpassed realism and immersion compared to Gran Turismo. The rF2's, AMS2's, ACC's ect. But if they stay on playstation, which they most likely will, it's good to be accessible to a 10 year old boy as well, that's another sale when it comes down to it.

PD haven't made anything "so realistic" to date. It would be nice to see them be able to pull something off like that though. Not sure if they have it in their game plan or business model for that matter even though it still says "the real driving simulator". Not sure what that has to do with going out of business though. I'm not sure if realism equates to going out of business. I think PD will be just fine no matter what they do, even if people still complain about GT7 like they did GTS, they still had to buy it somehow to figure out they wanted to complain about it.

That Celica bouncing is probably just crappy damper tuning lol. But as for road bumps I think GTS does one of the better jobs of it. Games like iRacing either feel and look like the car is floating along not even touching the ground or grip levels are so delicate that it's impossible to keep a car on the road over minor bumps. Keep in mind that GT needs to sell millions of copies to people of all skills levels. They could very easily make the game so "realistic" that it's very difficult and inaccessible for most people. That's how you kill a franchise.
Im not sayng they have to go full simulation but they can improve a lot from GTS and the rebound of the suspension/tires is one of these areas that imho the game is very lacking,heck even an arcade like Project Cars 3 has much lively cars than GTS

they still had to buy it somehow to figure out they wanted to complain about it.
No, they really don't. A lot of people in this forum are testament to that fact. The losing money part has to do with the fact that the more sim oriented games just don't get the light of day compared the easy to access games like Forza and Gran Turismo. Would PD do better with popularity? Probably, but I really don't feel it would do better than one that is a lot more accessible to a lot more people.

Im not sayng they have to go full simulation but they can improve a lot from GTS and the rebound of the suspension/tires is one of these areas that imho the game is very lacking,heck even an arcade like Project Cars 3 has much lively cars than GTS
Project Cars 3 is not arcade, especially not compared to Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
No, they really don't. A lot of people in this forum are testament to that fact.

Project Cars 3 is not arcade, especially not compared to Gran Turismo.
Project Cars 3 it is pretty muh an arcade even compared to GTS, maybe forza it's a closer match for that game

Last edited:
Project Cars 3 it is pretty muh an arcade even compared to GTS, maybe forza it's closer match for that game
Yeah, no. It's really not much more a sim than Forza. Forza and GT have always populated that middle ground of Sim's, more associated towards Sim-cade as a title. That much has always been obvious. Project Cars has always been above both within it's simulation.

Last edited:
Yeah, no. It's really not much more a sim than Forza. Forza and GT have always populated that middle ground of Sim's, more associated towards Sim-cade as a title. That much has always been obvious. Project Cars has always been above both within it's simulation.
Do you have PC3? Ehhh, it's pretty arcadey. I mean, you have to run over blocks and there's no tire model really, other than if you buy these, they stick more than the worse ones. I still use PC3 more than I'll ever use GTS but that's mostly because my rig is setup on PC.

(PC2 yes is nice, especially on PC where it's different than on PS4, but they crapped the bed a bit with PC3. Still more road detail and FFB than GTS has.)

Last edited:
No im sayng that PJC 3 it is much more close to forza than GTS meaning that it is quite arcadey,at least playing it to me seemed quite a bit more unrealistic than GT honestly. It is quite a big downgrade from PJC2

Last edited:
Do you have PC3? Ehhh, it's pretty arcadey. I mean, you have to run over blocks and there's no tire model really, other than if you buy these, they stick more than the worse ones. I still use PC3 more than I'll ever use GTS but that's mostly because my rig is setup on PC.
Strictly speaking of what it simulates a vehicle doing, not the mini games and gimmicks it has. I really don't think the things mentioned is going to put it at a lower point than either of them. Hell, as far as I remember, you can't even adjust tire pressure on GT. Is Pcars dumbed down from previous versions? Sure, you'd be right to go with that.

I'm really waiting for it to hit the bargain bin before the thought of buying it ever crosses my mind. I haven't been much into gaming in general lately.

No im sayng that PJC 3 it is much more close to forza than GT3 meaning that it is quite arcadey,at least playing it to me seemed quite a bit more unrealistic than GT honestly
And again, Forza and GT really aren't that far apart in terms of them being a "sim". They populate the middle ground, the sim-cade area many like to call it.

