GTA: Liberty City Stories

murphykieran
So, is anyone else playing it?

I picked it up this morning and I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't done any missions, just been riding around Portland, exploring stuff for the past couple of hours. The graphics aren't too bad. Definitely better than GTAIII, but pretty dated looking. The GTA games never looked as good as some other PS2 games and the PS2 is getting old.

It's fun being in Liberty City with motorbikes to play around on. I've only found one hidden package and one unique stunt so far.

My only problem is... I've got no memory card! I haven't used the PS2 in months and when I dusted it off and plugged it in, I realised that the memory card was missing. I know I saw it somewhere recently, but I haven't a freakin' clue where. Bugger.

KM.

Its under your couch... ;)

Good luck finding your card...

I'm pretty far along now... I'm on the 2nd island and believe I'm getting close to moving on to the 3rd...

There are a few differences as you will see--- alot of construction went on in LC in those 3 years although most of its the same... alot more side stuff to do-- I've stumbled upon a fair amount so far but have done very little-- my completion is about 30%

I still never found a rampage on the first island although I didn't look real hard.. I've found 4 on the 2nd... They don't move on you if you fail them though.

I've only found 14 packages (not that I've looked very hard), completed 2 jumps, and only 1 rampage. I did do firefighter (the only R3 I've done so far)-- I should get paramedic out of the way...

Slick Rick
I was going to buy it yesterday but i decided to buy blood money instead.
Whats the storyline like in the game?
The usual really.

Hoodlum who's new/back in town goes to work with various local gangsters and takes part in organised crime and turf wars against rival gangs. So far I'm not sure what the overall story arc is about. I've only been playing a few hours.

And I found my memory card. But I had to restart from scratch because there wasn't enough space on it so I had to reboot, clear some old saved games and start again.

KM.

I'm still on the first island. I've mostly been doing the story missions but have spent some time selling cars. It's been a blast doing new missions in Liberty City :).

Does anyone know if the Import/Export garage missions are in this game?

So far no import/export garage--

But you do get to steal and deliver cars somewhere (wouldn't be Grand theft auto otherwise).... I can't reveal more without giving away a spoiler-- I will say its on the 2nd island--- keep your eyes open its not indicated in the story missions. PM me if you want specific info..

I bought the game a couple weeks ago but havn't had a chance to play it until recently. I've not done much in the game yet but I have to say I'm having a lot of fun being able to zip around Liberty City in a bike. Does anyone know if the dodo or maybe other airplanes/helicopters are available?

I don't think there's any flying vehicles in the game. Not without cheating anyway. There's no "Distance flown" in your stats and from what I've read, the choppers and planes are only unlockable in the PSP version using something called the CheatDevice.

I don't think I'm far from unlocking Staunton Island now.

KM.

No, there is no legitimate way to get any aircraft, except in the one Portland mission where you follow that helicopter. Supposedly if you can get a bike on top of that last building and ride through (and past) the marker that triggers the next action you can get in it. But you can only fly a little ways before it fails you. Most buildings don't have roofs either.

I've unlocked Staunton Island. It's nice to see that Liberty City isn't exactly the same. There's a few changes. There's an area of Staunton that's very different - I wonder if it's part of the plot.

KM.

Ebiggs
No, there is no legitimate way to get any aircraft, except in the one Portland mission where you follow that helicopter. Supposedly if you can get a bike on top of that last building and ride through (and past) the marker that triggers the next action you can get in it. But you can only fly a little ways before it fails you. Most buildings don't have roofs either.

I was hoping they changed it for the PS2 version--

nothing at the airport.... not even a dodo... :(

I wonder why they didn't put aircraft in. If they could include bikes, then they could have included aircraft. Just stick a couple of airplanes and choppers at the airport so that when you've unlocked the Shoreside Vale, you're free to use them.

KM.

Yeah, that's a shame :(.
Also, it's too bad there aren't any Import/Export garages. But, the stealing and delivering of cars that Spuds mentioned sounds intriguing.

I'm still only on the first island but so far I also like the slight changes to Liberty City. I think I prefer the vehicle handling in GTA3, but maybe I just haven't played LCS enough yet. I was checking some FAQs yesterday to see if the Import/Export garage was in the game but ended up coming across a pretty juicy bit of info... but I won't spoil it :).

My brother bought this game yesterday and I've not had chance to play it yet, although I've seen him playing it quite a bit. I'm a big fan of the GTA games, but I prefer them in the order they were released, ie I like GTA3 the most, then Vice City, then San Andreas. And sadly, it seems this game is San Andreas in Liberty City.

The graphics engine, screen layout, poor radio music (which is understandable here seeing as the soundtrack isn't licensed), weather functions, safe house format, ability to change clothes etc are either identical or borrow heavily from San Andreas. I either wanted something new (like the other games offered), or the GTA3 type of format. I can't put my finger on exactly why I didn't particularly like San Andreas - I just didn't. And that's why I'm reluctant to play this game.

I don't think it's fair to complain about the limitations of the game, however. After all, it's a PSP game at the end of the day and I'm impressed with it's quality in that aspect. Everything is better quality than I anticipated - the graphics, length, detail etc. But like I said it's too much like San Andreas for me.

I suppose it might be a good game for the £17, but still I doubt I'll get too enthused with it like I did GTA3 and Vice City. But let's wait and see. :)

Just my 2c on the game as I've seen it so far (which granted is fairly limited).

The clothes changing is (thankfully) nothing like changing clothes in San Andreas.... takes 5 minutes to change clothes in SA... I can do that faster in real life...

