GTA3 even more banned in Australia

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 16 comments

How much does it suck that GTA is banned in Australia?

• A lot

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • A lot

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • A lot

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • A lot

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Gee - did it slip back to 1950 in Australia when I wasn't looking.

As mentioned in an earlier thread (which I would have re-used if I could find it), GTA3 was refused classification by the Office of Film & Literature a couple of weeks ago.

Rockstar appealed, and, this week, the appeal was rejected.

So it's illegal to sell, distribute, buy or even watch GTA3 in Australia.

This of course means I will play it at full volume with the upstair balcony open while shouting 'Hey I'm playing GTA3 and I don't care anymore!'.

So, if I disappear from the boards from a couple of weeks, you'll know what happened - send guns and money!!

Originally posted by vat_man
Gee - did it slip back to 1950 in Australia when I wasn't looking.

As mentioned in an earlier thread (which I would have re-used if I could find it), GTA3 was refused classification by the Office of Film & Literature a couple of weeks ago.

Rockstar appealed, and, this week, the appeal was rejected.

This of course means I will play it at full volume with the upstair balcony open while shouting 'Hey I'm playing GTA3 and I don't care anymore!'.

So, if I disappear from the boards from a couple of weeks, you'll know what happened - send guns and money!!

Do you need that in AUD, and what kind of gun are you looking for?

Actually, I'm not the violent type. I'm quite passive ... mostly I -ignore- the law and do my own thing in private.

~LoudMusic

No way...you can't even watch it, even if you're over 18? :eek: What are the consequences if you're found breaking the law?

Originally posted by Jordan
No way...you can't even watch it, even if you're over 18? :eek: What are the consequences if you're found breaking the law?

They take your Playstation away and force you to watch wholesome television programming like Full House (:

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

They take your Playstation away and force you to watch wholesome television programming like Full House (:

~LoudMusic

Nah mate - death penalty's been banned here.

Dunno - assume they confiscate the offending material. It's like jaywalking, it's never enforced, but if they see it on the shelves (ie. someone complains) they'd be confiscated and the vendor fined.

BTW - You can pick multiple options (well spotted, fellas)

The real issue here is that video games are still perceived as a children's past time, and the Government has yet to recognise that a lot of games are now over 18 - especially with the new generation of machines.

Games are rated the same as movies and magazines, C, G, PG, M, and so on.

However, whilst films and mags have R and X ratings, video games don't - so if you're too violent/sexy for an M rating, you don't get classification. So you're effectively banned.

I had this argument with a friend over the weekend on this. He's in his forties, just bought himself a Scalextric car racing set. He had one as a child, and wanted one now his boys were old enough to appreciate it.

As we drank beers and had increasingly spectacular accidents (these may have been related) he poo-pooed my playing video games.

I pointed out that I had been playing video games since the glorious Colecovision vs Atari 2600 days (before I was 10!), so it was just as valid as his slot car set as a hobby.

We drank more beer, so I don't remember what happened after that...

Do you need that in AUD, and what kind of gun are you looking for?

Actually, I'm not the violent type. I'm quite passive ... mostly I -ignore- the law and do my own thing in private.

~LoudMusic

Actually the way the currency is $10US will probably keep me going for a couple of weeks.

I need a BIG LOUD gun - a blunderbuss, perhaps?

Nah mate - death penalty's been banned here.

Dunno - assume they confiscate the offending material. It's like jaywalking, it's never enforced, but if they see it on the shelves (ie. someone complains) they'd be confiscated and the vendor fined.

BTW - You can pick multiple options (well spotted, fellas)

Hey, I tell ya, we're some sharp fellas.

And Full House isn't a death sentence ... it's more like 40 lashes. It gets you real close to death, but doesn't kill you. You might wish you were dead, but noooooooooo .... there's always another episode for them to force into your brain. The only saving grace about that show was the rocker's wife. She's a hottie.

~LoudMusic

Hey, I tell ya, we're some sharp fellas.

And Full House isn't a death sentence ... it's more like 40 lashes. It gets you real close to death, but doesn't kill you. You might wish you were dead, but noooooooooo .... there's always another episode for them to force into your brain. The only saving grace about that show was the rocker's wife. She's a hottie.

~LoudMusic

I'm pretty sure I would die during such punishment, if only by sheer willpower.

I'm pretty sure I would die during such punishment, if only by sheer willpower.

Ok, that I'll give you. Self induced implotion ... I should start practicing that ...

~LoudMusic

Oh yeah - checked out the GTA3 box last night - there is a sticker on there indicating MA 15+ (high level animated violence, apparently).

They must have received an preliminary rating.

For those interested in the detail on this, check the following:

http://www.oflc.gov.au/PDFs/RevBoard_GTA3.pdf

http://www.oflc.gov.au/PDFs/GTA3.PDF

and also a discussion of games classifications at:
http://www.oflc.gov.au/PDFs/rev_class.PDF

Dude, the "Office of Film and Literature Classification" has the gayest logo I've seen in a very long time. I bet they're a bunch of wankers.

I'm glad they're actually enforcing their law. At least that much is possitive. I think this line is funny though, "If you have already purchased a game you will need to contact your retailer about return procedures." That makes me laugh, really really hard.

~LoudMusic

If you have already purchased a game you will need to contact your retailer about return procedures." That makes me laugh, really really hard.
~LoudMusic

Yeah - I tried. The phone was busy. Nuts.

Back