Last edited:
And again, Forza and GT really aren't that far apart in terms of how they simulate things. They populate the middle ground, the sim-cade area many like to call it.
Yeah they are listed both as simcades but there's quite a big difference between the two games in terms of driving physics but that is another topic

Last edited:
Is Pcars dumbed down from previous versions? Sure, you'd be right to go with that.
I regret to say that PC3 is significantly dumbed down from PC2. I use it when I want to pop a few beers and not be serious but still, it frustrates me with AI that you basically have to bang off of and constantly hit to get by them.

Yeah they are listed both as simcades but there's quite a big difference between the two games in terms of driving physics
They both do things that the other doesn't. It doesn't change the fact that they're both populating the same ground covering very similar area's. Neither of them are really trumping each other on anything that has to do with it. That you prefer one over the other doesn't change that.

I regret to say that PC3 is significantly dumbed down from PC2. I use it when I want to pop a few beers and not be serious but still, it frustrates me with AI that you basically have to bang off of and constantly hit to get by them.
I did a ninja edit, but my past with SMS has been rocky. I likely wont ever own the game unless it gets cheap enough that it makes that pill easier to swallow, but I definitely have been wanting to give it a thorough go through.

I'm really waiting for it to hit the bargain bin before the thought of buying it ever crosses my mind.
It's 60% off in Days of Play, and I cannot recommend enough that you still don't even bother at that price. I've been very deliberate in driving cars I have driven fast in the real world - on road and on track - and I simply don't recognise the game versions at all. There are... many other issues aside from the fact it's just nasty to drive.

Honestly, if they were gunning for the old "spiritual successor to Shift", I can see (or feel) it in the physics. Never mind FM7, Horizon 4 feels more authentic at times...

I did a ninja edit, but my past with SMS has been rocky. I likely wont ever own the game unless it gets cheap enough that it makes that pill easier to swallow, but I definitely have been wanting to give it a thorough go through.
It's fun for what it is for a bit but it get's rather old after a while. There's no need to do 10 - 20 lap races against AI, that's for sure. Once you pass them, it's done.

And to keep it on topic, that's the same exact problem with GTS that I would hope GT7 will fix. GTS is boring, hell, we can't even get random grids when using AI. I race online in AMS2, AC, ACC, I'm not paying to use GTS online especially that it doesn't support my DD2. I would have more interest and so it would seem shingo_civic too, if GT had a more realistic feel to it.

It's fun for what it is for a bit but it get's rather old after a while. There's no need to do 10 - 20 lap races against AI, that's for sure. Once you pass them, it's done.

And to keep it on topic, that's the same exact problem with GTS that I would hope GT7 will fix. GTS is boring, hell, we can't even get random grids when using AI. I race online in AMS2, AC, ACC, I'm not paying to use GTS online especially that it doesn't support my DD2. I would have more interest and so it would seem shingo_civic too, if GT had a more realistic feel to it.
Yeah i mean they don't need to completely disrupt what they already have since imho the base line it's quite good, if they improve some of these areas that we mentioned in this thread GT7 can be really really interesting also in the physics department

Last edited:
It's 60% off in Days of Play, and I cannot recommend enough that you still don't even bother at that price. I've been very deliberate in driving cars I have driven fast in the real world - on road and on track - and I simply don't recognise the game versions at all. There are... many other issues aside from the fact it's just nasty to drive.

Honestly, if they were gunning for the old "spiritual successor to Shift", I can see (or feel) it in the physics. Never mind FM7, Horizon 4 feels more authentic at times...
Then it sounds like the time is now. Still though, after that, I'm not so sure I even want to :lol:. I might as well bite the bullet and give it a shot, though. I'm not playing much else at the moment.

As for Horizon, its odd.. its the one we can straight out call an arcade game, but a good amount of times it feels more right than these in question.

I'm honestly getting this feeling from most racing games in general lately. That's disappointing to hear though as the Ai was what I liked in previous iterations. Gran Turismo scrapes the bottom of the barrel with it, Forza has it's times but even on the highest setting they're still fairly easily beatable, and sometimes over a full lap. Bummed to hear that that got watered down as well.

Hell, as far as I remember, you can't even adjust tire pressure on GT.
You can't. But you can in Asseto Corsa, and as Basic Ollie speaks about the mechanic is obtuse as hell, so much so that it distracts from the driving and racing experience of the game, much of your car's drivability relying on that one single tuning aspect. Being that GT Sport is a racing game, not a tuning game, I would be equally annoyed by such a finicky mechanic. I'm not an engineer, I don't have time to deal with stuff like that. I want racing action.