Now I'm just mad that they didn't throw a maverick (or better yet a hunter) in the game... at least a reward for 100%-- guess they didn't want to add all the roof collision data to the old LC city that they must have just copied over and then just edited in the changes...

But not even a dodo... shame on Rockstar...

markj_87
And sadly, it seems this game is San Andreas in Liberty City.
In my opinion, it's nothing like San Andreas in Liberty City. It's more like GTAIII, with some of Vice City's features.

For the following reasons:
It's set in Liberty City (GTA3)
There's motorbikes (VC/SA)
Loading screens between areas (GTA3/VC)
Just 1 safehouse per area (GTA3)
Multiple weapons available per slot (VC/SA)
Working for old bosses like Don Salvatore/Donald Love (GTA3)
Etc. etc.

Yup, this game is more like GTAIII with a selection of improvements from Vice City and San Andreas. You could write a book about the San Andreas features that aren't in this game - eating food, exercising, modding cars, haircuts, recruiting gang members, sneaking up on people, gang wars, swimming, flying planes and choppers, mountains, desert & forests, a huge vareity of vehicles like dump trucks, cranes, bulldozers, forklift trucks etc., etc. etc.

KM.

KM.

Most of those things were probably restricted from the game because of the limitations of the PSP compared with the PS2. Obviously the similarities with GTA3 are apparent because it's set in the same place, but it plays most like San Andreas. It's not a problem if you prefer SA of course, a lot of people do. And it's understandable since SA was the last GTA release.

I might give it a go sometime this week and see what I really think. :)

I picked it up on the day after it was released (snow slowed down the delivery trucks by about two days) and have only played it once so far, but really like it.

The graphics aren't too flash, but it is pretty cool to wander around the place trying to see what is different in the city compared to GTAIII (spotted heaps so far, but won't mention any in here incase people want to find out for themselves).

Already completed all the firetruck missions (lv. 15 and 123 fires put out - would have been more but there were just too many people on fire running around and i ran out of time) in one go. Noticed there seems to be garbage truck missions, but haven't tried them yet. Attempted one car sale but... kinda went for a swim - while me and customer were still in the car. :embarrassed:

Visited the hospital three times, but never seen the Police Station up close yet. :D Also done all of the time trials on the motorbike course near the fire station and Head Radio, was quite fun.

I noticed the city seems to be a LOT cleaner/brighter looking than GTAIII and trees etc seem to have more promenant shadows this time, even though they appear to be static.

So, what seperates the cities this time around?
I'm greatly interested since SA has become boring, and I miss the atmosphere of Liberty City.

Are all the streets the same?

I have it, and it's not bad, although they kinda slipped the PS2 version in unannounced, even the staff at the store were suprised when it arrived!

I am enjoying it so far, even with what seems to me to be a higher than usual (for a GTA game) levels frustration at the lack of weapons and such at the start of the game. But thats just me, I get used to having loads of cash and weapons, and when I dont have them I get snooty

*McLaren*
So, what seperates the cities this time around?
When you start the game, the bridge from Portland to Staunton Island is under construction and the ferry service isn't working. I won't give any more away because it's part of the plot.

Are all the streets the same?
Pretty much the same. There's a few construction sites where there's buildings in GTAIII and vice versa, and a few businesses are different, but it's pretty much the same Liberty City from GTAIII.

Though I haven't been to Shoreside Vale yet.

And they've brought back the police spikestrips! They weren't in San Andreas for some reason. And they seem tougher to avoid than in Vice City.

KM.

Yes, all of the streets are the same, but there is some new development, for example, the park close to the redlight district where the diablos always hung out is being turned into condos. lots of new contruction...kind of neat to see, like if you've ever moved from one city in RL and then went back in a couple of years....the same but different.

TwinTurboJay
Yes, all of the streets are the same, but there is some new development, for example, the park close to the redlight district where the diablos always hung out is being turned into condos. lots of new contruction...kind of neat to see, like if you've ever moved from one city in RL and then went back in a couple of years....the same but different.
Hmm, so I wonder if that means the construction yard near the Hospital on Stauton is finished. Definately will have to rent this.

*McLaren*
Hmm, so I wonder if that means the construction yard near the Hospital on Stauton is finished. Definately will have to rent this.
The game is set before GTAIII, so that construction yard doesn't exist yet. But you can see what was there before that construction project began.

KM.

Is Lib City worth buying then guys?

I've loved all the other games, but from what i've read above it doesn't sound much different to GTAIII.

Mind you, i'd still pay £17 for GTAIII with different missions.

the mission are deifferent, althoughthere isn't much more they can do except change the names and locations. It's not as in depth as SA, but still fairly good quality.

TheCracker
Is Lib City worth buying then guys?
I'd say so. It's only half the price of a regular PS2 game.

I've loved all the other games, but from what i've read above it doesn't sound much different to GTAIII. Mind you, i'd still pay £17 for GTAIII with different missions.
If you're feeling nostalgic for GTAIII, but would like some new missions and some of features of Vice City - mainly motorbikes but a few other minor features, then you'll enjoy it.

Keep in mind, it's a serious comedown after San Andreas though, but it sounds as if it'd be worth your while picking itup.

KM.

I've got it and so far I'm struggling to get into it. Once the novelty of bikes wears off it gets a little boring for me. I'll get into it eventually though, I'm just distracted at the moment.

One thing that really dissapoints me is not being able to swim. I understand it would have been a bit of work but I think it would have been worth it. It's quite a half assed attempt at the game in my opinion.

Latest Posts

Back