You can't. But you can in Asseto Corsa, and as Basic Ollie speaks about the mechanic is obtuse as hell, so much so that it distracts from the driving and racing experience of the game, much of your car's drivability relying on that one single tuning aspect. Being that GT Sport is a racing game, not a tuning game, I would be equally annoyed by such a finicky mechanic. I'm not an engineer, I don't have time to deal with stuff like that. I want racing action.
Yeah i agree,i also don't want a thousand options for tuning (the best way to race online it is with fixed setups like they do in sport mode), the important thing to me it's a good driving model

Yeah i agree,i also don't want a thousand options for tuning (the best way to race online it is with fixed setups like they do in sport mode), the important thing to me it's a good driving model

Well then don't tune - Though, that didn't really have much to do with what was being talked about. Either way, tuning and racing is not mutually exclusive so I'm not exactly sure labeling it as a racing game is a reason to not have it. It's also not a camera game, nor is it a painting shop game. Those are very much appreciated features, though.

For one make races that's completely understandable, but if you're in a field with a variety of different types of vehicles, bringing out the most in your car in any way you can is a must for me.

Last edited:
Well then don't tune - Though, that didn't really have much to do with what was being talked about. Either way, tuning and racing is not mutually exclusive so I'm not exactly sure labeling it as a racing game is a reason to not have it. It's also not a camera game, nor is it a painting shop game. Those are very much appreciated features, though.

For one make races that's completely understandable, but if you're in a field with a variety of different types of vehicles, bringing out the most in your car in any way you can is a must for me.
You have the tuning options for the setup also on GTS, i hope they don't add even more options as tire pressure and other stuff otherwise it would become too confusionary for most of the players

Last edited:
You have the tuning options for the setup also on GTS, i hope they don't add even more options as tire pressure and other stuff otherwise it would become too confusionary for most of the players
I hope they add in as much as they can as long as its sensible. That some people might not understand the things they're doing shouldn't be a reason to exclude it, it sounds like a terrible reason really. A simple solution of offering tips would literally solve that. If you don't want to use it that's fine, but I don't see how that's a reason to exclude it for everyone, just because you don't prefer it. It should be an option.

More detailed physics like this thread is about would only make sense for more detailed tuning options.

Last edited:
They could very easily make the game so "realistic" that it's very difficult and inaccessible for most people. That's how you kill a franchise.
Funny you say that because I find Assetto Corsa easier to play than GT Sport... Cars act in a way you'd expect. The physics are based on real life and I must say it does a very good job of imitating it on a consumer level. What works in real life will work in-game; you don't have to get used to a physics engine with a unique set of quirks which may be counter-intuitive. Now I've never driven a race car but I've watched motorsport since I was 1 and I'm well aware of the techniques required. Realistic doesn't mean hard.

It's not obtuse and it doesn't distract from the experience. Most cars handle just fine out of the box. You don't need to tune the car unless you want to extract the maximum performance from it.

Now I've never driven a race car but I've watched motorsport since I was 1
Well that settles it then! I have driven downforce cars and I'm pretty satisfied with how GTS represents them. Competizione has a better damping model noticeable over curbs but overall the differences between the two games are negligible. I don't see anything about either game's physics as "quirky".

Well that settles it then! I have driven downforce cars and I'm pretty satisfied with how GTS represents them. Competizione has a better damping model noticeable over curbs but overall the differences between the two games are negligible. I don't see anything about either game's physics as "quirky".
Well I didn't know that. Anyway I find GT Sport to be worse in many aspects and I speak from experience when I say that it requires a different technique compared to ACC. To me the differences are more than negligible, especially on a controller. The simpler physics model of GT Sport with it's built in driver aids takes some control away from me, and I sometimes feel as though I'm fighting the game. I want full control over the car and what it does so I only have myself to blame for any errors, rather than a strange quirk of the physics engine. Assetto Corsa gives me more control over the car and absolutely nothing is dampened or watered down to assist the driver... Apart from the systems in the car. The steering won't return to centre instantly and you can't be aggressive on corner entry or you'll induce understeer instantly. It gives instant feedback and that's critical for me to extract the best from the car and myself. GT Sport gives less feedback for me to act upon, limiting my potential.

Last edited:
The way the Toyota bounces, Assetto Corsa replicate that with their suspension model. The Group A E30 and DTM 190E, behave the same. Same bouncing skipping over curbs.

That's something I wish PD did replicate with the old Group A/JGTC Skyline R32.

Back